Apple's iOS 8.0.1 update breaks cellular connectivity, Touch ID support for many users

Comments

• Reply 121 of 343

Another non-issue is being trolled around. Remember antennagate? Now - bending, iOS upgrade, click, click...

• Reply 122 of 343

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Carrier connectivity issues are occurring across the board, affecting AppleInsiderreaders who use Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint.

I routinely see AT&T's "No Service" indicator both at work and at home.

Don't need the 8.0.1 update for that.

• Reply 123 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by heroinsmoker View Post

Yup, broke my iPhone 6. This is TERRIBLE and they better get this fixed asap. My business will suffer. The last time I ever upgrade iOS software for a long time.

You still live in your mama's basement. What kind of business are you running from there, ordering pizza?

• Reply 124 of 343
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

I have never bought anything remotely related to Android or Windows, and have converted more than 25 people to Apple over the last five years...so hopefully you are not talking about me.

I didn't mention any names, so I'm not sure why you are responding to my post.:)

I will merely say that they know who they are, and I will leave it at that.

• Reply 125 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell W View Post

The histrionics over this is amazing.  Yes, Apple f___ed up.  They've screwed up before, and they'll screw up again…

…All that said, I do feel for those who currently have a useless iPhone.  At least be assured that Apple should own up to this, and fix the problem as quickly as they can.

Spoken like someone who isn't effected by it. I have been an Apple user since 1987 and don't quite remember a screw up this bad. 

• Reply 126 of 343
    The antennas are ugly
    The lens protrudes, what were they thinking
    The iPhone screen is too small
    The iPhone screen is too big
    The iPhone is too thin
    The iPhone bends when I sit on it
    iOS 8 is buggy
    iOS 8 is laggy
    iOS 8.0.1 is buggy
    Did I miss anything?
    We are a bunch of entitled whiners about everything.
    Can we have a one day in our lives where it doesn't matter that our iPhone isn't perfect?

Edit:
    Sorry. Having a bad day and just needed to vent. If you're phone isn't working sorry. Hope it gets fixed soon.
  • Reply 127 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smaffei View Post

Easy for you to say. Obviously you don't have a iPhone 6 that got hammered.

Actually I do have an iPhone 6+ that got hammered.

• Reply 128 of 343
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    russell w wrote: »
    The histrionics over this is amazing.  Yes, Apple f___ed up.  They've screwed up before, and they'll screw up again.

I've owned Apple products for 29 years, and they've never been perfect.  Every Apple product that I've ever owned has been flawed in some way.  Why do I continue to buy Apple products?  Because they're less flawed than anything else out there.  I can actually get stuff done, almost all the time, with Apple products.  I already did the Android thing for several years.  Never again.

If anyone is looking to buy a perfect computing device from a perfect company, save your money.  No such product exists.  No such company exists.  You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

All that said, I do feel for those who currently have a useless iPhone.  At least be assured that Apple should own up to this, and fix the problem as quickly as they can.
    Honestly Apple has probably done more with iOS in the last 2 years than in all years prior (with the exception of the App Store). I think they need to slow down a bit and polish what they have.
  • Reply 129 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anthony Mutti View Post

The issue can easily be resolved by re-updating the affected phone with the complete image, not an over-the air update. 

You can just re-apply the update using iTunes.

Download the firmware:

6+ http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS8/031-07519.20140924.FTHpb/iPhone7,1_8.0.1_12A402_Restore.ipsw

6 http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS8/031-07540.20140924.b41vK/iPhone7,2_8.0.1_12A402_Restore.ipsw

Then connect your phone to iTunes, Command-click the update button (not sure what key on windows) and choose the downloaded file.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noicc1138 View Post

It's option click.  

Thanks.

If these links don't work since Apple pulled the update, you can do the same thing with the original 8.0 firmwares . . .  

6+ http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS8/031-05555.20140917.YWW0v/iPhone7,1_8.0_12A366_Restore.ipsw

6  http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS8/031-05647.20140917.b0n9s/iPhone7,2_8.0_12A365_Restore.ipsw

BTW, note that I'm not restoring, I'm updating.  Updating should keep all your settings, apps, etc. without restoring from your  back-up (much quicker).  You should probably back up your phone first before updating it.

• Reply 130 of 343
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Stock prices were also at their highest during the early 90s with Sculley

Hmm. Could you please point to the spot on this chart where the stock price is highest? Could you please point to the spot where Sculley was in charge?

Notice the huge gap in dividends.

• Reply 131 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I didn't mention any names, so I'm not sure why you are responding to my post.:)

I will merely say that they know who they are, and I will leave it at that.

Its a guilty conscience. No worries Apple. 

• Reply 132 of 343
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

So, how does one downgrade?

Restore from backup will back you out of the upgrade.

• Reply 133 of 343
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

Another non-issue is being trolled around. Remember antennagate? Now - bending, iOS upgrade, click, click...

An OS update that kills cell connectivity and messes up Touch ID is not a non-issue, which is why Apple have pulled the update.

This will soon be fixed, and everything will be fine again, but it's incorrect to call it a non-issue. Somebody at Apple messed up big time. These sorts of things should simply not ever happen.

• Reply 134 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

You probably think 9/11 was a plot by the US Government and that The Holocaust wasn't real…

Face it, Apple F'ed up big time.

• Reply 135 of 343
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    People are acting like this is the first time an update was messed up.

It happens all the time.
    Updates that f-k people's cell service do not happen all the time. I've never updated my iPhone and lost cell service afterwards.
  • Reply 136 of 343
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

8.0.1 killed my 6 Plus (searching... for network and Touch ID doesn't respond).

GRRRRR!!!!

• Reply 137 of 343

Does anyone have the 8.01 firmware for the Verizon iPhone 6 Plus? This firmware doesn't appear to work for it.

• Reply 138 of 343
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It was also reported on CNBC. Apparently some of the anchors and floor traders updated their phone and lost their cell service on air. This is about as bad as it gets PR wise.

Not to let Apple off the hook here, but that is pretty stupid on the part of those people.  If your phone is critical to your work why would you update it in the middle of the work day?  I would hope a surgeon wouldn't update his surgical robot's firmware minutes before opening up the patient.  

• Reply 139 of 343
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    So anybody here having a real bad day?

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/49512/width/400/height/800[/IMG]

No. I didn't think so.
  • Reply 140 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

GTFO you liar.

During the 90's Apple stock was less than $1 a share adjusted for splits.

Apple is worth 100x more now than in the 90's.

And don't give me your BS just because you are as old as Dirt.  I'll call anyone out for saying stupid crap no matter how old they are.

Read Apple's stock price history and get back here when you are finished with your homework. Sculley's early-to-mid years were among the most prosperous stock-wise - which meant absolutely SHIT in terms of innovation and the way forward for the company.

Otherwise, just STFU and learn to respect other people's opinions before spitting out nonsense.