Samsung's latest Apple-targeting ad slams battery life, calls iPhone users 'wall huggers'

Comments

• Reply 161 of 328
    bwana_dikbwana_dik Posts: 85member

Samsung phones are so useless that their battery life seems long.  If you don't use a phone, recharging is unnecessary.

• Reply 162 of 328
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,828member

...and then tweets like this:

Im not a big fan of Samsung but this is a good ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzMUTrTYD9s … #android #samsung #apple #iphone #linux #iphone5s #iphone6

Shakes head, walks away.

• Reply 163 of 328
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,348member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I recently had the great misfortune of discovering this is not correct. I just completed a contract in the high desert region of California where I couldn't get a reasonable signal which caused the phone to constantly search for a signal. As a result, my phone had to be charged twice daily.

You are correct sir!! Low signal can really kill battery life.  So can using apps that have background app refresh on, every app with location services on, high brightness levels, and the most popular one for seniors....... Turning autolock off!!!  

• Reply 164 of 328
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,348member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by winchester View Post

Cheap shot, misinformation, call it what you will. It's an incredibly poignant ad that hits a chord for a lot of people. Here's hoping it manages to get under Apple's skin...

I think they are retaliating after Woz gave a scathing review of their gear products.  

• Reply 165 of 328
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Thing is, none of these anti-Apple ads have helped Samsung much. Apple’s share of the U.S. market has grown to 42% while Samsung’s has shrunk a little.

That's actually wrong, at least acccording to data presented by AI.  Apple has grown it's share from 41.3% to 41.9%, but Samsung has not shrunk- they've grown from 27.0% to 27.8%  So not only has Samsung increased its share by a larger physical number, in terms of YoY percentage growth Samsungs growth rate of 3% is double Apple's share growth of 1.5%

Android's overall growth has remained flat, while Apple gained- but the gains came from Blackberry and Symbian.

• Reply 166 of 328
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    mstone wrote: »
    No not really. PCs were cheap. That is why they were purchased by the millions, but they got viruses, they were difficult to use and required constant IT support. They were, and still are awful. Everybody knows that.

PCs are as cheap as much as you want them to be, and as expensive as you are willing to pay. Like cars. You can get them cheap or uber-expensive, depending on your budget and requirements. But they are available on both ends of the scale.

PCs don't get viruses. Stupid users get viruses. Same as with cars, where drunk drivers get crashed and killed, not cars.

They are not difficult to use. They are more difficult than average tablets, but also can do more. Motorcycle is more difficult to use than bicycle.

They don't require constant IT support. Working for IT support firm, I can tell you that with absolute authority. Number of support calls we are receiving is abmusmally low nowadays. Most support calls we do get is from users having problem to access corporate printer, files share and such. Guess what? We get those calls from Mac users who bring their Macs to work.

Everyone know that, too.
  • Reply 167 of 328
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

What I would have found useful, instead of a point by point description of the ad's claims - which, incidentally, we can see perfectly well for ourselves - would be accurate stats about relative battery life of all the phones, including specific comparisons for specific uses...

I suppose one could gather this together oneself, but what was the point of the article, if not to present that data itself???

It's like posting an article saying, "Hey, Lookie!!! It says "Samsung" right on the phone!!!":no: 

• Reply 168 of 328
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Remember those Apple-Tesla meetings?

Sammy sure does!!!
  • Reply 169 of 328
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    As much as I dislike Samsung, this is one thing I have to agree with. (1) The iPhone battery is way underpowered and (2) is not user replaceable. I don't need a paper thin phone that levitates. I want a phone that lasts all day, actually using it. Tell the brass:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
  • Reply 170 of 328
    Samdung spends so much time slamming Apple that nobody really cares. The funny thing is they should have LEFT OUT the "Is that an extra battery?" because that tells us that their phones can not hold a charge all day.
    I went to the gym and listened to my music and then worked on my vehicle today listening to music and watching some how to videos for almost 9 hours and even used the flash light and when I was done and walked into the house I was at 33% and that was off the charger at 6a.m..
    So, Samdung can go blow one because no matter what ads they run I will not give up my iPhone for a piece of S%#T Galaxy S2,3,4 or 5.
  • Reply 171 of 328
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    You see, there's this thing with phones. If you don't use them, they actually last a long time. It's called standby time.

The thing is... iPhone users actually use their devices for much more than a phone and actually enjoy them. There's actual apps and really good games that allow your device to basically supplant a laptop. So if you see an iPhone user charging their phone, it's because it's actually being used instead of sitting in a drawer or pocket waiting for a phone call.

I think Samsung needs to be sued for false advertising. There is no proof that an S5 lasts longer than a 5S. Put up or shut up.
  • Reply 172 of 328
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    jkichline wrote: »
    I think Samsung needs to be sued for false advertising. There is no proof that an S5 lasts longer than a 5S. Put up or shut up.

Anandtech seems to have proof:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7903/samsung-galaxy-s-5-review/5
  • Reply 173 of 328
    mistercowmistercow Posts: 157member
    So many tears...
  • Reply 174 of 328
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

If they had fantastic battery life they wouldn't need to be plugged in, that's what the original poster was probably trying to get across.

No, what you're describing is infinite battery life, something that doesnt exist. Any modern smartphone needs to be plugged in eventually with heavy use. iPhones are not known for having crappy battery life. They dont have the longest battery life in the industry, because of the compact size, but it's definitely not terrible, and actually above average. This ad is really, really reaching to bash the iPhone in this aspect. 

• Reply 175 of 328
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

PCs are as cheap as much as you want them to be, and as expensive as you are willing to pay. Like cars. You can get them cheap or uber-expensive, depending on your budget and requirements. But they are available on both ends of the scale.

PCs don't get viruses. Stupid users get viruses. Same as with cars, where drunk drivers get crashed and killed, not cars.

They are not difficult to use. They are more difficult than average tablets, but also can do more. Motorcycle is more difficult to use than bicycle.

They don't require constant IT support. Working for IT support firm, I can tell you that with absolute authority. Number of support calls we are receiving is abmusmally low nowadays. Most support calls we do get is from users having problem to access corporate printer, files share and such. Guess what? We get those calls from Mac users who bring their Macs to work.

Everyone know that, too.

Your post is useless and irrelevant. The point is that the VAST majority of PC sales are of the cheap kind, it doesnt matter that more expensive PCs exist. This means that the biggest factor in people choosing PCs over Macs has always been cost- and thats why Macs utterly dominate the $1000+ segment. If PCs were just as good at that price, that wouldnt happen. People aren't CHOOSING Windows PCs over Macs, its simply a matter of cost. Same can be said for Android phones, and the massive amount of cheap, shitty phones sold in 3rd world countries that are padding the "marketshare" numbers, but in the end are irrelevant. 

• Reply 176 of 328
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member
    Talking about battery life, didn't you noticed noticeable gain after bug-fixing iOS 7.1.2 ?
  • Reply 177 of 328
    ptramptram Posts: 58member
    In my experience, that's odd. It didn't happen only once that I had to lend my mother my iPhone 4, after her new Samsung quickly ended juice. And please don't start with tablets, because iPads'batteries seem to last forever.
  • Reply 178 of 328
    mistercowmistercow Posts: 157member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Your post is useless and irrelevant. The point is that the VAST majority of PC sales are of the cheap kind, it doesnt matter that more expensive PCs exist. This means that the biggest factor in people choosing PCs over Macs has always been cost- and thats why Macs utterly dominate the $1000+ segment. If PCs were just as good at that price, that wouldnt happen. People aren't CHOOSING Windows PCs over Macs, its simply a matter of cost. Same can be said for Android phones, and the massive amount of cheap, shitty phones sold in 3rd world countries that are padding the "marketshare" numbers, but in the end are irrelevant. 

Macs dominate the 1000 market because an equivalent Windows machine costs about half that price. A 1000 Windows system is way more than most users need. That's why they're not purchased. Because a 500 Windows does the job of a 1000 Mac
  • Reply 179 of 328
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Yes, yes they do, buy one thing they can't test for in their thorough review is how the OS, the vendor's bolted-on services, and even the quality of the HW battery hold up after months or even years of use.

I mention this for two reasons. First, I've heard of Android users saying they had to restore their device because it was getting lag and having poor battery life (something that has also been common with WinPCs). Second, not all Lithium Poly Ion batteries are the same. I've heard of external battery packs from no-name vendors take an incredible dive on their duration after just one use.
  • Reply 180 of 328
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mistercow wrote: »
    Macs dominate the 1000 market because an equivalent Windows machine costs about half that price. A 1000 Windows system is way more than most users need. That's why they're not purchased. Because a 500 Windows does the job of a 1000 Mac

Does the job ? an equivalent.machine.