Apple developing iPhone and iCloud encryption that counters FBI-requested workaround, reports say

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    The only problem with this strategy is the fact that, once Apple acquiesces, it just becomes a game of escalation: the FBI wants new code decrypted, which leads Apple to want to take it to the next level, which leads to a new decryption request.... You get the picture. 

The only viable long term solution is to get this resolved at the national level legislatively and get that legislation backed by the Supreme Court. 
    cornchipsteveh
  • Reply 42 of 94
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    When, not if, Apple's attitude protects a deadly attack, please remember your support of privacy over safety. Apple's attitude is misleading if not outright dishonest.

Terrorists would love for Apple to lose this fight. It would be a step toward them being able to gain access to individual's phones and personal information, with which they would use to lock us out of our own devices, for example, demanding a blackmail payment to allow us back in. Didn't this just happen to an entire hospital? Of course, that would be a silent arm of the terrorist organization, not proclaiming they were working for or with terrorists, so people would assume it's just some hacker and make the payment. Meanwhile, multiplied by innumerable such hacks, money flows back to the terror organization to fund weapons purchases and other truly deadly activities. Just one of the additional things we get to worry about should we be forced to weaken security of our electronic devices.

Meanwhile, the terrorists simply install encryption software on their own phones that has been developed outside the U.S. and therefore isn't subject to the U.S. government's requirement for backdoors.

Try to think at least two steps ahead, please.
    edited February 2016 OttoReversenouserpalominecornchipstevehewtheckmanpscooter63
  • Reply 43 of 94
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    pembroke said:
    Re:
    "Our job is to protect our customers, and our customers have incredibly detailed information on their phones. There's probably more information about you on your phone than there is in your house," Cook said in Friday's ABC interview, noting many people keep contact information, health records, private communications and more on their smartphones. "So it's not just about privacy, but it's also about public safety."

Is total privacy a human right? Is total privacy possible? Is total privacy natural? I'd say "no" to all three. Anyone living in a small community has little to no privacy, apart from what they do behind closed doors. Once they participate in a communal event (and what is the cellular network and the internet if not communal?) then an expectation of total guaranteed privacy is fanciful. 

Re:  "There's probably more information about you on your phone than there is in your house"
    Well, perhaps THAT is the problem, People should stop holding so much key information on their phones that are made to operate across a public utility like the cellular network and the internet. If mobile phones disappeared tomorrow people would adjust and adapt and continue to function quite well.

Re: "Re: "Our job is to protect our customers"
    Is it? Apple's job is to make sure that their mobile phones can connect to industry standard telecommunications protocols, otherwise no one would buy their phones. And that's about it as far as Apple's 'job' is concerned. If people want to hold all their banking info and other info they want to keep from the eyes of others on their phones that use the public utilities then that is their concern, not Apple's. You can have all the total privacy you want if you don't use a phone of any sort or send eMails across public networks.  

If I manufacture a paper notepad and people write private information on it, it is not my job to guarantee that no one else can see that paper notebook, especially if it is being sent across some communal network to someone else. 

Even if known 'subversives' are sending letters through the post, government authorities can request judicial authority to open that mail, in the interests of general public safety. 

And of course, who decides who is a subversive? The great and the good within the judicial system. And can we guarantee that those people really ARE great and good? There will never be a unanimous agreement over who is deserving of being 'great and good', particularly relative to others.

Keeping information pursuant to community safety secret, or not a secret, is the job of the Community's security agents, not Apple's.  You can have total guaranteed privacy if you live alone on an island...but "no man is an island". 
    I'll thank you 'not' to tell me what I 'should' and 'should not' be doing. Anybody using "people should..." along with confused general statements lacking logic and reason, is, in my world, deluded, hopelessly parochial and arrogant to boot.
     I 'choose' to use Apple's services. I choose to keep my cyberself world on my phone. Apple provides a secure solution to that storage and Apple, realizing that much of it is personal and private handles the security aspects  for user trust, in such a way that is not susceptible to the whims of political dogma, over reaching by intelligence agencies or illegal actions by those seeking to steal that data for nefarious purposes.
    The rest of your diatribe consists of irrelevant logic failure.
    nouserstevehcornchippscooter63argonaut
  • Reply 44 of 94

tonester said:
    Excellent!  Every company should takes customer data and privacy as seriously as Apple. 
    Yeah even terrorists that kill people in a mental hospital, great idea.
    What on earth are you talking about? Do you really think Apple leaving ways to get into an iPhone are going to stop terrorists and criminals? They will (if they haven't already) simple move to third party or custom built encrypted messaging apps that neither Apple nor the US government can do a damn thing about. You can get into their phone all day and won't get anything from it. And that's assuming they aren't just using cheap Android burner phones.
    steveh
  • Reply 45 of 94
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    When, not if, Apple's attitude protects a deadly attack, please remember your support of privacy over safety. Apple's attitude is misleading if not outright dishonest.

I understand your reasoning, but in the long run I cannot find that I agree with it. If life was as simple as only letting decent and deserving people use laws and safeguards for their protection it would already be in place.

Unfortunately laws are there for all, because if they are not there for all they would be unenforceable and unjust.

This does mean that sometimes distasteful and downright evil people are able to perpetrate their crimes and are able to use the justice system for their own ends. And yes, it is possible that terrorists will communicate in secret using the protection for all that Apple has put in place and that may contribute to the success of an attack.

I know that this is a heart jerking case. The FBI has deliberately chosen it, I do not doubt, to stoke up the general populations sympathy towards the victims and their wish to see justice dealt out to the evil doers.

Once this is done it will be easier to do a second time and then a third. It will also become a lot easier to legislate that protection is watered down to enable easier access.

If we could guarantee that honest, law abiding, government organisations would be the only people to have access I'd be all for it. Unfortunately this won't be the case, you know it and I know it.

Sometimes the best decisions are not the ones that make you feel comfortable.

nouserpalominestevehcornchipewtheckmanpscooter63
  • Reply 46 of 94
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    apple ][ said:
    then you side with the people that say everybody should have another tool, a gun at all time, everywhere and have the right to kill to protect their privacy and rights. 
    Every sane person should have a gun, if they so desire. It's their right. And they should definitely use it too, should the situation warrant it.
    Pistol grip pump on my lap at all times
  • Reply 47 of 94
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    One of the more funny aspects of all this security stuff are the poor sots who can’t remember their passwords, pin codes, security questions, and so forth. The Apple discussion forums are laced with desperate posts from individuals who have locked themselves out of their phones. Then there are the poor slobs who bought an iPhone on eBay or Craigslist only to find the devices are activation locked. The seething outrage comes through loud and clear. “I’m stupid and Apple should unlock this iPhone I bought on the street corner from a guy who said he was an Apple engineer!”
    OttoReversecornchip
  • Reply 48 of 94
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

People like you terrify me. Obviously you're just another TV-created zombie sheep. The television tells you to be afraid, so you're afraid. The television tells you there are terrorists around every corner, you believe it.

How do you even get out of bed in the morning? You must be terrified of your own shadow.
    nouserpalominecornchipewtheckmanfracpscooter63
  • Reply 49 of 94

sflocal said:
    I really like this proactive approach.  By the time this works its way through the legal system, Apple (hopefully) would have upgraded iOS to a point where it can just give the US government (and any others) a big "F**k You, good luck with that!".

I'm ashamed that my government is attempting to play on the ignorance of its citizens to flat-out violate my right to privacy.  I would totally expect it in China, or in Iran, but in my country?  Shameful.

Keep up the good work Apple!  If anything, all the press about the iPhone being so secure, it's pissing-off the FBI has got to be good!
    Meh. This is nothing new for the US government. I know typically they go clean face to the public, but they are some of the biggest scum in the universe. Their evil is mostly clandestine and carried out in shadow. In recent times though, as the public becomes more indoctrinated by the media, they find it easier to just come right out in the open with their unlawful, unAmerican, anti-human right behavior.
  • Reply 50 of 94
    DjTBA said:
     What I'd like to know  does Apple plan on dealing with that pesky little thing called a Federal Court Order to help the FBI. Their plan of throwing OS software under the 1st Amendment is delusional at best.
    It's called the "appeals process". The Federal Court Order is subject to appeal, which Apple has already initiated. There are several reasons why this Order will probably be quashed. First is that the Order under the All Writs Act is inappropriate since there is specific legislation (CALEA). A second is that the action required is "unduly burdensome" since Apple does not have the software, but would be forced to create it. Third is that, as the Order is written, the task is impossible. It specifies that the bypass code MUST run in RAM and must not change what's in flash storage. As I understand it, that's not how DFU mode works. It writes the image to flash. Whether or not the First Amendment issue is delusional or not is of no consequence.
    steveh
  • Reply 51 of 94
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Did any one notice when the media asked the government about the fact they changed the icloud password which render any attempt to get access to the date, they refuse to talk about and said apple was saying that to divert attention away from them. They also saying this is just a pure marketing scheme on Apple's part nothings more. It about them selling more iphone than anything else. They basically said Apple has no interest in protection people rights beyond their ability to sell more phones.

The government obviously has not been paying attention to the recent polls and the fact Trump is winning all because people are extremely pissed off at the government.

palominecornchip
  • Reply 52 of 94
    JamesBB said:

apple ][ said:
    Every sane person should have a gun, if they so desire. It's their right. And they should definitely use it too, should the situation warrant it.
    Those who are fearful of a gunless society, just look at chrime and homicide rates in developed countries with strict gun regulation. USA have 10 times more gun related homicides per capita than Germany...Why? Because of an almighty weapons industry with a huge economical incentive to continue the ongoing civil war...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Seriously, we cannot continue to pretend that we live in the wild west and allow underaged gunslingers to roam the streets... Let's evolve as a species like the rest of the world.
    Compare knife violence over there to here. People will use what they can get. Gun violence also continues to decline. 

PS: it's a constitutional right, so get used to it. 
    OttoReversestevehcornchip
  • Reply 53 of 94
    dewme said:
    What Apple is suggesting is what every organization and agency serious about creating a global connected economy and making the Internet of Things (IoT) a useful lever in propelling the next age of innovation should be working on - like ten years ago. Too often companies release connected products and services into the market with little regard for the privacy, security, and availability vulnerabilities of these products to expanding threats that are made possible with the newfound connected capability. Much of the core set of things and services we value and rely upon in a modern society, like water, electricity, transportation systems, pipelines, the stock market, banking, shopping, health care, etc., are supported by connected digital infrastructure that are completely reliant on secure and reliable connectivity and storage. The IoT only raises the stakes and increases our dependency on reliable, secure, and trusted connectivity down to the single device level. 

There will always be evil in the world regardless of whatever contemporary tools and technologies are available to the general public and law enforcement. This evil exists in the hearts and minds of humans and has nothing to do with technology. Until law enforcement comes up with a way to intercept human thought there will always be a threat.

In the meantime, companies that build tools and technology that becomes a critical part of our connected existence are responsible for doing everything in their power to ensure that it is secure, private, trusted, and available at all times. The expectations that Apple is establishing is simply them doing their job, being subservient to their customers needs and rights, and not being stupid. Companies and agencies who play to the naivety of those who don't have to think about what keeps the connected world working, even in a somewhat but not perfectly reliable fashion, are the ones who are being stupid and acting in their own self interests.

Then there are those companies who are 100% behind what Apple is doing but won't come out and support Apple. Companies like Google, IBM, Amazon, Cisco, Microsoft, Intel, etc., are more than willing to let Apple take all the arrows for them even when they know that they need, and are also working on, the same the kinds of safeguards that Apple is being scrutinized about in a very public forum. The ones standing to the side and not materially coming to the assistance of a colleague being assaulted in an alley by a bully are the ones who should be called to justify their immoral behavior and inaction.
    Love it!
  • Reply 54 of 94
    JamesBB said:

Those who are fearful of a gunless society, just look at chrime and homicide rates in developed countries with strict gun regulation. USA have 10 times more gun related homicides per capita than Germany...Why? Because of an almighty weapons industry with a huge economical incentive to continue the ongoing civil war...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Seriously, we cannot continue to pretend that we live in the wild west and allow underaged gunslingers to roam the streets... Let's evolve as a species like the rest of the world.
    Compare knife violence over there to here. People will use what they can get. Gun violence also continues to decline. 

The current homicide rate per capita in USA is 5 times higher than Germany...

You are obviously as educated as the rest of the gun lobby...
  • Reply 55 of 94
    maestro64 said:

Did any one notice when the media asked the government about the fact they changed the icloud password which render any attempt to get access to the date, they refuse to talk about and said apple was saying that to divert attention away from them. They also saying this is just a pure marketing scheme on Apple's part nothings more. It about them selling more iphone than anything else. They basically said Apple has no interest in protection people rights beyond their ability to sell more phones.

The government obviously has not been paying attention to the recent polls and the fact Trump is winning all because people are extremely pissed off at the government.

Please don't be naive. The government is NOT stupid. They know exactly what they're doing by making the kind of idiotic statements that some beer-swilling armchair quarterback blue collar minimum wage citizen would make. They are waging psychological warfare in the hopes of winning over exactly that kind of American. The 51% or so that are so retarded its a miracle they make it through the day.
    cornchippscooter63
  • Reply 56 of 94

tonester said:
    Excellent!  Every company should takes customer data and privacy as seriously as Apple. 
    Yeah even terrorists that kill people in a mental hospital, great idea. 
    That's because every moron in this country can get a gun and not because they had an iPhone. Let's get to the root of that problem and it's clearly not the iPhone. Guns kill not iPhones. 
    copeland
  • Reply 57 of 94
    JamesBB said:

The current homicide rate per capita in USA is 5 times higher than Germany...

You are obviously as educated as the rest of the gun lobby...
    Comparing nation to nation (on any statistic) is difficult at best, serious flawed at worst.  Canada has a lower homicide rate than the US, but several states have comparable homicide rates and some states have lower homicide rates than some neighbouring provinces.  Look where the violence is regionally/locally and look for cause.  I bet you'll find poverty, poor education, gangs, drug wars etc.
    cornchip
  • Reply 58 of 94
    It's also sad/scary that the so called best and brightest minds of the U.S. intelligence community can't crack a cell phone. 
    That's the definition of secure encryption! Sheesh, do a little research.
  • Reply 59 of 94
    Good! I prefer that a company is securing my info than the all too often, such and such company has been hacked and lost 225,000 customers personal data. The company is currently investigating. Why are these stories so quiet?  
    OttoReverse
  • Reply 60 of 94

I totally disagree. There is a multitude of ways OTHER than hacking a phone which can be used to detect and prevent such an attack. This current issue is merely a ruse to get legislation passed to usurp our liberties, plain and simple.

And with ONE post to your name, you're most likely a shill for the "bad guys."
    edited February 2016 cornchipOttoReverse