Apple will not unveil 'iWatch' or next-gen Apple TV at WWDC - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 163
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Me too.  Seriously thinking about "Cutting the cord"  after Game of Thrones concludes.   I think i'll be fine with Apple TV, Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming.   I'll watch more sports locally. 

me...  I cut and restrung the cord.   partly for business demands.   But, I take the Oatmeal approach to game of thrones... With the thought that the potential of recovering a little streaming revenue may change HBO's content delivery options.

• Reply 22 of 163
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    The only constant is change.

The fact that iOS8 won't even show up to consumers till September means you got 5 more months of stability, and 5 more after that if you so choose.   

I choose stability. But I'm not complaining. I'm a bit saddened by iOS 7's initial performance toll on older devices like the iPhone 4, but Apple seems to have tuned it finally.
  • Reply 23 of 163
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

OF COURSE!  WWDC is for software mainly!  And, why would they use Developer conference for hardware new releases?

And, new category products, Apple will release in grand way!

//Dont tell me iWatch API is for developers.

Sort of my reaction.

Have they ever? despite the annual disappointment articles when they don't. Much like the ever popular "manufacturing constraints".

• Reply 24 of 163
    kiltedtimkiltedtim Posts: 3member
    It's a DEVELOPERS conference. Not a place to show off new hardware. Why does everyone seem to forget that?
  • Reply 25 of 163
    It seems that there is frustration with the apparent lack of new products throughout 2014 as we were told there would be when made to wait for most of 2013 for the October product fest. I for one miss the Jan or March/April event for iPad but I understand why it got pushed back.... Holiday sales fever!
  • Reply 26 of 163
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    As others have mentioned... Who ever expected new devices at WWDC? The DEVELOPERS conference is about software development. The Mac Pro last year was a big surprise. If there's any surprise this year, it'll be CarPlay, AppleTV, or Siri API announcements.
    Maybe people were expecting it because outside of CarPlay Apple hasn't announced anything new in the first 6 months of the year.
  • Reply 27 of 163
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Last year in a holiday memo to employees Cook said:
    At some point Cook needs to put up or quit the tease. If all we get at WWDC is a redesigned OS X and iOS 8 with incremental updates that's not going to leave a lot of time to unveil these "big plans".

Yeah, Cook needs to put up because there are only 8 months left in the year!!!!

Apple will also not announce an Apple TV set, an iPlane, an iCar, or an iCarly.
  • Reply 28 of 163
    acatomicacatomic Posts: 60member
    Does this mean there won't be Apple TV SDK?
  • Reply 29 of 163
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by acatomic View Post

Does this mean there won't be Apple TV SDK?

Can’t imagine why you’d need one.

• Reply 30 of 163
    kiltedtim wrote: »
    It's a DEVELOPERS conference. Not a place to show off new hardware. Why does everyone seem to forget that?
    Apple announced the iPhone 4 at WWDC 2010, rMBP at WWDC 2012, Haswell MBAs and nMP at WWDC 2013. In the past they didn't have to announce hardware at WWDC because it either got announced at Macworld or some other event in Q1.
  • Reply 31 of 163
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple announced iPhone 4 there, rMBP in 2012 and nMP last year. There is precedent for announcing hardware at WWDC, especially now that Apple doesn't participate in Macworld.

yes, there is quite a precedent...  However, I think in the consumer class, (iPad, AppleTV, iPhone) only when the OS basically specs it (or defines it... when the iPhone4 was announced, the iOS announcement would have effectively released the information about the device, so it really was a necessary linkage).

The developer class (and the 'to be developed for')  hardware has always been announced there.

and I do think the nMP was less for the developers, and more for the trade press, basically, driving home that 'can't innovate my @ss' message. 

• Reply 32 of 163
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple announced the iPhone 4 at WWDC 2010, rMBP at WWDC 2012, Haswell MBAs and nMP at WWDC 2013. In the past they didn't have to announce hardware at WWDC because they either got announced at Macworld or some other event in Q1.

All the years at which something was announced at MacWorld, something else was announced at WWDC. It’s pretty obvious they’re not following that anymore.

• Reply 33 of 163
    jungmark wrote: »

There's not 8 months after WWDC. I suppose Apple will do what they did last year and cram a bunch of stuff into an iPad event in October. But maybe they'll throw people a bone and announce a new Mac mini or 4K display at WWDC. Developers would get excited about that.
  • Reply 34 of 163
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    People don't get that a lack of an announcement of the hardware also probably means that they won't be demoing the SDK for that hardware. Which means the iwatch or ATV won't have much functionality when released.
  • Reply 35 of 163
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Can’t imagine why you’d need one.

Not this again...

• Reply 36 of 163
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Not this again...

If he’s CEO of Discovery Channel, that’s one thing. Then he’d need one.

• Reply 37 of 163
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If he’s CEO of Discovery Channel, that’s one thing. Then he’d need one.

Or Google, Mozilla, or Microsoft- basically anything that can get me a browser so I can log into my Apple TV at a hotel that requires web authentication.

• Reply 38 of 163
    popnfreshpopnfresh Posts: 139member
    jungmark wrote: »

Yes, Tim Cook does need to put up, and soon. Apple hasn't released a new product line in almost four years under his leadership.
  • Reply 39 of 163
    asdasd wrote: »
    People don't get that a lack of an announcement of the hardware also probably means that they won't be demoing the SDK for that hardware. Which means the iwatch or ATV won't have much functionality when released.
    Tim Cook did say the only reason he stopped calling ATV a "hobby" is because it's generating too much revenue to be called that. That could mean Apple has decided to milk it for one more year and maybe we get a new ATV in 2015. I'm guessing on the next earnings call Cook will say Apple will be announcing new products in the fall of 2014 and across 2014, ;)
  • Reply 40 of 163
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Or Google, Mozilla, or Microsoft- basically anything that can get me a browser so I can log into my Apple TV at a hotel that requires web authentication.

Sounds more like we need Apple to handle that rather than some third party who wouldn’t be able to affect the rest of the OS…

Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

Yes, Tim Cook does need to put up, and soon. Apple hasn't released a new product line in almost four years under his leadership.

Jokes tend to need to not be complete lies.