Facebook says 66% of Android phones it sees have iPhone 4 era specs from 2011 (or worse)

Comments

• Reply 141 of 169
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Um, Bush isn't President anymore.

OH, wait, you were talking about Obama. The more things change huh.

Nice to see you're also intellectually dishonest when it comes to this stuff. 

What did Bush have on the level of, let's say, being accused of being a terrorist/Muslim for years? Or having birth certificate being questioned for years- by senior, influential party officials no less? There's no damn equivalency there. Don't fucking tell me you believe there is. bush got rightfully attacked for his policies and the things he DID (ie. start wars). That's not the same as Obama being attacked for fictional, fear-mongering horse-shit like being accused of being a Muslim or faking his birth certificate. Stuff that obvious came from a place of bigotry and racism, and continues to this day. But yeah, just pretend its exactly the same. 

• Reply 142 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

No rage here and I read just fine. You said "because the most inane stupid comments on anyone's feed come from under-educated conservatives".  Maybe you need to read what you said.  I stand by my first post. There are stupid comments from both sides.

So, are you still standing by your post and your reading comprehension, given the below? vvvvv

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Ok, so if I wrote "because the most inane stupid comments on anyone's feed come from redheaded conservatives," would I be saying that all conservatives are redheads?

• Reply 143 of 169
    What on earth is going on here?
  • Reply 144 of 169
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Nice to see you're also intellectually dishonest when it comes to this stuff. 

What did Bush have on the level of, let's say, being accused of being a terrorist/Muslim for years? Or having birth certificate being questioned for years- by senior, influential party officials no less? There's no damn equivalency there. Don't fucking tell me you believe there is. bush got rightfully attacked for his policies and the things he DID (ie. start wars). That's not the same as Obama being attacked for fictional, fear-mongering horse-shit like being accused of being a Muslim or faking his birth certificate. Stuff that obvious came from a place of bigotry and racism, and continues to this day. But yeah, just pretend its exactly the same. 

Nothing you mentioned was the reason why [@]Gatorguy[/@] made that comment.
  • Reply 145 of 169

I'm sure in the global scheme of things, very few Android flagship models are being sold and I'll bet most of those consumers are going to hold on to their older Android smartphones as long as they can.  I really can't blame them.  Smartphones don't become obsolete in two years.  They'll still run simple apps and make phone calls.  How many consumers out there actually need some highly-spec'ed smartphone?  I'm sure there would be very few.  I'm somewhat curious to see what the benchmarks are of these low-priced Android One smartphones.  I'm sure they're far from being flagship powerhouses.  I don't doubt that there are some powerful Android smartphones being sold but the percentages would likely be in the single digits on a global basis.  Low- and mid-tier Android smartphones are what make up the majority of Android market share and if they're anything like those cheap Android tablets, lawd help those users.  Why Wall Street would be betting its money on Android makes no sense at all except from the market share aspect.  It's such a weak platform that can almost never be updated with so many companies, models and variations in use.  I think of Android as a huge army but no supply chain can ever reach them to keep things running smoothly.  Too many hungry and tired stragglers who'd just as soon quit than fight.

• Reply 146 of 169
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Nothing you mentioned was the reason why @Gatorguy made that comment.

Maybe you can explain his comment.

• Reply 147 of 169
    splif wrote: »
    Maybe you can explain his comment.

He commented on what you posted, not the laundry list [@]Slurpy[/@] did.
  • Reply 148 of 169
    Quote:

He commented on what you posted, not the laundry list @Slurpy did.

The laundry list was implied & I think you know that. I just didn't get too specific I used a metaphor. Please feel free to explain how what he said has nothing to do with what Slurpy stated.

• Reply 149 of 169

I hope that in the end, consumer win by having best from fb.

http://gossip.pk

• Reply 150 of 169

The laundry list was implied & I think you know that. I just didn't get too specific I used a metaphor. Please feel free to explain how what he said has nothing to do with what Slurpy stated.

Slurpy chose things that were specific to Obama. You wrote:
    .....not accomplish a damn thing for the people of this country. Constantly pound the drums of paranoia....
    Which can be said about Bush as well.
  • Reply 151 of 169
    Quote:

Slurpy chose things that were specific to Obama. You wrote:

Which can be said about Bush as well.

It is pretty clear what Gatoguy said. Slurpy said things that were specific to the conversation.

• Reply 152 of 169
    It is pretty clear what Gatoguy said. Slurpy said things that were specific to the conversation.

But what Gatorguy said had nothing to do with what Slurpy added after the fact.
  • Reply 153 of 169

Okay? Not sure what you are talking about.

Gatoguys post:

You must have been asleep the last two years of the Bush presidency when the Dems paralyzed the government while belittling the Chief Exec at every opportunity. As you can see little has changed and there are no clean hands. One side is as bad as the other.

• Reply 154 of 169
    What it proves is that Android phones are good enough to not need upgrading every year or less as well as the users being educated in the smartphone market and in turn not getting suckered in by marketing and been told to upgrade. They are not waiting in huge lines every time a new phone comes out.
  • Reply 155 of 169
    What it proves is that Android phones are good enough to not need upgrading every year or less ...

The article demonstrates the antithesis of your statement.

... as well as the users being educated in the smartphone market and in turn not getting suckered in by marketing ...

The article neither supports nor refutes such a claim.

... and been told to upgrade. They are not waiting in huge lines every time a new phone comes out.

One Android OEM does tell users "to upgrade," moreso than all their competitors combined.

They are not waiting in huge lines every time a new phone comes out.

Few people value cheap products especially when such products are free even when such products "sell" at a rate much greater than premium, market-defining products.
  • Reply 156 of 169
    Okay? Not sure what you are talking about.
    Gatoguys post:
    You must have been asleep the last two years of the Bush presidency when the Dems paralyzed the government while belittling the Chief Exec at every opportunity. As you can see little has changed and there are no clean hands. One side is as bad as the other.

Now I see the misunderstanding. I was referring to this one. I really didn't see the others. Apologies
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Um, Bush isn't President anymore.

OH, wait, you were talking about Obama. The more things change huh.
  • Reply 157 of 169

The majority of Android is low end crap, made for low end people. The phones are barely used as smartphones and they are mostly used by non technical, clueless people and ignoramuses who have been fooled by paper specs and fake benchmarks! These people are fools!

That's very condescending of you. Not everyone requires a new $1000 phone every year and if the $200 phone does what they need it doesn't make them low end people. I'm ashamed to think of you has a fellow human being with your attitude. Unfortunately I'm not gifted and blessed and need to look up to you as you're one of the lucky few to own a premium phone, premium car (do you own a supercar or one of the best luxury models?), live in a mansion, gated community or exclusive property on the beach as well as other standard items such as personal plane, holiday house, etc. You're a better person than me.
  • Reply 158 of 169
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

A dam materialist that is all he is!

• Reply 159 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

...who are still able to use Facebook.

The worst of the worst Android phones will still run Tasker, which trumps just about any argument for my use.

I bet cheap slow phones will run Tasker as slow as they run any other app...

Apart from that, let me comment on some "features" which are listed on that horribly designed official website:

- passcode-lock sensitive applications (e.g. for child safety) -> iOS 8, TouchID

- change phone settings by

- application: long screen timeout in a book reader -> iOS Apps that need it have it (Videos, eBooks, API, ...)

- time: screen brightness lower in the evening -> Auto Brightness

- location: ringer volume high at the office, turn off keyguard at home -> OKAY

- wake up with a random song from your music collection -> there are apps for that

- Text-to-speech; read out loud: incoming SMS/ phone number, WiFi/Bluetooth status, when it's time for an appointment, when the battery is low etc etc (Android OS 1.6+ only) -> Siri, VoiceOver

- launch a music application when your music SD card is inserted, otherwise a file browser -> OKAY

- start the day with a particular application showing -> USE CASE?

- change all your home icons and wallpaper every day, or in particular locations -> USE CASE?

- turn the phone upside down to return to the home screen, tilt 90 degrees to the left and back to toggle speakerphone during a call -> USE CASE?

- create a Home widget to

- toggle bluetooth/wifi on/off -> Control Center

- launch wireless settings dialog -> Control Center

- show a menu of tasks to choose -> OKAY

- send an emergency SMS with your GPS location -> there are apps for that

- remap camera etc buttons to other applications, or show a menu of applications and/or actions -> OKAY

- zip/unzip application data on the fly when an application is launched/exits -> USE CASE?

- pause music playback while in a particular application, restart on exit -> USE CASE?

- change the Home icon for any application -> OKAY

- take a time-lapse photo series (possibly 'secretly') -> iOS camera app

- make a regular backup of a file on the SD card -> iCloud backup

- track your phone location via SMS in case of theft -> Find My iPhone

- extend the use of the media button on your headset: take a picture from a distance or go to the previous media track with a long press -> OKAY

- record call times and destinations to the SD card -> OKAY

- show a popup when an SMS arrives from a particular phone number -> iOS Contact Favorites

- setup a birthday SMS to be sent months before it happens so you don't forget -> Reminders with push notification

- record battery levels over time to a file on SD card -> iOS Battery Usage

- make automatic recordings of what you say during phone calls to SD card -> OKAY

- during the night, turn on airplane mode to conserve battery/reduce radiation, but turn it off every 15 minutes to check for SMS/voicemail. -> micromanagement, lol. We have Do Not Disturb

- setup a vacation SMS message, with different messages for different callers -> OKAY

- launch a music application when headphones are connected -> OKAY

My point is: Android customizability is just a fanboy thing. It is overly complicated and only useful for a few people who like to tinker with their devices.

iOS mostly provides simpler, more powerful and more stable solutions to these problems.

• Reply 160 of 169

Basically, this report just confirms what most of us all knew.... that the majority of Android users, use mobile phones that are not running, nor can run the latest OS as well as being technically out of date.

We have been seeing Android market share going up dramatically over the last few years to overtake iOS market share, but we all knew this was down to a huge number of out-of-date, lower specced phones.

Yes, I agree that most of these phones won't actually be 3 years old, but will in fact be quite new (ie within the last 1-2 years), but will be the cheaper phones with what Facebook class as 2011 tech.