Mac mini misses its target consumer

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The purpose of the Mac mini was to get Windows users to buy a Mac.

Here's a few problems with this design:

1. No keyboard and mouse? Just bizarre. People want to open the box and use it, now they have to pick out a keyboard and mouse seperately? Don't tell me they can use what they have now. When many people buy a new computer they give their old one to the kids.

2. Skimpy RAM. Without a necessary factory installed RAM upgrade(expensive) the computer will run like ass right out of the box.

3. Measly 2 USB ports means a hub is most likely a necessity.

4. No Word Processor induded? This is maybe the most bizarre ommission. Why not include the new iWork? All PCs come with Microsoft Works and Windows users expect it and they should.

The machine is cool, but flawed, hopefully not fatally. I can see some Mac users going for it, but I think switchers will be turned off to Apples stinginess when it comes to the obvious.

You can buy a PC and a monitor, including keyboard and mouse, 512 Mb RAM which you can upgrade yourself, etc etc. for $499.

I just wish Apple could just simplify things and put out a small upgradeable tower with all the trimmings. It would have cost them almost zip to build and it would have been more things to more people.

A $499 tower would fly off the shelves, an obvious point that somehow continues to elude Steve Jobs.

JMHO

Comments

• Reply 1 of 289
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Appleworks is included.
  • Reply 2 of 289
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Appleworks is included.

It is? I dont see that mentioned on Apple.com
  • Reply 3 of 289
    It's in the technical specs.
  • Reply 4 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

It's in the technical specs.

How do you like that, you're right.

Isnt it odd that Apple didnt list it under 'software'?

OK, thats one objection erased.

Now, about the RAM, keyboard and mouse.

For me personally the missing keyboard is the only annoyance, I hate Apple's mouse anyway.

The RAM on all Apples machines should be 512MB.

Now, Apple resellers may offer a free 512Mb RAM upgrade like they do on other Macs. Which means another $30 for installation. Lets see if it happens.
  • Reply 5 of 289
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

1. No keyboard and mouse? Just bizarre. People want to open the box and use it, now they have to pick out a keyboard and mouse seperately? Don't tell me they can use what they have now. When many people buy a new computer they give their old one to the kids.

2. Skimpy RAM. Without a necessary factory installed RAM upgrade(expensive) the computer will run like ass right out of the box.

4. No Word Processor induded? This is maybe the most bizarre ommission. Why not include the new iWork? All PCs come with Microsoft Works and Windows users expect it and they should.

The machine is cool, but flawed, hopefully not fatally. I can see some Mac users going for it, but I think switchers will be turned off to Apples stinginess when it comes to the obvious.

You can buy a PC and a monitor, including keyboard and mouse, 512 Mb RAM which you can upgrade yourself, etc etc. for $499.

I just wish Apple could just simplify things and put out a small upgradeable tower with all the trimmings. It would have cost them almost zip to build and it would have been more things to more people.

A $499 tower would fly off the shelves, an obvious point that somehow continues to elude Steve Jobs.

JMHO

Sorry, but I don't think that any of your complaints are particularly valid at that pricepoint. Sure, 512MB RAM by default would be nice, bundled keyboard and mouse would be nice, but both can easily and cheaply be taken care of.

The only nitpick I might make is that I think they should have put at least one USB port on the front, but I assume that the designers wanted to make the device look as clean as possible from the front.
  • Reply 6 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

Sorry, but I don't think that any of your complaints are particularly valid at that pricepoint. Sure, 512MB RAM by default would be nice, bundled keyboard and mouse would be nice, but both can easily and cheaply be taken care of.

The only nitpick I might make is that I think they should have put at least one USB port on the front, but I assume that the designers wanted to make the device look as clean as possible from the front.

I sell computers and i know what people are looking for. I think the omissions will be an issue for a lot of people.

Apple needs to put out products that dont give people a reason NOT to buy it.

Don't forget-Apple is competing with the reality of PCs, not other Macs.

That said, its a cute little bugger.
  • Reply 7 of 289
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    20 seconds after the 499 Mac starts selling, the complaints begin. How surprising.
  • Reply 8 of 289
    Quote:

I sell computers and i know what people are looking for. I think the omissions will be an issue for a lot of people.

if you know so much about what people want, why isnt your business up there with apple? another option is to apply at apple in marketing. when apple goes bankrupt you can call me out and i'll gladly apologize. there are obviously plenty of people that apple IS hitting the target with.
  • Reply 9 of 289
    Quote:

The goal was to make it the most afordable possible. So they removed everything.

- It will be a gadget for PC users (so they can give a try to OS X.)

- A secondary Mac for regular Mac users (something dedicated to Photos, Music, etc... Not the thing you work with.)

- It's not for your mother. She should buy a full iMac. (because, well, it's fully loaded ;-)

Quote:

2. Skimpy RAM. Without a necessary factory installed upgrade(expensive) the computer will run like ass right out of the box.

Most people won't notice - and they know the concept : Upgrade what's necessary, gradually

Quote:

What do you expect ? 8, 16 ports ? Use a bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse. Many people (like me) never Print anything. So 2 ports is Ok

Quote:

Ok fine. they should have included iWorks, or at least Pages. But look at what you have : iPhoto, iTunes, GarageBand, iMovie... etc. Most people (again: like me) don't spend their time writing leters. It's an entertainment system, not an Office Computer ;-)

Quote:

How and why do you want Apple to compete 'eye by eye' with the Low-Cost PC Market ? That's still no-way. You can not sell Ferrari(s), Smarts and Thai 'TukTuk' at the same time and still be coherent

Quote:

JMHO

A 499? tower loaded with Windows would fly off the shelves even better.

The goal here is to create a new market (like the ipod did). Not to compete against what's unbeatable.
  • Reply 10 of 289
    Quote:

In my experience of the usual places where you can buy both PCs and Macs, it's the spotty half-witted teenage sales guys that put the consumers off buying Macs.....

"It's MUCH slower than a PC....just look at the CPU clockspeed for a same-price PC ", "You can't do your ....er.....office stuff....on a Mac", "There's no software for the Mac" etc etc etc.

You seem a lot brighter than that, but a lot of sales guys seem prejudiced on account of their own ignorance; the consumer just generally ends up getting the rough end of the pineapple.
  • Reply 11 of 289
    >]The goal was to make it the most afordable possible. So they removed everything.

- It will be a gadget for PC users (so they can give a try to OS X.)

- A secondary Mac for regular Mac users (something dedicated to Photos, Music, etc... Not the thing you work with.)

- It's not for your mother. She should buy a full iMac. (because, well, it's fully loaded ;-)<

A secondary Mac for Mac users-this is the target it hits, most definitely.

For PC users, it should have included a mouse and keyboard.

>Most people won't notice - and they know the concept : Upgrade what's necessary, gradually<

You can't-RAM must be installed by Apple or a reseller. If it had 512Mb, it wouldnt be an issue.

>Ok fine. they should have included iWorks, or at least Pages. But look at what you have : iPhoto, iTunes, GarageBand, iMovie... etc. Most people (again: like me) don't spend their time writing leters. It's an entertainment system, not an Office Computer ;-)<

It seems it does include Appleworks, which is fine.

>How and why do you want Apple to compete 'eye by eye' with the Low-Cost PC Market ? That's still no-way. You can not sell Ferrari(s), Smarts and Thai 'TukTuk' at the same time and still be coherent

A 499? tower loaded with Windows would fly off the shelves even better.

The goal here is to create a new market (like the ipod did). Not to compete against what's unbeatable.<

Thats their target.

My point is that a small tower would be easy and cheap for Apple to build, would appeal to PC users, and would have allowed for the inclusion of keyboard, mouse and more RAM, more ports.

I think my points are valid, but you make an intelligent counter-argument which is why I responded to your post.

The other 2 posts before yours are just a dig at me so I won't respond. All I'm doing is pointing out possible problems with the machine hitting their target, which is supposedly current PC users.

Hey, I hope I'm wrong, I want to see Apple gain market share.
  • Reply 12 of 289
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I'm with you on the keyboard problem. The problem I see is that most cheap new PC's still use PS2 connectors on their keyboards and mice so this is what people have laying around. Perhaps they'll make a special point at Apple stores to carry those cheap adapters that I see others have posted. Still, If the sales guy doesn't ask the customer could go home without it pretty easily. (if they even know the right answer to begin with.)

"What kind of keyboard do you have?"

Joe Blow: "er.... a normal one?"

"Oh, USB, ok, you'll be fine."

Joe Blow at home: "What the hell, that 'genius' with the pink hair told me this would work... There isn't even a correctly shaped hole!

The RAM I noticed as well, but I'm not too worried about that. We got dad a used G3 400 for Christmas (right before I read the rumors about the mini ) and it only has 256. Once we put a 7200 rpm drive in there, it's indistinguishable from my Quicksilver 867 running 768 megs until it starts rendering iMovie stuff, etc. Joe Blow is gonna think it's fast if his programs open fast, and that'll be about all he cares about.

The biggest problem I expect with the RAM is all these Windows users who will be clicking the little red x and thinking the programs are closed. I don't think it'll be long before they notice a huge slowdown but not all the little black triangles on their docks! Unfortunately that'll probably mean we'll hear a lot of "Well, I like my Mac, but I can only have it on for a few hours before it gets really slow. Then I have to restart."
  • Reply 13 of 289
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Considering the Mouse and Keyboard cost about $30 each it would put the price up alot. You can buy a USB mouse and keyboard for $5-7 together from the right sites or use an existing one etc.

Memory could be a problem but if it is 333mhz DDR then a 1GB stick purchased at a later date would fix that.

Can the HD be swapped out to a 200GB 7200rpm?

Dobby.
  • Reply 14 of 289
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    I sell computers as well - we're going to sell these things in DROVES.

"I just got this home a week ago and it's got a worm/virus/spyware already?"

"What's your cheapest computer?"

"I'm just looking for something basic!!"

These questions and statements encompass a large portion of the customers that come into my retail location. These folks don't care that their emachine has 256 mb of ram, they care that it's $650 canadian.

The Mac mini is $629 with a better OS and more software.

DROVES.
  • Reply 15 of 289
    Quote:

My point is that a small tower would be easy and cheap for Apple to build, would appeal to PC users, and would have allowed for the inclusion of keyboard, mouse and more RAM, more ports.

Well. You can add this and that and this... But the price wouldn't be what it is: 499$

Apple is very clear on one point : They sell you a Half-Computer.

They don't make mistery that it's not an out of the box working machine.

It will be a pet computer for a while for both Mac and curious PC users (maybe a kind of Troy horse for some of them I hope).

The ideal target IMHO are PC iPod users.

Someone who has an 40 or 60 Go iPod whose iTunes stores the equivalent Gigs on its PC HD (which is pretty huge) and that wants to externalize the Music stuff. Then maybe the Troy effect will occur ;-) He discovers OS X and becomes a switcher...
  • Reply 16 of 289
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Even at the price I think skimping on the mouse and keyboard is a little silly. It would be like selling an iPod without headphones, but worse since people generally have a pair of headphones lying around the house.

I think 256Mb of ram is a little skimp but whatever.

Otherwise a brilliant package (For the price anyhow)!
  • Reply 17 of 289
    Skipping the keyboard allows for a smaller package, for further cost savings. I'm sure Apple had to work hard to keep costs down while maintaining a decent margin, to get the price so low. I think they've done a fantastic job of offering a very enticing product. I just ordered mine.
  • Reply 18 of 289
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    If Apple had bundled a mouse and keyboard, we would be hearing the following:

- "I don't want that mouse, why should I have to pay for it? I have 15 mice in a closet."

- Same for the keyboard: "I don't want to be forced to use Apple's keyboard. Why can't Apple just let me pick up a cheap USB keyboard and save money, instead of forcing me to pay for their high-priced keyboards?"

At least 6 years now we have been hearing stuff like the above. Apple finally unbundles it and now people want stuff BUNDLED? Go buy a mouse and keyboard, fer chrissakes. Have your "CHOICE" (favorite PC user word) of all the mice and keyboards in the universe.

And why in the world would you want a "tower" instead of this tiny compact beauty? If you think Apple is going to let you buy a $499 box with slots and drive bays and let you cheaply upgrade it yourself, and thereby kill the sales of their higher-end products, DREAM ON.
  • Reply 19 of 289
    Thats part of the problem, not to mention the command and control buttons are not in the same place as windows keyboards.

Add an apple mouse and keyboard and that another $60 or so to add to a $499 machine. Not a good thing. Apple needs to get away from the esoteric thing a little and start understanding what consumers are looking for in a computer. (I don't mean the typical Apple consumer, who will forgive Apple for everything)

Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

I'm with you on the keyboard problem. The problem I see is that most cheap new PC's still use PS2 connectors on their keyboards and mice so this is what people have laying around. Perhaps they'll make a special point at Apple stores to carry those cheap adapters that I see others have posted. Still, If the sales guy doesn't ask the customer could go home without it pretty easily. (if they even know the right answer to begin with.)

"What kind of keyboard do you have?"

Joe Blow: "er.... a normal one?"

"Oh, USB, ok, you'll be fine."

Joe Blow at home: "What the hell, that 'genius' with the pink hair told me this would work... There isn't even a correctly shaped hole!

The RAM I noticed as well, but I'm not too worried about that. We got dad a used G3 400 for Christmas (right before I read the rumors about the mini ) and it only has 256. Once we put a 7200 rpm drive in there, it's indistinguishable from my Quicksilver 867 running 768 megs until it starts rendering iMovie stuff, etc. Joe Blow is gonna think it's fast if his programs open fast, and that'll be about all he cares about.

The biggest problem I expect with the RAM is all these Windows users who will be clicking the little red x and thinking the programs are closed. I don't think it'll be long before they notice a huge slowdown but not all the little black triangles on their docks! Unfortunately that'll probably mean we'll hear a lot of "Well, I like my Mac, but I can only have it on for a few hours before it gets really slow. Then I have to restart."

• Reply 20 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Considering the Mouse and Keyboard cost about $30 each it would put the price up alot. You can buy a USB mouse and keyboard for $5-7 together from the right sites or use an existing one etc.

Memory could be a problem but if it is 333mhz DDR then a 1GB stick purchased at a later date would fix that.

Can the HD be swapped out to a 200GB 7200rpm?

Dobby.

You cant add RAM yourself. Thats a problem. Theres also only one slot.