Apple's Schiller talks iPhone storage, thin design tradeoffs, single-port MacBook and more

12357

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    tmay wrote: »
    BTW, HTC's stock is getting hammered.

    That's what happens when last year's phone is better than this year's.
  • Reply 82 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    portcity wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Why is it the most popular? Because people want it or because it's the one Apple produces most?

    The 16 GB is the most popular because it is the cheapest model and it offers the same functionality as the other models. I have that model and it's great and works for many people. The problem with the interview isn't the device itself. The problem is that Schiller made it seem as if the items that take up the most space can just be stored in iCloud. This isn't totally true because besides Photos, Apps take up most of the devices storage and they cannot be stored in iCloud.

    You didn't answer the question. Are people buying it because it's cheap or because it was the one available? I was shopping for a iPad this past Christmas and the only ones available were the 16 GB ones. I'm sure they were purchased but only because the other models weren't available.
  • Reply 83 of 122
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    "If you want a product that's thicker with a bigger battery it's also heavier, more costly, takes longer to charge," Schiller said. "We model every thickness, every size, every weight and try to figure out what the tradeoffs are. I think we've made great choices there."

    Here's the thing: Next time process improvements let you make a thinner iPhone... don't. Keep it the same size and weight as it is right now. Doesn't need to be thicker, just the same.
  • Reply 84 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    The lower cost version of any product always has limitations. It always amazes me when people buy on price and then have buyer's regret.

    What if people are buying on availability instead of price? If Apple is purposely making many more 16 GB models than the higher ones they're going to be purchased. If you're selling 100 cups of water in the desert and have 90-4 oz cups, 5-8 oz cups, and 5-16 oz cups, guess which is going to be the most popular.
  • Reply 85 of 122
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I wish Gruber would have asked him about RAM in iOS devices. To me Apple should be embarrassed that they're still shipping flagship products with 1GB RAM.

    gosh, what is my 6 failing at so poorly that apple should be embarrassed about it?? should i be concerned?
  • Reply 86 of 122
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,922member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    What if people are buying on availability instead of price? If Apple is purposely making many more 16 GB models than the higher ones they're going to be purchased. If you're selling 100 cups of water in the desert and have 90-4 oz cups, 5-8 oz cups, and 5-16 oz cups, guess which is going to be the most popular.

    Bad analogy. You need water in the desert. You don't need an iPhone. Even if you do, you buy the one you want and not settle.
  • Reply 87 of 122
    rufworkrufwork Posts: 130member
    [QUOTE]"In response, Schiller said a 16GB offering helps offset the cost of improving overall handset technology, such as better cameras."[/QUOTE]

    What a bunch of hooey. I hope Gruber followed up. There's no cheaper way to make everyone's experience across the board better. How much can you save per phone by not using 32? 64? I bet it's dollars (as in not tens of dollars... < $20). It's like putting your BMW on Wynstar tires.

    I should know. I used a 16 gig iPhone 5S for a year then upgraded to 32. It's night and day. Before, I had to strain to find space, and now it's tight, but purely discretionary. I realize I don't represent everyone, but let's go for 64 and I bet we finally feel like we've got a high-end phone. Break down how much space the "average" user would use for apps, music, mail, etc plus OS and upgrade space after six months of use. Almost everyone who uses their phone and whose word of mouth is worth having is getting close to 16.

    Of course what he really means is that the hundreds of folks spend for the larger capacities is bankrolling this other stuff. We're paying $100 for a $6 piece of flash memory. Insane margins.

    Folks that complain that millions use 16 and that it's your choice miss the point. If you want to be an aspirational, premium item, you need to remove the rough edges. Apple does that pretty much everywhere but here, with memory. That's why Gruber's complained about it for years on the podcast, and is bringing it up here.

    Take a "risk", Phil. Quit being a cheapskate on a premium item.
  • Reply 88 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    What if people are buying on availability instead of price? If Apple is purposely making many more 16 GB models than the higher ones they're going to be purchased. If you're selling 100 cups of water in the desert and have 90-4 oz cups, 5-8 oz cups, and 5-16 oz cups, guess which is going to be the most popular.

    what kind of crazy ass example is that?  Comparing buying water in a desert to buying an iPad?

    Seriously.  If no 64/128 are available just a wait a few days.  Again NO ONE is forcing ANYONE to buy a 16GB.

    And do you seriously think Apple would intentionally over produced 16GB models to sell more of them?  Use YOUR BRAIN!!!! Apple makes the least amount of revenue/gross profit/net profit selling the 16GB.  So why the HELL would they make the other models unavailable on purpose!

    IN your dream world Apple wants to convience people to buy the 16GB instead of the 64/128GB.  Even though they will make less profits and lead to less App/Music sales.  I want what you are smoking.
    The lower cost version of any product always has limitations. It always amazes me when people buy on price and then have buyer's regret.

    There would be a surplus of the higher models if people were only buying the 16 GB because they wanted to. The only model I've seen in surplus is the 16 GB model which means they're obviously making more of them. I don't have to use my brain to realize the obvious.
  • Reply 89 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    What if people are buying on availability instead of price? If Apple is purposely making many more 16 GB models than the higher ones they're going to be purchased. If you're selling 100 cups of water in the desert and have 90-4 oz cups, 5-8 oz cups, and 5-16 oz cups, guess which is going to be the most popular.

    Bad analogy. You need water in the desert. You don't need an iPhone. Even if you do, you buy the one you want and not settle.

    Plenty of people 'settle'.
  • Reply 90 of 122
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    One USB port, no purchase. That is a deal breaker. I have learned the lesson well with the older single-port MacBook Air. And that even had a separate power port.
  • Reply 91 of 122
    The strength of Apple is not innovation but copy and improvement. Apple does not invent the mp3, smart phone, eReader and smart watch, the company just copy the market's existing products made the improvements and re-package with fashion design thru the marketing power to sell to public. The new MacBook represent what the company how to do the business.
  • Reply 92 of 122
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,280member
    sog35 wrote: »
    So you think Apple wants to sell more 16 GB models than 64 GB? Are you on drugs?

    When the stock of iPhones come in to any one of the stores there are always at least double if not triple 16GB over the 64/128. So yes, more 16GB iPhones are being sold. The reason. People want to spend next to no money on the iPhone. They come in and say "I'm here for my free upgrade to the iPhone". Always complaining about how expensive it is. So they get whatever is the cheapest option. When the iPhone 6 has a deal like it's $100 off people come in droves for the 16GB option.
    sog35 wrote: »
    Yet they can dish out $150 each month on phone service?

    If someone can't find $99 down they have no business buying a $650 phone.

    If they can't find $99 in their budget are they saving for retirement?  For an emergency?  For their children's education?  Life insurance?  Seriously. If they can't find $99 they should get a $99 Android.

    iPhone customers are cheap asses as well. Always looking for the free iphone.
    sog35 wrote: »
    Life is all about pro's and con's.  

    How much something is worth.  I would get your point if Apple only sold a 16GB model.  But they don't.  They give the customers the choice to upgrade.  IMO, $100 premium on a $650 product is not exorbatant markup.  If you truly need more than 16GB you should pay the extra $100 and be done with it.

    Think about it this way.  The price of the iPhone was $650 in 2007.  Since then Apple has added a ton of new services, features, and hardware.  The price is STILL $650 today!!!!  What a bargain!!!  I wish I could buy groceries for the same price as 2007!!!

    Use an inflation calculator and you will see that $650 in 2007 is $750 in 2015!!!!  So actually the iPhone is being sold for $100 less than in 2007!!!

    $650 in 2007 = $750 in 2015

    http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

    Sure but stepping up to 32GB would have little effect on Apple bottom line. These people that are buying the 16GB option today are going to be pissed 3 years from now when nothing works because it can't fit.
  • Reply 93 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    There would be a surplus of the higher models if people were only buying the 16 GB because they wanted to. The only model I've seen in surplus is the 16 GB model which means they're obviously making more of them. I don't have to use my brain to realize the obvious.

    So you think Apple wants to sell more 16 GB models than 64 GB? Are you on drugs?

    Yes I believe that. If the 16 GB is the highest selling then why we're there plenty of 16 GB iPads when I was looking to purchase one. And I'm not talking about one store I visited many stores, and all had the 16 GB models in stock. Simple logic would tell you that the most popular model would be harder to find but it was the easiest to find telling me that Apple obviously produces many more of the 16 GB model.
  • Reply 94 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    sog35 wrote: »
    So you think Apple wants to sell more 16 GB models than 64 GB? Are you on drugs?

    When the stock of iPhones come in to any one of the stores there are always at least double if not triple 16GB over the 64/128. So yes, more 16GB iPhones are being sold. The reason. People want to spend next to no money on the iPhone. They come in and say "I'm here for my free upgrade to the iPhone". Always complaining about how expensive it is. So they get whatever is the cheapest option. When the iPhone 6 has a deal like it's $100 off people come in droves for the 16GB option.

    And why are the 16 GB models on sale? Surplus stock.
  • Reply 95 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Plenty of people 'settle'.

    Then they have no one to blame but themself.

    Apple makes a finite amount of devices. There are going to be people that purchase what they can find, and not necessarily what they wanted.
  • Reply 96 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Yes I believe that. If the 16 GB is the highest selling then why we're there plenty of 16 GB iPads when I was looking to purchase one. And I'm not talking about one store I visited many stores, and all had the 16 GB models in stock. Simple logic would tell you that the [SIZE=24px]most popular model would be harder to find[/SIZE] but it was the easiest to find telling me that Apple obviously produces many more of the 16 GB model.

    flat out wrong.

    It depends on how many units were produced compared to demand.

    One month after launch I'm pretty sure you could find 64/128 GB.  During launch there will always be shortages of certain models.

    If it's the most popular model then demand is always going to be high. What's so hard to understand?
  • Reply 97 of 122
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post





    Store all your photos and music with Google if storage is an issue.

    That's too much drain on my data plan.  I don't want to use my data plan every time I want to see my photos or listen to my music.

  • Reply 98 of 122
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,911member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by msantti View Post





    Not all have the vast wealth you have.



    And is not necessarily they don't have $100.



    Sometimes it's just if they have justification to spend it.

     

    Yep. My solution? Buy a 64GB iPhone 5 for $200. Done.  Looks like it will be running the latest OS for another year 1/2 at least. Maybe not every feature, maybe not as good a camera, but oh well. Some people just need to grow up. If you can afford it, great. If you can't, or don't want to, deal with it. It's not that big of a deal. It's a phone. Apple doesn't owe me anything. I like Apple products, I'll get the ones I need and can afford.

  • Reply 99 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    If it's the most popular model then demand is always going to be high. What's so hard to understand?

    still does not mean there would be a shortage.

    If demand was 100,000,000 units but they produced 200,000,000 there would be no shortage.

    You simply have no way to know what the most popular model is based on the amount of units in stock.

    That's like saying the iPhone 6+ sold more units than the iPhone6 because there was a shortage of iPhone 6+ at launch.  WRONG.  There was a shortage because a lack of supply. 

    You are totally ignoring the supply part of the equation.

    I'm taking supply into full account. Here's what I know, 1) a high level Apple exec claims that the 16 GB model is the most popular model, 2) whenever I go shopping all I ever see in stock are the 16 GB models. I can only ascertain that supply is higher than demand but those get purchased because the consumer can't always wait for supply to catch up with their demand so they buy what's available instead of what they wanted.
  • Reply 100 of 122
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

    People will vote with their wallets.

    The MacBook while beautiful, has it's shortcomings and is certainly not inexpensive.

     

    I suspect if the MacBook flops because of the single USB-C port or speed, Apple will respond sooner rather than just let it languish. 

Sign In or Register to comment.