Items missing in Tiger.

Comments

• Reply 101 of 171
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

The 35 pass write is writing 0's to every block 35 times over. I am now approaching the 3 hour mark and I am on pass 3 of 7. It still says "Estimated time: 3 hours." When I tried the 35 pass it was like "Esitmated time: 12 hours." So I canceled that operation and decided to chose 7 and like I said it's been 3 hours and I've still got 4 more to go.

wow! I thought it wrote random data (or is that only in Panther)? I don't think I can be bothered to wait that long. I think I might do a zero data though.
  • Reply 102 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

wow! I thought it wrote random data (or is that only in Panther)? I don't think I can be bothered to wait that long. I think I might do a zero data though.

Check out my B.). Tiger still has Random Write + these other new options. The coolest in my opinion is the Erase Free Space button.
  • Reply 103 of 171
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Cool, I bet 35 passes takes an age! How many over-writes would you need to make it FBI proof!?

Yeah, how to make it FBI proof (or CIA proof, whichever is better )? I need to get rid of my consipracy theory's.
  • Reply 104 of 171
    rmh1572rmh1572 Posts: 94member
    Quick Question. Have we decided if Q2DE is actually enabled in the GM build of Tiger?
  • Reply 105 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rmh1572

Quick Question. Have we decided if Q2DE is actually enabled in the GM build of Tiger?

Seems we've not.

The MacNN Forum discusses this as well and the consensus is that it's not enabled.

That's really disappointing if this turns out true.
  • Reply 106 of 171
    groovergroover Posts: 29member
    I got that idea that Columns view is not in tiger by looking a the finder on Apple's site. I shows the view buttons in the window as icons, list, spotlight. I hope I'm wrong but watching the Keynotes in the past I don't think I am.

check it out

• Reply 107 of 171
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Groover

I shows the view buttons in the window as icons, list, spotlight. I hope I'm wrong but watching the Keynotes in the past I don't think I am.

check it out

Tell me it's not true .
  • Reply 108 of 171
    *nm Yeah, I see. I never really liked colum anyway.
  • Reply 109 of 171
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Groover

I got that idea that Columns view is not in tiger by looking a the finder on Apple's site. I shows the view buttons in the window as icons, list, spotlight. I hope I'm wrong but watching the Keynotes in the past I don't think I am.

check it out

That's a Spotlight search window where column view wouldn't make sense.
  • Reply 110 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

So this means that column view is still there?
  • Reply 111 of 171
    I think, even if they changed it, it looks like it would be just as useful as the column view, if not more so. It has all the info like the size, creation/mod date, stuff like that. I can't imaging it not being customizable also.

It's sort of like having all the different views in one. Thumbnail, listing, etc. and you can select which ones you want for which file types.
  • Reply 112 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

As I said earlier, Spotlight couldn't have column view. Column view is great so Apple will not be removing it.
  • Reply 113 of 171
    wi04kwi04k Posts: 5member
    don't worry, it is still there, just not for spotlight search result windows.
  • Reply 114 of 171
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

So this means that column view is still there?

Yep!
  • Reply 115 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Yep!

Great, thanks JLL .
  • Reply 116 of 171
    That isn't a spotlight search result window though. Spotlight search result windows are in the new platinum metal theme.

what about doing spotlight searches over the network or on external HDs? How does it work? What if someone removes a HD and changes it on a non 10.4 mac, then brings it back?

I want apple to start including better metadata support in its core apps. There should be a people attribute for just about every kind of file, including photos, docs, video...
  • Reply 117 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by Imergingenious

That isn't a spotlight search result window though. Spotlight search result windows are in the new platinum metal theme.

what about doing spotlight searches over the network or on external HDs? How does it work? What if someone removes a HD and changes it on a non 10.4 mac, then brings it back?

I want apple to start including better metadata support in its core apps. There should be a people attribute for just about every kind of file, including photos, docs, video...

It is a Spotlight powered Finder search; similar to the built in search in Panther and Jaguar. A column view for a search wouldn't work because the results all come from different folders/disks.
  • Reply 118 of 171
    Quote:

It is a Spotlight powered Finder search; similar to the built in search in Panther and Jaguar. A column view for a search wouldn't work because the results all come from different folders/disks.

Not really. Notice that items are grouped by TYPE. A column view would work just fine. The left-most column lists the TYPEs that were found, click on that, the right column becomes the list of data of that type, click on one of those, and the right-most column becomes a preview of that data.

In the screenshot provided, the TYPEs listed are: "Folders", "Images", and "PDF Documents". There is no reason to limit one to a "List View". The same information can be conveyed in a Folder view or Column view.

I haven't played with Tiger, but it *should* allow a column view there (if selected).
  • Reply 119 of 171
    Quote:

Originally posted by atomicham

Not really. Notice that items are grouped by TYPE. A column view would work just fine. The left-most column lists the TYPEs that were found, click on that, the right column becomes the list of data of that type, click on one of those, and the right-most column becomes a preview of that data.

In the screenshot provided, the TYPEs listed are: "Folders", "Images", and "PDF Documents". There is no reason to limit one to a "List View". The same information can be conveyed in a Folder view or Column view.

I haven't played with Tiger, but it *should* allow a column view there (if selected).

Well there isn't a column view for spotlight; column view is for a hierarchy of folders, not for document types. It would be confusing for users and I think Apple have the best solution which is the spotlight view, if you want it by type you can add criteria to the search, or use the list view.
  • Reply 120 of 171
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Cool, I bet 35 passes takes an age! How many over-writes would you need to make it FBI proof!?

If you want to be "fbi proof" forget doing these multi pass wipes, if it is that important, disassemble the HDD, and go over the surface of each platter with the rare earth magnet, then grind the platters to the dust from whence they came....

You can pretty much move the metal arround enough with 8 re writes, but if you have something to hide, get a new drive

if you incist on using the same drive, the only fool proof way is as follows:

one pass all 1's

one pass random data

one pass all 0's

rins and repeat 3x

geeze