Apple's iOS 8.0.1 update breaks cellular connectivity, Touch ID support for many users

Comments

• Reply 41 of 343

Can someone confirm the issue is only associated with OTA upgrades?  Would restoring via iTunes fix the cellular connections?   BTW,  the touch ID sensor still let you use "reachability" mode, but would not read your finger prints.

• Reply 42 of 343
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    ceek74 wrote: »
    Well, the tone of these comments is a complete 180 from the comments in the previous post. Breaking cellular connectivity, ouch! WTF Apple?

Despite what people think Apple users are not total defenders of Apple. Generally the attacks - maps, attennagate, bendy gate are unfair or experienced by few or none.

This is serious stuff.
  • Reply 43 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Can someone confirm the issue is only associated with OTA upgrades?  Would restoring via iTunes fix the cellular connections?   BTW,  the touch ID sensor still let you use "reachability" mode, but would not read your finger prints.

Seems to be specifically related to iPhone 6/+ who update OTA. 

People have been restoring to 8.0.1 without problems through iTunes. Sadly, since I'm stuck at work, I'm broken until this evening.

• Reply 44 of 343

If true, it is pretty ridiculous. 

• Reply 45 of 343
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Has the update been disabled from Apple yet? 

If no, then why the hell not?

Nobody should be allowed to go home from Apple HQ until this is fixed, and they should push out a new update as soon as possible, within a few hours.

• Reply 46 of 343
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    hhp wrote: »
    iPhone bends, iOS 8.0.1 debacle.... interesting to see who takes responsible..
    Jony?? He is responsible for SW and HW now...and also partly responsible for ousting Scott Forstall over maps.. N
    Or Tim is busy COOKin%u2019 for public apology again?

Craig Federighi is responsible for all software enginrering at Apple. Jony Ive is responsible for software UI. I doubt the software UI team is responsible for cellular service and Touch ID.
  • Reply 47 of 343
    There seems to be some serious issues with their testing procedures.
  • Reply 48 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HHP View Post

iPhone bends, iOS 8.0.1 debacle.... interesting to see who takes responsible..

Jony?? He is responsible for SW and HW now...and also partly responsible for ousting Scott Forstall over maps..

Or Tim is busy COOKin%u2019 for public apology again?

It's time for a new CEO - Mr Cook is an unmitigated disaster for Apple; just wait and see:

1 - Uncalled for distribution of dividends: Apple no longer a growth stock;

2 - Acquisition of Beats - cheapened brand, crappy headphones, ridiculous price for just another streaming service;

3 - Lack of proper torsion testing on the new iPhones, aka "bendgate";

4 - Bigger iPhones with protruding cameras and "smart" watches just because analysts tell Apple to launch them - we no longer innovate, we just follow:

5 - sloppy software releases just like 8.0.1, shutdown of high-end software suites; long delays in launching innovative Macs.

• Reply 49 of 343
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Seems to be specifically related to iPhone 6/+ who update OTA. 

No, hmurchison has a 5s.

• Reply 50 of 343

Actually this is a cluster ... 

I am an affected user. However, its not Tim's fault that someone did a code push and it failed massively. It happens. It will keep happening. At least Apple will fix it right away.

• Reply 51 of 343
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

1 - Uncalled for distribution of dividends

2 - Acquisition of Beats

3 - Lack of proper torsion testing on the new iPhones

4 - Bigger iPhones with protruding cameras

Oh, grow up.

• Reply 52 of 343

I have an iPhone 6.  Updated and now have both problems--no cell service, no TouchId

• Reply 53 of 343
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

I'm having this issue, too. iPhone 6, OTA update, AT&T.

• Reply 54 of 343

I have installed it on my 5c, T-mobile. No problem with connection/phone call. Of course, I can't have a problem with ID since it doesn't have this feature :smokey: 

• Reply 55 of 343
    Broke my iPhone 6. No cellular or fingerprint id.
  • Reply 56 of 343
    Restoring the phone fixes the issue. I also was prompted to download carrier settings. I then restored from my earlier backup today. I had to re add my fingerprints. Touch id is working.
  • Reply 57 of 343

I'm on an iPhone 6+ with AT&T. Now it makes me think there is an AT&T issue going on. 

• Reply 58 of 343

Some coder screwed up big time. They would have obviously tested functionality for every change made to the code, but someone probably fixed "one last thing" and didn't think it needed to be tested because the code change was so small.

I've seen this countless times over the years when developing software.

• Reply 59 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Another screw up by Tim Cook...

So many screw ups that Apple is worth 90% more than when Jobs was CEO.

STFU lawyer

Mobile Me, Antennagate, iMessagegate, 

That was all Steve Jobs. 

• Reply 60 of 343

OTA caused my phone to loose TouchID and get no cell signal

I've just done a full restore (without backing up first) using iTunes and it looks like it's working

I suspect the issue is something in the OTA that is broken/missing, as when my phone came back from OTA it had lost its name and reverted to be 'iPhone'