EU hits back at Apple withholding Apple Intelligence from the region

Comments

• Reply 21 of 190
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,386member
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

"Specifically, we are concerned that the interoperability requirements of the DMA could force us to compromise the integrity of our products in ways that risk user privacy and data security," said Apple. "We are committed to collaborating with the European Commission in an attempt to find a solution that would enable us to deliver these features to our EU customers without compromising their safety."

And then this:

"From previous statements including ones to AppleInsider, it's known that Apple has been continually working with the EU on its responses to the DMA, so it's reasonable to assume that will continue.

Leads to the question: Why even bother putting the subject into the public domain if communication and clarification are ongoing? 

Far better to say as little as possible until things are clarified. All it takes is clarification and all for a roll out that isn't even planned for this year! 

Basically FUD on Apple's part and Vestager has a valid point in her response to a question that wouldn't have been asked if it weren't for Apple. 

Basically FUD on the part of EU-loving commenters. Apple has a right to provide whatever capabilities it wants to in whatever country/region it wants to. You're buying a product with certain features. There's nothing that says Apple has to provide the EU with everything it has the capability of including. The EU can demand Apple provide everything but that's not the way companies work. This is a brand new Apple capability and Apple has the right to provide it when they feel it's ready, not when a corrupt EU demands it. At this point, I feel Apple is well within its rights to start charging for features in countries it wants to. As far as I'm concerned, Apple should start charging for macOS, iOS, tvOS, iPadOS along with every Apple app and feature it wants to. I'd like to see the EU try and force Apple to provide everything for free. It isn't going to happen.
    Vestager is not suggesting that Apple needs to deliver AI features to EU users. What she notes is that Apple's statement seems to imply they are not anxious to offer features where competition will be required. Not that it matters in the real world since Apple isn't rolling out some of those features this fall outside of the US and in English anyway, correct? If so, why did Apple say anything at all? My sense is it's a negotiating tactic.
    edited June 28 muthuk_vanalingamspheric
  • Reply 22 of 190
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,024member
    avon b7 said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

"Specifically, we are concerned that the interoperability requirements of the DMA could force us to compromise the integrity of our products in ways that risk user privacy and data security," said Apple. "We are committed to collaborating with the European Commission in an attempt to find a solution that would enable us to deliver these features to our EU customers without compromising their safety."

And then this:

"From previous statements including ones to AppleInsider, it's known that Apple has been continually working with the EU on its responses to the DMA, so it's reasonable to assume that will continue.

Leads to the question: Why even bother putting the subject into the public domain if communication and clarification are ongoing? 

Far better to say as little as possible until things are clarified. All it takes is clarification and all for a roll out that isn't even planned for this year! 

Basically FUD on Apple's part and Vestager has a valid point in her response to a question that wouldn't have been asked if it weren't for Apple. 

Basically FUD on the part of EU-loving commenters. Apple has a right to provide whatever capabilities it wants to in whatever country/region it wants to. You're buying a product with certain features. There's nothing that says Apple has to provide the EU with everything it has the capability of including. The EU can demand Apple provide everything but that's not the way companies work. This is a brand new Apple capability and Apple has the right to provide it when they feel it's ready, not when a corrupt EU demands it. At this point, I feel Apple is well within its rights to start charging for features in countries it wants to. As far as I'm concerned, Apple should start charging for macOS, iOS, tvOS, iPadOS along with every Apple app and feature it wants to. I'd like to see the EU try and force Apple to provide everything for free. It isn't going to happen.
    No one is disputing Apple's right to bring or not bring certain features to the EU. That is up to them and is irrelevant here. 

The point is 'making a meal out of something' and putting it down to the DMA even when Apple itself claims it's in contact with the EU on the subject and also claims not to know what is possible or not. 

It's all completely unnecessary on Apple's part. Why not simply ask the EU and wait for a reply? 
    Apple is an enormous company with billions of users and one of the high market capitalizations in the world. It is likely incumbent on them to announce this interim intention as it may impact financial results or investor opinion/analysis of the company. If Craig Federighi loses a single hair from his mane, Apple may make it public....
    danoxAzzjas99radarthekat
  • Reply 23 of 190
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,024member
    gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

Vestager is not suggesting that Apple needs to deliver AI features to EU users. What she notes is that Apple's statement seems to imply they are not anxious to offer features where competition will be required. Not that it matters in the real world since Apple isn't rolling out some of those features this fall outside of the US and in English anyway, correct? If so, why did Apple say anything at all? My sense is it's a negotiating tactic.
    Apple could care less about straight and fair competition. The EU is mandating nothing of the sort. It is forcing them to aide and abet competitors to sell within its IP boundaries, mandate that it has to happen, determine if they can charge or how much they charge for the ability to do so. Its a virus-level intrusion to an alarming level.

The EU is forcing Apple to permit Spotify or others to be able to essentially market/sell their service on Apple devices, with no (or ill-defined), externally-controlled compensation to Apple. Apple is not a market. It is a product and service provider that sells into markets than consumers can choose to buy or not based on how they go to market.

Will Apple be able to freely promote and sell Apple Music within the Spotify app and website?

edited June 28 lotonestimpetusJMStearnsX2thtradarthekatssfe11
  • Reply 24 of 190
    longfanglongfang Posts: 492member
    gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

So what if it’s a negotiating tactic. That the EU seems to be getting its panties in a twist would suggest that if it is a tactic, it’s working.  
    radarthekat
  • Reply 25 of 190
    thrang said:
    gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

Apple could care less about straight and fair competition. The EU is mandating nothing of the sort. It is forcing them to aide and abet competitors to sell within its IP boundaries, mandate that it has to happen, determine if they can charge or how much they charge for the ability to do so. Its a virus-level intrusion to an alarming level.

Apple is not the only tech required to abide by the DMA as a condition of selling in the EU market. They are not being singled out with rules that apply only to them.
    muthuk_vanalingamspheric
  • Reply 26 of 190
    AzzAzz Posts: 2member
    avon b7 said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

No one is disputing Apple's right to bring or not bring certain features to the EU. That is up to them and is irrelevant here. 

The point is 'making a meal out of something' and putting it down to the DMA even when Apple itself claims it's in contact with the EU on the subject and also claims not to know what is possible or not. 

It's all completely unnecessary on Apple's part. Why not simply ask the EU and wait for a reply? 

This Monday Apple released iOS 18 beta with two features iPhone Mirroring and Screen Sharing. So they’ve to announce it. 
    By the way Benedict Evans has coined a really nice new term. EU Fanboys. Liked it? 
    :wink: 
    edited June 28 radarthekat
  • Reply 27 of 190
    thrang said:
    gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

Will Apple be able to freely promote and sell Apple Music within the Spotify app and website?

Well of course they can. I wasn't aware Apple had their own label music, but assume they do. If Apple wants to sell Apple Music content on Spotify per licensing requirements, what prevents it as long as they're willing to share part of the music revenue with Spotify? And If Spotify has their own labeled music catalog then they too could offer it within Apple Music in exchange for a cut of the revenue from it.
    spheric
  • Reply 28 of 190
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,919member
    gatorguy said:
    thrang said:
    gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

Apple is not the only tech required to abide by the DMA as a condition of selling in the EU market. They are not being singled out with rules that apply only to them.
    Remind me, which EU companies have been ruled gatekeepers?
    jas99radarthekatJaiOh81AnObserver
  • Reply 29 of 190
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,091member
    That didn't take long when does Mistral get their EU spot on Apple devices?
    edited June 28
  • Reply 30 of 190
    gatorguy said:
    thrang said:
    gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

Well of course they can. I wasn't aware Apple had their own label music, but assume they do. If Apple wants to sell Apple Music content on Spotify per licensing requirements, what prevents it as long as they're willing to share part of the music revenue with Spotify? And If Spotify has their own labeled music catalog then they too could offer it within Apple Music in exchange for a cut of the revenue from it.

But Spotify won't give that spot away for free? :smile: 
    jas99
  • Reply 31 of 190

gatorguy said:
    thrang said:
    gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

Ha..Ha..Ha...... :smile: 
    timpetus
  • Reply 32 of 190
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 246member
    Apple has been making some horrible legal and public declarations lately. They are acting like they are a king. This is going to come back to bite them hard. 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingampscooter63spheric
  • Reply 33 of 190

gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

When Apple delivers those features if at all is up to them this is just the start of different Apple devices for different parts of the world guest who going to get the best parts in world it won't be the EU..... This is just the start divergence into tech delay in the EU no different to high speed rail delay in the United States.
    edited June 28
  • Reply 34 of 190
    gatorguy said:
    thrang said:
    gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

None as far as i know, but which EU company has a rich closed or semi-closed ecosystem of first-party services which might be artificially preventing competition, Name a specific one and then any discussion yo want to have might have relevance. 
    muthuk_vanalingamkiltedgreenspheric
  • Reply 35 of 190
    danox said:
    gatorguy said:
    thrang said:
    gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

danox said:
    gatorguy said:
    thrang said:
    gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

You mean Spotify won't pay the artist and/or label, we'll assume Apple is one, for the licensed music? Of course they would.
    edited June 28 spheric
  • Reply 36 of 190
    danox said:

gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

When Apple delivers those features if at all is up to them this is just the start of different Apple devices for different parts of the world guest who going to get the best parts in world it won't be the EU..... 
    While not necessarily the start since they already have "special" Chinese versions of their products, I generally agree with you. 
  • Reply 37 of 190
    danox said:
    That didn't take long when does Mistral get there EU spot on Apple devices?
    LOL! Mistral is a dead service walking...
  • Reply 38 of 190
    timpetustimpetus Posts: 40member
    beowulfschmidt said: No, I don't really believe they would do that.  It would be nice if they did, though.
    Why do you want less competition in the EU?  B)
    Because it will prove the lie that somehow Apple is the one being anticompetitive. In reality it's the EU shooting themselves in the foot and then blaming Apple.
    jas99marthas694beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 39 of 190
    How ironic.  The answer that this person provided is a “stunning declaration” of how anti-US tech the EU is. They realize that no real tech innovation comes out of the EU, which is embarrassing for them, so they instead want to push and regulate the US tech companies that want to operate within the EU. It seems to me what whatever Apple does, the EU will have a problem with it. They need to back off.
    edited June 28 lotonestimpetusJMStearnsX2jas99danoxAzz
  • Reply 40 of 190
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,328member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    thrang said:
    gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

None as far as i know, but which EU company has a rich closed or semi-closed ecosystem of first-party services which might be artificially preventing competition, Name a specific one and then any discussion yo want to have might have relevance. 

Still not able to upload a BMW OS in a Mercedes. Can only by BMW software enhancements from BMW. Why can't I side load software in my car? Imagine that happening.
    williamlondonelijahgtimpetusjas99danoxdiman80JaiOh81macxpress