Apple expected to hold iPad & Retina iMac event on Oct. 16

Comments

• Reply 21 of 184
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,044member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

The issue with TouchID is the Secure Enclave.    

For any 'desktop' it doesn't make sense (the useful spot is on the kb or the trackpad... but from a security delegation setup that would be a pain.

Two people quickly observed what I forgot, which is the secure enclave.  I suppose they could use an ARM coprocessor or they'd have to implement it another way.  Continuity is a great idea for payments but I don't know if it would address authenticating to the computer in the first place.  In any case, I think you successfully quashed my idea for a touch id on the desktop.

By the way, I would have put it on the Magic Trackpad for the desktops.  Yes, there would be a problem securing the path between the trackpad and the computer.

• Reply 22 of 184
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Better perform better than a MBA!!!!

the funny thing is I will need a MBA too.  I plan on using it for 30 minutes in my 50 min commute train ride.

• Reply 23 of 184
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    Gimme a new Apple TV box or they are doomed! /s

Seriously I want a new Apple TV box.
  • Reply 24 of 184
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mj web wrote: »
    FOR SALE
    iMac 11,1 (2009)
    2.8 GHz i7
    20 GB RAM
    1 TB

Almost forgot: Steve Jobs personally supervised this iMac order. RIP Steve!
    http://www.cultofmac.com/39727/apple-ceo-calls-imac-buyer-to-apologize-for-lemon/39727/

That'll be Antiques Roadshow material in about 20 years. :lol:
  • Reply 25 of 184
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    canukstorm wrote: »

The iPad mini may suffer, but not so much the iPad Air.
    I think it could if Apple keeps the best technology for the iPhone. I would love to see iPads with displays as good as the 6/6 Plus.
  • Reply 26 of 184
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

"The event is reportedly expected to be a "more laid-back affair" than the unveiling of the iPhone 6iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch that took place in September."

Perhaps most importantly, Apple is adopting a more reliable way to "stream" the presentation

to its avid and loyal followers...

This time, Tim Cook will whisper each revelation to the person in the front row stage right,

who will proceed to whisper it to the person next to them, and so on and so on...

It's thought that it may take a while to reach you at home or at work, but Apple is confident that,

this time, you are fairly unlikely to hear it in Chinese...

• Reply 27 of 184
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

I'm hoping also for an updated Apple TV, I've been holding off on buying a second one pending some kind of meaningful update.

Also I hope this event is really promising, so that all the traders who are shorting AAPL learn a lesson about betting against the cream to rise.

EDITed to add this: Also, I really wish they would announce products that the user can upgrade -- upgrade your RAM, upgrade your hard drive, replace your iPad's battery -- but my guess is that with each new generation of Apple products, the user will have even fewer possibilities to alter the device physically in any way.

• Reply 28 of 184
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Look forward to it.  I expect very very little.  Touch ID, A8, Gold iPads, Retina iMac, and Mac Mini.   I don't anticipate a much needed update to Apple TV, so at least my expectations are set.

This is probably the best Apple-related news of the last six months; enough with underwhelming, me-too phone announcements.

I want new iMacs - so bring them on so I can pay whatever price they ask for them, as long as three basic elements are presented:

- top-of-the-line display;

- sufficiently powerful GPU options; and

- minimum of 16GB RAM plus higher capacity 840pro-like SSDs.

• Reply 29 of 184
    Hoping for a new monitor also, for those of us that have retina macbook pro's.
  • Reply 30 of 184
    Will it bend though?
  • Reply 31 of 184
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by williamh View Post

No rumors to this effect, but I think it's time they added Touch ID to all Macs as well. That is the feature I am hoping for. We wouldn't use Apple Pay but we could use it to authenticate to the computer, to access keychain, websites, etc.

Touch ID in a Macs? LOL. All Macs come with full OS with login credentials which makes more sense than fingerprint scanning. TouchID is better for touch based devices since entering credentials from virtual keyboard on these devices is not the best implementation. For Macs, TouchID doesn't add much benefit, but more like gimmick.

• Reply 32 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

"The event is reportedly expected to be a "more laid-back affair" than the unveiling of the iPhone 6iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch that took place in September."

Perhaps most importantly, Apple is adopting a more reliable way to "stream" the presentation

to its avid and loyal followers...

This time, Tim Cook will whisper each revelation to the person in the front row stage right,

who will proceed to whisper it to the person next to them, and so on and so on...

It's thought that it may take a while to reach you at home or at work, but Apple is confident that,

this time, you are fairly unlikely to hear it in Chinese...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

I'm hoping also for an updated Apple TV, I've been holding off on buying a second one pending some kind of meaningful update.

Also I hope this event is really promising, so that all the traders who are shorting AAPL learn a lesson about betting against the cream to rise.

EDITed to add this: Also, I really wish they would announce products that the user can upgrade -- upgrade your RAM, upgrade your hard drive, replace your iPad's battery -- but my guess is that with each new generation of Apple products, the user will have even fewer possibilities to alter the device physically in any way.

Apple TV is long overdue. It's better this time because the whole event is just iPad (Air and Mini with TouchID and gold color: expected)?, Mac Mini (not so excited either), some refresh on Macs? Maybe...Hopefully, Tim Cooks will do another "one more thing" for a device that they've been working on and no one speculated yet as he mentioned in the interview last month.

• Reply 33 of 184
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Looking forward to a retina iMac. Here's hoping Apple improves the speakers and the fingerprint/streaking issue of the current display.
  • Reply 34 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Gimme a new Apple TV box or they are doomed! /s

Seriously I want a new Apple TV box.

with full iOS and 4K support for games. That's what it lacks. Let's see 16GB version to start at $99 and 64GB at $199. With new method in iOS 8 for screen resolution scalability seen on iPhone 5, 6 and 6+, Apple  is so ready to bring game apps into Apple TV.

• Reply 35 of 184

Me-too?  Back under your bridge, Mr Troll.  People complained incessantly that Apple MUST make bigger screened phones.  So eventually they did.  Now people complain incessantly that they did.  This is why people suck.

Also, I really want the Retina iMac to be a thing.

• Reply 36 of 184
    wiselywisely Posts: 94member
    I will be happy to upgrade my IPAD Air just for the sake of Touch ID, it is that important and good to me. But....hopefully there will be more than just A8 and Touch ID.....like maybe the same LED quality screen like the iphone 6 plus in terms of contrast, dual domain, colour accuracy and ....
  • Reply 37 of 184
    Not suggesting there is a chance for any of this but here is my wish list:
    1. 5K iMac
    2. 5K 27" Monitor
    3. New Apple TV
    4. iPad Pro 12"
    5. I liked the idea of using the touch id on all Mac models...
    6. MacPro Update

I would also like to see 4k movies on iTunes
  • Reply 38 of 184
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    512ke wrote: »

Yup because the vast majority of consumers don't do these actions.
  • Reply 39 of 184
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

1. 5K iMac

I would also like to see 4k movies on iTunes

The latter won’t happen unless the former has H.265 support.

IT BETTER HAVE H.265 SUPPORT.

I’d also love for it to have an nVidia 9xx series chip so that I can get a 970 for my Mac Pro.

• Reply 40 of 184
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'm looking forward to this event!

I'll be upgrading my iPad! I think that the addition of Touch ID on iPads is huge! People are more interested in security than ever (with breaches and attacks happening all over the place), and the average person doesn't bother using complicated passwords. The ability to make purchases online with merely your thumb will be huge!

I also would like to see new Mac Minis at the event!

Bring it on!