What could this be?

Comments

• Reply 301 of 525
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merlion

In fact it should me in a new thread. This is a monumental occasion! This dude knows what he is talking about. It looks as if it is indeed the new G5 iMac!

Just because the image is not photoshopped doesn't mean the product shown is the iMac G5. Again, the photos are not particularly sharp nor do they show anything that would suggest it is a full computer and not just a screen (or I believe a mock-up of a screen.) It's like photos of UFO's, always slightly blurry and not TOO revealing. 4 Days and we'll see the reall thing.

I also think that if it was the real deal Apple would have asked it to be removed by now.
  • Reply 302 of 525
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by genehack

http://homepage.mac.com/uli.heckmann/

conclusion-if its a fake it is IN the content of the picture

Excellent analysis. You've convinced me that this isn't a photoshop job. Where did you get the higher res images. Previously, I'd seen ones only about 200 pixels wide.

Now I'm most curious about the stand. How will apple suspend this display/computer above a work surface? It looks flat enough, and with wifi and bluetooth, wall mounting becomes an appealing secondary option. "Supercomputer for anywhere"
  • Reply 303 of 525
    johnjohn Posts: 99member
    What, is everyone ignoring vinney57? Take a look:

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10074

Looks like a pretty good match to me. Case closed?
  • Reply 304 of 525
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Excellent analysis. You've convinced me that this isn't a photoshop job. Where did you get the higher res images. Previously, I'd seen ones only about 200 pixels wide.

Now I'm most curious about the stand. How will apple suspend this display/computer above a work surface? It looks flat enough that wall mounting becomes an appealing secondary option. "Supercomputer for anywhere"

Heat from the G5 rises and will fill a nylon bag with hot air. The bouyancy provided will allow the computer to hover above the work area. The nylon bag will have vents to allow height adjustment.

Needless to say the new iMac will use wireless peripherals including power which will be inductively coupled to the new device.
  • Reply 305 of 525
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I have a bridge I'd like to sell you guys.
  • Reply 306 of 525
    macratmacrat Posts: 35member
    If it is the Lacie display, it is heavily modified. The Lacie has buttons along the bottom, a slotted grill along the back, and has a dark blue matte plastic frame. They would have to remove the buttons, fill the holes, fill in back grill, smooth out the plastic for the entire back panel, and paint the main frame a metallic color. It is a good match otherwise.

• Reply 307 of 525
    If we speculate about a size of ca. 1 inch per rubberdot on the floor,than the

box itself is ca. 13 "dots" long,Plus the space in between them,lets say half the dotsize adding up to a BOXSIZE of ca. 19" on the smaller side.

That box could easily keep a 17-20? display.Whether a tablet or a mirrordisplay which is detachable

From another (architectural) angle I believe that this is a handicap elevator and has a quite small platform at 42"x60" Also if you look at the standard baseboard of about 5" the screen is probably a maximum of 11x17 or even a bit smaller.
  • Reply 308 of 525
    johnjohn Posts: 99member
    Quote:

If it is the Lacie display, it is heavily modified.

Colored tape is "heavily modified"? Look at the curve of the "backpack" on the Lacie display and in the photos. The odds of that curve being exactly the same--same position, size, and slope--are slim to none.
  • Reply 309 of 525
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    I find it weird that noone has pointed out that the screen fits EXACTLY in the width of the box. When have you EVER seen a product from Apple where the product doesnt have styrofoam on ALL SIDES ?

On my Powerbook, there were 2-3 cm if styrofoam on each side on the computer.

Besides, I think there is a reason why the display isn't lying inside the box. it just wont fit in a box made for a Powerbook

.:BoeManE:.
  • Reply 310 of 525
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    It's obviously a freakin' fake.
  • Reply 311 of 525
    Actual photo!!! Here's the guy who unloaded that iMac from the plane:

• Reply 312 of 525
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    So it's a fake. But isn't this fun? Just a few more days...
  • Reply 313 of 525
    I am not sooo shure.

see the latest update here:

I am almost shure now we´re talking of a tablet here.

LG makes displays for Apple,LaCie and the ownbranded "all in one solution".

Its only logical for Apple to reduce costs.
  • Reply 314 of 525
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by genehack

I am not sooo shure.

see the latest update here:

I am almost shure now we´re talking of a tablet here.

LG makes displays for Apple,LaCie and the ownbranded "all in one solution".

Its only logical for Apple to reduce costs.

*WAY* dramatically too big to be tablet.
  • Reply 315 of 525
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Hey loved the third pic

I know! I know! its the iDog G5. Looks like a flat panel I have seen the design before - i think samsung...
  • Reply 316 of 525
    It's a fake already. The logo on the side of the box isn't even original. It's been photoshop'ed on. The second photo shows the distortion properly. It doesn't match the position and angle that it should be. Not to mention the first Apple logo is far to bright. No shadows or fade like the rest of the box.
  • Reply 317 of 525
    gmacgmac Posts: 79member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BoeManE

I find it weird that noone has pointed out that the screen fits EXACTLY in the width of the box. When have you EVER seen a product from Apple where the product doesnt have styrofoam on ALL SIDES ?

On my Powerbook, there were 2-3 cm if styrofoam on each side on the computer.

Besides, I think there is a reason why the display isn't lying inside the box. it just wont fit in a box made for a Powerbook

.:BoeManE:.

I'm not sold on the validity of this. But if they are prototype units, or demo units, there's nothing to say Apple couldn't just use any old packaging to transport them. I work in the high-tech industry and I know what goes into packing for a tradeshow - stuff it into anything that it will fit in!
  • Reply 318 of 525
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gmac

I work in the high-tech industry and I know what goes into packing for a tradeshow - stuff it into anything that it will fit in!

I doubt that is how Apple thinks about anything they do...
  • Reply 319 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by John

Colored tape is "heavily modified"? Look at the curve of the "backpack" on the Lacie display and in the photos. The odds of that curve being exactly the same--same position, size, and slope--are slim to none.

Besides, the Lacie Displa is much thicker than what we saw in the fotos

-Alex
  • Reply 320 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by ace_151

It's a fake already. The logo on the side of the box isn't even original. It's been photoshop'ed on. The second photo shows the distortion properly. It doesn't match the position and angle that it should be. Not to mention the first Apple logo is far to bright. No shadows or fade like the rest of the box.

OMG! It's not Photoshoped! get over it, it's not real, but it's not photoshop either. It's just a hoax with an LG, Lacie, or SONY, or something else.

-Alex