Beats acquisition would give Iovine and Dr. Dre senior positions at Apple, report says

Comments

• Reply 241 of 599
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by infinit_zero View Post

I wish Trent Reznor would be a senior executive instead of Dre.

I dunno. He seems mopey and pissed off all the time. But he does like Macs.

• Reply 242 of 599
    - $1.4 billion in revenues and growing double digits
    - A solid and growing brand
    - Streaming music
    - two self-made music industry executives with deep connections inside the industry

OVERPRICED???

I swear there are some idiotic assumptions and comments being made on this forum about this RUMOUR! Get a freaking grip people!
  • Reply 243 of 599
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    I saw a panhandler wearing a pair of Beats by Dre, begging for money on the street. (For once, I am serious). I did not know what to make of that, except to think, "if you really need money, maybe you should sell those headphones"

You can see panhandlers, drinking Starbucks and smoking $4/pack cigarettes -- all a matter of priorities ...

The worst ever was a panhandler who occupied the same spot every day in front of a Wal-Mart in Tucson. One day I saw him leave his station and walk over and get into his brand new Buick -- nice work if you can get it -- and tax-free!
  • Reply 244 of 599
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    mstone wrote: »
    I have a friend who owns a really upscale coffee restaurant and he won't install wifi because he wants people to engage in conversation instead of staring at their device. Why someone would go to Starbucks to study makes no sense to me. When I need to study I find someplace quiet where I know I won't be disturbed.

If he wanted real conversation he'd sell something stronger than coffee.
  • Reply 245 of 599
    asdasd wrote: »
    If Google announced a deal with Beats including hiring Dr Dre. mirth would be unconfined on this thread.

Where were all the supporters when HTC had an alliance with Beats. Presumably you posted that it was a great idea so where are the posts?

I...I don't know what you're saying.

I'm frankly very against the deal, but if it's good strategy then it's good strategy.

BTW HTC's deal wasn't a 3.2 Billion acquisition. It was a nothing more than a marketing partnership by a company that desperately needed a brand infusion or risk dying.
  • Reply 246 of 599

I'm frankly very against the deal, but if it's good strategy then it's good strategy.

BTW HTC's deal wasn't a 3.2 Billion acquisition. It was a nothing more than a marketing partnership by a company that desperately needed a brand infusion or risk dying.

I am saying if this deal is so obviously good I wouldn't just be good in hindsight. People would have suggested it before this. And when HTC made that marketing deal so there would have been a thread with people saying "that should have been apple"

But none of that happened. So nobody thought this was a good idea before it happened ( unlike buying Square for instance).
  • Reply 247 of 599
    rs9rs9 Posts: 68member

What is the mediocre headphone are embedded with Apple Technology?

• Reply 248 of 599
    apple ][ wrote: »
    And even more hilarious is that a lot of the customers who actually buy and listen to their music are suburban white wiggers, and those wiggers go around using the N word all of the time. I hear it all of the time. A bunch of schoolkids walking by me, none of them are black, and they're all calling each other N.ggas. Absolutely hilarious.:lol:

this is very true. And also, one thing we've all been missing is that, hip hop culture is consumed primarily by white young people from the suburbs. The vast majority of the hip hop music is purchased by this demographic. And most of the consumers in this consumer market can already afford Apple products.
  • Reply 249 of 599
    rs9 wrote: »
    What is the mediocre headphone are embedded with Apple Technology?
    There are no headphones sold as part of the package by Apple except those sold as part of the iPod line which is an insignificant revenue generator. Those earphones are probably low quality but given the price of the iPod Apple can't afford to give away the best earphones for free. You can upgrade to better earphones yourself.
  • Reply 250 of 599
    this is very true. And also, one thing we've all been missing is that, hip hop culture is consumed primarily by white young people from the suburbs. The vast majority of the hip hop music is purchased by this demographic. And most of the consumers in this consumer market can already afford Apple products.

...the majority of hip hops profits come from that consumer demographic.

Sorry, tried to use Siri to dictate that last reply...
  • Reply 251 of 599
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That’s not even remotely close to anything even resembling reality.

You may not have heard it but Apple Inc did.   3.2 billion times.  Is that reality enough for you?

• Reply 252 of 599
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I am saying if this deal is so obviously good I wouldn't just be good in hindsight. People would have suggested it before this. And when HTC made that marketing deal so there would have been a thread with people saying "that should have been apple"

But none of that happened. So nobody thought this was a good idea before it happened ( unlike buying Square for instance).
    I guess people are giving Cook and the board the benefit of the doubt. I still remain highly skeptical Apple's first big acquisition should be this.
  • Reply 253 of 599
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

The curated streaming app, which is the major attraction, IMO -- has only been available for a couple of months -- so there's not a been a lot of time to form an opinion. I read that the Beats app was initially subscription only and had a mediocre acceptance. Then they changed to a week free trial and downloads went off the chart.
  • Reply 254 of 599
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,281member

If the Geeks hate it, it maybe the right decision after all. 

Beats makes money and are great marketeer's, Who is the talent behind MOG and who are all those people behind the scenes in design and marketing department. Must be some hip people who would not normally get in the front door at Apple? Half of them are probably women?

http://bit.ly/1ntetlD

• Reply 255 of 599
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    - $1.4 billion in revenues and growing double digits
    - A solid and growing brand
    - Streaming music
    - two self-made music industry executives with deep connections inside the industry

OVERPRICED???

I swear there are some idiotic assumptions and comments being made on this forum about this RUMOUR! Get a freaking grip people!
    whats your source for the first two items on your list?
  • Reply 256 of 599
    billmc77billmc77 Posts: 2member

If true, dumbest acquisition ever. Apple can't buy a smaller audio streaming company and then use the money saved to bring it up to speed? Probably save some cash as well. Not to mention we wouldn't have to hear anything from or about D Dre and Jimmy. There is no way either of these two add anything.

• Reply 257 of 599
  • Reply 258 of 599
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Here is another interesting take on this rumoured purchase...

drblank wrote: »
    24 bit streaming in one's home is more realistic with the latest WiFi technology, for over the internet, maybe not yet, but it's getting there if they use H.265 is what I'm thinking.  AAC would be compressed and maybe enough to to stream.  Now we have uncompressed or compressed using lossless which may not work as well, but the lossy compressed method might be able to work.  I'm sure it's right around the corner, it's just whether the labels will allow it.

1) I don't think H.265 affects audio.

2) I think it's assumed that when talking about streaming music that were not just talking about wireless LAN streaming, otherwise 802.11g would be perfectly fine.

3) AAC, like all codecs, are a compressed format. Lossless only means that nothing is lost with the compression which means the compression is not as extreme as with lossy codecs, but at around 50% the original size it's pretty good.

But that's still referring to the current, 16-bit* AAC used by iTS. Moving to 24-bit* -and- lossless would be two ways the sizes would jump considerably. I think the former triples your file size over 16-bit @ 44.1 kHz and the latter quintuple your file size with the current ALAC compared to 256 kibps AAC, which I think would mean a file size increase of about 15x if both were to be implemented at the same time.

* Refers to bit-depth, not bit-rate.

apple ][ wrote: »
    And even more hilarious is that a lot of the customers who actually buy and listen to their music are suburban white wiggers, and those wiggers go around using the N word all of the time. I hear it all of the time. A bunch of schoolkids walking by me, none of them are black, and they're all calling each other N.ggas. Absolutely hilarious.:lol:

I don't get this mentality that makes people think it's not offensive to use words like wigger, black, or N-word in a derogatory way. just so long as you don't use "The N-Word." I think you're old enough to understand that bigotry isn't just the word you use but the way it which it's used which is why words like nigger get considered as "cursed" words in the first place. It's the same irrational thought process that makes people write darn instead of damn, a$$ instead of ass, and f@#k instead of **** on message boards. It's the language equivalent of the childish game siblingly play called "I'm not touching you." If you mean a word then use that fucking word but don't hide behind a racist veil by using the word black or N-word in it's place because only the willfully ignorant will fall for it.

It seems unlikely Albert Einstein would say that.

There are no headphones sold as part of the package by Apple except those sold as part of the iPod line which is an insignificant revenue generator. Those earphones are probably low quality but given the price of the iPod Apple can't afford to give away the best earphones for free. You can upgrade to better earphones yourself.

What does that mean? What package, the product? Are you saying that headphones only come with iPods?
  • Reply 259 of 599
    danox wrote: »
    If the Geeks hate it, it maybe the right decision after all. 

Beats makes money and are great marketeer's, Who is the talent behind MOG and who are all those people behind the scenes in design and marketing department. Must be some hip people who would not normally get in the front door at Apple? Half of them are probably women?
    <p style="border:0px;color:rgb(0,0,0);height:10px;vertical-align:baseline;"> </p>

<a href="http://bit.ly/1ntetlD" style="color:rgb(87,159,196);margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:baseline;" target="_blank">http://bit.ly/1ntetlD</a>;

The people who could get in the door at Apple until now - Geeks - made Apple.
  • Reply 260 of 599
    solipsismx wrote:
    What does that mean? What package, the product? Are you saying that headphones only come with iPods?

Yes.