Official MLB Championship Series Topic

Comments

• Reply 41 of 210
    well i don't think it matters if or how it was provoked, a guy being held down (by police?) being stomped on by a player (nelson?) wearing spikes is not going to look good in court. (jesus it reminded me of the hell's angels at altamont!)

i've heard the grounds keeper in question caused trouble a few years ago as well.

here's what should have happened, man in bullpen causes trouble, players ask for man to be removed. (even if they didn't ask, if there was a cop out there he should have done his job and removed him) man removed. again i think the stomper is in BIG trouble. but even here boston does not look good.

i think i'm impartial i have no stake in this whatsoever, they're both just lambs to the slaughter for the cubbies!
  • Reply 42 of 210
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Quote:

question....where is fenway security? where was this police officer at the beginning of the altercation?

The cop in the bullpen left to go out to the field in the bottom of the 9th after the double play ball was hit. The door to the bullpen was immediately opened and he started to go out to do the standard security thing to make sure the fans wouldn't jump on to the field, etc. One cop stayed in the bullpen but was on the opposite end.

As soon as he got out there, the cop noticed that Garcia was charging the dugout and turned around to see the fight. All of this took place in about 10, maybe 15 seconds. At that point, the police swarmed the entire field with riot gear etc as the security that was keeping the bleachers in check jumped the wall down into the bullpen to pull them away from each other. No one was expecting that the Yankee players would lose it like that.

Originally, we were led to believe that it was a fan that had jumped the wall and started attacking Yankee pitchers, and the group around me was stunned, and disappointed that someone would do that. It literally zapped the energy out of the crowd. Only later did we hear it was a groundskeeper that was already in the bullpen who was attacked.

As for Sauerbeck's comments, I would have hoped that if a fan jumped into the bullpen, he would have been beat up too. You just don't do that. Unfortunately, it was the Yankees who were out of line in attacking the groundskeeper. I mean, all he did was pump his fist at a double play and start singing Born in the USA and he gets punched.
  • Reply 43 of 210
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

The cop in the bullpen left to go out to the field in the bottom of the 9th after the double play ball was hit. The door to the bullpen was immediately opened and he started to go out to do the standard security thing to make sure the fans wouldn't jump on to the field, etc. One cop stayed in the bullpen but was on the opposite end.

As soon as he got out there, the cop noticed that Garcia was charging the dugout and turned around to see the fight. All of this took place in about 10, maybe 15 seconds. At that point, the police swarmed the entire field with riot gear etc as the security that was keeping the bleachers in check jumped the wall down into the bullpen to pull them away from each other. No one was expecting that the Yankee players would lose it like that.

Originally, we were led to believe that it was a fan that had jumped the wall and started attacking Yankee pitchers, and the group around me was stunned, and disappointed that someone would do that. It literally zapped the energy out of the crowd. Only later did we hear it was a groundskeeper that was already in the bullpen who was attacked.

As for Sauerbeck's comments, I would have hoped that if a fan jumped into the bullpen, he would have been beat up too. You just don't do that. Unfortunately, it was the Yankees who were out of line in attacking the groundskeeper. I mean, all he did was pump his fist at a double play and start singing Born in the USA and he gets punched.

sooooo incredibly bias and complete denial of any other possibillity than a "Yankee attacking" him.

are you that proud of your groundskeeper team that you can't accept the possibility that he was an asshole for the entire game and then stood up to nelson when he asked him (and probably told him) to leave? the guy doesn't look like someone willing to back down or be asked to leave. and especially if he has had incident(s) in the past.

"No one was expecting the yankee players to lose it like that"

i do believe that works in favor of the yankee players. this is and was out of character. i dont think even nelson would attack some just because of "waving the rally flag".
  • Reply 44 of 210
    well fran WAS there and in the bleachers, maybe he had a better view or a different angle. i won't make any judgments on the instigation, but the stomping, well, it was criminal, no matter how it started.
  • Reply 45 of 210
    Quote:

the guy doesn't look like someone willing to back down or be asked to leave

Well people want to know why the groundskeeper was in the Yankees bullpen to begin with. Basically, he was there to clean up whatever fell from the stands onto the field or bullpen. The only thing that ended up on the field was a cowboy hat, which was accidently dropped, so it was a very quiet and civil night from Red Sox fans, especially given the 'bad blood' on the field.

It was the groundskeeper's job to stay in the bullpen. If the Yankees were really concerned about this groundskeeper, why didn't they let security deal with him? Then he would have had to answer to Red Sox management about their complaints. But we saw what happened isntead.

The Boston Police came to the conclusion that it was the Yankees that were at fault, but at the request of the Boston Red Sox *and* the groundskeeper, charges are not being filed against them.

How is it, by the way, that you can accuse me of 'bias' and being in 'complete denial', when all I'm doing is relaying things the way I saw it or from actual things they are reporting on the news?

When you talk about being in 'complete denial' and being 'bias', why don't you look in the mirror? All you have done, for the most part, is go berserk in this thread. You should be *thrilled* that the Yankees are up 2 games to 1 on the Red Sox right now. A few weeks ago, you said the 'rivalry' was dead outside of Boston. Well based on this thread, I think we know your true stance on the 'rivalry'.
  • Reply 46 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

yes, how many things could it be.

hmmmm....throwing at someone, brawling, guys screaming at him from the dugout..... hmm screaming back.... him repeatedly pointing and tapping his temple....

hmmm...im sure he was asking them to dinner later.....in spanish of course.

No longer relying on lip reading now, are we?
    Quote:

pedro pushed zimmer to the ground...... not away. i can understand pedro holding him off or pushing him away, but pedro grabbed him by the head and neck and threw him to the ground. he followed through and then walked away like nothing happened. fortunately for pedro no one on the field seemed to have seen it.

Zimmer fell because of his own weight and momentum. Pedro used it against him. What he did wasn?t much different from a bullfighter?s move.
    Quote:

would you care to explain how THAT ONE works?

Ummm, no I don?t. Pitchers pitch inside all the time without hitting batters.
  • Reply 47 of 210
    "Was he threatening to hit you in the head next time up?" Posada was asked afterward.

"Maybe he was telling me to use my head," Posada said. (link)
  • Reply 48 of 210
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I just can't beleive they didn't throw Pedro out of the game. He threw at someone and threw somone down. Clemens pitch wasn't anywhere near that dickhead Ramirez and the Yankees are far too concerned with winning to give in to that kind of bullshit in an alcs game anyway.
  • Reply 49 of 210
    Quote:

the Yankees are far too concerned with winning to give in to that kind of bullshit in an alcs game anyway.

Tell that to the Yankee bullpen.
  • Reply 50 of 210
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    And the winner of the PETERB award iiiiisssssssss.............

APPLENUT!!! Congratulations on making a complete fool of yourself. But please don't stop now. You're hilarious.

About the game. It was fun to watch. It was obvious that Pedro was not pitching well in those first four or five innings. Even the two myopic Fox commentators said so. Ridiculous how even the sports commentators at Fox can't get it right.

The pitch on Ramirez was tailing inside...not too close, but not far enough not to cause a reaction under the circumstances.

Popeye is an idiot. He's senile and cannot think straight anymore What he did was stupid. It looked like he was charging Pedro and Pedro did give him a little shove to the ground. I don't give a shit how old you are, but if you're gonna charge anyone you should expect to at least end up on the ground. Zimmer was in danger of getting hurt while on his feet. He was better off on the ground.

Both Pedro and Clemens have been known to like to pitch inside and hit batters. I dislike them both but I dislike Clemens a little bit more. Funny how all these Yankee fan boys that hated him when he played for Boston now conveniently let the things Clemens does slide. Clemens is a little dirty coward. Too bad Piazza didn't have the balls to kick his ass when he got a broken bat thrown his way.

I'd love to see quotes from Pedro actually saying he's going to hit someone on purpose. Whoever said that provide the links or STFU.

I hope the Sox meet the Cubs in the WS. The series is gonna go 7....tied in the 30th inning of the 7th game while eating pretzels Dubya chokes on one ...picks up the "red" phone trying to get help....the unintelligible words are mistaken by the receiving end who gives the order to unleash a full nuclear attack on Russia and N.K. and thus "triggering" a nuclear holocaust....the world will end a fraction of a second before what would be the last play of the WS....Sammy beginning his slide home with Juan Pierre's throw to the plate one bounce from reaching Pudge.....\
  • Reply 51 of 210
    Pedro Martinez was fined for hitting Garcia, Manny Ramirez was fined for yelling at Clemens, Zimmer was fined for attacking Pedro Martinez, and Garcia was fined for his hard slide and subsequent yelling at Todd Walker at 2nd base.

Quote:

"If that happened in New York we would have arrested the perpetrator," Bloomberg said. "Nobody should throw a 70-year-old man to the ground, period. ... You just cannot assault people, even if it's on a baseball field."

Apparently, Bloomberg either didn't watch the game, or he just didn't want to see that Zimmer was trying to attack Pedro. The fact that Zimmer ended up on the ground was definitely unfortunate, but it was his own fault. It looked like Pedro didn't even realize what Zimmer was doing until he was on top of him- he was more interested in what was going on in the main brawl.
  • Reply 52 of 210
    ALCS Game 4 has been postponed due to rain.

'Game 4' will be played tomorrow at 8:00 PM and 'Game 5' will be played on Tuesday at 4:00 PM.

AL fans can be happy that the Marlins won today, extending the NLCS to at least Tuesday. A Cubs win today would have given the entire pitching staff an extra 5 days rest.

Plus, if the Cubs are going to win a series, it should be at Chicago. The fans definitely deserve that after waiting since 1945.
  • Reply 53 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

well fran WAS there and in the bleachers, maybe he had a better view or a different angle. i won't make any judgments on the instigation, but the stomping, well, it was criminal, no matter how it started.

he said he didn't.

Quote:

How is it, by the way, that you can accuse me of 'bias' and being in 'complete denial', when all I'm doing is relaying things the way I saw it or from actual things they are reporting on the news?

you said you didn't see it and originally you thought it was a fan or "heard" it was a fan.

the news is reporting it two ways buddy.

Quote:

When you talk about being in 'complete denial' and being 'bias', why don't you look in the mirror? All you have done, for the most part, is go berserk in this thread. You should be *thrilled* that the Yankees are up 2 games to 1 on the Red Sox right now. A few weeks ago, you said the 'rivalry' was dead outside of Boston. Well based on this thread, I think we know your true stance on the 'rivalry'.

true stance on the rivalry? i guess boston admits there is no rivalry and has to lower themselves to throwing at batters as they fall behind.

Quote:

No longer relying on lip reading now, are we?

i am, and i will. you can interpret what he said anyway you want to. feel free.

Quote:

Ummm, no I don?t. Pitchers pitch inside all the time without hitting batters.

you said it doesn't have to be inside to hit him. that would be an accomplishment.

never mind the fact it was not inside at all and manny just looked like an ass but what else is new.

Quote:

APPLENUT!!! Congratulations on making a complete fool of yourself. But please don't stop now. You're hilarious.

yes, an award you win day in and day out here. i accept it for today with great honor coming from someone has much of a fool as yourself.

Quote:

About the game. It was fun to watch. It was obvious that Pedro was not pitching well in those first four or five innings. Even the two myopic Fox commentators said so. Ridiculous how even the sports commentators at Fox can't get it right.

he sucked, started getting hit, yankees took the lead, and then he has 2 and 3rd and throws one at Garcia's head. Not intentional...naaaahh...cuz he's never done THAT before.

Quote:

Funny how all these Yankee fan boys that hated him when he played for Boston now conveniently let the things Clemens does slide. Clemens is a little dirty coward. Too bad Piazza didn't have the balls to kick his ass when he got a broken bat thrown his way.

1. i hate clemens and think he's an asshole. anyone who has a kitcken table made of cow bones from his ranch is a bit odd.

2. Clemens is not a coward. he doesn't run away after he hits someone, he doesn't hide behind his players. he was the first one out of the dugout when garcia was hit, he didnt flinch when manny started heading towards the mound.

3. Piazz would have had his ass handed to him by Clemens. the guy is a huge and piazza is a prettyboy.

Quote:

I'd love to see quotes from Pedro actually saying he's going to hit someone on purpose. Whoever said that provide the links or STFU.

hard to link to video but there are likely articles out there. if i find em i'll post em.

fran, bloomberg is an idiot but he's from boston, what do you expect.

good decision calling the game today although i was a little annoyed that they used the settling of tensions over the extra day off as support for calling the game in addition to the horrible field conditions
  • Reply 54 of 210
    Just to be clear on this, when I was at the game, we saw there was a fight going on in the bullpen. We saw Garcia charge the bullpen and hop the fence. We also saw a bunch of security guards jump from the bleachers into the bullpen to stop the fight. Then the police stormed the field in riot gear and surrounded the perimeter of the park to keep the crowd in check.

When I was at the ballpark, I couldn't tell why the fight started (the crowd was cheering about the double play and starting to get into Born in the USA and I wouldn't have heard anything any way from where I was sitting).

After the fight was broken up, someone with a walkman type radio told us that WEEI (the station that broadcasts Red Sox games) was reporting that they believed a fan had jumped into the bullpen and apparently attacked the Yankee pitching staff. After we left the ballpark, we heard the real story on the news, and it fits what we saw.

Quote:

good decision calling the game today although i was a little annoyed that they used the settling of tensions over the extra day off as support for calling the game in addition to the horrible field conditions

I didn't hear that part. Was that Fox that said that or MLB? They were showing that the field was drenched all day on the news. It's too bad they didn't call the game a little earlier in the day.
  • Reply 55 of 210
    Quote:

i am, and i will. you can interpret what he said anyway you want to. feel free.

I didn't interpret anything. All I said was that you DON'T KNOW what he said and I've provided Posada's quote. Posada was a helluva lot closer to Pedro than either you or I were and has no reason to sugarcoat what Pedro said.
  • Reply 56 of 210
    Quote:

yes, an award you win day in and day out here. i accept it for today with great honor coming from someone has much of a fool as yourself.

Lame. I don't throw little cussing tantrums like the ones you are known for in here.With close to 5,000 posts I'm sure you've won the award a few hundred times.

Quote:

he sucked, started getting hit, yankees took the lead, and then he has 2 and 3rd and throws one at Garcia's head. Not intentional...naaaahh...cuz he's never done THAT before.

I said he wasn't pitching well. You just paid him a great compliment without realizing it. Isn't it impressive what Pedro's standards are that the mighty Yanks could only beat him by a run on a day that YOU claimed he sucked?

Quote:

1. i hate clemens and think he's an asshole. anyone who has a kitcken table made of cow bones from his ranch is a bit odd.

I agree about the asshole part.
    Quote:

2. Clemens is not a coward. he doesn't run away after he hits someone, he doesn't hide behind his players.

I disagree. He's a coward because he fires 95-98(earlier days) mph fast balls at people's heads on purpose.So is Pedro...but at least Pedro played in the National League where he had to grab a bat after hitting someone. In the AL when you throw at someone you're effectively hiding behind the players that have to grab a bat.
    Quote:

he was the first one out of the dugout when garcia was hit, he didnt flinch when manny started heading towards the mound.

So what? The guy's always a hair away from going ballistic.Nothing to do with being brave there.
    Quote:

3. Piazz would have had his ass handed to him by Clemens. the guy is a huge and piazza is a prettyboy.

Clemens is heavier than Piazza, but they're about the same heighth give or take an inch at the most. When that happened I said Piazza was weak for not going after Clemens.That was ugly to watch.

Quote:

hard to link to video but there are likely articles out there. if i find em i'll post em.

Just post links to the websites. We'll find the videos.
  • Reply 57 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

I didn't hear that part. Was that Fox that said that or MLB? They were showing that the field was drenched all day on the news. It's too bad they didn't call the game a little earlier in the day.

fox asked the MLB rep (not sure who it was) if that had any influence or if he thought it would help and that's when he said it. i don't know who from the MLB it was though.

that field was a mess, i don't understand why they waited so long to call it. everyone was there already. red sox lose money because of that, they still have to pay the employees for the game if its the same deal as yankee stadium.

Quote:

'm sorry, Applenut, but you've been out of line. I've never seen a moderator scream "**** you" to another moderator in any forum online and not expect to be banned. You're a child. Grow up.

I know you and Fran have been at it for years, literally, but YOU'RE A MODERATOR.

why don't you go back to bragging about how many women you've ****ed in your life and then rip into arnold a bit.

Quote:

Lame. I don't throw little cussing tantrums like the ones you are known for in here.With close to 5,000 posts I'm sure you've won the award a few hundred times.

hardly, at least you prove you don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:

I said he wasn't pitching well. You just paid him a great compliment without realizing it. Isn't it impressive what Pedro's standards are that the mighty Yanks could only beat him by a run on a day that YOU claimed he sucked?

not really. 4 runs is sucking.

although he pitched much better, ironically, after the incident, as did Clemens. i guess it got their juices flowing a bit.

Quote:

I disagree. He's a coward because he fires 95-98(earlier days) mph fast balls at people's heads on purpose.So is Pedro...but at least Pedro played in the National League where he had to grab a bat after hitting someone. In the AL when you throw at someone you're effectively hiding behind the players that have to grab a bat.

i sort of agree but don't. pedro was was reprimanded for head hunting in his expos days and i doubt he'll ever pitch in the national league again for obvious reasons. look at pedro's walks to HBP stats and its a bit of an eye opener.

in the AL they don't have to face that, but they do put their own teammates on the line..... and i do think that the teammates may get a bit pissed if they were always being hit in retaliation for either of their headhuntings.

truth is, they both headhunt, but pedro did it yesterday, not clemens. that makes pedro wrong for yesterday. if clemens did it i'd expect the same outrage. altho i think fran's response would be much different had this been started by clemens.

Quote:

Clemens is heavier than Piazza, but they're about the same heighth give or take an inch at the most. When that happened I said Piazza was weak for not going after Clemens.That was ugly to watch.

height they may be about the same, but clemens is HUGE. his chest, shoulders, legs, make him seem like a giant. piazza is noticeably "smaller". plus, clemens as you said is a bit psychotic.

when thinking of piazza going after clemens i recall ventura going after nolan ryan and we all know how successful that was

Quote:

Just post links to the websites. We'll find the videos.

i wasn't aware that news is archived on the web....o wait, it's not.

• Reply 58 of 210
    Quote:

hardly, at least you prove you don't know what you're talking about.

Riight. You're not known for your little tantrums like this one on this very thread:
    Quote:

Pedro will ****ing die

Red sox would get their ass kicked. Bunch of ****ing pussies.

Yankees will wrap it up tomorrow in Fenway.

Pedro is a major league asshole. You can hate Clemens all you want but if you hate Clemens you have to hate Pedro more. He's worse for the game than anyone. He's a prissy stuck up full of himself biotch.

Red sox fans are even dumber....yea.... chant Yankees Suck a few million more times after they kick your ass.

How about Garcia and Nelson beating the living shit out of that guy in the bullpen.

LOL...nice try. By the way, you have to win 4 games in the LCS in case you didn't know. Yeah, and I Don't know what I'm talking about.

Quote:

not really. 4 runs is sucking.

Wrong. The Yankees only won by 1 run. By the way. Did you know the Yanks team ERA was over 4.00? I guess they must suck. http://baseball.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/pitching?team=nyy

Quote:

i sort of agree but don't. pedro was was reprimanded for head hunting in his expos days and i doubt he'll ever pitch in the national league again for obvious reasons. look at pedro's walks to HBP stats and its a bit of an eye opener.

You really don't know that. What obvious reasons? What if he were traded to the NL? He still pitches interleague games doesn't he?
    Quote:

i wasn't aware that news is archived on the web....o wait, it's not.

Right. That's why nobody uses search engines.

Tons of news are available on the web. Of course, your argument was weak and you couldn't back it up. Thank you. Play again.
  • Reply 59 of 210
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Since Gilsch is back in a baseball topic...did you notice those beachballs hitting the field at pivotal moments of the games in Miami yesterday and today?
  • Reply 60 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Since Gilsch is back in a baseball topic...did you notice those beachballs hitting the field at pivotal moments of the games in Miami yesterday and today?

What were those pivotal moments again? I guess the damn beach balls affected the Cubs hitters today and the Marlins pitchers yesterday.

Here's what you need to do Eugene to at least have something that may, just may, resemble a point.

1)The exact moments during the games that beach balls fell onto the field.

2)Exactly HOW said beach balls affected specific plays.

Since the balls fell at "pivotal" moments of the games it shouldn't be that difficult.