the unofficial college football thread

Comments

• Reply 41 of 232
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Iowa State just about pulled off the upset in Iowa City. Good tough game.

Is Magicfingers still around? He's gotta be loving that Irish win.

J
  • Reply 42 of 232
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Saturday's Cal game versus New Mexico St. was promising. I'm looking forward to reading the reviews tomorrow. I think Cal's offense made some errors and didn't play their best game, but overall did fine. Defensively I thought we played very well. We were good overall but we'll need to tighten things up if we're gonna beat USC.
  • Reply 43 of 232
    damn, the big xii and the pac 10 looked like poo this weekend. what the fvck is up with the big twelve north? colorado is lucky to have 2 wins and after kstate, nebraska, and missouri all lose, kansas might be the best of the bunch. kansas for god sake.
  • Reply 44 of 232
    Looks like Cal is ranked 10 nationally. Nice!

Go Bears!

And on Thursday, ESPN is airing Cal v. Southern Miss. I can't wait.
  • Reply 45 of 232
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Looks like Cal is ranked 10 nationally. Nice!

Go Bears!

And on Thursday, ESPN is airing Cal v. Southern Miss. I can't wait.

I wonder who is ranked #1 nationally? Hmm...

• Reply 46 of 232
    Quote:

Originally posted by cooop

I wonder who is ranked #1 nationally? Hmm...

Lol... Ranked #1 until Cal rolls over SC again like last year. Think the game will go into super duper overtime again?
  • Reply 47 of 232
    I just heard that Cal's Thursday game against Southern Miss has been postponed due to Hurricane Ivan. No firm date yet, but sometime in December.

Damn!
  • Reply 48 of 232
    So... anyone see any games this weekend? I saw the end of the 2nd quarter of the USC/BYU game. Final score was 42-10, or something like that.

Two weeks 'til the Cal/USC match. Good times.
  • Reply 49 of 232
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Watched the UF-Tennessee game. Good game for the most part, but I'm convinced that every freaking ref is against UF. Ref stares at Dallas Baker getting slapped... he slaps back, Baker gets penalty. It's not as if the ref didn't see the first penalty. Bah.
  • Reply 50 of 232
    My Saturday:

1. Listened to the exciting ISU win over Northern Illinois at work.

2. Accidently cut the entire middle fingernail off my left hand (I work in a grocery store meat department)

3. Went to hospital for treatment

4. Got home in time to see Arizona State put the finishing touches on their throttling of Iowa.

A pretty good day, all things considered!

J
  • Reply 51 of 232
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

So... anyone see any games this weekend? I saw the end of the 2nd quarter of the USC/BYU game. Final score was 42-10, or something like that.

Two weeks 'til the Cal/USC match. Good times.

Three weeks, actually. It will be a good time indeed.
  • Reply 52 of 232
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cooop

Three weeks, actually. It will be a good time indeed.

looks like we may be beaten to the upset punch

21-10 right now
  • Reply 53 of 232
    Man, the Stanfurd vs. USC game was surprising.

Makes me think that Stanfurd is better than I've given them credit. Although there were a lot of fumbles. Better than the past two years for sure!

What does this say about the Cal vs. USC game in two weeks? USC's by-week scares me. No matter, as long as we play a strong game that day I'm confident we'll win. Go Bears!
  • Reply 54 of 232
    Quote:

Man, the Stanfurd vs. USC game was surprising.

Makes me think that Stanfurd is better than I've given them credit. Although there were a lot of fumbles. Better than the past two years for sure!

What does this say about the Cal vs. USC game in two weeks? USC's by-week scares me. No matter, as long as we play a strong game that day I'm confident we'll win. Go Bears!

Stanford is definitely a stronger team. But the 2nd Half highlighted that they still have a looooong way to go. Their offense was nonexistent and their defense crumbled. They played above their level for a half....anyone can do that. They had an excellent shot at an upset and blew it.

Cal vs. USC

I think USC is very very overrated. I have not been impressed. They can string together a couple good drives but they are not as strong as last year and have proven to be not consistent. Cal is playing amazingly well, the 2 weeks off could hurt....or it could give them a ton of time to prepare and watch tape of USC. Cal has nothing to lose.....and that's a big factor.

will be fun
  • Reply 55 of 232
    it's quiet around here of late. to quiet. big weekend for CF. some big games loom on the horizon, no bigger than OU - texas, at least not for me. here they are, what are your predictions? feel free to add to list.

Oklahoma-Texas

California-USC

Wisconsin-Ohio State

Tennessee-Georgia

Minnesota-Michigan

LSU-Florida
  • Reply 56 of 232
    Nobody's had much to say about ol' LSU in a while... Perhaps it was that well-deserved and well-delivered ass-whoopin' they received, courtesy of the Georgia Bulldogs last week. We're looking forward to hosting you this weekend, Tennessee. Hopefully after your loss to Auburn you should be fired up for a real exciting game of ball tomorrow.

GO DAWGS! SIC EM! WOOF WOOF WOOF
  • Reply 57 of 232
    The USC-Cal game finished a little bit ago. USC played fairly consistently the entire game. While I thought Cal played better most of the time, I believe Cal's loss was also their doing. Cal made too many errors and they added up in the end.

Either way, a good game. I can't wait for next year.

But for now, off to drown my sorrows in alcohol.
  • Reply 58 of 232
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

The USC-Cal game finished a little bit ago. USC played fairly consistently the entire game. While I thought Cal played better most of the time, I believe Cal's loss was also their doing. Cal made too many errors and they added up in the end.

Either way, a good game. I can't wait for next year.

But for now, off to drown my sorrows in alcohol.

Very bittersweet game. We made a lot of mistakes yet came one pass away from winning. I think Cal is the better team and USC is overrated. If they played each other next week the outcome could easily have Cal on top. That's why football sucks (or i guess why some like it)
  • Reply 59 of 232
    Ton of good games today, but damn, I wish I could have seen that Cal/USC tilt.

23 straight passes:

J
  • Reply 60 of 232
    we didn't have any coverage of the usc - cal game, which was kind of a bummer. sounded like a great game. tough luck for cal, sounds like everyone is saying that the better team didn't win. should be smooth sailing to the orange bowl from now on for the prophylactics.

OU - texas was great. i could have done without the rain, but winning made it bearable. Closer than i expected it to be. i really thought we would have had a bigger day through the air. credit goes to the texas d for doing a pretty good job in limiting what clayton was able to do. the weather sure didn't help us much either. turnovers seemed top plague both teams, which isn't all that unusual for this match-up. there was some nice hitting going on both sides of the ball.

peterson was a stud. i can't wait to see how this kid continues develop.

our defense looked very good. we may be more talented than i gave them credit for through the first 4 games.

the officiating seemed pretty shitty from my crimson colored glasses in the stands. lose the "interception" that hit the ground and the reception that was called "out of bounds", both deep in texas territory, and the game might have been a little more comfortable for my taste. i'm sure we were given a gift or two from the men in stripes that we didn't deserve, but that's the breaks.

i saw lynn swan before the game outside the cotton bowl. if i wasn't so hung over from friday's pre game drinking, i might have said something to him more than "uhh, hi". he looks to be in pretty damn good shape for guy that has to be close to 50 by now.