asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I just hate those Anericans :lol:

And I hate people who quote typos.
  • Reply 463 of 757
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It just seems uselessly lazy to me (or lazily useless?). English speakers don’t whine that the phrase has remained “lingua franca” despite English now never being unthronable as a world language, nor have we tried to impose our own phrase in replacement.

Good job too, if there's any chance it'd end up as mangled as that sentence.  "now never being unthronable" - what tense exactly is that supposed to be in? ;)

• Reply 464 of 757
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And you're against universal standards, why?

Replacing a universal standard with a universal standard isn’t exactly productive.

It is about making things universally acceptable, not for the sake of a standard.

Same thing with Greenwich Mean Time, which is now being changed to Universal Coordinated Time. There are more countries on that longitude than just England, so why name it for a city in England? 

Since the Obamas are Christian, there is a good chance that they say grace before a family meal. When they entertain foreign dignitaries with a State Dinner at the White House, I would be surprised if they say grace. It is the same thing with BCE/CE. It just makes it universally acceptable and should not offend anyone.

• Reply 465 of 757
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Same thing with Greenwich Mean Time, which is now being changed to Universal Coordinated Time. There are more countries on that longitude than just England, so why name it for a city in England?

Because it’s absolutely insane not to? Should we rename the Wankel rotary engine because it’s no longer built by just Germans or Sambalpuri because it’s not danced just by people who live in the city? “Universally acceptable”; there’s nothing unacceptable about a thing being named for the place or principles upon which it was founded! Next we’ll hear that “Texas Hold ‘em” is being renamed “Three Down Two Up.”

• Reply 466 of 757
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It just seems uselessly lazy to me (or lazily useless?). English speakers don’t whine that the phrase has remained “lingua franca” despite English now never being unthronable as a world language, nor have we tried to impose our own phrase in replacement.

Do you know how many plebs know what lingua franca means? I best many would assume it's French, but that's completely different because Italian is not a religion and you can — and do — use many other phrases to refer to your common language. What's both lazy and arrogant is to say that nothing should ever change because I don't neither learn anything new or care about anything unfamiliar to me… unless of course the rest of the world — made up of uncivilized cretins — want to adopt my superior culture and religion.
    I don’t see why. It’s pronouncing the same thing a different way.

It's not a word pronunciation issue because it's numbers being converted into different words with different pronunciations but the same meaning. It's no different than something saying Current Era rather than simple CE |s?-?|.
  • Reply 467 of 757
    Quote:

Because it’s absolutely insane not to? Should we rename the Wankel rotary engine because it’s no longer built by just Germans or Sambalpuri because it’s not danced just by people who live in the city? “Universally acceptable”; there’s nothing unacceptable about a thing being named for the place or principles upon which it was founded! Next we’ll hear that “Texas Hold ‘em” is being renamed “Three Down Two Up.”

Completely different. Nobody is forced to use an engine, or dance or play cards. Everyone in the world needs to use dates and time.

• Reply 468 of 757
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    Quote:

The same way a single-celled organism relates to us: read the previous 472 posts to see how the conversation evolved.

Cells aren't supposed to divide uncontrollably and take over the whole body. Normally it's the job of moderators to cut out the cancer to keep the patient healthy. :) Do doctors normally check all 472 billion cells of a tumor to determine how the tumor formed?

• Reply 469 of 757
    sporlo wrote: »
    Cells aren't supposed to divide uncontrollably and take over the whole body. Normally it's the job of moderators to cut out the cancer to keep the patient healthy. :) Do doctors normally check all 472 billion cells of a tumor to determine how the tumor formed?

Think of the first post as a stem cell.
  • Reply 470 of 757
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Completely different. Nobody is forced to use an engine, or dance or play cards. Everyone in the world needs to use dates and time.

And there go the goalposts.

• Reply 471 of 757
    Quote:

Learn how to read the English language, please. This is, what, two dozen times now?

I was just having a joke with you, but if you're going to be your usual dick self, then fine.  By the rules of the English language, that sentence is a train wreck.  If you're going to demand I learn to read (I am perfectly able) then you should learn to write (you aren't).

Not a word of your arrogant, moronic, repetitive and dull bullshit will change that.

Good night.

• Reply 472 of 757
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    Quote:

Think of the first post as a stem cell.

A stem cell for what? Anything you want it to be? No, only what is relevant to the topic "Apple reveals most employees......". The only reason I keep posting and increasing the cancer is because I see that the patient is already dead and he's not coming back.

• Reply 473 of 757
    sporlo wrote: »
    The only reason I keep posting and increasing the cancer is because I see that the patient is already dead and he's not coming back.

OK, so you're a hypocrite. First not talking about the original topic and then again for altering the topic yourself.
  • Reply 474 of 757
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

A stem cell for what? Anything you want it to be? No, only what is relevant to the topic "Apple reveals most employees......". The only reason I keep posting and increasing the cancer is because I see that the patient is already dead and he's not coming back.

There's always cloning...

• Reply 475 of 757
    Quote:

It's not self-serving but generalized terminology. 

What’s ungeneralized about BC and AD? Everyone who would use BCE and CE already uses them.

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

...refer to 2014 as 2014.

“Today is Thursday, August fourteen, two thousand fourteen.”

I HATE YOU PEOPLE SO MUCH. MEANING NEWSCASTERS, MAINLY. IT’S TWENTY FOURTEEN. TWENTY FOURTEEN. THE TITANIC DIDN’T SINK IN ONE THOUSAND NINE HUNDRED TWELVE. THE CIVIL WAR DIDN’T START IN ONE THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED SIXTY-ONE. 

You had your fun little period where you could say “two thousand” and then a number. IT’S OVER. GO BACK TO NORMAL.

In before North America/America argument.

Lol! If only it were so simple. 

The problem arises because of the cadence of the English language. When we went from 19th to 20th century, this problem didn't arise, because both were teens, and therefore had the same inflexion. However, we say 'twenty' a different way-it's two short syllables, as opposed to the two long syllables of 'nineteen.' And so, we find it alien even now, thirteen years into the century.

• Reply 476 of 757
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred1 View Post

Sure, and so is Christmas (Santa Claus, Christmas trees), but those are not the Christian-faith based observances.  While it's true that the dates of Christmas and Easter were deliberately fixed to coincide with and, it was hoped, cover up the pagan rituals, it doesn't detract from their true meaning, the birth of Christ and the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ.  

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!  

It's just that Christians try hard to conceal the meaning of the holiday so as to have everyone celebrate it. They've always done that. It shouldn't be called by the rather neutral sounding name of Christmas, but rather do it boldly, and call it what it is; Christ's Mass.

That would be incorrect; it's the celebration of the birth of Christ.

• Reply 477 of 757
    Quote:

To get back to what the article, and the thread was SUPPOSED to be about, there is this.

http://pxlnv.com/blog/tech-company-diversity-stats/

Some of you might have seen the link to that in today's Daring Fireball.

So, actually, when compared to other tech companies, though this is limited to software companies, so not entirely comparable, Apple comes out pretty well.

There is no 'well' when it comes to diversity. Either Apple hires the best possible people it can for the jobs, or it doesn't. Diversity is simply a right-on term to appeal to the liberals of today, like you.

• Reply 478 of 757
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

And there go the goalposts.

That is why I stated Universal. There is no reason to change the name of a card game. If you don't like it, ignore it. You don't get the option to ignore dates and time if you want to live in society. There is no good reason to continue to perpetuate archaic colonial and religious conventions in an age of modern communication and equality and freedom among people of different cultural heritages.

• Reply 479 of 757
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

That would be incorrect; it's the celebration of the birth of Christ.

And the pronunciation of christmas suggests that... how?

It is Christ's Mass, the mass to honour Christ.  Christmas is a derivation, just like many words and concepts in modern mainstream Christianity.  

melgross is not incorrect.

• Reply 480 of 757
    Quote:

Modern American music has a major impact everywhere, as has classical European music. It's driven much of local music into small, almost historical nodes.

The same thing with literature, and dress. Architecture has been affected as well.

As it should. Western classical music is superior to all other music, which is why so many other cultures with a rich heritage of native music have adopted Western classical and popular music, but not the other way round. When we adopt other cultures' music, we always incorporate it into a Western structure, because of its innate superiority.