Macbidouille: 970's on sale at the end of May

Comments

• Reply 101 of 300
    Has anyone noticed that the apple store for education (as well as the developer store) no longer lists anything as "New" except the iBook and iPod? In the past it's seemed that they kept things listed as "New" quite a while, and not even the AlBooks have that cute green circle on them.

Might this be further evidence that both the P'Books and P'Macs are going to be updated with the 970 (in some reasonable amount of time)?

Just a thought...
  • Reply 102 of 300
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    From Macdoobiedoo :

Quote:

PS: Tomorrow, you will be entitled to other large rumours on the PPC 970 and can be even Roadmap of the exits of machines for the 12 next months. We will also speak to you about Xstations and Xserve: Company Edition.

• Reply 103 of 300
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

In the past it's seemed that they kept things listed as "New" quite a while, and not even the AlBooks have that cute green circle on them.

AlBooks are four months old now.
  • Reply 104 of 300
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Well, at MacBidouille , they are now saying that IBM wants to try and get the 970 out at 90nm by years end and that these would be the cpus used in laptops.

"They hope to produce the first PPC 970 90nm at the end of the year. These processors will replace G4 in the portables. "

Edit: Oh, I see that's already a whole other thread. So, redundant post I guess.
  • Reply 105 of 300
    Yeah, we'll probably not see 970 PBs before MWSF-04 \
  • Reply 106 of 300
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Hmmm.

...the smoke signals say an early 970 'POWER'Mac before the fall.

That would be way ahead of what I was expecting. Macdoobiedoo's teasing to release the benches on May 15th? Would be a stunning coup!

If the 970 hits circa June then it's before when I was budgeting to buy one. Heh. I was figuring for a G5 this Sept. At this rate of going, I'll be buying .09s instead of .13 G5s.

Powerbook 970? I can't see why not if it's downclocked to 1.2. Do Apple have to wait for .09 970s? Wouldn't a 1.2 970 be cool enough?

We'll see. I've felt quite serene about the whole 970 issue. Instinct from the rumours says it will be ready soon. And I'll be checking out how it benches Photoshop and Lightwave. If it truly slaps around 300dpi piccies and drills 3D renders, I may bite for the dual 1.8. At current prices? Not too bad. If IBM moves to .09 soon after, they'll be a steal.

I've already had the room decorated in Egyptian Blue and Aqua for the G5! And I have a chrome and glass table for the display!

Very 'X' inspired, eh?

Anyhow, it's not as if Apple don't need to get those 970 towers out as soon as possible. The pushing back of the WWDC to June was a big clue...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 107 of 300
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    can i see a pic of that room? haha
  • Reply 108 of 300
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Here is Lemon BB room with some of his staff. The room does need a few mods.
  • Reply 109 of 300
    fatmac84fatmac84 Posts: 67member
    The one on the right is showing a LOT of leg!!
  • Reply 110 of 300
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    http://www.architosh.com/news/2003-0...02-ee-g5.phtml

Interesting cpu speculation re the eet article.

Hey, BigC, of course the machines need an update...I've been waiting for Apple to move onto a modern, high performaing cpu for years. It's not my fault they keep selling those big box, small performance machines.

I'll post a new picture (in colour) with a modern machine when Apple sells one.

8)

Lemon Bon Bon

Quote:

can i see a pic of that room? haha

Yeah, when Apple sells me my 'Power'Mac, I'll post the pic.
  • Reply 111 of 300
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    ok. there seems to be a new mini flood of 970 info at the macboudille site.

_one possible explanation: 970s ARE starting to move off the line. if we are really that close to a rollout then MORE and MORE people need to know to do things like prep ressellers and make those pretty boxes they come in.

if this were any other non secret product. Wouldn't we all be saying info leaking out _now is just a natural evolution of events?

This actually seems to bolster their claims IMO.

of course it could be some really mean french windows user giving macbouldille troll-ish info....

• Reply 112 of 300
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

http://www.architosh.com/news/2003-0...02-ee-g5.phtml

Interesting cpu speculation re the eet article.

Hey, BigC, of course the machines need an update...I've been waiting for Apple to move onto a modern, high performaing cpu for years. It's not my fault they keep selling those big box, small performance machines.

I'll post a new picture (in colour) with a modern machine when Apple sells one.

8)

Lemon Bon Bon

Yeah, when Apple sells me my 'Power'Mac, I'll post the pic.

What do the fans sound like on those machines anyway? Any louder than the MDD's.

As to the the architosh article, MOTO comments may just be postering for an Apple non-performance lawsuit.
  • Reply 113 of 300
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

ok. there seems to be a new mini flood of 970 info at the macboudille site. _one possible explanation: 970s ARE starting to move off the line.

The fact that all the other rumor sites, including pie-in-the-sky MOSR, are much more conservative with respect to the 970 makes it hard to believe MacBidouille's reports. On the other hand, I keep reminding myself that MacBidouille posted pre-release pictures of the Quicksilver PowerMacs (or whathever other model it was). In the end, I have to give my fellow Frenchmen the benefit of the doubt.

Escher
  • Reply 114 of 300
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

of course it could be some really mean french windows user giving macbouldille troll-ish info....

Or perhaps Powerdoc is trying to increase ad revenues for AppleInsider...

• Reply 115 of 300
    markgmarkg Posts: 4member
    I swore never to do this as every post I have read in regards to Apple product releases has been wrong but here goes anyway.

Any word on the FSB speed. Seems to me you can stick the fastest chip you can into a box but it will still bottleneck at the bus. I would say the one biggest change Apple would need to make is up the 133 the boards currently run at to something like at least 233 or higher. The current crop of chips already have a major advantage over current pentium models in regards to processing power, pipeline and chip architecture. If I were Steve Jobs, I would emphasise a softly, softly approach that would first take advantage by increasing throughput on the board. This would be part of a sweetener deal I think as noted below to entice customers to buy while the G5's are coming.

Market demand or not, Apple marches to the beat of its own drum in regard to its timeline, sometimes to its own detriment. They have a record of doing things one step at a time. Apple have already announced their market intentions by going dual processor. I would say they will release a G5 machine in dual processor config with Panther after updating the current range of systems to 1.5ghz or beyond with some sweeteners like price drops and equipment/tech upgrades in between. This will allow them to iron out any bugs the architecture may have before unleashing the G5's to market. Current G4 chips will fall into the consumer i-range (ibook, imac) and the 970's will become the pro range. You can see that now in the 12.1 powerbook and the 1ghz imac. I would even hesitate a huge guess and say that the 970 cases will sport a new and unique design completely seperate from the current series.

Panther isn't due for release until September and Apple won't stifle sales by announcing a new product and not selling it. It makes people hold off their current decision to buy which hurts their bottom line. The release of the new model is just as important as the release of OsX to them so theirs no point in announcing it and having a problem like the 17" notebook again. To recap here is a theoretical timeline.

- next 2/3 months - release of speed/equipment/tech upgrades to current range to 1.5 and beyond with sweetener deals for current models, price drops etc happening within the next 4-6 months.

- Around September major releases of Panther and new 970 systems. G4 will become relegated to consumer series but will still be regularly updated.

This will give Apple an advantage of two chip manufacturers, IBM for the pro series and Motorola for the consumer models. Keeps everyone happy and relations good with Motorola in case Apple needs them again.

Don't flame me for any of this or laugh if its completely wrong. Like everyone else, all I know is what I have read and what has happened before.

Regards

MarkG
  • Reply 116 of 300
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Mark G

The Pro =IBM and imac/book=Motorola has a serious problem. And that is the very slow scaling of Motorola. Initially the iProduct can keep up at a allmost suitable distance from the professional line by jumping from 1 GHz G4 to 1.4 GHz. The problem is that one 970 at 1.5 GHz corresponds to a G4 running at 2.5 to 5 GHz. So very soon if not right away the G4 will be to far behind to be a viable budget alternative.

The 601 CPU came in 1994 and in about two years it was replaced byt the 604 as the leading CPU. And about two years later the G3 took over the lead. The G4 came 1999 so it is about two years overdue to be replaced.

A G4 at 1.42 GHz seem to be running quite hot, a 900 MHz 970 would have about parity in integers be twise as fast in floating point calculation and perhaps be faster in Altivec as well and still run cooler...

In my mind Motorola is on its way out, fast! How fast? I do not have a clue but my guess is that the only "new" Macintoshes with Motorola CPUs will be during this year and it will be similar to the new iBook.
  • Reply 117 of 300
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarkG

Any word on the FSB speed. Seems to me you can stick the fastest chip you can into a box but it will still bottleneck at the bus. I would say the one biggest change Apple would need to make is up the 133 the boards currently run at to something like at least 233 or higher.

Apple is using 133 and 167MHz bus speeds because that's what the G4s can handle - they can't go any higher.
  • Reply 118 of 300
    From Macdoobieboo: (also posted in another thread):

Quote:

It's only a rumor, but before finding some evidences, it might let you dream

a bit.

June-July 2003: PPC 970 PowerMac and Xserve, PowerBooks with G4 @ 1.25 GHz.

August-September 2003: iMacs with 1.25 and 1.4GHz G4 processors.

November 2003: iBook still equiped with G3 processors, but Apple will now use the Gobi version of the processor at 1 and 1.2 GHz.

January-February 2004: Second generation of PPC 970, running at 2.5 GHz (maybe more). They will be used in PowerMacs and Xserves. iMacs will run for the first time with PPC970 at 1.4 and 1.6 GHz.

March 2004 (less sure): First presentation of the PPC980, mobile version of the PPC970, probably used to replace PowerBook's G4.

Two new products are being developed by Apple :

- The Xstation is a highly professional super computer with up to 64 processors (mini. 4). It will be equiped with the latest GPU and support a high quantity of memory. Price between 10000 and 75000$ (maybe more).The Xstation will aim people using some big apps as Maya and other CAD and high resolution video softwares.

- The Xserve Enterprise Edition (2 rackable units) will run with a Power 5 and will support a very large data flow.

These rumors are getting better and better. What next. Apple building personal space shuttles

Being seriosly though, does anyone think developeing a high end ($10000-75000) is something that Apple would do. There may be a market for such a high-high-end machine, but how big is it. And how many people know the roadmaps a full year in advance. Only the top top people, and the developer groups I guess. Somebody must be joking macdoobie around.
  • Reply 119 of 300
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    THis is all such Bull Sh*t. I find it soo unreal I can't believe this cr@p even get's posted.
  • Reply 120 of 300
    markgmarkg Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

THis is all such Bull Sh*t. I find it soo unreal I can't believe this cr@p even get's posted.

Thanks for the sophisticated, intelligent reply. Read the top and bottom of the post and don't bother me again