Folding phone misery continues for Samsung Galaxy Fold, Huawei Mate X

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,312member
    This is what happens when you actually ship a prototype. 

I believe that Samsung knew ahead of time of all of the issues of their device and went ahead in sending units to the press in order to prevent Huawei in beating them to market. 

Sure you can compare this huge misstep to Apple’s iPad bending and their chronic issues with MBPro keyboards, but the difference is the amount of issues with the Fold compared to the number of units sent out magnifies the flaws that should have been prevented.  Comparatively to Apple, the issues with the Fold, make the device appear to have had no vetting outside of Samsung’s R&D.
    I believe the same thing happened with the Note. 

The real eye opener to me is Huawei delaying their device as well. I haven’t heard of any reports of issues of their device, which leads me to believe that they have the same issues Samsung does. That gives credit to the rumor that someone stole technology from someone else if they exhibit the same issues. 
  • Reply 22 of 86
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,702member
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    The Mate X is ready to go but market conditions are not appropriate. Three months won't change much in key areas of the design but from a marketing perspective, if the market conditions change, a September launch will have far more impact than a June launch.

More months for testing is a valid justification (especially as there is no real competition at the moment) and avoids them having to mention component bans etc.

Three months could come in very handy though for testing Ark OS on the device.
    Market conditions = customers aren't happy with a display that lasts a week before breaking under normal use.
    Forget the display. It won't change. A change to such an integral part of the device would take more than three months to test. They could upgrade certain materials, swapping in more durable options but major design changes aren't going to happen.
  • Reply 23 of 86
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    avon b7 said:
    The Mate X is ready to go but market conditions are not appropriate. Three months won't change much in key areas of the design but from a marketing perspective, if the market conditions change, a September launch will have far more impact than a June launch.

More months for testing is a valid justification (especially as there is no real competition at the moment) and avoids them having to mention component bans etc.

The Mate is undergoing more testing so as to not have problems as the Samsung model is having, as Huawei itself stated. Don’t try to spin this too. Their model is going to have plenty of problems, because while they almost solved one hinge problem by putting the screen on the outside, it’s going to cause a host of other, serious, problems. That screen is going to get destroyed in use, and no matter how you try to spin it, putting a plastic screen on the outside of a phone the way they did is just asking for problems.

no explanation about “scratch resistant“ coatings is going to help prevent gauges from whatever is in someone’s pocket. And putting that phone down on a slightly uneven, scratchy surface will not be fun. And who doesn’t put their phone down. The problem with scratch resistance is that it’s extremely thin. There is no plastic film in existence that is scratch “proof”. Not even Gorilla glass is. But the other problem is that scratch resistant plastics, such as acrylic and polycarbonate that have coatings, are meant for windows, or glasses, neither of which are meant to be kept with keys, coins and other objects in a confined area which is continually changing dimensions and shape as you move, grinding all of those objects together constantly.

it should be fun to watch the failures of their device in reviewers hands.
    AppleExposeddocno42
  • Reply 24 of 86
    avon b7 said:

Holy shit, the Wall Scum anal-yst market spin drivel is strong with this one!!!
    Perhaps you are unaware of the market conditions I mentioned. There is little or nothing to gain in releasing now.

No competition.
    Component supply issues.
    Government regulatory issues.
    Potential new OS to test.

Moving to September (conditions permitting) will pit the X (and the Mate 30 series) against the Note 10 and the iPhone 2019 refresh. That makes far more sense from a marketing perspective as neither Apple nor Samsung are likely to have folding options and Apple almost certainly won't have a 5G option (and 5G marketing will be a fever pitch by Christmas).

• Reply 25 of 86
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,346member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Perhaps you are unaware of the market conditions I mentioned. There is little or nothing to gain in releasing now.

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

Moving to September (conditions permitting) will pit the X (and the Mate 30 series) against the Note 10 and the iPhone 2019 refresh. That makes far more sense from a marketing perspective as neither Apple nor Samsung are likely to have folding options and Apple almost certainly won't have a 5G option (and 5G marketing will be a fever pitch by Christmas).

"5G marketing will be at a fever pitch".

Now might be the time to check your temperature...
    edited June 2019 roundaboutnowAppleExposedStrangeDaysdocno42
  • Reply 26 of 86
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

Take a look of which countries have gone live on 5G recently. Vodafone Spain has just begun its 5G marketing push. There are signs all over Barcelona already. By the end of the year coverage will be spreading fast and marketing will be right there with it.

Yes. In the run up to the Christmas season, 5G marketing will be fever pitch.
  • Reply 27 of 86
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

Take a look of which countries have gone live on 5G recently. Vodafone Spain has just begun its 5G marketing push. There are signs all over Barcelona already. By the end of the year coverage will be spreading fast and marketing will be right there with it.

My point is that very few people are going to miss out on 5G by waiting another year to purchase a phone. 

So, I would ask, will you be buying a new Honor phone this Christmas just for 5G?

AppleExposedGG1StrangeDaysdocno42
  • Reply 28 of 86
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    I've seen one of these folding iWannabes break during a demo haha! The video is out there somewhere.

avon b7 said:

The official Huawei spokesperson has spoken. Thanks for the facts bro.

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

"No competition"

An SNL skit couldn't make this up....

StrangeDaysdocno42
  • Reply 29 of 86
    Fatman said:
    First to market is not always a great strategy - especially if you mess up the launch. Samsung intended to show the world that they are a cutting edge innovator, instead it has spiralled into another damaging fail (the battery debacle being the other notable stumble). Samsung's PR firm will be plenty busy. Apple, being a 'medium speed' (not fast) follower, usually proves to be the more successful strategy as it allows a company to gauge market acceptance, product demand, and ability to learn from competitor's successes and missteps to then create a more refined product that is in tune with what consumers want. I think Apple's AR, home automation, glasses and electric car initiatives will be 'late' to market, but will be worth the wait since they will address the shortcomings of earlier products.

I don't believe Apple will be "late" but rather first as usual.

When Apple releases their product it will be so different and practical that the entire industry will copy (again).
    Soli
  • Reply 30 of 86
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

My point is that very few people are going to miss out on 5G by waiting another year to purchase a phone. 

So, I would ask, will you be buying a new Honor phone this Christmas just for 5G?

Precisely the job of marketing is to try and convince you otherwise. To achieve that goal they will campaign. Campaigning will reach a peak in the run up to Christmas.

• Reply 31 of 86
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Soli said:
    My "First!" comment was deleted from the forum for violating what rule? It was commentary about being first without offering substance. I didn't think my sarcasm was in any way subtle.
    Mods (or perhaps mod-bots) that don’t pay attention to context or subtlety are conditioned to react to posts like yours as nothing more than an immature child bragging that they are the “first” poster in a thread.  It’s low-hanging fruit in their task list, to stamp out “useless” posts.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 32 of 86
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Soli said:
    My "First!" comment was deleted from the forum for violating what rule? It was commentary about being first without offering substance. I didn't think my sarcasm was in any way subtle.
    No idea, I'll find out.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

Precisely the job of marketing is to try and convince you otherwise. To achieve that goal they will campaign. Campaigning will reach a peak in the run up to Christmas.

You failed to answer my question;

As someone posting at AI that has been vocal in the benefits of 5G, will you be an early adopter and purchase a Huawei / Honor phone at Christmas, or, as I have noted, are you just a cheerleader?

It's the concept of eating your own dog food; put up or shut up.

I will be buying this fall's rumored triple lens iPhone, and I'm not in the least concerned about 5G, considering it today to be nothing but hype.
    AppleExposedStrangeDays
  • Reply 34 of 86
    I've seen one of these folding iWannabes break during a demo haha! The video is out there somewhere.

avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

"No competition"

Firstly. The CEO of Huawei's Consumer Business Unit (not a spokesman) said the Mate X could ship 'tomorrow' if need be (this was before Trump's executive order). 

Secondly. The Mate X has already been in the hands of select media outlets for early evaluation - without any of the issues that affected the Fold.

If they have decided to delay the roll out for testing, try to put that into perspective. Try to apply a minimum of common sense and reach a conclusion as to why they are delaying the launch by three months.

That's what I did. No more. No less.

Thirdly: "no competition" - please enlighten me as to where the competition is. Right now, there isn't any and that is precisely why they can re-plan but this time taking into account current realities. Realities that simply weren't there when the original launch window was set.

• Reply 35 of 86
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

"No competition"

Firstly. The CEO of Huawei's Consumer Business Unit (not a spokesman) said the Mate X could ship 'tomorrow' if need be (this was before Trump's executive order). 

Secondly. The Mate X has already been in the hands of select media outlets for early evaluation - without any of the issues that affected the Fold.

If they have decided to delay the roll out for testing, try to put that into perspective. Try to apply a minimum of common sense and reach a conclusion as to why they are delaying the launch by three months.

Thirdly: "no competition" - please enlighten me as to where the competition is. Right now, there isn't any and that is precisely why they can re-plan but this time taking into account current realities. Realities that simply weren't there when the original launch window was set.

You might consider changing your AI moniker to Huawei PR b7. 
    pscooter63AppleExposedStrangeDayscornchip
  • Reply 36 of 86
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

You failed to answer my question;

As someone posting at AI that has been vocal in the benefits of 5G, will you be an early adopter and purchase a Huawei / Honor phone at Christmas, or, as I have noted, are you just a cheerleader?

It's the concept of eating your own dog food; put up or shut up.

I will be buying this fall's rumored triple lens iPhone, and I'm not in the least concerned about 5G, considering it today to be nothing but hype.
    I am set for at least another year with my Honor 10. My area has no 5G coverage at present but the 5G roll out here will be far, far faster than with 4G. To give you an idea, I believe 5G will reach 50% of the Spanish population by year end.

Of course, the 5G marketing campaign will be raging around me all the same. That was the point, remember.
  • Reply 37 of 86
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No competition.
    Component supply issues.

"No competition"

"No competition" as a reason to NOT sell a product?

My goodness that has to be the worst excuse I've ever seen.
    tmayStrangeDaysdocno42jony0
  • Reply 38 of 86
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    First exploding now breaking in half ... they must have misunderstood the saying 'no such thing as bad publicity' over there in Sammy HQ.  
    AppleExposedDAalseth
  • Reply 39 of 86
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Soli said:
    Seems it's back.  Hair-Trigger moderation I suspect, didn't get the sarcasm as it was intended.  Far too subtle lol.
    pscooter63cornchip
  • Reply 40 of 86
    MacPro said:
    First exploding now breaking in half ... they must have misunderstood the saying 'no such thing as bad publicity' over there in Sammy HQ.  

An iKnockoff Knight was being sarcastic and said "Apple invented the foldable phone with iPhone 6".

Anyone see the hypocrisy? How quickly Sammy is forgiven for releasing actual defected products.