Apple unveils new iPhone SE priced at just $399

Comments

• Reply 21 of 138
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 609member
    Looks like a bargain to me. Impressed by the 3GB RAM.
    It does however make the iPad Pros look expensive.
    A13 in the cheap budget phone, but A12 variant in iPad Pro which has a larger screen/resolution?
    I can’t understand that.
    Beats
  • Reply 22 of 138
    k2kw said:
    wood1208 said:
    gatorguy said:
    wood1208 said:
    Apple done it again. Answer to critique but for users who can't let go Touch ID, At $399 price point, what not to like !!
    Recently it's been all about "OMG that FOREHEAD!" and "Geesh, what massive bezels, LOL". I suppose this newest iPhone escapes those complaints.
      something got to give to put well recognized Touch ID on front. Obviously, could shrink mm side bezels and may be bit from top/down area but with Touch ID, can't get rid of much. That is a reality of physical touch id in front.

I don’t think touchID is great,  wish it could read your fingerprints  through latex gloves.
    My iPhone SE’s Touch ID reads my fingerprint through latex gloves just fine. 
    cornchipdoozydozenbaconstangchiaqwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 138
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    How often are you guys wearing latex gloves?
    PatchyThePirateV.2JWSCd_2
  • Reply 24 of 138
    After waiting and waiting for this phone, I am skipping it. What Apple missed was the affection for the ID of the 5 series. Besides the small size, the look and feel of the 5 form-factor was undeniable. Flat edges, metal frame. Kind of the feel of the boxy SUV (Honda Pilot, Jeep Wrangler) v. the swoopy (Lexus RX). I just wanted the SE with a full-screen display (notch and all), Face ID, a better camera, faster processor and definitely NOT a larger size. Must fit in back pocket. I actually dreamt last night that my phone (10s) was pocket-picked. Well, the fall phones are supposed to go back to the flat edge so I shall await that offering.
    GeorgeBMacBeatswilliamlondonbaconstangcornchip
  • Reply 25 of 138
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Facebook did try the same thing, and pundits at the time made a big deal about how mini-app"bots" were going to take over and erase the App Store back in 2015-2016. That didn't happen. https://appleinsider.com/articles/16/07/10/apple-inc-and-the-bot-war-on-apps- And the story of WeChat doing the same in China was a tale already told a few years ago in 2017. It's been a story since 2011. Apple somehow still has an App Store in China. No doubt it would be larger without any competition of any kind, but this story seems overblown.
    Gobnu said:
    Expected, but still disappointing.  I was hoping they would pull off the surprise and have one in the original SE case with an A12 in it.  I would greatly miss the smaller size, and the flat edges.  Guess I'll have to take a look at the fall offerings.
    Do you imagine that Apple does not have the data needed to know what people want? If people were buying 5" iPhones, Apple would be selling them. Nobody wants a tiny phone anymore. The SE is already a minor niche product across Apple's primary markets. The only reason for making a 5" phone would be nostalgia for a few thousand 40 year old men.
    A SE sized phone with a bezel-less screen would be an iPhone 5 with an iPhone 8 / SE2 sized screen.   That's would have been a win-win:  Small phone with a big screen.

ne4now76spock1234baconstangcornchipJWSC
  • Reply 26 of 138
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Iphone at the price of a watch. Should help push wearables sales too. FWIW one survey I saw put SE at 12 percent of desired model of iPhone purchase in US. That surprised me. It's hardly niche, especially considering ex US.
    spock1234JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 138
    Joer293Joer293 Posts: 29unconfirmed, member
    So, you think Apple released this in the USA at the exact timing of the stimulus checks was a coincidence? I'm honestly surprised that Apple hasn't released a $1,199 iMac to spend the $1,200 check on. The iPad's at $499 are priced exactly at the $500 per child stimulus. Anticipating that all parents will need buy Chromebooks or iPads for their children to continue school work this year.
    edited April 2020 williamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 138
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    This looks like an absolutely killer value. The chipset should keep it relevant for many, many yrs. 
    cornchipmagman1979StrangeDaysdewmeMisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 138
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Joer293 said:
    So, you think Apple released this in the USA at the exact timing of the stimulus checks was a coincidence?
    Yeah, probably. 

Do you think that Apple delayed or accelerated the launch of a product that has been in the pipeline for years, and probably had to struggle through a much disrupted supply chain the past few weeeks, solely because a single market that it sells to decided to provide some welfare for people who may be struggling to pay their rent?

Nah.
    cornchipElCapitanmuthuk_vanalingamspock1234baconstangStrangeDaysdewmeroundaboutnowmbenz1962watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 138
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,746member
    This was needed. It is a good move. It will be hit (and rightly so) with criticism on the design front (Apple will have to swallow that) but a new, modern specced, affordable iPhone was a must for lots of reasons. The price is the justification of design limitations in Apple’s view and that's acceptable.

It is clear that design wasn't at the top of the list here. 

In fact, on Apple’s Spanish web front page the onus is on one thing and one thing only: price
    muthuk_vanalingamspock1234
  • Reply 31 of 138
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    I'LL BUY THIS "IPHONE 8SE" ONLY AFTER THEY TAKE MY 128GB SE FROM MY COLD, DEAD HAND!!!

Well...maybe sooner...eventually (sigh) 
    cornchipBeatsspock1234baconstangMisterKit
  • Reply 32 of 138
    This is a perfect $399 phone. For those wanting a small footprint, full-screen iPhone the 5.4 inch iPhone 12 is for you. It will only be a bit larger than the original SE and smaller than the SE 2020. Apple will have something for everyone.
    webweaselwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 138
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,952member
    Hank2.0 said:
    I'LL BUY THIS "IPHONE 8SE" ONLY AFTER THEY TAKE MY 128GB SE FROM MY COLD, DEAD HAND!!!

Well...maybe sooner...eventually (sigh) 
    Yeah, I feel the same. Love my SE. But my wife’s 5s needs to be replaced. I’ll probably give her the SE & get a 256gb 7. Hopefully an update will fix the SE issues I’m having because wife would not put up with them. 

Really wish they woulda had the balls to keep the FF of the SE et al and put an edge to edge in it, but I understand why they didn’t. 
  • Reply 34 of 138
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    k2kw said:

I don’t think touchID is great,  wish it could read your fingerprints  through latex gloves.
    And I wish I could get a colonoscopy without being touched, but, you know, we live in the real physical world. 
    Rayz2016spock1234baconstangtokyojimucornchipTRAGMisterKitstompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 138
    pascal007pascal007 Posts: 118member
    Gobnu said:
    Expected, but still disappointing.  I was hoping they would pull off the surprise and have one in the original SE case with an A12 in it.  I would greatly miss the smaller size, and the flat edges.  Guess I'll have to take a look at the fall offerings.
    It has an A13, which is better than what you were hoping for : it's the latest processor available as of now
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 138
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Facebook did try the same thing, and pundits at the time made a big deal about how mini-app"bots" were going to take over and erase the App Store back in 2015-2016. That didn't happen. https://appleinsider.com/articles/16/07/10/apple-inc-and-the-bot-war-on-apps- And the story of WeChat doing the same in China was a tale already told a few years ago in 2017. It's been a story since 2011. Apple somehow still has an App Store in China. No doubt it would be larger without any competition of any kind, but this story seems overblown.
    Gobnu said:
    Do you imagine that Apple does not have the data needed to know what people want? If people were buying 5" iPhones, Apple would be selling them. Nobody wants a tiny phone anymore. The SE is already a minor niche product across Apple's primary markets. The only reason for making a 5" phone would be nostalgia for a few thousand 40 year old men.
    We over 40 folks need bigger/screen and fonts. Over 40 eyes catch up with us all unfortunately. 

I personally think the majority of people that want a smaller phone like this or the original SE 5s design are younger ( male or female )  with smaller hands and still good eyes  Haha  At least the people I personally know that had the SE fit this demo. 

spock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 138
    KBChicagoKBChicago Posts: 21unconfirmed, member
    And my son's 5th grade graduation present was announced by Apple, today.  This is the perfect phone for him to start with as he moves on to middle school/junior high.  He's been using an iPod touch as a starter.  It allows him to text and FaceTime.  He has a Relay for when he is out in public.  This is the perfect step up.
    BeatsGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 138
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    DAalseth said:
    That looks like a nice phone. I had an SE and it was great, I used it for three and a half years. I ended on moving up to an 11 a few months ago for the improved feature set, but I do miss the small size. Love the 11s big screen, but it was nice to be able to keep the phone in my jeans pocket.
    Are you using a bulky case ?  I use a clear MNML case on my 11 Pro Max and it fits comfortably in my front or rear slim fit jeans pockets.  

watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 138
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    zoetmb said:
    k2kw said:

And I wish I could get a colonoscopy without being touched, but, you know, we live in the real physical world. 

This will go down in history as one of the truly great slap-downs of the internet age.
    edited April 2020 pscooter63magman1979TRAGmontrosemacsMisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 138
    Man, I was soooo looking forward to this form factor.
    After all these years of the venerable, but hooky iPhone 5, it was time for a drastic reform and Apple did it. Again !
    It really took its time piloting this design (in iPhones 6...8) to ensure that it would really work - to be sure that the SE 2020 would not
    just be another lame model taken from the warehouses, but a classical reform to which Apple took every possible effort and talent remaining in its Design department - emptied after Joni’s demise.
    And here it is...the classical Joni phone. The definite form-factor that made Tim a Big Tim - and nobody can evade (if wanted or not...)