After crushing rival smartwatch sales, Apple Watch portrayed as doomed by CNBC

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 219
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    pogo007 wrote: »
    I've been a little disappointed in Apple since Steve Job's died. Steve had a eye for what works and what doesn't. Same for the Walt Disney company, I loved disney but when Walt died the company suffered lack of innovation which took more than 10 years to recover. I own a Mac consultation business and believe me I know what I'm talking about more than 70% of you guys on here. My corporate customers are starting to worry about the direction Apple is going.

I happen to also be in the consulting and tech support business, making me just one of the 30% here that I can assure you know more than you do.

Funny how my business continues to expand daily helping departments and entire small businesses switch over to Macs. True, half of my job is easy because most of these people and decision makers have iPhones that they're more than happy with. What continues to amaze me is the number of small Windows-based shops that really put all of their faith in Apple and go full-throttle ahead based on their iOS experience.

Steve Jobs if still alive would be forgiven for gloating just a wee bit.
  • Reply 202 of 219
    pogo007pogo007 Posts: 43member
    robm wrote: »
    ffs

You may be skeptical so what ? Massive troll leap to say everyone is skeptical when that is plainly untrue.
    Why did you buy one ?

Perhaps you are experiencing post cognitive dissonance ?
    I suspect some other form of disconnect - oh no wait, you're just a troll.

Wow again a post that contains nothing but saying I am a troll. Dude just reply to my argument all you do is say I'm a troll in all your post. You never give your opinion on the subject.

I own one because many clients may have questions on the product. Most of the time they want my opinion first before they buy one. Right now the only thing that smart watches do is everything your phone can but on a super small screen on your wrist.
  • Reply 203 of 219
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    You are a moron - you haven't got an argument !
    Crap rhetoric and conjecture.

Olympic class idiot !
    I'm out because I can't be bothered with you.
    Expect to get grilled if you hang around here.
  • Reply 204 of 219
    robm wrote: »
    You are a moron - you haven't got an argument !
    Crap rhetoric and conjecture.

Olympic class idiot !
    I'm out because I can't be bothered with you.
    Expect to get grilled if you hang around here.

Now who's the troll? Here's the definition of troll for you.

a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.
  • Reply 205 of 219
    Not one, I'll bet. Likely couldn't afford one, I'll bet.

It is truly a marvel. A fabulously delicate, unobtrusive, classy, technologically advanced marvel.

Wow that's funny. Just a fact a real piece of jewelry does not lose value over time. Your Apple watch will be worth 0$ in three years unless you get the 10 000$ watch then your bracelet will be the only thing left of value. Real swiss made watches or japanese watches don't lose a lot of value over time, some of them actually gain value.
  • Reply 206 of 219
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member

Completely agree. My last watch was $200 and only tells the time, I can also see the date if I squint and if the minute hand isn't in the way. Not great.

I love the different watch faces, but having the schedule available upon the lift of a wrist is SO good! And knowing Apple, they'll simply keep improving it and updating it.

• Reply 207 of 219
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Wow that's funny. Just a fact a real piece of jewelry does not lose value over time. Your Apple watch will be worth 0$ in three years unless you get the 10 000$ watch then your bracelet will be the only thing left of value. Real swiss made watches or japanese watches don't lose a lot of value over time, some of them actually gain value.

What a brilliant argument¡
  • Reply 208 of 219
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Also FYI I bought a Apple Watch, it's currently sitting on my night table collecting dust.

That's not Apple's fault, that's your fault for not knowing what you were getting.
  • Reply 209 of 219
    jungmark wrote: »
    That's not Apple's fault, that's your fault for not knowing what you were getting.

I never said it was Apple fault. It's just another half baked product and a distraction on the wrist really. Before you say I am a troll read my past post and you'll see I give credit to what apple does right. The watch is not one of those products that were done right. Listen no company is perfect and the new age Apple fanboys don't understand that, they just seem to think everything apple does is perfect. Apple had many flops in its past, they learned from them and improved. I think they will do the same with the watch.
  • Reply 210 of 219
    I never said it was Apple fault. It's just another half baked product and a distraction on the wrist really. Before you say I am a troll read my past post and you'll see I give credit to what apple does right. The watch is not one of those products that were done right. Listen no company is perfect and the new age Apple fanboys don't understand that, they just seem to think everything apple does is perfect. Apple had many flops in its past, they learned from them and improved. I think they will do the same with the watch.

Half baked? Just because you don't have use for it doesn't mean it's not useful.
  • Reply 211 of 219
    Half baked? Just because you don't have use for it doesn't mean it's not useful.

The reason I say half baked is because the watch still relies heavily on your phone. Companies don't seem to have a clue what to do with a smart device on your wrist currently. It's at the stage where it's just a accessory to your phone like a bluetooth. Also this watch is just one more item you need to charge every night. Instead of wasting all this R&D on a watch I think they should of spent it on what really matters batteries. At this point in time this is a issue every user in the world has is batteries that run out of juice quickly. If they could of spent the R&D money on making iphone batteries that last 1 week on a single charge that would of been something cool and Apple could of stopped telling there users there using their iphone's wrong.
  • Reply 212 of 219
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    The reason I say half baked is because the watch still relies heavily on your phone.

So your idea of not being half-basked is to follow in the steps of all those failed "smart"watches that tried to put a smartphone on your wrist. Yet another brilliant comment you've made¡

Guess what, my FitBit force relied heavily on my iPhone. I certainly didn't want to have to set everything up with that tiny interface. Even if we imagine the adding WiFi would affect the size or battery life of Force can you imagine having to setup a WiFi network that way so it can record and organize all my fitness tracking data? That seems reasonable to you, does it?

My Withings Scale needed to pair with my iPhone, too, and that has a much larger display and overall size. I guess they could have made the entire front of the scale a giant touchscreen display, but does that sounds reasonable over having it pair via BT to their iPhone app which will then connect it to your WiFi network which will then let you set up various users and other settings?
    If they could of spent the R&D money on making iphone batteries that last 1 week on a single charge that would of been something cool and Apple could of stopped telling there users there using their iphone's wrong.

And yet you are confused as to why you come across as a troll. :no:
  • Reply 213 of 219
    The reason I say half baked is because the watch still relies heavily on your phone. Companies don't seem to have a clue what to do with a smart device on your wrist currently. It's at the stage where it's just a accessory to your phone like a bluetooth. Also this watch is just one more item you need to charge every night. Instead of wasting all this R&D on a watch I think they should of spent it on what really matters batteries. At this point in time this is a issue every user in the world has is batteries that run out of juice quickly. If they could of spent the R&D money on making iphone batteries that last 1 week on a single charge that would of been something cool and Apple could of stopped telling there users there using their iphone's wrong.

Haha. You think Apple R&Ds one product at a time? What a stupid comment.
    You think it's frakking easy to develop a phone battery that lasts a week? Why haven't you done it.

The original iPod relied on a Mac. Was that half baked at the time?
  • Reply 214 of 219
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,568member
    Haha. You think Apple R&Ds one product at a time? What a stupid comment.
    You think it's frakking easy to develop a phone battery that lasts a week? Why haven't you done it.

The original iPod relied on a Mac. Was that half baked at the time?

The original iPhone relied on iTunes until iOS 5. You couldn't even activate it without a computer!

Four years of dismal failure.
  • Reply 215 of 219
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spheric View Post

The original iPhone relied on iTunes until iOS 5. You couldn't even activate it without a computer!

Four years of dismal failure.

Do you have any idea how long they have been making cars that are totally dependent on gas? I can't believe they ever sold more than a dozen.

Many computers today are reliant on this thing called the interwebs in order to most of the cool things they do. It is like these computer nerds just don't have a clue...

• Reply 216 of 219
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    So your idea of not being half-basked is to follow in the steps of all those failed "smart"watches that tried to put a smartphone on your wrist. Yet another brilliant comment you've made¡

Guess what, my FitBit force relied heavily on my iPhone. I certainly didn't want to have to set everything up with that tiny interface. Even if we imagine the adding WiFi would affect the size or battery life of Force can you imagine having to setup a WiFi network that way so it can record and organize all my fitness tracking data? That seems reasonable to you, does it?

My Withings Scale needed to pair with my iPhone, too, and that has a much larger display and overall size. I guess they could have made the entire front of the scale a giant touchscreen display, but does that sounds reasonable over having it pair via BT to their iPhone app which will then connect it to your WiFi network which will then let you set up various users and other settings?
    And yet you are confused as to why you come across as a troll. :no:

Jeez Soli.... you've been on and around the net for decades and don't know that it's common practice for people to add their year of birth to their form name?

You're picking on an 8 year old future genius! :D
  • Reply 217 of 219

To expensive for me.

• Reply 218 of 219
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pogo007 View Post

The reason I say half baked is because the watch still relies heavily on your phone. Companies don't seem to have a clue what to do with a smart device on your wrist currently. It's at the stage where it's just a accessory to your phone like a bluetooth.

What I find interesting is that this idea that the "Apple Watch is of no use because it relies heavily on your iPhone" is a real problem.  A few answers to this.  First - smartphones have become the most ubiquitous computing/communication device.  People really do carry them "almost everywhere".  For many in the younger generations, it is literally the last thing they put down at night and first thing they look at in the morning.  Even when not on you, it is usually in the area (plugged in at home, in the car, in the office).

So because the Apple Watch requires a device that you have with you almost all the time, for some functions, it is a failure?  Time to think about it for a minute, rather than repeat template media and blogger talking points.

Second, as we see with WatchOS 2, the Apple Watch will be quite capable of more functions without an iPhone, while on known WiFi networks.  This will be out in the fall, or about 5-6 months from the devices launch.

Third, for those that say it requires an "iPhone", and doesn't work with an Android phone, do you really believe for a second that someone who has an Android phone is going to want an Apple Watch?  That potential market hit by this is *extremely* small.

Finally, for those advocating that a smart watch should have its own cellular connection, are you really thinking this through?  You want another cellular service and all of its fees?  You want another phone number?  Or do you think a smart watch really should be a phone on your wrist, but with an extremely small screen?

So again, are you really thinking about this, or are you just negative on it "'cause"?

• Reply 219 of 219
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thejd View Post

Regarding everything in your last paragraph, how you spend your money is your own business, not mine.  The same is true for me.  That being said spending $400 on an Apple Watch is overkill for what a Fitbit can do which also has a great app.  I'm not attacking with the statement, "it's overkill if all you bought the AW for was the fitness tracker".  All I'm looking for is a coherent answer to the question, "How does the AW make you more productive during the day".  I didn't have that question with the iPhone.  I didn't have a good answer for it with the iPad which led me to sell it.  The inability I've found in people to answer that question with the AW leads me to believe the device is a fad which will fade with time.  So tell me, how does it make you more productive?

Not sure if you are asking the questions here because you really are looking for someone to provide insight, or just want to continually state that you see no value in it, consider it too expensive, and don't believe it will succeed.  If the latter, I guess you can consider your job done, and hopefully don't feel compelled to come back on every thread to repeat it.

From my perspective, you are focusing too much on "productivity".  What do you really mean?  Does it help you get your office work done faster or with less effort?  Does it help you manage your personal life faster?  Does it let you build slides or spreadsheets faster, or study for school faster?  I am not sure how the first iPhone offered immediate "productivity" improvements.  It was a very cool device, with a ground breaking UI, and married three functions into one.  Maybe just me, but I think it took a few years for scale, usage and the apps to really impact productivity.

For me, the Apple Watch (today) is about being a great watch + useful information, offers great value for me in the health & fitness arena (new for me as I didn't want a single purpose device like a Fitbit), and provides convenience.  I used to wear a watch, but really never found the fit that great in many cases.  So I stopped wearing, with exception of a sport watch used only relevant occasions.  The Apple Watch is the most comfortable watch I have used (due to Apple innovations in areas that no one else thought about much), and has significant value to me over a traditional watch (to which a reasonable one which looks good, with sufficient warranty, will start at $200+).  

A smart watch or wearable is not meant to replicate what a smart phone does (that screen is just too small, it cannot be held the same, no room for text input, etc) - no matter how battery tech and cellular capabilities improve.  It is about providing a means to interact with our bodies, our environment, and provide relevant information, in a secure and personal way that a "carry-able" device cannot.

No one has a crystal ball.  Maybe the Apple Watch, and the wearable category in general, will remain niche for some time.  I certainly think it will take time to develop, as it is not until people use the device over time that they can see if it is for them or not.  My opinion is that it has great potential to be the interface to the "Internet of Things", and Apple has clearly produced the clear leader in the category.