Apple reportedly probing carriers about potential $100 premium for next-gen iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 159
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

If, Apple decided to put Sapphire ( expensive ) and Liquid Metal Body, then there could be a rise of at least $20-$25 BOM. 

But both seems so far away from mass production I dont see these as the reason to rise price.

The most likely thing I say, would be Apple decide to drop 16GB from its Flagship Model. So iPhone 6 will start at 32GB.

And if you want 16GB you will have to choose the mid / lower tier.

• Reply 22 of 159
    So, just how much less could you care? A little less. A lot less? A whole lot less? Please tell us.

As for those of us who couldn't care less, no further explanation is required. 8-)

ps This is only a bit of fun. Transatlantic humour, if you will. I love when you Americans say exactly the opposite of what you mean. My favourite is when you say that you're put gas in your fuel tank when in fact it's a liquid. Priceless.

pps Please don't take any of this to heart. I know we irish have our idiosyncrasies, too. And I hope you have a great day in New Jersey. I'm told it's a wonderful place.

I should have commented on the original Appleinsider post, shouldn't i? Now it looks like an ad hominem attack. Sorry, just couldn't resist it! :D

Ok, since I'm on a rant here. What are the chances that Apple would release three iPhone sizes, 4", 4.7" and 5.5" all at the same price? You know, choose the one that best suits your personal needs. They'd all have the same internal specs and only differ in screen size. Not much chance, really, I suppose.
  • Reply 23 of 159
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    sure there are reasons the price could increase. I'm speculating what they might be. I don't know if just a bigger screen in and of itself is a good enough reason. I'm sure retina had a cost associated with it but the 3rd gen iPad didn't become more expensive than the 2nd gen. No doubt the iPhone 5 had lots of manufacturing complexities but it stayed the same price as the 4S, and the 5S with Touch ID didn't increase in price either. Unless this phone really has something unique I can't see a price increase being good for Apple. Of course if this $100 increase is in relation to some phablet like device then it would make more sense.

Speaking of phablet, a digitizer could do it. Check out the cost of the Galaxy Note. I think it's the Wacom digitizer that brings that price up. You can use a stylus on an iPhone or iPad but without a digitizer it's never going to be as accurate or have features that come along with a digitizer. And Apple could really do some amazing things here with their expertise in SW. Samsung created APIs for the the Note's digitizer but I can't imagine it could even come close to what Apple could offer developers and customers. I'd think a ?5.5" device with a digitizer might be great for Asians markets and hopefully they can get the cost of the digitizer low enough to make it standard on every device with a touch interface, which might be one of the components Cook mentioned in waiting for the right technology to arrive.
  • Reply 24 of 159
    shompashompa Posts: 343member

Apple have a gross profit over 50% on iPhone.

This works in USA where phones are subsidized. Most countries are moving away from subsidies since cheaper data/calls are more attractive for customers. 

In Euro countries an unlocked iphone const 1200 dollar + thanks to taxes. High end Android 300-400 dollars. Even GalaxyS5 cost under 900 dollars. 

People are prepared to pay a premium for a premium product but Apple is not 30% better than Samsung. Adding 100 dollar (+ taxes = 150 dollars) to the price will kill Apple outside US. Apple have under 20% marketshare here in smartphones. Higher price = even less market share.

(isn't it strange that an unlocked iPad Air cost 499 /550 with LTE? Iphone should cost the same and WILL when subsidising dies)

• Reply 25 of 159
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    pmz wrote: »
    The new 4.7" phone will be $199 for 16 GB. There is no room for doubt or conjecture here.

If Apple is ALSO making a 5.5", it a stands to reason that one would cost more, correct? This is where the $299 comes from.

So no new iPhone with a 4" screen? I'll be off to Android and probably get Gatorguy to be my guide in that pool of options out there. Come to think of it, are there any 'Android phones' with a 4" screen or smaller?
  • Reply 26 of 159
    sestewartsestewart Posts: 102member

I agree with you on your points. and everyone else to an extent.

However, the idea of computer chipset costs is that as the chipsets get smaller, and require less materials, the cost of the chipsets go DOWN. Same as the price of storage hard drives and screens. The price to the consumer should be going down, not up. The reason computers are dirt cheap are because of the chipset costs being so low that you can push laptops for under 200$. even with these huge 15/17 inch screens, you can find decent priced computer products for a reasonable price. 

Even samsung has their products at 650$ as a base phone, and that thing is nearly entirely plastic. 

The reason people are stuck in the "upgrade 2 year" mantra is that if you buy a 2 year old phone, you run the risk of not getting support updates for the phone after it's 3rd year. I'm quite surprised Apple even provided updates for the iPhone 4 for iOS 7, given their track record from the 3G/3GS models updates phasing out at the 3 year mark. Whereas a PC sustains updates and support for over 5-10 years. 

If this model continues to pan out in Apple's favor, should their customers expect every Macbook/MacPro customer to replace their computers every 3 years? 

• Reply 27 of 159
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Speaking of phablet, a digitizer could do it. Check out the cost of the Galaxy Note. I think it's the Wacom digitizer that brings that price up. You can use a stylus on an iPhone or iPad but without a digitizer it's never going to be as accurate or have features that come along with a digitizer. And Apple could really do some amazing things here with their expertise in SW. Samsung created APIs for the the Note's digitizer but I can't imagine it could even come close to what Apple could offer developers and customers. I'd think a ?5.5" device with a digitizer might be great for Asians markets and hopefully they can get the cost of the digitizer low enough to make it standard on every device with a touch interface, which might be one of the components Cook mentioned in waiting for the right technology to arrive.
    If Apple releases a 5.5" phone with a stylus I will laugh my ass off. And I'm sure Samsung will have a bevy of ads ready to go once it's announced.
  • Reply 28 of 159
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Do you have a source for this? I thought hardware was supposed to get cheaper over time. Why should memory cost the same today as it did 4-5 years ago. Last year Apple reduced the price of the MacBook Air by $100 keeping the same amount of storage. There's no reason they couldn't offer 32GB for the same price as 16GB, except if accounting is running the show and it's all about margins.

Because Memory today uses far less power then 4 - 5 years ago? Honestly, technology continue to improve, but price and storage density isn't the only thing that matters. The NAND within your phone has gotten faster. The Memory in iPhone has been using lower and lower power in the pass three generation. All these prices would have drop so much if our Battery Tech get a sudden 10x jump. 

But reality is we dont have anything on roadmap that sees substantial battery improvement.

Quote:

However, the idea of computer chipset costs is that as the chipsets get smaller, and require less materials, the cost of the chipsets go DOWN. Same as the price of storage hard drives and screens. The price to the consumer should be going down, not up. The reason computers are dirt cheap are because of the chipset costs being so low that you can push laptops for under 200$. even with these huge 15/17 inch screens, you can find decent priced computer products for a reasonable price. 

Similar, read my point above.

• Reply 29 of 159
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    sestewart wrote: »
    The reason people are stuck in the "upgrade 2 year" mantra is that if you buy a 2 year old phone, you run the risk of not getting support updates for the phone after it's 3rd year. I'm quite surprised Apple even provided updates for the iPhone 4 for iOS 7, given their track record from the 3G/3GS models updates phasing out at the 3 year mark. Whereas a PC sustains updates and support for over 5-10 years. 

If this model continues to pan out in Apple's favor, should their customers expect every Macbook/MacPro customer to replace their computers every 3 years? 

I was also surprised their 3 year old phone got the new iOS. As for PC's, I think they really are throwaway products, especially with the low prices we have nowadays. These $1k-3k boxes used to cost $10k and up; tech has become dirt cheap.
  • Reply 30 of 159
    If Apple releases a 5.5" phone with a stylus I will laugh my ass off. And I'm sure Samsung will have a bevy of ads ready to go once it's announced.

I know why but I think it would be silly as you're misattributing Jobs words. He was talking about devices before the iPhone that required a stylus to be used because pressing on a resistive keyboard was a horrible experience. This would still be the same iOS UI but with the option for a stylus, just like with the Note. I also don't think Apple would include a stylus with such a device.
  • Reply 31 of 159
    I'm fine a base price increase, IF they lower the incremental cost to increase storage capacity. Right now it's 199/299/399 for 16/32/64 GB (for the 5S anyway). If Apple wants to bump up the base price by even $100, fine, but make the split 299/349/399 for 16/32/64 GB capacities. Flash is cheap these days, even at $50 increments Apple is still making a killing with profit margins.
  • Reply 32 of 159
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Its more than enough storage for the average user. The above average user pays the premium for more storage. Apple then makes lots o' money.

I'm an average user and I'm almost out of space. I had to delete things just to install iOS 7.1

You have to remember that the camera takes pretty good photos and they use up a lot of space. Average people are using the phone as a camera too since it takes such good pictures, and they can then post them on Facebook, twitter, etc. Yes, average people do this such as my dad who is 71yrs old. 16GB of storage on the entry level is joke and a ripoff to consumers. Its sad they still offer 8GB which is totally unusable. 

I don't really do much with my phone except email, very little browsing, picture taking and I have "maybe" 20 apps total installed most of which I don't use all the time but enough to keep them installed. I'm not a power user by any means. 

You sound like this person:

"640K ought to be enough for anybody" -Bill Gates

• Reply 33 of 159
    Based on the amount of supposed leaks I have to wonder if Apple will change up the iPhone release schedule again, this time bringing it back close to a Summer release. Sure, it doesn't work well for iOS testing but it could allow them to build more supply for the Holiday quarter and allow the next event in their Autumn to allow for more devices.

ksec wrote: »
    The NAND within your phone has gotten faster.

AnandTech's results on NAND speed have not been kind.

I would love to see an SSD SoC. Essentially several smaller NAND chips packaged with an SSD controller so that they could speed up the performance of the NAND several fold.
  • Reply 34 of 159
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I know why but I think it would be silly as you're misattributing Jobs words. He was talking about devices before the iPhone that required a stylus to be used because pressing on a resistive keyboard was a horrible experience. This would still be the same iOS UI but with the option for a stylus, just like with the Note. I also don't think Apple would include a stylus with such a device.
    No, it's not about Jobs, it's about Apple suing Samsung in court for copying. If Apple releases an iPhone version of the Note who's copying now?
  • Reply 35 of 159
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

the iPad is 499 for a GIANT screen! What is the reason for a phone being 700$ as a base cost?

The same reason an iMac is $1,299 and a MacBook Pro is $1,699.

Small equals engineering equals cost.

• Reply 36 of 159
    No, it's not about Jobs, it's about Apple suing Samsung in court for copying. If Apple releases an iPhone version of the Note who's copying now?

You need to learn what copying is. Samsung has no IP here. Digitizers existed on products long before Samsung added one to a product. Your comment is as silly as saying Apple stole the idea for LTE simply because it waited for LTE chips to be (3rd gen) power efficient.
  • Reply 37 of 159
    sestewartsestewart Posts: 102member

Iphone 5 build and manufacturing costs - 16gb $207.00, 32gb $217.00, 64gb $238.00 respectively. 

https://technology.ihs.com/410378/iphone-5-carries-199-bom-virtual-teardown-reveals

iPhone 5S build and manufacturing costs - 16gb $198.70, 32gb $208.10, 64gb $218.30 respectively. 

http://technology.ihs.com/451425/groundbreaking-iphone-5s-carries-199-bom-and-manufacturing-cost-ihs-teardown-reveals

So cost has gone down. And Apple is still taking away 450$+ profit a phone. Not that I think they're wrong making profit.. but clearly the cost is going down, and margins are going up. 

• Reply 38 of 159
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Those prices are way too low. The current 16GB iPhone 5C is $549. Any dropping of price will likely not be by more than $100.

I don't understand? Did I miss something?

The iPhone 5s will drop by $100 to accommodate the incoming flagship model(s). No surprise there.

The iPhone 5c will do its own thing. Either it stays around as just an $0 - 8 GB model....or they keep a 16 GB version priced at $49 or $99. Yeah it would be weird having a 16 GB 5c and 16 GB 5s at the same exact price...they probably won't do that. But recent pricing structures lead to believe its an option.

• Reply 39 of 159
    sestewart wrote: »
    Iphone 5 build and manufacturing costs - 16gb $207.00, 32gb $217.00, 64gb $238.00 respectively. 

https://technology.ihs.com/410378/iphone-5-carries-199-bom-virtual-teardown-reveals

iPhone 5S build and manufacturing costs - 16gb $198.70, 32gb $208.10, 64gb $218.30 respectively. 

http://technology.ihs.com/451425/groundbreaking-iphone-5s-carries-199-bom-and-manufacturing-cost-ihs-teardown-reveals

So cost has gone down. And Apple is still taking away 450$+ profit a phone. Not that I think they're wrong making profit.. but clearly the cost is going down, and margins are going up. 

1) You have no way of knowing that. All you have are some company's made up numbers. They probably used some foundation of truth to get what they think are reasonable assumptions but they can't know for sure posting this as a fact isn't reasonable. "iSuppli believes…." would be a reasonable way to start your comments, assuming these figures came from them.

2) Did the cost of the iPhone 5S include the acquisition of AuthenTec for $356 MM? How many iPhone 5S's have sold? If it's 50 MM that means the each iPhone 5S costs $7.12, but that doesn't count Apple cost for developing the HW (which includes the secure enclave on the A7 chip) or the SW. That's just one new component and we already have no concept of what that has cost Apple to get that into the device. Do we even know how much that sapphire cover on the Home Button cost?
  • Reply 40 of 159
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

So no new iPhone with a 4" screen? I'll be off to Android and probably get Gatorguy to be my guide in that pool of options out there. Come to think of it, are there any 'Android phones' with a 4" screen or smaller?

So you want a 4" phone? Do you have a 5s yet? What more do you need than that?

Apple COULD go all out and introduce a brand new line of iPhones. All new same physical design at 4", 4.7", and 5.5". Something new and incredibly powerful at 3 sizes.  No one would have any reason left to buy an Android phone. As if they had reason now.