The iPod smear campaign is working

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    If Apple knock out sub-standard kit they deserve the bad publicity like anyone else. Grow up.
  • Reply 22 of 91
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by musicaltone

If Apple knock out sub-standard kit they deserve the bad publicity like anyone else. Grow up.

You're absolutely right. But the iPod is not an example of "sub-standard" kit. I can personally attest to the fact that the iPod battery doesn't die after 1 year.
  • Reply 23 of 91
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Over two years here, on my original 5GB iPod.

The little brats with the spray paint are just vandals, pure and simple. They're not noble, they're idiots.

*SOME* batteries die earlier than the expected lifespan. Hint: it's why it's called expected. They got a lemon. Apple may or may not have had (there's some confusion over this) a replacement plan in place when they had this happen. In any case, they do now.

I can't believe that people actually can't figure this out.
  • Reply 24 of 91
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by åsen

My parents live in the UK and neither of them 'do' computers, and they have never started a conversation about Apple.

Until yesterday, when:

'It has been on the news that your iPod battery doesn't work'.

\

freaky! i had the same conversation with my dad on saturday. he doesn't even know how to turn a computer on, and he started the conversation. must have been on the UK news at some point
  • Reply 25 of 91
    it seems to vary based on usage and other factors, from ipodbatteryfaq:

"Q: I heard that the iPod's battery only lasts 18 months, and then you have to buy a new iPod! Is that true?

A1: NO! The vast, vast majority of even the earliest iPods, now over two years old, continue to function just fine. Some iPods, however, have had issues with batteries. Lithium ion batteries are only good for 300 to 500 charge/discharge cycles (more). For this reason, certain customers' usage patterns may cause the batteries to degrade, or fail, sooner than others.

A2: If the battery does fail, and the iPod is no longer under its original one year warranty or $59 AppleCare Protection Plan for iPod, or any of numerous third party service plans, you don't have to buy a new iPod. You may replace the battery yourself for as little as $49, or have Apple perform the replacement for $99.

Q: Will the iPod's battery degrade over time?

A: Yes. Over time, the battery will not hold the same amount of charge as when it was new. This is natural, and is true of all lithium ion batteries. This slow degradation will not affect, or be noticed by, most users. However, based on usage, environmental factors, and many other variables, some heavy users may notice a greater degradation than others. It is important to understand that this is the exact same degradation that would occur with any lithium ion battery used in any laptop, cell phone, portable music player, etc., and is not unique to the iPod. For more information, see this page."

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

----

and from macworld uk this:

"The negative publicity wave continues on the UK's Channel 4, which reports "iPod's battery life let-down". It claims: "The batteries are dying a lot faster than people thought."

Apple director of iPod marketing Stan Ng doesn't agree that the problem is as widespread as these reports make out. Speaking to Inside Digital Media analyst Phil Leigh last week he said: "iPod and iPod minis are designed for several years of use, with high-capacity lithium ion batteries Many customers have been using first-generation iPods since 2001 with no problems. We also have a battery replacement program."

Apple now offers its iPod AppleCare Protection Plan in the UK. This £59 plan allows iPod owners to extend their 90 days of complimentary product support and one-year warranty to up to two years of support and service ? including replacing the battery for free if required."

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_...fm?NewsID=7653
  • Reply 26 of 91
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Everyone comes up to me at school and says by next year my battery wont work. I just laugh and say yeah, right. They;ve all read articles about how the Apple policy on battery replacement isn't very good.

I laugh because i've never had a problem with my iPod battery. What we have got to remember though, is that these loud mouth ignorant w***ers are buying the iPods. The Mac market is 5%. And also these ignorant t**ts are only buying it cos it's 'cool.' They don;t deserve one!

(Just out of interest when was the iPod warranty extension added to the UK)
  • Reply 27 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

freaky! i had the same conversation with my dad on saturday. he doesn't even know how to turn a computer on, and he started the conversation. must have been on the UK news at some point

And when has the news ever been researched fully.

Quote:

(Just out of interest when was the iPod warranty extension added to the UK)

Few weaks ago
  • Reply 28 of 91
    I have an original 5gig from Nov 2001, my son and daughter use it alot as I have since got a 15gb 3G. The 5gig still works great. I have taken it mountain biking many times, to work at a construction site 200+ times, it's hit the concrete at least 4-5 times that I know about, and with my kids, who knows.

My point is that these iPods are built like a tank and I am here as a "poster-boy" for their quality. Great job Apple, the best built portable music device ever made. Randy
  • Reply 29 of 91
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I just had a co-worker come up to me to warn me about my iPod and its battery.

My brother in law just sent me an email asking about the quality problems Apple is having with the iPod batteries. I tried to calm him down by pointing out that the problem is exaggerated by the media, that there is good reason why the iPod battery is deep inside the device (Li-Ion batteries can explode if handled with force - see the Nokia desaster).

Nevertheless, in Germany, the battery replacement program is not yet available (this is Apple, remember) and the two year protection plan is not exactly helpful if you fear your battery will die after about two years usage. So, I fear, he'll go with a Dell too.

He is not very computer literate, windows user etc. But he sure picked up this morsel from the media coverage. And because Apple Europe is such a lame bunch, they did nothing to correct the bad image.
  • Reply 30 of 91
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo Lets face it, many folks who have grown up PC (and that would be the majority of the world) wouldn't be caught with an Apple product. They just aren't willing to change yet. Old habits are hard to change.

It's like someone asking you to give up your Mac, and try Windows XP.

You could...but you won't.

If my Mac was an aggravating, pain-in-the-balls about everything - putting you through convoluted, geek-talk-laden multiple steps to do something simple, not offer me great "digital hub" software and capabilities, etc. - I would.

I know Windows XP is supposed to be slick and "all that". Fine. Doesn't erase that very real fact that nearly everyone in my circle of friends, co-workers and family who are using PCs are a) not particularly nuts about the entire experience, b) STILL can't anage their digital photos worth a shit, c) couldn't begin to piece together some sort of watchable, coherent video clip or short with some third-rate PC-based iMovie wannabe, etc.

It's fear and simple comfort, for sure, in many instance. But crap, I just don't understand the thinking that allows someone - again, the people I know - to stay putzing around with something they KNOW they don't understand, like or lets them do what they want versus the "unknown", that, after a few days or weeks, will feel like your best friend.

I think my Mom is really coming around. She's had my iMac DV for two weeks now and even as old and "non-Snappy" as it can be at certain things, she's really taken a shine to the Mac OS and experience (which is everything, really).

If Apple releases that 20th anniversary platinum/walnut iMac next week, she'll probably get it.

• Reply 31 of 91
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Well it does sound like the FUD has spread quite a bit.What can Apple do and not sound defensive? How easily would that info be spread around? People take this iPod battery thing as genuine because it came from a supposedly independent source -- buyers. Apple's power to correct his is limited because people are cynical about fixes or excuses coming from the manufacturer. Even the iPod Battery FAQ has a hard time convincing people otherwise without testimony from buyers.

I fear the FUD is reaching critical mass now, and that the slander will affect buyers, however irrational it is, and no matter that the people who posted it are a couple of brats throwing a tantrum. The iPod suddenly has an uphill climb and is losing favor with the public. Better hope all those people who got them for Christmas can get the word out.
  • Reply 32 of 91
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    buon, i hate to say it, but i think you may be giving too much credit to these guys and their web movie. there are far more serious things that get more new coverage that the general consuming public is utterly ignorant of. if i'm wrong, so be it, but i doubt this news will affect anyone other than the people who were looking for an excuse to hate apple more.
  • Reply 33 of 91
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Maybe I am, maynbe you're right. \

What' more frustrating is that people are willing to accept rumors as fact so readily.
  • Reply 34 of 91
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I was talking with someone last month about the iPod and they said they were getting the Dell DJ because they were cheaper "and has a better battery". Ugh.
  • Reply 35 of 91
    Nope, it just has two of the same one the iPod has.

So you've got twice the failure possibilities!
  • Reply 36 of 91
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I've used XP, it's rubbish. It's horrible to use, it's slow, it's ugly and very anti-intuitive, it's horrible, it's almost as easy to use as DOS (that's a very big exaggeration btw).

Remember the majority of people who switch will look for a solution to all their problems, the reason windows have the majority is that people accept the crap micro$h*t give them
  • Reply 37 of 91
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I've used XP, it's rubbish. It's horrible to use, it's slow, it's ugly and very anti-intuitive, it's horrible, it's almost as easy to use as DOS (that's a very big exaggeration btw).

Remember the majority of people who switch will look for a solution to all their problems, the reason windows have the majority is that people accept the crap micro$h*t give them

umm... ok whatever.... i dont even see why this post is in this thread.

while i'm at it, i'll just add that i hate dell right now. i wish apple could sue everyone thats trying to make mp3 players "similar" to the ipod. i also wish apple would start a mudsling campaign about how dell isnt better
  • Reply 38 of 91
    I tell ya, if the battery issue is not resolved w the next iPod revision, I will not be buying another when the battery on the one I have dies out. Tiz that simple.
  • Reply 39 of 91
    WHAT battery issue?!?!

That's the whole point of this &*(%@#$ thread! There *IS* no issue!
  • Reply 40 of 91
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I've had my 20GB iPod for 15 months now and the battery is still going strong. I'll report how much average battery life I get once I've hit 19 months. I suggest we all do the same so we can discredit (or prove) this assertion that iPod batteries 'die' after 18 months.