Offhand comment stirs hope that Apple could announce 'iWatch' in Sept. [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 156
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snoissea View Post

"It looks like Motorola's designers tried to draw as much attention as they could to the 360's stupid flat-tire display shape."

Motorola's "stupid flat-tire display shape" is only the shape almost EVERY WATCH EVER MADE has had.

Gruber is an idiot. No, Gruber is a retard and an idiot.

I think you'll find that is incorrect.

I'm having trouble spotting any flat tyres in here:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=watchface&go=Submit&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=watchface&sc=8-9&sp=-1&sk=

• Reply 42 of 156
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Rob Enderle? Eww...no. image

I know a lot of people dislike Paul Thurrott but I don't mind him so much, on Windows Weekly at least. I wouldn't mind Gruber having Mary Jo Foley on his show. She seems super cool and isn't ever nasty about Microsoft competitors. I wish he would have done his podcast with her instead of Ed Bott.

I like Enderle simply for no other reason than his pure Apple stupidity is comedy gold. He's been so wrong about Apple for so long that it gives me a good laugh and to hear him talk with Gruber and Darlymple would be pretty damn interesting to hear.

• Reply 43 of 156
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snoissea View Post

My point is that Gruber is such an Apple sycophant that he makes ridiculously biased statements when it concerns Apple's competition. If Apple put a literal piece of crap on a wristband, Gruber would write a five thousand word post in defense of it. 

Gruber isn't talking specifically about the overall watch shape, but about the band across the bottom of the face where the display controllers are.  It's a round watch face with a chunk out of the bottom of the display.  He's been raging on this on the blog and THE TALK SHOW since it was announced.  And he's right, it's a lazy compromised design.

If you've ever really read Gruber, you've heard him criticize many things about Apple hardware and software over the years.

• Reply 44 of 156
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gregnacu wrote: »
    Okay, this article is incredibly dumb. I don't think Gruber knows anything about it, it was just an idle comment about something that would be funny with regard to the Moto360. He's hardly making hard predictions. And here it gets picked up by AI with the random thirdparty mockup image that Gruber and friends made fun of just a couple episodes ago on The Talk Show.

1) He's had people giving him plenty of accurate information in the past.

2) He isn't know for making statements such statements. If he predictions he tends to qualify them as such.

3) He clearly stated, "...after Apple announces their wrist wearable thing next month." I don't know how else to interpret that except to say that Gruber believes it's a foregone conclusion that a wristworn device from Apple will be announced next month. His source could be lying or his source could have gotten false information but I don't think it's as simple as he's making it up or he had an opinion he decided to state as fact as that would ultimately hurt how he generates his income.

kent909 wrote: »
    There will never be a watch.

Are you saying there will never be a wrist-based device from Apple?
  • Reply 45 of 156
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I also wash windows weekly

Fixed that for you. ;)

sennen wrote: »
    GTR doesn't do sarcasm.

In Russia, sarcasm does GTR.
  • Reply 46 of 156
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    John is typically very respectful of Apple and their desire for secrecy so i find it shocking that he would blurt out something like this. which leads me to believe that either he doesn't really know and he's taking the piss. Or he does know and he knows that it is actually nothing like what the rumors are saying. After all he said 'thing', not device. A 'thing' could be a device, or it could be software. It would be the best joke if all these folks were crapping themselves thinking Apple was going to release an official bracelet device so they rush to release and announce their devices first. Only to go through it all for nothing when Apple announces a new phone with all sorts of enhanced sensors (continuing what they started with the m7) and an SDK coming shortly. and oh yeah, it will also provide added support for all those fitbit, fuel bands, pebble etc.
  • Reply 47 of 156
    Gruber's FAR more objective than DED could ever hope to be.

That and the fact that Gruber posts under his own name and not three or four different aliases like DED, Corrections, Prince McClean etc...

I disagree.

Apple has received considerable negative press over the past few years.

Tell me if you haven't heard this before:

No Steve, no Apple!
    Cook is a glorified administrator!
    Product 'X' is a major flop!
    Competitor's Product 'Y' is a major success!
    Apple stifle competition using the legal system!
    iProducts kill and oppress people!
    Apple lack innovation and have lost their mojo!
    Apple? Sell, sell, sell!!!

Articles were regularly regurgitated from one news sounding board to another with little verification of accuracy in order to generate clicks. And I strongly suspect many of these stories were created and/or paid for by a competition that was failing to compete successfully against Apple.

Quite frankly, it was refreshing to see somebody thinking differently, far less thinking at all, calling it how they saw it and backing up those articles with facts.

And let's face it, I don't recall too many people working through a list of those facts and disproving them. Rather we saw just a quick disparaging statements about the author.

Daniel did a bang-up job of writing appealing, well researched, interest generating articles that, judging from the comments sections, A LOT of people read.

And Richard Bachman wants to know what's wrong with using alternate names, your Lordship?
  • Reply 48 of 156
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I also watch Windows Weekly occasionally (and once in a blue moon, All About Android). My problem with the TWiT Windows podcasts... Leo seems so damn bored. He acts like his being there is painful to him (and it might be). 
    Sometimes he seems bored during MacBreak Weekly too. But at least he hasn't gone on a "when is Apple going to innovate again" rant for a while.
  • Reply 49 of 156
    Please tell me that is sarcasm. People already complain about word processing or spreadsheets on the iPhone, a 2" square (and that is being very liberal with the dimensions) would be impossible!

It was sarcasm.

With a dollop of satire on top for flavour.
  • Reply 50 of 156
    rogifan wrote: »
    Sometimes he seems bored during MacBreak Weekly too. But at least he hasn't gone on a "when is Apple going to innovate again" rant for a while.

What I want to know is when Apple will STOP innovating?

This constant innovation in software and hardware is getting b o r i n g !
  • Reply 51 of 156
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member

at this point, regardless of the rumour, however credible the person behind it is, i am not holding my breath. it seems like every other day someone has something to say about it.

• Reply 52 of 156
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,047member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I like Enderle simply for no other reason than his pure Apple stupidity is comedy gold.

Yes, add NPD and Gartner to the list.

Also, Gene Munster, Shaw Wu, and Digitimes. There are some others as well.

• Reply 53 of 156

I'm waiting for Apple to release their "smart" jockstrap this November.  :P

• Reply 54 of 156
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    snoissea wrote: »

My point is that Gruber is such an Apple sycophant that he makes ridiculously biased statements when it concerns Apple's competition. If Apple put a literal piece of crap on a wristband, Gruber would write a five thousand word post in defense of it. 

You don't read Gruber a lot, do you.

It's interesting that John Gruber sort of confirmed a watch while Hans Gruber died while he was holding onto a watch.
  • Reply 55 of 156
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Looks like he wrote something, left in a sarcastic ending, and went off for the weekend. Is he going to be surprised when he gets back.
  • Reply 57 of 156
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    After all the fuzz I just had to check out te 360 and... wtf.. It's some sort of a joke, right? It's the worst thing I've ever seen.
    Well, whatever Apple does I hope it comes in different flavours. Wearing a bracelet is very personal, and I'd hate if there's a one-design-for-all mindset there. We'd all look like patients on a futuristic hospital.
  • Reply 58 of 156
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    robbyx wrote: »
    banyanjd wrote: »
    I'd rather the greatest designer of our age take a shot at combining design,software,services, and technology to deliver another magical user experience.

Do you work for Apple PR?  That was an amazing sentence. ;)

But it's half a sentence, right? The word rather normally gets followed by a than. And I think the grammar is off right at the beginning: "I'd rather (something's missing here) the greatest..."
  • Reply 59 of 156
    ireland wrote: »

That's right from Gruber that he was making a joke but even after re-reading it I don't see how that statement is in any way jokey. Regardless, wearables have been here for a multitude decades and will only continue to increase as electronics get smaller, become more power efficient, and batteries densities get higher. This market will only continue to grow in the digital age.
  • Reply 60 of 156
    philboogie wrote: »
    But it's half a sentence, right? The word rather normally gets followed by a than. And I think the grammar is off right at the beginning: "I'd rather (something's missing here) the greatest..."

It's fine as written. It's read like this, "I'd prefer the greatest designer of our age take a shot at combining design,software,services, and technology to deliver another magical user experience."