Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)

Comments

• Reply 201 of 552
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by philrobin

-In Image capture there is a share menu that allows you to share a Capture device, there is a "enable web share" but did not figure out what it was.

Apple Panther did make note of this.
  • Reply 202 of 552
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    How about the bug that hits me really often... the one in List view where you create a new folder, and the name isn't automatically highlighted to be renamed? Have they fixed that darned hangover from 10.0?
  • Reply 203 of 552
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Anybody know how this could be?

Debug code.

Quote:

No on the dragging and dropping to a folder within a folder in the Dock.

Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Are window borders draggable? Sometimes I get screwed when let's say Uplink behaves badly by changing res and if Stickies is open I quit Uplink and the Stickies notes are all mostly off screen and I have to Select All and copy the info into new notes. So can we drag windows by borders?

---

Not that I can see. OS X windows do not have borders. Only the corner is draggable.

Quote:

Obligatory nag: is there Save and Shutdown aka Hibernate to save RAM contents to disk and shut down?

Nope

I'm going to cry. Seriously Panther is awesome but these would be sooooo easy to add and be awesome! Who knows why SMB crashes so much but dragging folders into Dock submenus, Save and Shutdown, and draggable window borders have to be easy to add? Come on Apple! I'll email them.
  • Reply 204 of 552
    dp
  • Reply 205 of 552
    Brad thanks for the pics.

Quote:

How about the bug that hits me really often... the one in List view where you create a new folder, and the name isn't automatically highlighted to be renamed? Have they fixed that darned hangover from 10.0?

Ah yes I noticed that too, I bet it's fixed. Remember how long that disappearing cursor thing while renaming files took to fix!
  • Reply 206 of 552
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Unfortunately not.

Press Shift-Command-n, an untitled folder appears that is not editable, then you have to wait a moment before you can hit the return key to make it editable. If you press return too early, you can edit the name for a fraction of a second before the field turns static again. I really don't like it and never did in Jaguar either.
  • Reply 207 of 552
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Big Mac

How much processing utilization do you consider "lots?" Quickly dragging a window around on my iBook (with Jaguar) takes around 30-34% of the CPU. I've never had a problem with window dragging -- it's always been great in OS X.

Yes, it looks good and it is fast but 35% cpu is far too much as everything should be done on the gpu. It's probably the drop shadow... I don't know.
  • Reply 208 of 552
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    hallelujah, seperators in (apple) menu

still, no seperators in listview though, i know it's very os9, but i liked the seperators between the folders and miss them in osX
  • Reply 209 of 552
    beakeebeakee Posts: 64member
    When will Panther ship on new systems..particularly, the powerbooks?

Thanks
  • Reply 210 of 552
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    When it is already available to the public, not before. Ergo, we don't know the exact answer to that. Sometime between October and December 1 would be my guess. Once it ships, it will be at least a couple weeks before boxed computers start showing up on store shelves with Panther. There is always a lag time with that sort of thing.
  • Reply 211 of 552
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Beakee

Thanks

When it's released.
  • Reply 212 of 552
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by philrobin

"Remote device" in iSync :

As I said the menu is greyed, so cannot test...

But I suppose this is for OTA (Over The Air).

Imagine you mac is connected on an always on connection, at home... then you have one of these nice Palm with wireless network... you are in the street and you sync with your mac at home...

That is just a guess, but I have seen a previous rumour that mentioned OTA syncing.

Here's my request.

There is excellent evidence OTA is on the way.

Can someone delve into the sync framework or iSync.app to find traces of the name of the server at .mac that's going to be taking care of this?

It'll be in the /system/components/syncservices (maybe).
  • Reply 213 of 552
    I don't think I've noticed any comments about iCal. Has this app been updated as yet or no? There are some really basic features they need to add to that application, which, I'll be genuinely disappointed if they don't address.

Talking about things like being able to take multi-hour or multi-day events and visually split them up so that "gap events" can be scheduled and accounted for. Also the inspector palette would be more useful as a toolbar I think; gets in the way of certain view types. I'm pretty sure we'll see some kind of update; I just hope it arrives with (and not after) Panther.
  • Reply 214 of 552
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Beakee

Thanks

In about six months. It isn't even nearly finished.
  • Reply 215 of 552
    I suspect it should be available a bit sooner than six months. I mean, if it's not well-baked they won't release it but you'd think they'd want it on store shelves by December 1 for the gift-buying season. No?
  • Reply 216 of 552
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

no seperators in listview though, i know it's very os9, but i liked the seperators between the folders and miss them in osX

That's actually a good idea. If they want to go metal, they should indeed take a hint from iTunes (and other apps) for the list view, with alternating blue-white patterning. That might be one thing to make me stomach that new finder better, not that they should cater the system to my needs only, but hey...
  • Reply 217 of 552
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

I suspect it should be available a bit sooner than six months. I mean, if it's not well-baked they won't release it but you'd think they'd want it on store shelves by December 1 for the gift-buying season. No?

my prediction: it will be on sale by the friday after thanksgiving, the biggest shopping day of the year...
  • Reply 218 of 552
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    This is pretty cool, you can show the status of classic in the menu bar.

Classic is not running...

Classic starting...

Classic running...

Odd classic alert...

Classic Menu...

• Reply 219 of 552
    What about PDF compression options? I love the print to PDF option in OS X but would like the option of making the PDF's smaller.
  • Reply 220 of 552
    Is scheduled wake-from-sleep in 10.3?

Has there been any effort made to make the graphite theme more universal? Ever since Apple started to make all their own custom widgets, they seem to be relegating graphite to second class.