US could hit Russia with export rule that killed Huawei, banning US tech

Comments

• Reply 41 of 193
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,345member
    tmay said:
    ...  it does not seem like anybody understands russians or Putin.
    ... Or wants to.

Pretty easy to see that Putin is a dictator, with designs on his neighbors, something that NATO was set up to prevent. Too late for Ukraine, possibly, but Finland and Sweden joining NATO, a likelihood now, is going to impinge on Kalingrad's security. 

I probably didn't mention that Finland bought 60 some F-35's, and Switzerland bought some as well. Not seeing any SU-57 in any operating squadrons in Russia, and maybe about 15 produced in total. Sad.

Number of F-35's, of all types, built to date;

https://www.airforcemag.com/f-35-production-set-156-per-year-until-completion/

700 built through September of 2021, with production for 2022 to be 156 per year.

You should not base your foreign policy on another country's form of government.  It's literally none of your business -- not to mention foolish.

You think Finland is going to take on Russia -- and the EU will join them?   Really?
    Reading comprehension; you should try it. 

Finland and Sweden are almost certain to join NATO after Putin's invasion, and with both of those countries in NATO, Russia's western flank will be almost all NATO. I'm guessing that is not the result that Putin was actually attempting to achieve.

edited February 2022 Japheyqwerty52
  • Reply 42 of 193
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    ... Stupid.   Very, very stupid.
    The post above is chock full of misinformation.
    Given the many times that I have countered George since he has been here, I'll spare you the details. Do your own searches on the details.
    It's actually entertaining whenever GBM speaks. I always wonder how he's going to defend brutal dictatorships, and he always manages. I would like to have seen him defend the dictatorships back around 1940.

I wish websites like this would have a way we could block certain users from being seen by us. I know a few people would block me, but I think GBM would take top spot.

I don;t defend "brutal dictatorships".
    But I do object to instigating totally unnecessary wars.

All we have to do is guarantee that NATO will not threaten Russia by moving into (another of) its neighbor(s).
    But, we instead favor war.   Economic war (at least for us).  But still, war.

Who is going to pay for this war of ours?   As usual, it will be us.

But, I am sorry if the truth does not support your war mongering imperialism.  Perhaps it is YOU that should be blocked?
    https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/china/2022-02-21/chinas-ukraine-crisis?utm_campaign=tw_daily_soc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_posts

The Ukraine crisis is primarily a standoff between Russia and the West, but off to the side, another player stands awkwardly: China. Beijing has tried to walk a fine line on Ukraine. On one hand, it has taken Russia’s side, blaming NATO expansion for causing the crisis and alleging that U.S. predictions of an imminent invasion are aggravating it. On the other hand, especially as the risk of military conflict has grown, it has called for diplomacy over war. 

If Beijing had its way, it would maintain strong ties with Moscow, safeguard its trade relationship with Ukraine, keep the EU in its economic orbit, and avoid the spillover from U.S. and EU sanctions on Moscow—all while preventing relations with the United States from significantly deteriorating. Securing any one of these objectives may well be possible. Achieving all of them is not. 

If Russia invades Ukraine, Beijing could throw Moscow a lifeline: economic relief to alleviate the effect of U.S. sanctions. But doing so would damage Chinese relations with Europe, invite severe repercussions from Washington, and drive traditionally nonaligned countries such as India further into the arms of the West. If Beijing snubs Moscow, by contrast, it may weaken its closest strategic partnership at a time when, given deteriorating security in Asia, it is most in need of outside help.

China should throw Russia under the bus, because Russia is already a failed state, and it wouldn't take much for it to collapse yet again. Might as well give it a push.

We are pushing Russia and China (and a few others) together. 
    We are falling back on our last bullet:  financial sanctions  -- and we not using it wisely.   Soon they will have a work-around (actually, they probably already do).

We should have settled this while we could.
    As all of you know, I rarely agree with George. But in the above statement he is absolutely right.  The bombastic antagonism we have we heard coming from the US and UK has only exacerbated an already tense situation. We are pushing our adversaries together while implementing ineffective policies.

It was not inevitable that Putin would choose to invade. But from a political standpoint we pushed him into it. We armed and provided intelligence to an adversarial government along their border. We advocated that the Ukraine stand it’s ground and attempt to regain control of the Russian language dominated regions. In doing so we provided political ammunition to Putin to make the case to the Russian people that Ukraine was a threat. It’s a spectacular fail.

And why should we care about a spat between two kleptocratic regimes that could care less about their own citizens.  All we have done is help to fan the flames of war, sans evidence (you just have to trust us - right), which will end up getting those caught in the middle killed. If two decades of intelligence failure isn’t enough to teach us to beware of government spokespeople, I don’t know what is.
    GeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 43 of 193
    JWSC said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    Given the many times that I have countered George since he has been here, I'll spare you the details. Do your own searches on the details.
    It's actually entertaining whenever GBM speaks. I always wonder how he's going to defend brutal dictatorships, and he always manages. I would like to have seen him defend the dictatorships back around 1940.

I wish websites like this would have a way we could block certain users from being seen by us. I know a few people would block me, but I think GBM would take top spot.

All we have to do is guarantee that NATO will not threaten Russia by moving into (another of) its neighbor(s).

But, I am sorry if the truth does not support your war mongering imperialism.  Perhaps it is YOU that should be blocked?
    https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/china/2022-02-21/chinas-ukraine-crisis?utm_campaign=tw_daily_soc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_posts

The Ukraine crisis is primarily a standoff between Russia and the West, but off to the side, another player stands awkwardly: China. Beijing has tried to walk a fine line on Ukraine. On one hand, it has taken Russia’s side, blaming NATO expansion for causing the crisis and alleging that U.S. predictions of an imminent invasion are aggravating it. On the other hand, especially as the risk of military conflict has grown, it has called for diplomacy over war. 

If Beijing had its way, it would maintain strong ties with Moscow, safeguard its trade relationship with Ukraine, keep the EU in its economic orbit, and avoid the spillover from U.S. and EU sanctions on Moscow—all while preventing relations with the United States from significantly deteriorating. Securing any one of these objectives may well be possible. Achieving all of them is not. 

If Russia invades Ukraine, Beijing could throw Moscow a lifeline: economic relief to alleviate the effect of U.S. sanctions. But doing so would damage Chinese relations with Europe, invite severe repercussions from Washington, and drive traditionally nonaligned countries such as India further into the arms of the West. If Beijing snubs Moscow, by contrast, it may weaken its closest strategic partnership at a time when, given deteriorating security in Asia, it is most in need of outside help.

China should throw Russia under the bus, because Russia is already a failed state, and it wouldn't take much for it to collapse yet again. Might as well give it a push.

We are falling back on our last bullet:  financial sanctions  -- and we not using it wisely.   Soon they will have a work-around (actually, they probably already do).

As all of you know, I rarely agree with George. But in the above statement he is absolutely right.  The bombastic antagonism we have we heard coming from the US and UK has only exacerbated an already tense situation. We are pushing our adversaries together while implementing ineffective policies.

It was not inevitable that Putin would choose to invade. But from a political standpoint we pushed him into it. We armed and provided intelligence to an adversarial government along their border. We advocated that the Ukraine stand it’s ground and attempt to regain control of the Russian language dominated regions. In doing so we provided political ammunition to Putin to make the case to the Russian people that Ukraine was a threat. It’s a spectacular fail.

And why should we care about a spat between two kleptocratic regimes that could care less about their own citizens.  All we have done is help to fan the flames of war, sans evidence (you just have to trust us - right), which will end up getting those caught in the middle killed. If two decades of intelligence failure isn’t enough to teach us to beware of government spokespeople, I don’t know what is.
    None of what you stated is accurate, but please, keep digging.

This whole "the West made Putin do it" meme is complete and utter bullshit.

Guess what Russia was doing up until yesterday in those "Russian Language Dominated regions"? Did you guess false flag operations that were so poorly thought out, that the video's that were posted became the evidence of the false flag operations. 

https://www.jpost.com/international/article-698132

Pro-Russia forces commit 'false flag' op, shelling from civilian areas - Ukraine MoD

"In the absence of any aggressive action by Ukrainian defenders, the invaders themselves blow up infrastructure facilities in the occupied territories and carry out chaotic shelling of settlements."

Oh yeah, the West made them do that...
    qwerty52
  • Reply 44 of 193
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:

Well, evidently it is being settled, as we speak, and I would love Russia and China being forced together, with the end result that the U.S., EU, NATO, and our Indo-Pacific Allies are all on the same page in containing both countries.

How cool would that be!

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/2/22/2081709/-Russia-s-economy-can-t-handle-a-war-but-Putin-can-t-handle-the-Russian-economy

It won't be "both countries".   It will be a world wide cold war.   Again.
    Anybody who wants that is a fool.

The first one was created and fed by Russia trying to propagate communism around the world.
    They openly admitted that.
    This one will be created and fed by the U.S. trying to propagate democracy around the world.
    We openly admit that.

It doesn't matter who does it:  Either way the world suffers.

Putin started this latest conflict, and the West will have to finish it.

China can step out of the way, throw Russia under the bus, or double down on its authoritarian alliance. Either way, Putin is dealing with a hell of a large body of countries that are economically much more powerful than Russia, and are now working together against Putin.
    !4,000 people died since 2014. May be this is the reason Putin did?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/21/donetsk-and-lugansk-heres-what-we-know-about-rebel-regions
    JWSCcat52
  • Reply 45 of 193
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    tmay said:
    JWSC said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:

Guess what Russia was doing up until yesterday in those "Russian Language Dominated regions"? Did you guess false flag operations that were so poorly thought out, that the video's that were posted became the evidence of the false flag operations. 

Pro-Russia forces commit 'false flag' op, shelling from civilian areas - Ukraine MoD

"In the absence of any aggressive action by Ukrainian defenders, the invaders themselves blow up infrastructure facilities in the occupied territories and carry out chaotic shelling of settlements."

Perhaps you are aware that Russia, the Ukraine, the US and the UK are waging vociferous disinformation campaigns through their various media mouthpieces.  At this point I trust the NYT or WaPo no more than TASS.  They all repeat what their government contacts tell them without doing any independent investigation.

I listened to the translated version of Putin's speech.  With his focus on history (from the Russian perspective) he is clearly preparing the Russian people for some action on the ground.  Regardless of who's history you believe, Ukrainian and Russian history are intertwined (often in blood).  Our experience in Iraq and Afghanistan should teach us not to be meddling with things we do not fully understand.  We're not helping them.  We're not helping ourselves.
    GeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFellercat52
  • Reply 46 of 193
    JWSC said:
    tmay said:
    JWSC said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:

Perhaps you are aware that Russia, the Ukraine, the US and the UK are waging vociferous disinformation campaigns through their various media mouthpieces.  At this point I trust the NYT or WaPo no more than TASS.  They all repeat what their government contacts tell them without doing any independent investigation.

I listened to the translated version of Putin's speech.  With his focus on history (from the Russian perspective) he is clearly preparing the Russian people for some action on the ground.  Regardless of who's history you believe, Ukrainian and Russian history are intertwined (often in blood).  Our experience in Iraq and Afghanistan should teach us not to be meddling with things we do not fully understand.  We're not helping them.  We're not helping ourselves.
    What I understand is that Russia doesn't have a free press, so when you discount NYT or WaPo as "no more than TASS", you are being disingenuous. 
    "TASS is registered as a Federal State Unitary Enterprise, owned by the Government of Russia. Headquartered in Moscow, TASS has 70 offices in Russia and in the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS), as well as 68 bureaus around the world."

If that is your level of critical thinking, then of course you aren't understanding what is actually happening, and why. More to the point, I don't see why the U.S. helping Ukraine is a problem, given that it is Russia that is in violation of Ukraine's territory. It is also the case that Russia is a failed state, and Ukraine was on its way to becoming a useful and democratic partner in the EU, albeit in about 10 years. More to the point, the people of Ukraine are in the majority to maintain their independence of Russia. 

That you and George are so willing to throw a democracy to its demise is despicable, but there you are, advocating for that.

edited February 2022 9secondkox2qwerty52
  • Reply 47 of 193
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:

Well, evidently it is being settled, as we speak, and I would love Russia and China being forced together, with the end result that the U.S., EU, NATO, and our Indo-Pacific Allies are all on the same page in containing both countries.

How cool would that be!

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/2/22/2081709/-Russia-s-economy-can-t-handle-a-war-but-Putin-can-t-handle-the-Russian-economy

The first one was created and fed by Russia trying to propagate communism around the world.
    This one will be created and fed by the U.S. trying to propagate democracy around the world.
    We openly admit that.

China can step out of the way, throw Russia under the bus, or double down on its authoritarian alliance. Either way, Putin is dealing with a hell of a large body of countries that are economically much more powerful than Russia, and are now working together against Putin.

Nope!  Hillary started this conflict when she promised Ukraine a membership in NATO if they sided with us against Russia.

She must have forgotten that countries don't like it when you put missiles on their border aimed at them.

This coalition?  Let's see how the EU feels when their houses start getting cold (or us when we're paying $4+ dollars for gas).  Most of them have been saying:  let's not go there.  Yes, they'll placate us.  To a point.  But, they won't get sucked into another Iraq war.

You seem to think we are all powerful and can push whomever we want around. Hopefully Biden knows better.
    edited February 2022 9secondkox2
  • Reply 48 of 193
    tmay said:
    JWSC said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:

It's the Cuban missile Crisis in reverse.   Except this time the antagonist didn't back down.
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 49 of 193
    JWSC said:
    tmay said:
    JWSC said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:

I seem to remember playing this game once before, not too long ago.
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 50 of 193
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:

How cool would that be!

We openly admit that.

Nope!  Hillary started this conflict when she promised Ukraine a membership in NATO if they sided with us against Russia.

She must have forgotten that countries don't like it when you put missiles on their border aimed at them.

This coalition?  Let's see how the EU feels when their houses start getting cold (or us when we're paying $4+ dollars for gas).  Most of them have been saying:  let's not go there.  Yes, they'll placate us.  To a point.  But, they won't get sucked into another Iraq war.

You seem to think we are all powerful and can push whomever we want around. Hopefully Biden knows better.
    Of course, you didn't state the facts; Hillary never promised Ukraine membership.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has said that the door to Nato remains open for Ukraine. 

Speaking after arriving in the capital, Kiev, she said Ukraine had the right to choose its own alliances.

She will travel to Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan on a tour of former Soviet states, as well as visiting Poland.

The trip, announced over a month ago, is intended to reaffirm relations with ex-Soviet states, after a renewal of ties between Washington and Moscow.

You obviously don't understand how membership to NATO works. Secretary of State Clinton could have advised Ukraine to seek NATO membership, sure, but it is up to NATO to allow that, not Secretary of State Clinton. Either way, Ukraine is not qualified to apply, yet anyway.

https://www.journalofdemocracy.org/what-putin-fears-most/

In a very clear pattern, Moscow’s complaints about NATO spike after democratic breakthroughs. While the tragic invasions and occupations of Georgia and Ukraine have secured Putin a de facto veto over their NATO aspirations, since the alliance would never admit a country under partial occupation by Russian forces, this fact undermines Putin’s claim that the current invasion is aimed at NATO membership.

You seem to think that the people of the EU, NATO, and the Indo-Pacific have no interest in seeing a nascent democracy survive invasion by a brutal authoritarian power. Biden isn't going to budge on Ukraine independence.

My own opinion is that Russia can't have a working democracy on its border; the contrast between success and failures would be obvious.

But U.S.-Russian relations deteriorated ever further in 2014, again because of new democratic expansion. The next democratic mobilization to threaten Putin happened a second time in Ukraine in 2013–14. After the Orange Revolution in 2004, Putin did not invade Ukraine, but wielded other instruments of influence to help his protégé, Viktor Yanukovych, narrowly win the Ukrainian presidencysix years later. Yanukovych, however, turned out not to be a loyal Kremlin servant, but tried to cultivate ties with both Russia and the West. Putin finally compelled Yanukovych to make a choice, and the Ukrainian president chose Russia in the fall of 2013 when he reneged on signing an EU association agreement in favor of membership in Russia’s Eurasian Economic Union.

To the surprise of everyone in Moscow, Kyiv, Brussels, and Washington, Yanukovych’s decision to scuttle this agreement with the EU triggered mass demonstrations in Ukraine again, bringing hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians into the streets in what would become known as the Euromaidan or “Revolution of Dignity” to protest Yanukovych’s turn away from the democratic West. The street protests lasted several weeks, punctuated by the killing of dozens of peaceful protestors by Yanukovych’s government, the eventual collapse of that government and Yanukovych’s flight to Russia in February 2014, and a new pro-Western government taking power in Kyiv. Putin had “lost” Ukraine for the second time in a decade.

"Wanna end the invasion?", "Offer every Russian soldier defecting, citizenship in the EU"

Yeah, because Russia is a failed state, of course people want what the EU provides; a better life.
  • Reply 51 of 193
    JWSC said:
    tmay said:
    JWSC said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:

I seem to remember playing this game once before, not too long ago.
    I follow a lot of different independent journalists, from many different countries. Guess what I found out?

Excepting authoritarians, no on likes Putin. Given that Russian citizens don't really have a choice, it's hard to imagine anyone liking Putin at all. Go figure.
    9secondkox2qwerty52
  • Reply 52 of 193
    tmay said:
    JWSC said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:

It's the Cuban missile Crisis in reverse.   Except this time the antagonist didn't back down.
    Actually, I think that the U.S. was the protagonist in the Cuban Missle Crisis, not the antagonist, so there's that, but yeah, that would make Russia the antagonist yet again, and you are correct. This time they didn't back down.

How wonderful for you, not so good for Russia or Ukraine.

• Reply 53 of 193
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    Weak. 

Gotta love the pundits Talking up this cop out like it’s something amazing. 

America is supposed to be the international policeman. Walking softly but carrying a big stick to use when necessary. 

Instead of defending freedom, we stand by and watch it crushed while shaking dollar signs the the bad guys with missiles. 

Putin has China as an ally and Russia counterfeits American goods anyway. This isn’t going to do squat unfortunately. 

Sanctions suck. Go and do some good in the world. Add the sanctions to that. 

You let a bully beat up other kids and he just gets worse. Not looking good. 

God help Ukraine. 

Ukraine had 20 years before Putin to get their corrupt selves together they didn’t, see Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania for a lesson on how it’s done….They thought they were special….
    edited February 2022 JWSC
  • Reply 54 of 193
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Can we ask Russian troops as
    Peacekeepers  in our southern border??
    The Russian military are only good at killing civilians, couldn’t even beat Finland or Japan in a actual war, only after World War 2, they took land back with our blessing….
    edited February 2022 qwerty52
  • Reply 55 of 193
    danox said:
    Weak. 

America is supposed to be the international policeman. Walking softly but carrying a big stick to use when necessary. 

Instead of defending freedom, we stand by and watch it crushed while shaking dollar signs the the bad guys with missiles. 

Putin has China as an ally and Russia counterfeits American goods anyway. This isn’t going to do squat unfortunately. 

God help Ukraine. 

Ukraine had 20 years before Putin to get their corrupt selves together they didn’t, see Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania for a lesson on how it’s done….They thought they were special….
    I'll repost this;

To the surprise of everyone in Moscow, Kyiv, Brussels, and Washington, Yanukovych’s decision to scuttle this agreement with the EU triggered mass demonstrations in Ukraine again, bringing hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians into the streets in what would become known as the Euromaidan or “Revolution of Dignity” to protest Yanukovych’s turn away from the democratic West. The street protests lasted several weeks, punctuated by the killing of dozens of peaceful protestors by Yanukovych’s government, the eventual collapse of that government and Yanukovych’s flight to Russia in February 2014, and a new pro-Western government taking power in Kyiv. Putin had “lost” Ukraine for the second time in a decade.
    Yeah, having that shot at democracy in 2014 hasn't worked out perfectly, but it is evident that Ukraine wants to succeed. Putin can't allow that, hence, the invasion.
    edited February 2022 qwerty52
  • Reply 56 of 193
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    tmay said:
    danox said:
    Weak. 

God help Ukraine. 

I'll repost this;

Yeah, having that shot at democracy in 2014 hasn't worked out perfectly, but it is evident that Ukraine wants to succeed. Putin can't allow that, hence, the invasion.
    Putin has succeeded in further dividing the US and helping diminish us as a beacon for democracy, so he is attempting to use this moment in time to make his move. 
    tmayJapheyqwerty52
  • Reply 57 of 193
    Biden said very clearly the real difference between Russia and the West is freedom. Freedom overrides everything. Russia tries to suppress freedom to solve internal conflicts. This is the ultimate issue. Can both sides solve it? 
    qwerty52
  • Reply 58 of 193
    genovelle said:
    tmay said:
    danox said:
    Weak. 

God help Ukraine. 

I'll repost this;

Putin has succeeded in further dividing the US and helping diminish us as a beacon for democracy, so he is attempting to use this moment in time to make his move. 
    I agree with that, but it is also accurate to state that he was trained for that.
    qwerty52
  • Reply 59 of 193
    genovelle said:
    tmay said:
    danox said:
    Weak. 

God help Ukraine. 

I'll repost this;

When you have a President who's foreign policy has been a complete disaster, it makes sense Putin would make his move for Ukraine. Putin is essentially playing chess while Biden is playing checkers. Putin was probably laughing histerically as Biden announced the sanctions that will do nothing to stop Russia. 
    cat52
  • Reply 60 of 193
    tmay said:
    danox said:
    Weak. 

God help Ukraine. 

I'll repost this;

The documentary on Netflix about that was really good.
    Japhey