Russian government asks Apple to hand over source code amid spying concerns

Comments

• Reply 61 of 236
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Second there isn't a people on the entire earth more deserving of what the people supporting HAMAS are getting right now. It would do the world a whole lot of good if Israel totally wiped out HAMAS and it's supporters.

Agreed! I am having a jolly good time, just watching the news, while snacking on some peanuts and eating some ice cream, just watching the epic ass kicking that is currently taking place. It is hilarious, and it is the best comedy series that I have watched so far this year without a doubt. Hopefully there will be no further unnecessary ceasefires as Israel needs to finish the job completely, without any further annoying distractions. I laugh at the fools who are protesting this defensive action across the world. 

• Reply 62 of 236
    bradipaobradipao Posts: 145member
    I think it is possible t make source code available for inspection at Apple premises, in a strictly controlled environment.

Microsoft has already followed this path with China in 2010 (IIRC).
  • Reply 63 of 236
    grbladegrblade Posts: 93member
    They know Apple will never agree to this. They just want to ban successful American products to make sanctions of their own. Soon it will be Cold War 2. No American products allowed.
  • Reply 64 of 236
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

With current tensions between the US and Russia, it looks like history may indeed repeat itself. Since the end of the Cold War, Russia has had easy access to all US hardware and software with only a few restrictions such as advanced encryption software. I remember before 1991, the computer embargo prevented US companies from exporting software and the boxes had a big label "Not for Export."

Even with the embargo, Russia was able to clone an Intel 8080 chip back in the late 80s.  If Apple caves in on this I will lose a lot of respect for them. Apple should call their bluff and threaten to stop selling to Russia. I wouldn't give Putin the time of day.

According to the article, apparently Microsoft doesn't think any of their source code is worth protecting.

• Reply 65 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apple should call their bluff and threaten to stop selling to Russia. 

As an Apple stock holder, I am 100% ok with Apple losing a small amount of revenue and sales, if Apple stopped selling devices in Russia. Who needs them?

Like Tim Cook said, it's not always about money or profit.

• Reply 66 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Please let's not bring Israel into this.

It would do the world a whole lot of good if Israel totally wiped out HAMAS and it's supporters.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Hypocrisy and double standards just stink, everywhere.

• Reply 67 of 236
    This from a country known for it's open, free society. One where the people are free to conduct their personal and public affairs, even to the point of dissent, without fear of reprisal. A country where one's religious, political and even gender preferences are practiced unabated and without fear. A country that has kept solid rein on it's hackers and cyber criminal elements. A country whose operations with the Ukraine and Chechnya are open and above reproach.

Yeah. Right!
  • Reply 68 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Thank you. So don't blame Russia for any weapons provided to ethnic Russians currently under attack by the Kiev junta...just like you have always done with "friendly" groups all over the world, Al Qaeda included.

And no, I am not Russian - way far from that.

I would argue there is a difference between selling weapons to a sovereign nation to use for its national defense and selling (or providing) weapons to a resistance group inside a nation for the sole purpose of furthering your own political agenda. Sometimes it is the morally right thing to do sometimes it is not.  At the time the CIA began supporting the Mujahideen in Afghanistan they were fighting against Russia as an invading foriegn force. Terms like "junta" are misapplied and disingenuous and certainly don't apply in Ukraine situation. Ironically, the current Russian government is the direct result of a military coup.

• Reply 69 of 236
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

As an Apple stock holder, I am 100% ok with Apple losing a small amount of revenue and sales, if Apple stopped selling devices in Russia. Who needs them?

They wouldn't really lose any money because Russians would find a way to get their iDevices one way or another.

• Reply 70 of 236
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member

@brlawyer - You are more ignorant and one-sided then those who you complain about. As someone who has lived and worked in Russia (8 years) as well as several other countries for the better part of the last two decades.... its people like you (especially sounding so Russian) that makes me sick... all I have to say to your sort (regardless of sides) is "piss off!"

• Reply 71 of 236
    apple ][ wrote: »
    mstone wrote: »
    Apple should call their bluff and threaten to stop selling to Russia. 

Hear, Hear! You can always regain principal ... Once compromised, you can never regain your principles ...
  • Reply 72 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They wouldn't really lose any money because Russians would find a way to get their iDevices one way or another.

That's true.

When I was standing in line to buy an iPad 2 a few years ago (it took me three attempts to score an iPad 2), the number one scalpers were without a doubt the Chinese. The Russians were number two. 

• Reply 73 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Hear, Hear! You can always regain principal ... Once compromised, you can never regain your principles ...

Yep! Agreed.

AAPL will soon be over $100, with or without the Russians.;) 

• Reply 74 of 236
    jungmark wrote: »
    The missile system magically moved from Russia to the rebels before the attack and then magically moved back to Russia afterwards.

The US admitted it's error. Even earlier Russian regimes admitted their actions with regard to shooting down a Korean Air flight. Under Putin, Russia admits nothing. Instead, they blame everyone else.
  • Reply 75 of 236
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Agreed! I am having a jolly good time, just watching the news, while snacking on some peanuts and eating some ice cream, just watching the epic ass kicking that is currently taking place. It is hilarious, and it is the best comedy series that I have watched so far this year without a doubt. Hopefully there will be no further unnecessary ceasefires as Israel needs to finish the job completely, without any further annoying distractions. I laugh at the fools who are protesting this defensive action across the world. 

A jolly good time watching innocent people slaughtered?  Don't get me wrong, Hamas are cowards for hiding behind civilians.  But what Israel is doing is deplorable.  

• Reply 76 of 236
    uiguyuiguy Posts: 27member

Anybody can ask.  But it would essentially be state-sanctioned corporate espionage.  

But to your point - why would a country/government allow critical infrastructure to run on something they didn't create?  

• Reply 77 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

But what Israel is doing is deplorable.  

I guess that we disagree on that particular issue.

• Reply 78 of 236
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

A jolly good time watching innocent people slaughtered?  Don't get me wrong, Hamas are cowards for hiding behind civilians.  But what Israel is doing is deplorable.  

lets say you lived in San Diego near the border with Mexico and the Mexicans are firing rockets at you and building tunnels under the border and abducting teenagers and killing them to provoke you. Would you sit idly by and let them do this? OH yeah they also have in their manifesto that they wish to destroy you!

• Reply 79 of 236
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    [QUOTE]"Obviously, companies which disclose the source code of their programmes are not hiding anything, but those who do not intend to establish cooperation with Russia on this issue may have undeclared capabilities in their products," he added.[/QUOTE]

So if the police stop my car or knock on my door and I refuse to consent to a search then obviously I have undeclared evidence of criminal activity.

Sounds like the Spanish Inquisition to me, and no one expects the Spanish Inquisition.
  • Reply 80 of 236
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    It would do the world a whole lot of good if Israel totally wiped out HAMAS and it's supporters.

Wow! I expect calls for genocide from Apple][ but not from you. Anyone else we should eradicate?

Personally, I wish the US would stay out of Middle Eastern affairs, which includes selling military weapons. I hate the talk of brokering peace in the Middle East to win votes when there is nothing the US can do to make it better and selling of armaments just makes the situation worse.

~ The money of my enemy is my friend.