Amazon announces Fire Phone with 4.7" 3D head tracking display & Firefly smart scanner, exclusive to

Comments

• Reply 141 of 225
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    palegolas wrote: »
    That face tracking must be a huge deal for them. 4 cameras dedicated to tracking!? It'd better be good! Does the amazon version of Android allow general Android apps? It looks kinda different, doesn't it?

The Google Play store will not be on the phone.
  • Reply 142 of 225
    brisancebrisance Posts: 63member
    As long as this phone is restricted to North American markets, neither Apple nor Samsung has anything to worry about. That's because in Asia many people still buy their stuff off retail shelves. And having a retail presence seems to be anathema to Amazon, so that's that.
  • Reply 143 of 225
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

You, troll boy.  

You throw that epithet around a lot, but so far I haven't seen you make any very insightful comments.  What I see you doing is exactly what I mentioned before - trashing the competition in a knee-jerk fashion without even a shred of thought.

Actually, I do dare to say YOU are the troll, since you seem to bring nothing to the table other than liberal use of the term 'troll' to describe anyone you disagree with, and absurd conspiracy theories about my location and employer.

• Reply 144 of 225
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I was expecting a low price phone in the Nexus price range but they went high end. I am quite surprise.
  • Reply 145 of 225
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Very surprising how high end Amazon has gone.
  • Reply 146 of 225
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

So . . . another device from Amazon that will do as badly as their *other* device?

At least change the entire game. The market has seen Amazon's first effort. At this point their second one needs to put a man on one of Saturn's moons. 

Yesterday. 

• Reply 147 of 225
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    So . . . another device from Amazon that will do as badly as their *other* device?

At least change the entire game. The market has seen Amazon's first effort. At this point their second one needs to put a man on one of Saturn's moons. 

Yesterday. 
    Huh? The Kindle is very successful.
  • Reply 148 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

a2z Amazon smartphone, tablet and gaming technology unit in the Spectrum. Just so happens the zip code is 92618, same as his screen name.

40 Pacifica 2nd, 3rd, 11th and 14th floors of the building.

That clinches it.  I MUST work there.  Because, gosh, nobody but Amazon employees live in Orange County CA, or even in the City of Irvine (population 223,779).  Yes, of course - IF someone thinks this device that Amazon introduced has some interesting technology packed in it, and IF they think it is a well done offering with some great attention to detail and a commitment to quality, and IF they happen to live near an Amazon development lab... well then it follows that said person must be an employee of Amazon trolling on the internet in a desperate attempt to prevent the inevitable demise of both the phone and their employer.  Yes, by jove you genii have got it. /s

Actually no, you haven't.  You are just proving my point - you cannot be objective.

I don't work for Amazon.

• Reply 149 of 225
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    tt92618 wrote: »
    slurpy wrote: »

Not a single post in this thread even vaguely approximates your post. Instead of being so concerned about falsely (and trollishly) predicting people's responses in this thread, why don't you provide your own analysis of the product? That would require you to string together a couple coherent thoughts. 

Go back and re-read - there are plenty.

AI is having some quote issues today. In any case... Just show us one quote from the plenty. I can't find anyone claiming Apple has invented everything there is to invent or anything even remotely like that.
  • Reply 150 of 225
    tt92618 wrote: »
    mstone wrote: »

a2z Amazon smartphone, tablet and gaming technology unit in the Spectrum. Just so happens the zip code is 92618, same as his screen name.

40 Pacifica 2nd, 3rd, 11th and 14th floors of the building.

That clinches it.  I MUST work there.  Because, gosh, nobody but Amazon employees live in Orange County CA, or even in the City of Irvine (population 223,779).  Yes, of course - IF someone thinks this device that Amazon introduced has some interesting technology packed in it, and IF they think it is a well done offering with some great attention to detail and a commitment to quality, and IF they happen to live near an Amazon development lab... well then it follows that said person must be an employee of Amazon trolling on the internet in a desperate attempt to prevent the inevitable demise of both the phone and their employer.  Yes, by jove you genii have got it. /s

Actually no, you haven't.  You are just proving my point - you cannot be objective.

I don't work for Amazon.

He was reaching, but of all your posts in the thread, this was the only one that wasn't pure trolling. It is actually the first time you commented on Amazon or the Fire Phone. All of your other comments have been attacks on people that like Apple products or posts supporting your attack posts. You might see where some people might think you have an agenda.
  • Reply 151 of 225
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    crowley wrote: »
    Apple bribed contracted Microsoft to make Office for Mac back in 1997. You do what you need to do to keep business rolling.

Was it a bribe or was it part of the patent dispute settlement?
  • Reply 152 of 225
    You know it is used for a lot of other things too. I have a heart rate monitor, bike cadence monitor, and display that all use BLE. It will soon be a key part of many home automation systems. It is 2014, going with Bt3 can't be seen as anything but a huge mistake.
  • Reply 153 of 225
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,283member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Danox, there are Orange Counties in several states, including Florida, New York, and Indiana.  And any Micky-Mouse troll can claim to be from any one of them.

All he'd had to do is say no, but instead he when into a song and dance then said no, Amazon does have a facility in Orange county Califorina, The only Orange county that counts, the Amazon phone like the Fire and is con game run by scab outfit (see Samsung) to pump up the stock.

• Reply 154 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

He was reaching, but of all your posts in the thread, this was the only one that wasn't pure trolling. It is actually the first time you commented on Amazon or the Fire Phone. All of your other comments have been attacks on people that like Apple products or posts supporting your attack posts. You might see where some people might think you have an agenda.

That's incorrect - it means you didn't read all of my posts.

I think the device is outstanding.  Firefly in particular is probably the best piece of engineering I have seen in the past 5 years - it is able to do things that are, quite frankly, a little bit frightening.  You can point this thing at a painting and it will recognize it and pull up the wiki entry on it.  You can point it at a show you are watching and it will recognize it down to the scene you are in, and give you the skinny from IMDB and other sources on it.  You can point it at every day items - a toothbrush or a can or some obscure item that you've never seen before - and it will recognize what product it is AND tell you where you can get one for yourself, or it will give you info about it pulled from Wiki.  You can point it at a poster or a sign and it will automatically dissembed the phone number printed there and let you call it, or emails, etc.  You can point it at a book or magazine and it will recognize it and let you buy it, or go to the associated website.  And of course it will recognize what song you are listening to.  And it does so crazy fast.  Speaking from the perspective of a guy who actually has some experience building enterprise scale systems, I can assure you that IS impressive technology, regardless of how abruptly the Fanzis here want to dismiss it.  And that is only one of the many impressive technologies this little device packs.

What drives me up the wall is when people immediately dismiss anything that isn't Apple, merely because it isn't.  And yes, there are dozens of posts in this thread that do exactly that.  And they add on the insult of calling anyone who disagrees a troll, without even the slightest understanding at all of any of the stuff they are talking about.

Yeah, I do find that QUITE annoying.  But it's also why I rarely post here, and it is in particular why I wish I had not done so today.

• Reply 155 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Danox View Post

All he'd had to do is say no, but instead he when into a song and dance then said no, Amazon does have a facility in Orange county Califorina, The only Orange county that counts, the Amazon phone like the Fire and is con game run by scab outfit (see Samsung) to pump up the stock.

Oh my word - you cannot be serious.  A con job?  To pump up the stock?

What a tremendous insult to the many people who devoted enormous time and energy into designing and producing this stuff.  

• Reply 156 of 225
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

I'm not sure I agree with you on the 'paucity of apps' front - Amazon has a robust App Store, with many of the best apps available across iTunes App Store, Google Play, and Amazon.

No offense, but you sound exactly like a paid shill for Amazon. Not saying you are one, but you sound exactly how I'd expect one to sound.

• Reply 157 of 225
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    yet another iPhoney

looks like the iPhone from 2007. Apple should sue the pants off this knockoff!!

when will we see something original?
  • Reply 158 of 225
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Bring it how so? Did Apple not "bring it" at WWDC? The only think I'd like to see in the "bring it" category is 32/64/128 GB storage options at current prices. I know that's a long shot and the best we'll probably get is a 128GB addition to the iPhone lineup.

Something tells me that ship set sail at WWDC. Apple's solution is low priced iCloud Drive storage, not a break on the price for internal storage. Not saying I agree, but I think that is their thinking. People need extra space mainly for their photos and videos and Apple has provided that at a nominal cost-in perpetuity and tied to your Apple ID not your phone. That's kinda genius from a business perspective.
  • Reply 159 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

No offense, but you sound exactly like a paid shill for Amazon. Not saying you are one, but you sound exactly how I'd expect one to sound.

For the sake of argument, how many paid shills exactly have you encountered in your life and listened to?  What criteria can you suggest for how to recognize one?

Look, maybe you didn't mean to do so, but your post illustrates the points I'm making.  Underneath your argument is the assumption that a position on the pro side cannot be valid - that it therefore has to be the result of ulterior motive.  It is an unconscious confession of your bias - you assume that any argument on the plus side of the non-Apple offering must by definition be shilling.  And the unspoken complement of that is of course the bias that it is not possible for any non-Apple product to be good.  And that's exactly the myopia I started out talking about, and it is exactly what I expected.

You guys just don't see it; there is very little objectivity here.

• Reply 160 of 225
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    hmmm....AMZN  36B in Assets, 3B in LT debt.  10B in equity.  80B in sales a year.   Not really precariously perched. 

They run their business more like a Target than an Apple, which makes sense in a couple ways (they are a retailer, and no one is like Apple)   In fact looking at their financials, they are pretty much just like Target, with less debt.

No one is screaming that Target is on the brink of never recovering, and they had a terrible 6 months.

Comparing to Target is a good thing? Thanks for proving my point.