Apple unveils new iPhone SE priced at just $399

Comments

• Reply 61 of 138
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    avon b7 said:
    You are missing the goal here. Price. 

...it gives Apple a product that can be marketed to developing nations.
    Yeah, just one problem with that. World currencies have tanked against the USD thanks to Covid-19.

This is an $800 phone in New Zealand for example.
  • Reply 62 of 138
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    jcs2305 said:
    DAalseth said:
    That looks like a nice phone. I had an SE and it was great, I used it for three and a half years. I ended on moving up to an 11 a few months ago for the improved feature set, but I do miss the small size. Love the 11s big screen, but it was nice to be able to keep the phone in my jeans pocket.
    Are you using a bulky case ?  I use a clear MNML case on my 11 Pro Max and it fits comfortably in my front or rear slim fit jeans pockets.  

I have an Otter Symmetry case so it's not that bulky. It fits in my front jeans pocket, but I get nervous sitting or leaning up against something. It might be that I just got used to the SE. I had it in a belt holster at first too. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 138
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    k2kw said:
    wood1208 said:
    gatorguy said:
    wood1208 said:
    Apple done it again. Answer to critique but for users who can't let go Touch ID, At $399 price point, what not to like !!
    Recently it's been all about "OMG that FOREHEAD!" and "Geesh, what massive bezels, LOL". I suppose this newest iPhone escapes those complaints.
      something got to give to put well recognized Touch ID on front. Obviously, could shrink mm side bezels and may be bit from top/down area but with Touch ID, can't get rid of much. That is a reality of physical touch id in front.

I don’t think touchID is great,  wish it could read your fingerprints  through latex gloves.
    How well does FaceID work with a respirator on?
    cornchip
  • Reply 64 of 138
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Complaint on Twitter: people are unemployed!

then don’t buy it.

Might be a good replacement for my moms iPhone 6. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 138
    bengbeng Posts: 34member
    I have a 6 and a lousy ATT signal strength. Can’t do Facetime. Wonder if the new SE is more sensitive for weak signals.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 138
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    hentaiboy said:
    avon b7 said:
    You are missing the goal here. Price. 

...it gives Apple a product that can be marketed to developing nations.
    Yeah, just one problem with that. World currencies have tanked against the USD thanks to Covid-19.

This is an $800 phone in New Zealand for example.
    Yes. In some areas it could be an issue but the option is Apple's lowest priced new phone. The rest are just more expensive in relation to it and all other phones are impacted equally by currency fluctuations. 

Here in Spain it is 489€ (including a 21% sales tax). The XR is 709€.

In developing nations it will be the go-to model for many people that want an iPhone but whose finances fall way under the XR. 
  • Reply 67 of 138
    Great for school kids. I'll take 2.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 138
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    KBChicago said:
    And my son's 5th grade graduation present was announced by Apple, today.  This is the perfect phone for him to start with as he moves on to middle school/junior high.  He's been using an iPod touch as a starter.  It allows him to text and FaceTime.  He has a Relay for when he is out in public.  This is the perfect step up.

Make sure you get AppleCare with theft & loss protection!   You'll likely get to use it.   My grandson left his on a ride at Cedar Point a couple months after I got it for him!
    I'm sure he will enjoy it!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 138
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    ElCapitan said:
    Looks like a nice replacement for a 6s. No headphone jack though. 
    No, it has a headphone jack. A nice digital one. What it doesn’t have is a legacy analog-only jack. 
    Beatsspock1234mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 138
    As this is the same price as an iPhone8+ repair would cost (shattered back), it's definitely on my list of things to consider to "fix" my wife's phone...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 138
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    This iteration disappoints a lot of people including me. But it became clear that it wouldn't be an SE with updated tech, but an 8 with updated tech.

Apple could have made that phone that many of us wanted, but not at $399 to open. That was never going to happen. Apple isn't really in the loss leader business. Bigger than I want, but it is a pretty good deal. Apple is making it clear that this is more about price than tech.

It's dead, Jim. I very much doubt we'll ever see the likes of the original SE in size and form factor. I did get my hopes up with the new iPads going 'SE style'. Maybe in the fall we'll see a premium version that's smaller then this phone but overflowing with hi-test tech. But I'm not going to consider that. If it happens, it happens, which it won't.  

This new SE isn't what I wanted. But it's still a lot of phone for the money, and there're not many Apple products where that's so obvious. The SE is dead. Long live the SE.
    Beatsbaconstangentropys
  • Reply 72 of 138
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Beats said:
    So they're re-releasing iPhone 8? WTF? We're supposed to be excited about it? Why not just call it what it is: iPhone 9.

Seriously was it that hard to do Apple?
    What would they call the next one?
    StrangeDaysBeatsdoozydozen
  • Reply 73 of 138
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    So they went with the black face for the red one. I think it looks better than white.
    cornchipwebweaselwatto_cobra
  • Reply 74 of 138
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    So, they finally released it!

I'm liking the price!

I wish that it came in a few more color options, but that's just a minor, insignificant thing.

Overall, this phone looks great, especially for the price.

I'll be ordering one on the 17th for somebody I know.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 138
    jungmark said:
    Complaint on Twitter: people are unemployed!

then don’t buy it.

Might be a good replacement for my moms iPhone 6. 
    Yep, if somebody doesn't have a job or money, then don't buy it. Whining will get them nowhere.
    mike1watto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 76 of 138
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Beats said:
    So they're re-releasing iPhone 8? WTF? We're supposed to be excited about it? Why not just call it what it is: iPhone 9.

Seriously was it that hard to do Apple?
    Of course not, Photoshop is easy, plenty of people at Apple can do that.
    avon b7pscooter63StrangeDaysBeats
  • Reply 77 of 138
    crowley said:

Of course not, Photoshop is easy, plenty of people at Apple can do that.
    It's a stupid mock up anyway, because even if such a phone existed, you can be damn sure that it wouldn't cost $399
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 138
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    Th e best value there has ever been on an iPhone from Apple. Amazing phone for $399. But, can’t see any compelling reason to upgrade from my iPhone 7. Also, disappointed that the phone is so large. Primary need for me to upgrade my iPhone 7 is a smaller phone (the 7 is too big imho) and some significant new features over my 7. 
    Beatsbaconstang
  • Reply 79 of 138
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    macgui said:
    The SE is dead. Long live the SE.
    As a long-time SE owner (and 4S owner before that, an even smaller form factor), I grew impatient and went full-bore 11 Pro a little over a month ago.

The size/bulk delta barely moves the needle for me.  Both models fit equally well in my pant pockets.  I'm not in the habit of treating my phone roughly, so I got Apple's leather case for it (like my SE)... plenty of protection, just the right grip without a lot of bulk (e.g., Otter, etc.).

I moved some of my more-used icons lower in the screen layout, so as to maintain single-handedness as much as possible.  Other things just have to be double-handed, and I've grown accustomed to that.  I'm willing, because I really needed the larger screen; these eyes are not getting any sharper.

And yes, I would have been satisfied with an SE2... but I'm blown away by the 11 Pro (camera, display tech).  There's just something about a flagship.
    edited April 2020 webweaselBeatschristopher126asdasdspock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 138
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    gatorguy said:
    DAalseth said:
    That looks like a nice phone. I had an SE and it was great, I used it for three and a half years. I ended on moving up to an 11 a few months ago for the improved feature set, but I do miss the small size. Love the 11s big screen, but it was nice to be able to keep the phone in my jeans pocket.
    Is this a small phone ala the original? Could be, I've not seen the dimensions. 
    It is 4.7 versus the original SE which is 4 inches diagonal. If they had reduced the bezels and switched to facial recognition it seems like it could have fit into the original form factor. But that would have forced a higher price. I would have happily taken the higher price but this one is definitely my upgrade to my SE rather than any of the phablets that are the alternatives. (I’m fine with big screens. My 12.9” iPad Pro is great but I don’t have to fit it in my jeans pocket. Also, I want big larger iPad).
    watto_cobra