Apple employees with kids feel overworked despite internal support efforts

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2020
Apple in April promised to develop flexible work solutions for employees with children who are working from home during the COVID-19 pandemic, but a report on Thursday notes some parents are still feeling the pinch.

Apple Park

A number of Apple employees who recently spoke with CNET say they feel overtaxed as they adhere to work-from-home orders from the company.

More troubling are parents who say their jobs don't leave much wiggle room for childcare. Schools across the nation are closed due to the coronavirus crisis, leaving parents scrambling to find care for youngsters not old enough to take advantage of remote learning programs.

Apple attempted to avoid this very situation, as evidenced by a memo SVP of Retail and People Deirdre O'Brien sent out to employees in early April. At the time, O'Brien said the company was developing flexible work options that ensure parents "have the support and the flexibility to adjust their schedules as needed." The note also encouraged employees to express any potential conflicts with management.

Today's report notes Apple has increased communication between managers and employees since the outbreak began. Workers are urged to ask for additional accommodations, while managers have been told to proactively help those in need. That includes consolations for parents and caregivers who require time off to care for elderly family members.

It appears those measures are, at least for some, not enough. Still, the company is forging ahead toward a viable solution.

"No deadline is too important, and no priority is more urgent, than caring for our loved ones. Our goal is to be flexible, collaborative and accommodating of every parent and caregiver on our teams," Apple spokeswoman Kristin Huguet told CNET. "This is a trying time for everyone -- especially parents -- and we want to do all we can to support every member of our Apple family."

Apple's work-from-home initiative calls on corporate employees, including those based out of Apple Park and other facilities in the San Francisco Bay Area, to work remotely in a bid to halt the spread of the virus. Retail workers like Geniuses are also working remote, while retail employees who show signs of COVID-19 are being granted unlimited sick leave.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    As a former supervisor told me when I complained about company policies and customer service, “Be thankful you even have a job."

Fatmantrashman69zeus423mike1macbootxSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 45
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,104member
    Shut up and die for capitalism!!!
    dewmelkrupp
  • Reply 3 of 45
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Plenty of people willing to take their places. I worked for Apple way back ... to help them launch the Apple store ... would love to join them again! Difficult to get in, especially if not on the west coast ... but that may change.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Even someone who works an hour a day can feel "overworked" while at home with kids.

What the hell is Apple supposed to do, customize the work schedule SPECIFICALLY for every SINGLE employee, that is most ideal for their unique situation? I'm sure Apple is doing what they can based on reasonable limitations and requirements. 
    cgWerkstmaysteven n.bestkeptsecretrandominternetperson
  • Reply 5 of 45
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    They can always quit their jobs, if they think it's too much to handle.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    tyler82 said:
    Spoken like a true follower of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez who said that everyone should have a living wage income whether they want to work or not. Then there’s that old Soviet proverb, “They pretend to pay us and we pretend to work.”  You’re in good company.
    cgWerkscornchipsteven n.mike1razorpitSpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 45
    How is it different for Apple employees who are working from home with kids than it is for anybody else working from home with kids?

Despite not having to commute an hour each way my wife is putting in MORE hours working from home than when she goes to the office. Similar to Apple employees, she is in a global business and is constantly talking to people overseas, in Europe and Asia. 

Yes, having children while working from home presents different challenges. Those same challenges exist for most of the people she is communicating with day and night. People understand because they are living it, too. 
    cornchipDAalsethstompyrandominternetperson
  • Reply 8 of 45
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    There's a price for every decision we make. If you decide to have kids, you pay the price of your own decision, not someone else.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    slurpy said:
    Even someone who works an hour a day can feel "overworked" while at home with kids.

What the hell is Apple supposed to do, customize the work schedule SPECIFICALLY for every SINGLE employee, that is most ideal for their unique situation? I'm sure Apple is doing what they can based on reasonable limitations and requirements. 
    I think the better question is whether they've reduced the expectations (and by how much). Flexibility might not be enough.

Working from home can be quite a challenge, which some handle better than others (even IF the kids are at school). Throw in the whole family at home, and the whole game changes. What I hope doesn't get lost in this 'remote work experiment' is that remote work doesn't have to mean (in normal times) from home. Society would benefit a lot from remote work where groups of employees work in local spaces (rather than big commutes), or from spaces designed for remote-working. Home might work for some, if the home and environment is properly setup (for some), but if that doesn't work, hopefully we don't just decide to throw the idea out.

apple ][ said:
    They can always quit their jobs, if they think it's too much to handle.
    Nice. Everything gets disrupted... government orders everyone into a situation... and your solution is just 'deal with it?' It isn't like most of these people have just decided to become lazy.

lkrupp said:
    tyler82 said:
    Spoken like a true follower of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez who said that everyone should have a living wage income whether they want to work or not. Then there’s that old Soviet proverb, “They pretend to pay us and we pretend to work.”  You’re in good company.
    No doubt. I think some of these people need a few more years of reality under their belt. And, possibly a history lesson or two. Sheesh.

How is it different for Apple employees who are working from home with kids than it is for anybody else working from home with kids?
    Probably because Apple is one of those work-a-holic as lifestyle type companies. That just doesn't work unless you're single, or can off-load most of the normal family responsibilities. Too many companies are like that. Some of the smarter ones are starting to recognize the longer-term problems.

ihatescreennames said:
    Despite not having to commute an hour each way my wife is putting in MORE hours working from home than when she goes to the office.
    Yeah, that is certainly the case for some (my wife included). I'm working less hours, but feel more busy overall.
    I keep reading posts by bored people, and thinking... I haven't been bored since I was like 10 years old. If it weren't for the money, I'd love me at least a couple months of quarantine!!!
    steven n.hattigrazorpit
  • Reply 10 of 45
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,952member
    lkrupp said:
    As a former supervisor told me when I complained about company policies and customer service, “Be thankful you even have a job."

I’ve heard that one before.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,787member

Despite not having to commute an hour each way my wife is putting in MORE hours working from home than when she goes to the office. Similar to Apple employees, she is in a global business and is constantly talking to people overseas, in Europe and Asia. 

Yes, having children while working from home presents different challenges. Those same challenges exist for most of the people she is communicating with day and night. People understand because they are living it, too. 
    Exactly. This story is about Apple employees, but it could apply to EVERY parent trying to juggle young kids and work from home. Apple is no better or worse than any other company. Not to lay the blame at corporate feet either. This is a rough situation all over. Everyone at every level is just trying to do the best they can.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

I’m mixed. Some days I’ll do 12 hours others 3-4. I’m on a team of 1 and I miss the small amount of collaboration of going into our small office. 

I don’t miss the 2 hours a day in the car but when I have to go in to pick up a delivery, the 35 minute no traffic commute is a god send.

i find I don’t speed and drive so much nicer when not in stop and go and sprint to a stop traffic.

I'm impressed I was sent home with a full SatCom test station. 
  • Reply 13 of 45
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 244member
    I'm sure everyone will be happy to ship their kids back to school so the teachers can have all the fun everyday. Next time a teacher calls and says, "Do you know what your kid did today?" no one will be surprised.
    hattigDAalseth
  • Reply 14 of 45
    Okay, doctors, nurses, first responders, healthcare workers are overworked, NOT Apple employees working at home. All this article has done is make Apple employees look like mewling quims (thank you, Loki). 
  • Reply 15 of 45
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    It takes time to adjust to the work and parental responsibilities. I don't know why anyone would expect working from home would be stress-free.

From my perspective, this is not a story. This is just normal life. 

And to expect anyone to learn how to work from home and parent at the same time in just a month is not being realistic. 

When my daughter came along, it took us two years to get it and settle into a routine we were comfortable with. Mileage might vary for others, but the effort is not trivial. And the routine that works for one period of time, needs modification during the next childhood era. 

I have no sympathy for the Apple folks. I understand what they are going through -- join the club. 
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 16 of 45
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    lkrupp said:
    Okay, doctors, nurses, first responders, healthcare workers are overworked, NOT Apple employees working at home. All this article has done is make Apple employees look like mewling quims (thank you, Loki). 
    I so agree with you here. Seriously, screw these pansy Apple workers complaining. Doctors, nurses and more are literally RISKING THEIR LIVES every time they go to work for over 13 hours a day as they see people die right in front of them. They have no right to complain. 
  • Reply 17 of 45
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    My reply to cgWerks: That's the point. Their situation is hardly unique. Almost everybody is working from home. It's not like they're on the frontlines in ERs working double shifts.

And unless they plan on murdering their children, then I suppose they'll just have to deal with it. It's not really my concern.

edited April 2020
  • Reply 18 of 45
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    apple ][ said:
    My reply to cgWerks: That's the point. Their situation is hardly unique. Almost everybody is working from home. It's not like they're on the frontlines in ERs working double shifts.

And unless they plan on murdering their children, then I suppose they'll just have to deal with it. It's not really my concern.

Well, yes, I suppose they will, just like the rest of us. My point was more that employers with people working from home, while trying to home-school their kids, need to lower the productivity expectations a good bit.
    re: healthcare workers - I'm not sure about in the USA, but at least here, some help seems to be given to health-care workers in terms of child-care.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Apple should lead by example by installing ionizers like those that RGF.com sells in all their corporate HVAC facilities which help kill pathogens! I have the consumer version of the RGF product called Reme Halo and every little bit helps. At some point soon people are going to come back to physical work!
  • Reply 20 of 45
    This is what happens when you increase the hiring of women.

i know it’s a crappy thing to say....but the truth often is.
    You obviously aren't married. Husbands have as much of a responsibility for kids as wives do. Being a woman has nothing to do with it.
    hattigStrangeDays