Apple Tablet PC

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This past weekend I went to apple store in houston and I was informed by an apple employee that apple would be releasing a tablet PC. I did not get this from a rumor site or anything like that. I heard it directly from an apple employee. Does anyone have more info.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 170
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    Let me add to that they stated it was about 9 to 12 months away but it was comming.
  • Reply 2 of 170
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Apple employees make stuff like that up sometimes then laugh when you walk away.

A tablet may be coming (someday) and they will be the very last to know.
  • Reply 3 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by DGNR8

This past weekend I went to apple store in houston and I was informed by an apple employee that apple would be releasing a tablet PC. I did not get this from a rumor site or anything like that. I heard it directly from an apple employee. Does anyone have more info.....

I think it was true it would be on the rumors sites already... I mean those retail guys are not exactly in the loop.

The addition of handwriting recognition definitely shows that Apple was ready to release a tablet if the trend took off. I am sure they have a prototype in the lab ready to go, but unless buying trends show demand for tablets... forget about it.

I just want my powerbook g5 please... OLED in there would be OsoNICE.
  • Reply 4 of 170
    I think Apple will release a tablet when the time is right. As it stands currently, the cost of components necessary to make a tablet render the prospect unfeasible.

If it were released now, with a touch-sensitive transflective display and a low-voltage G4, it would probably cost more than the 15" PowerBook. Even HP can't keep their tablet under $2K when it's equipped like Apple would do it--built-in wireless and so forth.

I don't think Apple is worried about demand for tablets. There wasn't much demand for MP3 players when the iPod was developed. An Apple tablet would create demand for tablets.

I wouldn't put too much stake in what Apple Store employees tell you about future products. They're kept in the dark just as is the public.
  • Reply 5 of 170
    Thats very interesting... Because he also stated that apple was also talking to nextel in regards to creating a pocket pc phone with the next direct connect feature. When he first stated this I was in heaven because I live and die with my customers thru the next tel direct connect feature. But as the weekend progressed and I had time to think about it I found it harder to believe. But just the thought of it ...Palm type OSX, Cell Phone and nexttel direct connect... that would be the ultimate solution for the network administration I have to do with my clients..

Any way I guess I will just tell this guy to find another sucker...
  • Reply 6 of 170
    Quote:

Thats very interesting... Because he also stated that apple was also talking to nextel in regards to creating a pocket pc phone with the next direct connect feature. When he first stated this I was in heaven because I live and die with my customers thru the next tel direct connect feature. But as the weekend progressed and I had time to think about it I found it harder to believe. But just the thought of it ...Palm type OSX, Cell Phone and nexttel direct connect... that would be the ultimate solution for the network administration I have to do with my clients..

Did you ask if he works for Mac OS Rumors?
  • Reply 7 of 170
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Given ALL the hard work that Apple's done to date in supporting iSync-ing with Nextel devices I'm 100% sure this stuff is "totally fer-real"

Sorry but someone is pulling your leg my friend.

Dave
  • Reply 8 of 170
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Sorry but someone is pulling your leg my friend.

Or DGNR8 is pulling your leg, DaveGee.

Escher
  • Reply 9 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Or DGNR8 is pulling your leg, DaveGee.

Escher

Yea but my leg ain't budging on this one... FIRMLY planted this time around. Twice bitten thrice shy (give or take). 8)

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 170
    OK, so I got snowed. I get it... I wish people would just it to you straight instead giving a load of crap. I can't stand salesmen.
  • Reply 11 of 170
    I can't stand people in this forum that treat others like retards just because they asked a question.

"Uh, sorry buddy, someone's pulling your leg. Uh huh huh huh"

Just say "It's not likely, man." Don't be an @$$ about it.

Edit: And while it may not be likely, an Apple Tablet would be fun (I don't know if it would be popular, but fun). 10 or 8 inch screen would be nice.
  • Reply 12 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

I can't stand people in this forum that treat others like retards just because they asked a question.

Edit: And while it may not be likely, an Apple Tablet would be fun (I don't know if it would be popular, but fun). 10 or 8 inch screen would be nice.

He got some ribbing but I don't think anyone hammered him too badly.

As far as tablets go the novelty wears off quick so there better be some compelling reason to use it over a traditional laptop. This is where I have the problem with tablets as a general use machine. They excel in very few areas and are horrible in many. An Apple tablet would certainly be cool but I'm skeptical whether or not it could become somthing as desireable as a PowerBook.

On a related note, the Navy was testing a program (I worked on) to use tablets for aircraft maintennance/troubleshooting and after the initial wow factor of using a tablet wore off they trashed all of them and went for plain old laptops. Reasoning was cost, ease of use, reliability (digitizers mostly) and crap battery life. Some of these issues can be addressed but they did not function for their assigned task well enough to distinguish them from regular laptops.
  • Reply 13 of 170
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

First the origional poster didn't so much as ask a question as spread yet another old and tired 'heard from an apple store employee' rumor. Gets pretty old after the initial thousand or so..

Second, thin skins and AI do NOT mix! If you're really and truly upset with what *I* said and find it oh so offending then it's time to hang up your AI nickname and go on to mr-rodgers.org! But be fore warned, some of those 7 year olds can be kinda caustic before their naps!

Oh, and imagine that! I answered your post without calling you a mentally challenged human being AND without calling you a dirty-word spelled out with cute symbols... Pretty neat eh?

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 170
    Quote:

First the origional poster didn't so much as ask a question as spread yet another old and tired 'heard from an apple store employee' rumor. Gets pretty old after the initial thousand or so..

Second, thin skins and AI do NOT mix! If you're really and truly upset with what *I* said and find it oh so offending then it's time to hang up your AI nickname and go on to mr-rodgers.org! But be fore warned, some of those 7 year olds can be kinda caustic before their naps!

Oh, and imagine that! I answered your post without calling you a mentally challenged human being AND without calling you a dirty-word spelled out with cute symbols... Pretty neat eh?

Dave

Dave, don't be afraid to type @$$. You'll still be a respectable geek pundit if you do. hehe

On a sad note, you did answer my post showing how mentally challenged you look when you try to impress your AI buddies.

Cheers.
  • Reply 15 of 170
    Quote:

Dave

Oh, I apologize, didn?t mean to upset you. I am a new member, not a perfect and wise member like your self. I just thought that someone "WHO WORKED FOR APPLE!" had told me that a new product was coming soon and I could go somewhere like, I don't know AI to get some sort of confirmation or to see if someone else had heard about it. I didn?t know that I needed to get approval form older members before I was allowed to participate. I guess I was wrong.

As far as a though skin well don?t worry I have no problem with any one disagreeing with me, but I will say this, my skin does not seem to be the issue as much as other peoples ego's seem to be. It looks like people are more interested in showing how much smarter they are, than to be constructive. I myself would have been more apt to say something like, I don?t know "Hey dgnr8, apple employees are know for doing this to consumers, don?t believe it till you see it." but that?s just me.

As far as hanging up nickname name and going somewhere else, my question to you would be who maid you god. It has been since I have met one, but I guess there is still a ton of arrogant people left in this world. There no need to be so disrespectful and condescending to other members. You really need to stop and check yourself. I am no angel but I'll be damned if I treat people like this if I didn't know them and they didn't deserve it.

I didn't join AI to vent like this but someone had to say it. We all come here for our reasons, but if are tired of seeing "yet another old and tired 'heard from an apple store employee' rumor" then why do you even reply, I mean come on. Did you ever here the old saying "If you nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all". I didn't join AI to offened people, I joined because I wanted to ask a question.

DGNR8 DONE!
  • Reply 16 of 170
    First nobody upset me... Second that post of mine that you quote was NOT directed or even addressed in any way shape or form to you.

How did this all start? With me saying something that to be honest just doesn't sound like any justification for the attacks monkeyastronaut shot at me.

I quote the offending text (maybe monkeyastronaut will get even more pissed off now): "Someone is pulling your leg?"

And what was said back to me? monkeyastronaut said that I was "treating you like a retard" and and I was "being an @$$"

As far as personal attacks go... they seem to ALL be directed **AT** me (clearly against AI forum rules I might add). Finally, what's with this sudden out break of 'on the rag' AIers lately? Maybe it's time for some of us to up the motrin dosage eh?

Dave
  • Reply 17 of 170
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Jeez people, take a pill. Maybe a tablet...and back on that thought......

I think an Apple tablet could be coming, but I think it may have something to do with the Powertune-enabled iMac. Fun times are these....

Let's continue the discussion with a bit more focus on the topic rather than bashing the hell out of each other, ok?
  • Reply 18 of 170
    To DaveGee...

I apologize for my comments. I was already up set with Escher for implying that my post was less than honest and more a rumor post. As I watched the following reply's I could not help but think, "I just wanted to know if a tablet was true". So with that I do apologize...I hope you can accept that.
  • Reply 19 of 170
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    You may have noticed that Apple never, ever talks about future products officially.

Yeah, yeah I know.

OK, whenever Apple makes a statement about a potential device, they do it for a DAMN good reason. And they never, ever lie; that's called 'class-action suit' or SEC inquiry.

So, WHY THE HELL WOULD ANYONE THINK THERE'S A TABLET COMING?

Calming down, let me add ... Steve is on the record saying tablets, PDAs and an Apple iPhone are not on the cards. He's PROUD of not releasing things that aren't right.

No tablet.

But don't worry. Cool shit, I'm sure. You wouldn't want a tablet, believe me.
  • Reply 20 of 170
    Yeah, Dave's a little arrogant, ill-manered, but he's still fun to read. hehe. We still luv' ya Davie.

ANYWAY, if Apple did release a tablet I would hope it runs MacOS X, not some different OS like the iPod. And make it smaller than a 12 inch screen. I think 8 or 10 would be pretty comfortable specially if it won't have a built in keyboard. However, I really doubt we'll see anything like this in the near future. I think Macs aren't getting any smaller than the 12 inch PowerBook, which is an already extremely compact system.