Offhand comment stirs hope that Apple could announce 'iWatch' in Sept. [u]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Daniel did a bang-up job of writing appealing, well researched, interest generating articles that, judging from the comments sections, A LOT of people read.

And Richard Bachman wants to know what's wrong with using alternate names, your Lordship?

The reasons I wouldn't trust DED/Corrections/Prince McLean as far as I could throw him? Here's a few:

http://web.archive.org/web/20120217185943/http://www.bynkii.com/archives/2008/08/happy_morning_coffee_fun_stupi.html

http://tracks.ranea.org/post/524619951/dan-dilger-exploding-head

I trust Gruber FAR more than I would EVER trust Dilger. Yes, Gruber links back to himself at times but the difference between him and Dilger is that Gruber links to himself and not an online alias as Daniel Dilger does. Dilger's relentless sock-puppeting, factual errors that - ironically - rarely if ever get "Corrected" are just some of the issues I have with DED.

To be fair though there are articles of Dilger's that I actually HAVE enjoyed reading but they are few and far between.

• Reply 62 of 156

I don't wear a watch and I don't have any reason to check my health or fitness with a watch's sensors. But I hope for Apple's sake, and the stock price, that they release a watch. They are practically obligated to make a watch at this point. And, I believe many will buy it up because they will know that it will be the best one on the market.

• Reply 63 of 156
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

The reasons I wouldn't trust DED/Corrections/Prince McLean as far as I could throw him? Here's a few:

http://web.archive.org/web/20120217185943/http://www.bynkii.com/archives/2008/08/happy_morning_coffee_fun_stupi.html

http://tracks.ranea.org/post/524619951/dan-dilger-exploding-head

I trust Gruber FAR more than I would EVER trust Dilger. Yes, Gruber links back to himself at times but the difference between him and Dilger is that Gruber links to himself and not an online alias as Daniel Dilger does. Dilger's relentless sock-puppeting, factual errors that - ironically - rarely if ever get "Corrected" are just some of the issues I have with DED.

To be fair though there are articles of Dilger's that I actually HAVE enjoyed reading but they are few and far between.

You make it sound like we are only ever able to consider information from one source or the other.

Are we not able to consider information from a number of sources, evaluate it, then make an informed decision?

I'd say both Daniel and Gruber have both been right more often than they have not.

If you continue to read them, you should consider Daniel's articles as a wonderful opportunity. If they are incorrect then you've been presented with the chance to 'set the record straight', which I would highly recommend you do.

How fucking cool is that?
  • Reply 64 of 156
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    But it's half a sentence, right? The word rather normally gets followed by a than. And I think the grammar is off right at the beginning: "I'd rather (something's missing here) the greatest..."

It's fine as written. It's read like this, "I'd prefer the greatest designer of our age take a shot at combining design,software,services, and technology to deliver another magical user experience."

Thanks for explaining it. (I'd rather understood this on my own though)
  • Reply 65 of 156
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by appleempl View Post

But I hope for Apple's sake, and the stock price, that they release a watch.

Who cares? Not real people.

They are practically obligated to make a watch at this point.

Did they go bankrupt when they didn’t make a 2.5” iPhone? And didn’t make an HDTV? They’ll be fine as long as they explicitly DON’T listen to what morons say to make.

• Reply 66 of 156
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    I personally consider Gruber to be quite a talented wordsmith. He's written a few times that he strives to be the minimalist and perfectionist similar to the company he writes about.

DED on the other hand is a writer more in the Steven King style, afflicted with Diarrhea-of-the-Typewriter Syndrome.

Both bake their literary cookies with the same base ingredients i.e. logic... however one decides that a simple flourish of chocolate chips will be enough of a nuance; the other drops in chocolate chips, M&Ms, colored sprinkles, macadamia nuts and anything else he pulls from the cupboard... than goes on tangents to try and justify that each addition adds flavor and substance to his argument. One is disciplined and trained in taste gourmet, the other is, well... "I do what I want and if ya don't like it, F*** Off... and I'll tell that to your face via my other self".

I'm backing Gruber on this one and it surely wasn't a mistake. He's looking to add to his "Claim Chowder".

Speaking of which, the above anology is most often described using soup as the metaphor. I happen to (unfortunately) know cookies much better. Beer, wine and spirits work too, but we are in a mixed-cultured forum here and we don't need any of that to get into a good ol' fashioned beer brawl here, do we? :smokey:
  • Reply 67 of 156
    gruber is a fun site and i think his latest comment is just a joke .
    here on AI I have much respect for DED for the great work he has been doing in exposing falsehoods/ lies /manipulations in the "statistics" presented by polling strategic analytical firms.
    The nonsense regarding marketshare and units sold influences stock prices, pension funds, investors big and small - so this site's work in exposing the fraud has won deep gratitude and respect from me.
    He, and Gruber, are passionate, literate and enjoyable.
  • Reply 68 of 156
    I personally consider Gruber to be quite a talented wordsmith. He's written a few times that he strives to be the minimalist and perfectionist similar to the company he writes about.

DED on the other hand is a writer more in the Steven King style, afflicted with Diarrhea-of-the-Typewriter Syndrome.

Both bake their literary cookies with the same base ingredients i.e. logic... however one decides that a simple flourish of chocolate chips will be enough of a nuance; the other drops in chocolate chips, M&Ms, colored sprinkles, macadamia nuts and anything else he pulls from the cupboard... than goes on tangents to try and justify that each addition adds flavor and substance to his argument. One is disciplined and trained in taste gourmet, the other is, well... "I do what I want and if ya don't like it, F*** Off... and I'll tell that to your face via my other self".

I'm backing Gruber on this one and it surely wasn't a mistake. He's looking to add to his "Claim Chowder".

Speaking of which, the above anology is most often described using soup as the metaphor. I happen to (unfortunately) know cookies much better. Beer, wine and spirits work too, but we are in a mixed-cultured forum here and we don't need any of that to get into a good ol' fashioned beer brawl here, do we? :smokey:

Like ''im. Don't like 'im.

But you still read 'im, right?

And personal preference doesn't mean he's wrong.

That's all I have left to say about write and wrong.

;)
  • Reply 69 of 156
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    philboogie wrote: »
    But it's half a sentence, right? The word rather normally gets followed by a than. And I think the grammar is off right at the beginning: "I'd rather (something's missing here) the greatest..."

He's using rather as a synonym for prefer. There are no laws saying rather needs to be followed by than.
  • Reply 70 of 156
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

iWatch.

As long as it has a physical keyboard and can run Office Excel, I'm getting one.

You forgot about Flash. Without Flash it is not up to date!

:smokey:

• Reply 71 of 156
    gtr wrote: »
    Like ''im. Don't like 'im.

But you still read 'im, right?

And personal preference doesn't mean he's wrong.

That's all I have left to say about write and wrong.

;)

Just for the record, I read and enjoy Steven King too, or else I wouldn't know what I'm talking about would I?

Ya just gotta speed read a bit faster and pick out the "raisins" before you get caught up in the crunchy "dingleberries".

I like my cookies "fine, moist and chewy" rather than "crunchy". That goes for... well... just about everything. Hear that [@]Relic[/@]... :p
  • Reply 72 of 156
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Sometimes he seems bored during MacBreak Weekly too. But at least he hasn't gone on a "when is Apple going to innovate again" rant for a while.

Yeah, WW14 shut him up for a while.
  • Reply 73 of 156
    copeland wrote: »
    You forgot about Flash. Without Flash it is not up to date!
    :smokey:

Or serial ports.

How else would you print stuff and use the mouse?
  • Reply 74 of 156
    Ha! Something else (and completely different) but still on topic because "Gruber" is in the title.

From his RSS Feed: [URL=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/sports/best-beer-in-baseball/]The Best Beer in Baseball[/URL]

Still fits "fine, moist and chewy"... I eat the sides of the cups in suspense!
  • Reply 75 of 156
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,657member
    Gruber's comment is nothing more revealing than the general buzz that Apple is going to release or announce some kind of wrist device "sometime next month" or "this fall" or whatever. We all think something is coming. If it doesn't come exactly as predicted before the next prediction, it doesn't mean anything either.

So a big fat [I]MEH[/I] from me until Apple actually announces it.
  • Reply 76 of 156
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    The iRolex.
    WatchBeats by Dr Dre.
  • Reply 77 of 156
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snoissea View Post

"It looks like Motorola's designers tried to draw as much attention as they could to the 360's stupid flat-tire display shape."

Motorola's "stupid flat-tire display shape" is only the shape almost EVERY WATCH EVER MADE has had.

Gruber is an idiot. No, Gruber is a retard and an idiot.

The "flat tire shape" Gruber is talking about is that it's not 360, it's not a full circle, like a flat tyre is not a full circle. There is an ugly black eyesore bit missing from the display. That is not the shape "almost EVERY WATCH EVER MADE has had".

• Reply 78 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

John Gruber is very careful about everything he posts. I heard him say a few years ago he likes to control every pixel on his site. He wouldn't post this comment without knowing something. 

Yes. I think he used the word "if" and not "when" for a reason. 

• Reply 79 of 156
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    gregnacu wrote: »
    I don't think Gruber knows anything .

Wait for Jim Dalrymple's "yep" or "nope".

AI clearly confused the two. Darymple is the guy who's yep or nope means something. Gruber is a grub.
  • Reply 80 of 156
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Who cares? Not real people.

I'm confused, do you not realize that plenty of people already want one, and millions would buy one if it were available?

Or is this just about what they "need" or don't need to do for the bottom line?
    rogifan wrote: »
    Was Gruber intentionally letting something slip or was that comment based on many people's assumption Apple will announce something next month? I still have a sneaky feeling Apple won't be announcing just one thing. 9to5Mac reported that Apple hired another YSL executive and the team they're part of is focused on retail strategies for wearables. I don't think Apple would need a team for that if all they're announcing is one device that's either like an Android Wear device or a Nike FuelBand.

What are you babbling about now? No, if anything recent hires indicate a launch is further out in the future.

It's only because we've been hearing stories of different hires over the last year or more that indicate a product could be coming to fruition now.