The new Ibook (3D Mockup and Specs)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 109
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

Hey Jimzip, I like that one the best!!!! The iBook should be rugged, not thin, but sturdy and able to take the fall....and it looks like a big iPod mini!!! I think that the specs need to be able to get the thing down to $700 at the low-end....no Superdrive, slower graphics, etc.

Haha. Thank you. But I can't take credit for the design. I got the design from apple.com's latest patent that was registered. (Just kidding) the site I got the designs from was in a link further up the page, but the link isn't working anymore.. Strange.. I didn't even see who made the design..

Anyway, Pricing!

iBook '04:

?1 GHz G4, 32MB Graphics Card, 128MB RAM, ComboDrive = $799

?1.25GHz G4, 64MB Graphics Card, 256MB RAM, SuperDrive = $999

?Dual 2.4GHz G5, 256MB Graphics Card, 1GB RAM, SuperMegaUltraBluRayDrive = YOUR SOUL!!

Jimzip
  • Reply 62 of 109
    Gulp.

It's really something.

Congrats, JimZip !
  • Reply 63 of 109
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Jimzip: I doubt a Superdrive laptop could get to below $1k, but I think Apple should very very aggressively hit that low-end number, even if it means only a 10% margin, because that is where NEW Mac customers will come from. That's where Apple has always lost the battles. And anyway, Apple's traditional market always seems to go for the high-end anyway and the low end just sits there...as in the 1.6gig vs. the 2.0 dual PowerMacs.

Get margin on high end and take a hit on the low end. So I think that low-end iBook you have at $799 maybe attainable at a 10% margin.
  • Reply 64 of 109
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    At 1000 for a DVD burning laptop...that is even below emachine territory, especially one so small. The cheapest DVD-burning Centrino notebook I have ever seen was an Acer w/ 14 or 15" screen and it was $1100 or $1200. So even at $1200 it would be priced very agressively and undercut most PC rivals, (Unless pricing changes over the next year between potential updates)
  • Reply 65 of 109
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jimzip

Haha. Thank you. But I can't take credit for the design. (...) the site I got the designs from was in a link further up the page, but the link isn't working anymore.. Strange.. I didn't even see who made the design..

You mean pscates I assume?

His links work as far as I can tell.

It'd be nice to give him full credit. People will instantly assume the design is also yours.

Gorgeous rendering and modeling nonetheless.
  • Reply 66 of 109
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Pscates made the original concept, jimzip made that concept realized!

great work!

it needs a couple things still. Speaker grilles, 'ibook g4' written somewhere(below the monitor preferably)

And, could you make a render with like 5 of them in multiple colors?
  • Reply 67 of 109
    It would be neat if this iBook, since it is a throwback of the iPod, if it could play mp3s with the lid closed, like many PC laptops can. Sort of like there is a separate mp3 player unit attached to the laptop, only not really.
  • Reply 68 of 109
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Pscates made the original concept, jimzip made that concept realized!

great work!

it needs a couple things still. Speaker grilles, 'ibook g4' written somewhere(below the monitor preferably)

And, could you make a render with like 5 of them in multiple colors?

Now that is spooky.. They were the three things that kept irking me since I did the final render..

I was going to to an iMac-esque flower render, with the five colours, but I didn't have time.. I will now I think.

I will also add the speaker grilles, but I didn't know if Pscates had forgotten them, or included them in the grilles down the sides.. I guess on the keyboard area would be best, seeing as that's where all the speakers are on Macs nowdays...

And yes. The "ibook '04" will aso be added.

Stay tuned!

Jimzip
  • Reply 69 of 109
    The other thing about your mock-up jimzip, it's really excellent, but, paul's design had the lower half and the upper half of the thing compliment eachother. yours looks kind of like the lower half is it's own thang and the screen just sits on top of that.

ya know?

like, when closed, the thing should seamless, I don't really get that from your rendering.
  • Reply 70 of 109
    pscates, your design is so amazingly cool. I would buy one in a nano second. I'm almost disappointed reading this thread because there is no way of knowing if Apple will produce something like this and when. I really want to buy an iBook now but I'm hoping/wishing/praying that they will freshen up the look with a new design and quite possibly COLORS.
  • Reply 71 of 109
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

The other thing about your mock-up jimzip, it's really excellent, but, paul's design had the lower half and the upper half of the thing compliment eachother. yours looks kind of like the lower half is it's own thang and the screen just sits on top of that.

ya know?

like, when closed, the thing should seamless, I don't really get that from your rendering.

When it's closed it looks like a large iPod mini. Here, take a look:

These images are to show different angles and also the poly count and mesh and stuff..

Personally. I'd have liked it if the keyboard area was all white. It looks strange having the green all over the wrist-rest and kb areas I think..

Still, I really like the design in general.

Jimzip
  • Reply 72 of 109
    Please make it Blue!!! Wow, you guys are incredible!!! Are you sure you don't work in Apple's Design Department?

All I can say is incredible!!! APPLE, steal this design and make it NOW!!!

Hopefully with a faster processor, however... It's still yummy!
  • Reply 73 of 109
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Here's all the crap I was trying to put into words above. Personally, I dig it and would proudly own one, in white, silver OR green.

A current iBook, an iPod mini and a couple of pieces of the G5 and put them into a blender...

[EDIT: Ha, I just realized it has no speakers...I forgot! Oh well, do this - until I can add them later: imagine PowerBook-like speaker placement, to the left and right of the keyboard. G5-inspired holes, not too big though).

Psssh. . . Illustrator. . . *wimp*

What you've come up with is a more practical/actually possible version of the original image. I like it. . . Plus, I'll be able to get a pink iBook to match my pink iPod.

Edit:

Nice 3D render JimZip. But subdivisions? So eighties. Hop on the spline bandwagon. . .
  • Reply 74 of 109
    /\ldie/\ldie Posts: 70member
    JimZiip, hope ya dont mind:

ahhh thats better
  • Reply 75 of 109
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what I'm talking about!!!!! THANKS!!!

APPLE I HOPE YOU ARE READING THESE FORUMS!!! RELEASE THIS NOW!!!

Interesting... The iBook's reflection is green. FREAKY!!! But kinda cool...
  • Reply 76 of 109
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macaddict74

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what I'm talking about!!!!! THANKS!!!

APPLE I HOPE YOU ARE READING THESE FORUMS!!! RELEASE THIS NOW!!!

Interesting... The iBook's reflection is green. FREAKY!!! But kinda cool...

If you think Apple would release this anytime soon, you need some more warm blankets, sleeping in the cold hurts . Anyway, I too find the designs posted here marvelous and I think there was once an Apple page where you could submit your ideas/designs. But if you do that, your ideas become automatically Apple's property.
  • Reply 77 of 109
    tak1108tak1108 Posts: 222member
    pscates and Jim really have made some great designs. They are pretty much to scale. Seem reasonable for apple to make, and look fantastic.

Nan...You're scales are all out of whack. you show a CD slot that is 1" wide, the keyboard is flat, you need to bump map that keyboard or something.

Edit: The scales look better on the models above, maybe I was thinking about his powerbook models were way out of scale. I'm all for putting media reader on these too!

iBooks will never be thin. That is left for more expensive powerbooks. I hope apple never makes a black computer!!!!!
  • Reply 78 of 109
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Psssh. . . Illustrator. . . *wimp*

What you've come up with is a more practical/actually possible version of the original image. I like it. . . Plus, I'll be able to get a pink iBook to match my pink iPod.

Edit:

Nice 3D render JimZip. But subdivisions? So eighties. Hop on the spline bandwagon. . .

you are such a punk!
  • Reply 79 of 109
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    hey nice renderings. What 3D programs are you guys using?

thanks
  • Reply 80 of 109
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    A spin job

Illustrator CS is SO neat...