Apple details content migration from Android to iOS in new support document

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    herbapou wrote: »
    This really brings out how retarded iOS is at handling files. I wish Apple would lighten up and support files in its OS.

Because Apple supports no files in iOS, as you say.

No photos, no music, no video, no documents.

I think you've had one herb too many, Mr. Herbapou.
  • Reply 42 of 94
    relic wrote: »
    therealtom wrote: »
    Really no reason for anyone on android to stay on android now.

SD Card, removable battery, DLNA, Miracast,HDMI out supports 1080p for all apps including desktop, unhindered NFC (you can use wireless speakers), full multitasking (your not limited to only a select number of apps that are allowed to run in the background), wireless charging, higher resolution, file manager(my home NAS is mounted as a local drive so every app can save on it without having to do use a client), better communication between apps(for instance, if OneDrive is installed all apps can access it, not just apps that have to be preprogrammed, I.E. Pages), waterproof, better camera, 2GB+ RAM, etc.

You can't simply say there is now no reason for someone to stay with Android, everyone has different needs and expectations, I know it might sound crazy that there are actually people out there that might prefer a different mobile platform other then an iPhone. MySelf, well I am strongly back with BlackBerry, OS 10.4 is friggen insanely cool and the Porshe Design phone I run it on with built in HDMI out is bar none not only one one of the best looking and most enjoyable phones to use since my Nokia Communicator 9500 but it's unique, everyone and their mothers have an iPhone now. I can't wait until RIM releases their new Passport, I'll defiantly be the first to order one. I also have a Nexus 5 which I use for programming and a Nokia 1020 which I use for social media, specifically apps that have to do with photography, not to mention it's the strongest most durable phone I've used as of yet. You could toss it across the street and it would keep on ticking.

Well, you think different. So that makes you one of us! You can't win!

Being serious, even though Apple's market share has been rising every year since 2007, it still only has about 12%, so I wouldn't say that everyone has one.
  • Reply 43 of 94
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    slurpy wrote: »
    For all the "ANDROID HAS HAD X FEATURE FOR YEARS LOL" posts, I haven't seen a single one that addresses the above. Android does NOT have a built in, full backup and restore solution, something that the iPhone has had almost since its conception. To me, that's one of the most CRITICAL features to have, yet Google gets zero flack for not having it, and as expected, Android fanatics either dont give a shit, or dont bring any attention to it. You either need to pay to buy a decent backup utility, or download a shitload of utilities, each backing up different aspects of the phone, and pray that they actually restore. I used a highly rated SMS backup utility when I swtiched from a Nexus4 to a 5, and after "successfully" backing up, I was not able to restore anything to the new phone. Same with app saves- there's absolutely no clarity on what is being backed up, and what isn't. Upgrading Android phones while retaining all your data is a fucking nightmare. I guess Android loving neckbeards love that though, more reason to spend hours fucking with their new phone. 

But yeah, it's all good. Apple's still stuck in 2012, or something. 

Really, I have the best backup system that I have ever seen for any phone. When my phone is plugged in into it's dock I have a desktop application that auto backups up the entire system onto a ROM, puts a date in front of it and then uploads it to the cloud and puts a copy onto my NAS drive. Takes about 5 minutes to do. In case of total system failure I can simply flash the backup ROM back to the phone, phone broken, no problem, I just grab my backup from my cabinet and flash that one, also takes about 5 minutes. I can also choose single directories or files. I have been using this method since my first Android phone the Samsung Galaxy S2. I used to do it with Perl scripts but now there are programs for it. Also a big reason why I now only use Nexus devices, their easy to flash. This method also means I can test multiple OS's like FireFox OS, Ubuntu Touch, Sail OS without having to worry about my data. Anybody can do this too, this isn't some super geek secret, install drivers, install program, click backup, done.
  • Reply 44 of 94
    Well, you think different. So that makes you one of us! You can't win!

Being serious, even though Apple's market share has been rising every year since 2007, it still only has about 12%, so I wouldn't say that everyone has one.

Yeah I know, I just like replying to people who say, why would you want anything else. You know me, I can't help myself, I'm like a super nerd built from parts of lesser nerds.
  • Reply 45 of 94
    <p>Funny.</p><p> </p><p>Just the other day I started noticing Samsung Galaxy ads on bus stops here in Vancouver with their ad telling you how easy it is to go from iOS to Android and how you can quickly transfer contacts, mail and pictures.</p><p> </p><p>Of course, they don't say anything about how to handle the $shitty app selection.</p>
    relic wrote: »
    Really, I have the best backup system that I have ever seen for any phone. When my phone is plugged in into it's dock I have a desktop application that auto backups up the entire system onto a ROM, puts a date in front of it and then uploads it to the cloud and puts a copy onto my NAS drive. Takes about 5 minutes to do. In case of total system failure I can simply flash the backup ROM back to the phone, phone broken, no problem, I just grab my backup from my cabinet and flash that one, also takes about 5 minutes. I can also choose single directories or files. I have been using this method since my first Android phone the Samsung Galaxy S2. I used to do it with Perl scripts but now there are programs for it. Also a big reason why I now only use Nexus devices, their easy to flash. This method also means I can test multiple OS's like FireFox OS, Ubuntu Touch, Sail OS without having to worry about my data. Anybody can do this too, this isn't some super geek secret, install drivers, install program, click backup, done.

Which program is this? I want to try it with my Andriod devices.
  • Reply 46 of 94
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member
    That's cool. Apple clearly knew what they were doing when they caved to the (Asian market-led) fetish for big screen phones.

Agreed but I and many friends and family I know would love a 6s, as in all the new stuff in the same size as a 5s.
  • Reply 47 of 94
    From an android user...LOL!! Good luck with that, Apple. Not going to be trading my phone in though.
  • Reply 48 of 94
    <p>Funny.</p><p> </p><p>Just the other day I started noticing Samsung Galaxy ads on bus stops here in Vancouver with their ad telling you how easy it is to go from iOS to Android and how you can quickly transfer contacts, mail and pictures.</p><p> </p><p>Of course, they don't say anything about how to handle the $shitty app selection.</p>
    Which program is this? I want to try it with my Andriod devices.

I use this one to do quick ROM backups, if you have any questions that the thread I posted doesn't answer feel free to ask and I will walk you through it.

However for more in depth backups this is the must have program, Titanium Backup it's defiantly a very powerful app.

What phone do you have?
  • Reply 49 of 94

Android lovers had plenty reason to switch.  iPhone fans had plenty reason to switch as well.  Software & Hardware on both sides.  So many self righteous no it alls on both sides...irritates me to the core for so many consumers to act with such elitist attitude!

Things are always better when you have options!

Don't bother starting pissing contest...I'm not interested.

Android lovers had plenty reason to switch.  iPhone fans had plenty reason to switch as well.  Software & Hardware on both sides.  So many self righteous no-it-alls on both sides...

Irritates me to the core for so many consumers to act with such 
    elitist attitude!

Things are always better when you have options!

Don't bother starting pissing contest...I'm not interested.

• Reply 50 of 94

Ridiculous banter 

• Reply 51 of 94
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    therealtom wrote: »
    Really no reason for anyone on android to stay on android now.

Man... I don't like Samsung, and I dislike Google even more... and I still think you must be joking.

There are plenty of reasons to select either platform, depending on one's needs; we don't live in Mao’s China, not everyone have same suit and hairstyle.
    I don’t even delve through hard-core Android fan forums... but on DailyTech.com (which is associated with Anandtech.com), which I think is far from ultra-bias in any favour, you can easily find complains like:

16 GB on entry iPhone 6 is miserably low for the price
    1GB of RAM is low for any model
    No SD card support
    No swappable battery
    iPhone 6 should be 1080p for the price
    iPhone 6 Plus should be over 1080p for the price
    Not water resistant (I don’t even know if this is true)
    Camera resolution low for high end device
    OS (shockingly, some people prefer other Oses)

Regardless of how universal – or individual – these reasons are, they are valid for some people. Saying there are no reasons to buy anything else is like saying there are no reasons to buy any other car but (insert your favourite car here). Of course there are reasons. There always are. Some objective, some completely personal. But regardless.
  • Reply 52 of 94
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

while you may think it's important, it's not something I would get into a pissing match over when describing the benefits of an iPhone.

Faster, yes.  64bit registers and addressing... not something I would buy a phone over.

Spoken like one of the losers stuck with old fashioned 32 bit.

"The bits that are better, aren't important, so we won't count them." :- Android fans.

• Reply 53 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Switch to iCloud. Problem solved.

Recently I had to transfer my wife's iPhone 5 to a Galaxy S4, while it went for repair (it took a few days for a service swap), because the S4 was rooted (Google Play edition), Samsung Smart switch or KIES wouldn't work.

Got the replacement iPhone back and synced it with iTunes and everything was back the way it was before.

• Reply 54 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Man... I don't like Samsung, and I dislike Google even more... and I still think you must be joking.

There are plenty of reasons to select either platform, depending on one's needs; we don't live in Mao’s China, not everyone have same suit and hairstyle.

I don’t even delve through hard-core Android fan forums... but on DailyTech.com (which is associated with Anandtech.com), which I think is far from ultra-bias in any favour, you can easily find complains like:

No SD card support

No swappable battery

Regardless of how universal – or individual – these reasons are, they are valid for some people. Saying there are no reasons to buy anything else is like saying there are no reasons to buy any other car but (insert your favourite car here). Of course there are reasons. There always are. Some objective, some completely personal. But regardless.

I guess the HTC One's (M7, M8) with their 4 megapixel cameras are screwed then, no wonder they aren't making money in spite of being hailed as the best Android handsets by reviewers.

• Reply 55 of 94
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

For all the "ANDROID HAS HAD X FEATURE FOR YEARS LOL" posts, I haven't seen a single one that addresses the above. Android does NOT have a built in, full backup and restore solution, something that the iPhone has had almost since its conception. To me, that's one of the most CRITICAL features to have, yet Google gets zero flack for not having it, and as expected, Android fanatics either dont give a shit, or dont bring any attention to it. You either need to pay to buy a decent backup utility, or download a shitload of utilities, each backing up different aspects of the phone, and pray that they actually restore. I used a highly rated SMS backup utility when I swtiched from a Nexus4 to a 5, and after "successfully" backing up, I was not able to restore anything to the new phone. Same with app saves- there's absolutely no clarity on what is being backed up, and what isn't. Upgrading Android phones while retaining all your data is a fucking nightmare. I guess Android loving neckbeards love that though, more reason to spend hours fucking with their new phone. 

But yeah, it's all good. Apple's still stuck in 2012, or something. 

In the last year alone I've had two friends lured to Android handsets by sales reps to scores of facebook praise by Android users offering to help them set it up. Within a fortnight they were both posting ads for someone looking to buy a "barely used" Samsung model and both ended up with an iPhone 5S. The online backlash was amusing. One guy even said people were "expecting too much" if they wanted an Android phone that synced/backed-up in ways iPhone/iTunes has for years!

• Reply 56 of 94
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

No SD card support

No swappable battery

Oh how I do love a good price-based argument, especially in comparison to brands that made "negative profit" in the last financial year. As a customer I'm happy that Apple have decent margins it means that they have a stable future. How many people how invested in the Palm ecosystem are thrilled about it today?

As an iPhone 4S user I happen to think the iPhone 6 plus represents good value for money, even if a raw spec sheet comparison might say otherwise.

• Reply 57 of 94
    Hi, I'm an iPhone.

I'm a Galaxy!

Really, a whole galaxy. That's impressive.

Yes, it is. I'm quite large, you know.

I see that, Galaxy. Good for you.

It is good for me. Not so good for you. You're a puny iPhone.

Well actually, Galaxy, I'm the same size as you, only smaller. And thinner.

So you are. I didn't see that coming.

Maybe you need a bigger camera.
    HAHAHAHA!!! LOVE IT!!!
  • Reply 58 of 94
    herbapou wrote: »
    This really brings out how retarded iOS is at handling files. I wish Apple would lighten up and support files in its OS.

Floppy disks too. And tape drives.
  • Reply 59 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

SD Card, removable battery, DLNA, Miracast,HDMI out supports 1080p for all apps including desktop, unhindered NFC (you can use wireless speakers), full multitasking (your not limited to only a select number of apps that are allowed to run in the background), wireless charging, higher resolution, file manager(my home NAS is mounted as a local drive so every app can save on it without having to do use a client), better communication between apps(for instance, if OneDrive is installed all apps can access it, not just apps that have to be preprogrammed, I.E. Pages), waterproof, better camera, 2GB+ RAM, etc.

You can't simply say there is now no reason for someone to stay with Android, everyone has different needs and expectations, I know it might sound crazy that there are actually people out there that might prefer a different mobile platform other then an iPhone. MySelf, well I am strongly back with BlackBerry, OS 10.4 is friggen insanely cool and the Porshe Design phone I run it on with built in HDMI out is bar none not only one one of the best looking and most enjoyable phones to use since my Nokia Communicator 9500 but it's unique, everyone and their mothers have an iPhone now. I can't wait until RIM releases their new Passport, I'll defiantly be the first to order one. I also have a Nexus 5 which I use for programming and a Nokia 1020 which I use for social media, specifically apps that have to do with photography, not to mention it's the strongest most durable phone I've used as of yet. You could toss it across the street and it would keep on ticking.

1) SD card cannot be used to run apps on. its storage, wtf do you think the cloud is for?

2) Android devices are simply replacement of feature phones and not used as a smartphone, especially in the U.S

3) Well if your phone needs an extra battery there must be something up with its power consumption. I have never ever seen anyone who owns a Android phone with an extra battery, The only way you can get a full days use out of an Android phone is to dim the screen to minimum and don't tell us thats not true because we know you are lying

4) Multi tasking is for  the desktop , useless feature on a phone 

5) I have a cable for HDMI out on my iPhone genius, not that I need it. 

6) file management is for nerds, next you will be touting its command prompt (LOL), really most people don't give toss about the nightmare of managing  a file directory

7) Iphone has wireless speakers too

8) no its not a better camera pixels has very little to do with it, as many professional reviews have pointed out. You really are displaying your technical ignorance now.

9) iPhone only requires 1GB of RAM because it doesn't need more , iOS is smaller and runs faster

10) Oh and its called Blackberry now , its about given up on the handset market, its  now almost all a software services company

11) iOS is insane cool, easy to use, intuitive and simple to use

12) NFC only works on <10% of Android installed base, an unmitigated failure

13) oh and it is "Porsche" nor "Porshe"

• Reply 60 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

What about "Free and Open?"  *snicker*

Android devices are simply replacement of feature phones and not used as a smartphone, especially in the U.S

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

What do files actually do for us?

I believe that mobile devices are trying to solve a specific problem. This problem has to do data conversion and more specifically the ability to get visibility (a fancy term for access) into another application's data efficiently and easily. If we think about it, the PC desktop and thus all its spinoffs like Android has one fundamental flaw. The file based operating system constrained by a myriad of competing file types complicates the task of accessing information in a consistent way and forces us into a mindset of thinking about file formats. The winners like Microsoft create an ad hoc standard which solves this to some extent but results in a monopoly which is not really in the best interests of the market long term. If we think about it, the problem is using files to hold information in the first place. Files are little islands that prevent us from getting at the data they contain. They are really a way to prevent communication. The more sophisticated the application that creates them is, the harder it is to use them. In effect files are not “open”. How did "files" come about? Well depends how far back we want to go, lets say it started with the advent of the mainframe back in the 50's and 60's. The technology back then was essentially "core" memory where little round iron cores which switch on and off to store the binary 1’s and 0’s. From this came the modern file types we see today. Now you take this tech and combine it with the way business was conducted back then, which was daily batch processing. The banks would settle up their accounts after the branches closed at the end of the day. So you take a business process and automate it and make it faster . There’s an old saying in the computer business. All you do when computerizing a business practice is make an inefficient and broken process an even faster and more broken. It simply makes losses larger faster. The banking industry moved from being a daily batch system to an online “transaction” oriented system we have today. 

Lets step back a little and realize that Information processing system has 3 components:

1 The input information

2 Some processing of that information

3 Output of processed information

The way IBM developed their computer systems on “big iron” cores was to take the information (the input) from the teletype and ticker tape, remember those? The first thing that was done was to store it in a file. This is what we call in the trade . “IBM think”. 

If we need to do something with that data like a produce a report we then read the info we need from the file and do something with it , and then either store it in another file or output it somewhere , a printer for example. So data tends to get replicated all over the storage device in all kinds formats. Of course this is a nightmare to manage. Roll a few years and we have the development of DOS (Disk Operating system), MSDOS  which essentially is an attempt to manage the proliferation of files across a modern disk drive. Think how much pain we goes thru trying to get mmm say sharepoint to work. Personally I believe its unsolvable and will have to be scraped, but I'm not holding my breath! 

The problem with disk operating systems is that they are or were very slow. Certainly not fast enough to handle the millions of transactions per second that are needed. One way the computer industry responded to this was to mimize the use of the disk in the critical path of managing the information flow: 

1) Information comes in from a device (A bank ATM transaction)

2) The Tx is put in a queue in memory by en executing program

3) That program sends information to another running program

4) Response sent to customer

There is no disk i/o involved thus reducing response time. Any actual need to store the transaction is handle by another running program that is a low level resource which won’t interfere with response to customer. This new mind set is called “online Transaction processing” and almost completely does away with need for a file system. Messages flow back and forth between running programs and the storage is only needed as a kind of backup or audit log if something goes wrong!

Now is it such a stretch to imagine your mobile device like our phones or tablets operating the same way. Each App running on our phone simply sends messages to other apps and as long as we keep the apps open and running or easily restartable the info we input and process should always be available to each App and there is no need to have files visible at all , just an internal format perhaps,and then no need to  convert file format simply to get access to another apps information thus avoid that whole Pandora’s box of hurt by thinking like IBM programmers did 50 years ago? 

Ultimately we have to stop thinking about information as objects (files, things) and learn to view information as fluid and continually dynamic. 

So the next time we do something:

Stop!!!!! really think! Don't think "how do I save this" think "where or to whom do I want to send this"---- its not so much about the thing, the object or the data its about communication (transactions) of it.

This lusting after file system is really simply and old backwards way of thinking suited to the 20th century, its so primitive really and I hope people might appreciate this new way of thinking about data and it's flow. It about processes, communication not superficial objects and closed islands which is after all what a file is. C'mon expand your mind THINK! Don't just go back to what is safe there's no innovation there, of course its easier but theres no evolution there in that space.