Apple to show 'the future of iOS and OS X' at WWDC June 8-12

Comments

• Reply 61 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Logo looks like an Apple TV.

Not sure what the circles are for.  A round watch?  lol.

Circles are for OS X apps (like Safari, Photos, iTunes, etc.)... and now the Apple Watch apps, too. The rounded squares represent iOS apps.

• Reply 62 of 167
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

My wish list:

OSX

Rewrite the Mail app from the bottom up. Make it as stable as the iOS version.

Less white. Winter is over. Let's add back some gray and color. Pro apps look awesome. iTunes looks pallid and uninspired. The new Photos app just looks terrible compared to iPhoto.

Sidebars are incredibly useful on huge monitors that are wider than they are tall. Bring them back.

I still prefer the old "Save As..." method of document management. The new way is clumsy and not intuitive.

I also preferred more complex toolbars than the stark layout of today. In Pages, how about the center/right justification/left justification making a comeback? I'd also like access to my fonts, right up there.

3D shading. It'd be nice if buttons had a little more depth.

I think we've taken this "less is more" concept about as far as we dare. People who actually USE iTunes and Photos would never have allowed them to be released as they were. When Steve Jobs introduced Events in iPhotos, that was an amazing organizational improvement. Now we're back to thousands of pictures splattered all over. Did I mention there's too much white space? Check out the App Store. Why is the font so small...and why is it light gray on a white background?

iOS

Make sure Syncing works across all the Apps it's supposed to. Buy Dropbox if you have to and figure out how they do it.

Rewrite the Podcast app from the ground up. Make the controls and fonts larger. Pretend you use the app in the car and think of ways to Pause/Play without taking eyes off the road.

On the Phone: There must be a way to filter out road noise while using the phone in a car. Or wind noise when outside.

Get real with iCloud storage space. Free allotments should at least equal the storage space on an iOS device.

Figure out something else for Apple TV channels other than having a code appear on-screen that I have to memorize, jump off the couch, fire up the iMac, open Safari to the listed address, and enter the code. I hate to say this, but whoever suggested this would have been immediately fired by Steve Jobs. I don't even bother with channels that force me to do this repeatedly.

Apply the same consumer friendly effort to getting apps like Messages to work across all my devices. Whey am I entering codes all over the place? Let the devices communicate and perform the handshake - I'm fine with tapping an OK button. Same with double-authentication. It's clumsy. There must be a better way.

It'd be nice to have arrow key like navigation on the iOS keyboard.

• Reply 63 of 167
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,335moderator
    sog35 wrote: »

I'd say the squares represent the general watch style and the round ones the icons. They are laid out on a clock arrangement too. The WWDC site mentions Swift and Watch development.

http://www.slashgear.com/for-scholarship-students-at-wwdc-swift-is-mandatory-14378923/

There isn't a native Watch SDK yet so that'll probably be shown off.

Epicenter could refer to earthquakes but as in the San Andreas Fault being a landmark like Yosemite. As mentioned earlier in the thread, it could refer to OS X 10.11 San Andreas.

But wait, the graphic has 4 circles. Cars have 4 wheels. The squares could be sensors and the inner circles beams emitted from them. Self-driving car/van. If there's nothing car-related beyond CarPlay, all that effort and van-chasing done by the rumor mill will have been for nothing.
  • Reply 64 of 167
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Surely the keychain issue is a bug, the searching is a result of a unified toolbar ( and therefore UX) the the rest is down to bad teenagers.

She'd be using key words in the Google bar if not unified, had no clue about URLs
    Keychain was every time she guessed she added the guess.
    Hasn't told them to leave home.

I go with moron. :D
  • Reply 65 of 167
    idrey wrote: »
    I smell a new ? TV with round icons. Can you smell what the ? is cooking?

That get bigger as your finger gets near like the Dock magnification ...
  • Reply 66 of 167
    slurpy wrote: »
    Jesus, Apple has been busy. Blows my mind, the stunning stupidity of those that imply they've been "coasting" or "lazy". I don't remember a time of such constant, relentless change in all aspects of the company and to so many product lines, both software and hardware.

I agree, my brain hurts just keeping up. :smokey:
  • Reply 67 of 167
    Mac OS X San Andreas! :D  

Nooo ... that would be somebody's fault! :D
  • Reply 68 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Get real with iCloud storage space. Free allotments should at least equal the storage space on an iOS device.

Seems like overkill... iTunes-purchased music, apps, contacts, notes, etc., don't actually require any space in the cloud. So you really only need space for your photos and app data. 

Instead of making it match the size of the device, I'd be happy with getting the free 5GB for *each* device I purchase and connect to my iCloud account. I mean, if I had an iPad, an iPhone, and a Mac, I should get 15GB of storage. After all, I could make a free iCloud account with each of those devices and get 5GB for each of those accounts. Instead, I sign-in to the same iCloud account on each device and the iOS devices have to share the space for backups (and the Mac's photos get added to the iCloud Photo Library), so suddenly, I feel like I'm being punished for having multiple devices.

• Reply 69 of 167
    prokip wrote: »
    Why does it have to cost so much?
    If you believe it's too expensive don't even think about WWDC Edition.
  • Reply 70 of 167

We are beginning to see the lines blur between iOS and OS X.

Since March 09 2015, with Xcode, we have been able to construct a single app package that targets Macs, iPhones, iPads, Apple Watch and iCloud.

[QUOTE]Lister is a document based productivity app for iOS 8, OS X 10.10, and Apple Watch. It demonstrates Apple Watch integration; using iCloud to share content between multiple app targets and platforms; [B][I] using App Groups to [COLOR=blue]share local content between apps and extensions on a single device;[/COLOR] creating App Extensions to provide Today Widgets and Watch Apps; and [COLOR=blue]defining a framework to share common code between multiple targets.[/COLOR] [/I][/B] The Lister sample app is provided in both Swift and Objective-C.
    [/QUOTE]

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/samplecode/Lister/Introduction/Intro.html

I suspect, that most all of the underlying Xcode frameworks have been rethought, modernized and reimplemented in Swift.

I'd bet we'll see a further blurring of the lines between platforms with common Playgrounds, Storyboards and shared frameworks.

The WWDC Logo is eerily reminiscent of an IBM Logo from the past"

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/57907/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/57904/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Sorry this is the best Logo I could find ... It is the Compass Rose of the IBM System/360.

Before the 360, IBM had many disparate computer architectures (binary, decimal, octal, table-lookup, etc.) -- each with several versions of its own operating system and development/programming constructs.

The 360 consolidated all these into a single architecture (several models) and single development/programming construct (tho, several OS versions).

I wonder if Apple is trying to tell us something ...

Or, it could just be an Ojo de Dios:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/57908/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Finally, I suspect Apple will open source the Swift language and the underlying Foundation framework.

Boom!
  • Reply 71 of 167
    comtncomtn Posts: 3member
    Wow, what a terrible title.

I just googled the definition of 'epicenter'.

First definition following the point of the earth above an earthquake's origin is:

"the central point of something, typically a difficult or unpleasant situation."

That is terrible. Why choose epicenter over center. All I can think is somebody was thinking about the disruptive nature of apple products. But it is still a poor word choice with negative connotations.
  • Reply 72 of 167
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,001member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The logo also looks like a watch.    Square with rounded edges.  The the radius is not right now that I go check.   So you are probably correct on Apple TV.

• Reply 73 of 167
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Why does that make more sense? The icons will still be differentiated in ther actual design, they don't have to have a multitude of shapes. Thats always been my gripe with the dock- looks so messy. Different sizes, styles, perspectives, etc. I've love if they unified the shape like iOS. Makes it easier for the brain to process, not more difficult. Of course there will be bitching and whining, but I think its a good step to take in order to unify the apps to users coming from iOS. 

Just my opinion. I prefer a distinct visual representation of the program I'm looking for instead of just the name. Otherwise, wouldn't it just make more sense to go back to a drop down/pop-up menu of names a la Xmenu? It would certainly be faster to choose.
  • Reply 74 of 167
    gtr wrote: »
    Interesting. I instantly disliked it. Should be more succinct and positive, IMO.

How about: "Let's change the world" or "Better get ready" instead?

"Bozos Beware" would have been succinct but sometimes honesty is not the best approach...

• Reply 75 of 167
    ifij775 wrote: »
    1000 engineers doesn't come cheap.

Send 10 of your top engineers, have them each teach ten others, then have those hundred people each teach another ten. Boom. Done.
  • Reply 76 of 167
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    proline wrote: »

What's so funny? Keeping out those who have no sincere desire to develop for Apple products but just want to see the keynote is exactly why it costs $1600.

I'm guessing the use of the word riffraff was what was amusing, and not the idea of keeping them out. Btw there's plenty of riffraff that can easily afford the $1600 price tag.
  • Reply 77 of 167
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Send 10 of your top engineers, have them each teach ten others, then have those hundred people each teach another ten. Boom. Done.

The problem with that is not everyone can teach what they know.
  • Reply 78 of 167
    sog35 wrote: »

I think it refers to the icon shapes for iOS/OSX apps and Watch apps. The former are rounded rectangles, the latter are circles. WWDC is about writing apps, is it not?
    chadbag wrote: »

The logo also looks like a watch.    Square with rounded edges.

Mac_128 will consider them fightin' words! :)
    No but seriously, see what I wrote above. I think they are outlines of app icons.
  • Reply 79 of 167
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,001member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I think the original 1000 engineers statement was that Apple will have 1000 of their engineers on site at WWDC to help out and that does not come cheap, to have 1000 of your best engineers not doing their actual real work.

• Reply 80 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

The icon looks like a Mandelbrot set: no matter which device you are using, it's always the same and familiar. Nice choice.

I agree with @gruber @daringfireball:  It seems to indicate an AppleTV in the center  of an architecture to denote broadcasting from the 'epicenter.'