PowerMac - Anyone else waiting?

Comments

• Reply 161 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Again, 2.3, 2.5, 2.8 is most likely what we will see.

I don't think so. Apple has to justify the price for the top model. I believe they will offer something more along this line:

2.0, 2.3, 2.8 GHz
  • Reply 162 of 632
    Would it be feasible for apple to make an all-dual line-up? Instead of having single and dual versions of the 2.0, if that becomes the low end model, why not make the dual 1.8 the low end, then the dual 2.0, dual 2.3 etc.

Wouldn't the dual 1.8 be more powerful than a single 2.0?

Is having a 4 processor lineup (1.8, 2.0, 2.3, 2.5/2.8/3.0) too much?
  • Reply 163 of 632
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    They did before every clown in the world complained that the PowerMacs were too expensive so they removed a Processor, and dropped the price a bit. There is a chance that is a strategy of theirs to release all dual PowerMac then later offer the one single. Because it has happened that way more than once.

There was a dual 1.8.
  • Reply 164 of 632
    * raises hand *

I'm waiting. There are a lot of things I'd like to see, but mainly I'm waiting because I don't need one just this second. My MDD 1x2 is serving me pretty well.

I'd like to see a speed bump at least. Although, more important to me would be included features, like PCI-E, a third internal SATA, better stability with the built-in firewire, and better OEM graphics options. Maybe a little off the price too. But I'll be happy with whatever I can get.

* looking forward to a new PowerMac *
  • Reply 165 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

They did before every clown in the world complained that the PowerMacs were too expensive so they removed a Processor, and dropped the price a bit. There is a chance that is a strategy of theirs to release all dual PowerMac then later offer the one single. Because it has happened that way more than once.

There was a dual 1.8.

I know that's why they made the single processor 1.8 in the first place, but if they moved the current dual 1.8 down to the same price as the current single 1.8 ($1499), and then had your dual 2.0 ($1999) and so on, then I can't see people complaining.

They could have had a dual 1.6 instead of bringing out the single 1.8, but they'd already cleared out the 1.6 long before. Maybe now they know they need a cheaper alternative, so they'll keep the dual 1.8 in the lineup even after the upgrades...
  • Reply 166 of 632
    Well not like this is news, but I'll put my money on Apple holding off on Powermacs for four months until WWDC, and announce them with tiger. If your going to show off your Brand Spanking new OS you may as well have your best hardware to show it off on, and not show any of it until then.

My 2¢

WWDC June 6-10 2005
  • Reply 167 of 632
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    aw dont say that! terrrible news!

am going to see if I can hunt down a temporary mac to use and wait - HATE the idea of buying an 8+month old computer that Apple is going to upgrade in June! *frowns*
  • Reply 168 of 632
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Well not like this is news, but I'll put my money on Apple holding off on Powermacs for four months until WWDC, and announce them with tiger. If your going to show off your Brand Spanking new OS you may as well have your best hardware to show it off on, and not show any of it until then.

My 2¢

WWDC June 6-10 2005

Personally I don't think thats true. I have a feeling its going to be a quiet update just like last time.

I really don't think that Tiger and the Powermacs have enough to do with each other (besides 64bit support), compared to other models. Though I believe the machines were updated last year on the 6th or 9th of june?

Either way, If they don't come out in March... they will probably come out around may-june.

I just sold my dual 2.0 g5 today for what I paid for it 8 months ago (2k) so I'll be waiting with everyone else, unless I get a powerbook.

If I catch wind of the powermacs really getting a good upgrade, I'll buy one. To be honest the dual 2.0 was too much computer for me. Its a great computer... I don't think I ever once maxed out those processors for development, graphics, etc... except during benchmarking and rendering in cinema.

I'd like to see a different case next rev... I have a feeling we won't. I'd prefer at least another optical or hd bay stuffed in there.

Just my .02
  • Reply 169 of 632
    Quote:

My 2¢

WWDC June 6-10 2005

I agree as far as any major revision being timed with Tiger.

We still could see a minor overall options bump between now and WWDC

and still leave time for a major revision to show off Tiger.

Essentially putting memory and GPU cards on sale now as a pre-release

clearance.

Make that 4 cents
  • Reply 170 of 632
    So your saying 2 PowerMac revisions in the next four months. That's never happened you know.
  • Reply 171 of 632
    Onlooker is right,

They wouldn't do that for numerous reasons. Cost of production being #1.

The only mod they would do is add a machine to the lineup.

I really don't expect a huge update this round. Its been said before that apple may not really care about the powermac lineup anymore. They can't completely control the way IBM builds the processors, therefor trying to stay competitive in the mhz war is out of their hands. They do need to get better graphics cards... and I dont' mean high end, i mean mid range and pro range... quadro - firegl / x700 - 6600gt

That would be nice

Besides graphics cards and the addition of PCI-E I don't see huge updates... another 300mhz in processor speed, but that's it.
  • Reply 172 of 632
    I was thinking in terms of a "RAM/GPU SALE" standardizing 512MB as the minimum RAM and possibly a standard GPU boost to 128MB in the dual towers as more of a corrective tweak than an actual revision for any pre- Tiger PowerMac purchase.

This could be done easily without any change in processors.

Any change of processors would be another story completely.

A price drop along with ANY of these changes would certainly signal an EOL clearance for the existing line.
  • Reply 173 of 632
    I am sitting and waiting along with everyone else here.

I am new to the Mac world as I bought a 15" PB about 3 months ago.

I love the Mac OS and have found that other than playing games, all my personal and work related items get done on this little PB now.

I would love to switch over completely and buy a PM but keep waiting to see what is next.

I may buy with this next revision so I can get the dual 2.5 at the 2.0 price.

My only concern is gaming as I am old school with regards to FPS. I cannot do it with a game controller! Keyboard and mouse are a must.

Hopefully Mac will work on these issues so I can switch over completely and be the best Mac zealot that I can be.
  • Reply 174 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

First off...

X800 XT's aren't going to help the situation but add another graphics card in the middle of the pack. A 6800 Gt and 6800 Ultra will whomp on a X800 XT. Don't believe me? Go to anandtech.com and do some research. ATI is selling them for 500 a pop right now... so you can assume thats about the price apple will get rid of them for. This adds NO significance to graphic card line ups.

i was under the impression in the IMG article that the 6800 ultra gave better frame rates but when you turned on FSAA and AF at higher and higher resolutions the X800 XT started pulling away from the 6800 Ultra?
  • Reply 175 of 632
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    I just want Apple to include a video card in all the Powermacs that will drive the 30" Cinema display just as the ATI 9700 in the Powerbook 17" 1.67GHz. does.
  • Reply 176 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by BJNY

I just want Apple to include a video card in all the Powermacs that will drive the 30" Cinema display just as the ATI 9700 in the Powerbook 17" 1.67GHz. does.

There is nothing wrong with that!

I think Apple should several of the things recommended on this thread.

Better Video cards, more RAM and bigger drives.
  • Reply 177 of 632
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BJNY

I agree. At least on the high end PowerMac apple should offer this card in the box. It's crazy that on top on the high price of the 30" monitor you have to pay more for the card as well.

I hope Apple will take in consideration all these requests. More RAM, HD, DVD 16x, etc. It's about time and they have to have something better to offer their loyal clients for the prices they are asking for. I know Apple enthusiasts will always buy Apple (including me) but they should offer more bang for the buck with their current line up.
  • Reply 178 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

I agree. At least on the high end PowerMac apple should offer this card in the box. It's crazy that on top on the high price of the 30" monitor you have to pay more for the card as well.

Talk about strange huh.. That was the first thing I thought about when I looked at the 30" display. I was like: "Even if I could afford it right now, it's going to cost me another $600.00 for the damn card to use it." \ They should have had a better option than that. One of Apple's all time stupid moves. Well.. maybe not all time, but it was a stupid move.
  • Reply 179 of 632
    It's clear that PowerMacs have a bit of catching up to do.

The queston remains as to how much improvement

we will see in the nearest amount of time.

BTW,

I couldn't help but notice the new Dell 24" HD displays coming

soon for $1199.

Looks very much like a hybrid of the Syncmaster 24" not bad at all.

/http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/monitors/topics/en/monitor_feature?c=us&cs=RC956904&l=en&s=hied
  • Reply 180 of 632
    Yah I noticed this lcd too. 12ms response time. 1:1000 contrast, 24" and almost half of the cost than the 23" after rebates (dell is famous for rebates and coupon codes).

I've been telling my friend not to buy a 23" ACD for the last 6 months because of how much LCD prices were going to fall. The 20" 2001fp dell went from 1000 to 500 in that amount of time.

This new display is going to send apple off of their podium big time. Maybe SJ will realize they can't be such bullies with their insane prices on these displays.

Once again I agree with onlooker, The cards should come with built in support for the 30", I bet you more people would buy the 30" display if they didn't have to buy the card.

I think when this first came out it was a matter of cost and demand. They knew they weren't going to be able to keep up with demand in the beginning, so having an extra 600 card you needed to purchase would slow that down. Also it would raise the extra money the spent on R&D.

I agree with their tactics on the powerbook (adding the 64mb ram for 80 bucks to use a 30"). How many people are going to use a 30" on their powerbooks? Not many.

How many are goingn to sue a 30" on a powermac? A lot more than the powerbook users... have an upgrade option that's at the most 50-100 or just have it built in from now on. I have a suspision this will be a built in feature.