Apple introduces two-button mouse [MERGED]

Comments

• Reply 81 of 239
    pretty cool, but the scroll ball on a mouse isn't exactly a new idea. Actually it looks a little small to me... it seems like it might become tedious with real usage.

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...251&pfp=BROWSE
  • Reply 82 of 239
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dak splunder

This left-right-diagonal scrolling is silly. How often do you actually scroll left or right, much less diagonally? 99% of all scrolling is up-down, when reading web pages, scrolling through finder windows, font lists, whatever.

Well, if you're doing graphics or page layout with it zoomed, you're moving all over the place. And I'd like to point out that sometimes when I use the scroll wheel in windows, it scrolls down until the end of the page, then, for some reason, starts scrolling right. Like what's up with that?

I think a good question would be whether the software allows you to limit scrolling in one direction (as well as can you turn off the right-click for those one-button users).

Quote:

Also, back and forward buttons (especially the "back" button) are amazingly important to have on the mouse, in browsers as well as the finder. And shift-click (open in new window or new tab) is also hugely helpful as a mouse button when browsing.

"Amazingly" important? I doubt its "Amazingly" important. I've never used a mouse with one, so I can't say how "amazingly" important it is. But I would suggest if it were that important, wouldn't ALL mice have them? Then again, I've never used these buttons on my keyboard, why would I think I would use it on my mouse?

As for shift-click, that is dependent on the mouse software and the ability of the browser to understand it. I have firefox at work set up to use the scroll-button click as an "open in new tab behind current one". But that's a firefox thing, not a mouse thing.

Quote:

Apple should consider the purposes of multiple buttons and scroll wheels before just coming up with whiz-bang technology. The biggest reason for extra functions on a mouse is to keep you from having to mouse all over the screen to perform basic actions.

Maybe they did consider all the purposes, but also realized that if they took them all into account, they'd be left with a 10-button mouse with three different scroll wheels on it. Or that they delved deeply into people's mousing habits and found that most people don't use 'back' buttons or shift-clicks or the like, and chose not to innundate their product with a confusing set of buttons, more of which can be incorrectly clicked and the like.
  • Reply 83 of 239
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NVRsayNVR

VERY COOL...

Apple is once again revealing their plans for "World Domination" and this little squeeker proves that the future for Apple is going to be incredible. Ever the innovator, Apple is looking far into the future and I like it!

Jump aboard you PC smucks or forever be left behind!

On the horizon:

New iPod Phone - will BLOW-U-AWAY!!!!!

"Think Alike... BE Different!"

I sense MACchine in this post.
  • Reply 84 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Remember what Macs are often used for. When in Photoshop, FCP, or any publishing program, I find horizontal scrolling with the "shift-scroll" combination to be an invaluble time saver. This should be even easier, though, along with Placebo, I wonder if I can scroll straight ahead, or with wavy lines. But I use a trackball anyway so...

In FCP, with a normal scrollwheel mouse, if you put the pointer in the timeline and scroll up/down the timeline scrolls left/right. Which is perfect. All horizontal scrolling applications should work the same way (and may).

Yes, Photoshop users scroll all over. And of course there is the spacebar+mouse to move the canvas, but this is a nice way of doing that with just one hand. But then again, any real Photoshop user has one hand on the mouse and one on the keyboard all the time (or one hand on the Wacom pen and one on the keyboard).

But most people use their computer to browse the web and type. Right?

:d
  • Reply 85 of 239
    Any word on if or when Apple will put two click buttons on ibook and powerbooks?
  • Reply 86 of 239
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

[B]

I think a good question would be whether the software allows you to limit scrolling in one direction (as well as can you turn off the right-click for those one-button users).

[B]

Yes and yes. Look at the Mouse Preference pane screenshot on the MM page on www.apple.com.

You can turn off horizontal scrolling. Or vertical scrolling. Or both.

You can also set both buttons as Primary clicks.
  • Reply 87 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

This scroll configuration sounds great for Photoshop users, but I'd like to scroll straight down a page instead of careening side to side, thank you very much.

You can turn off horizontal scrolling in the mouse preferences panel. As shown in apple's website.

http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/software.html
  • Reply 88 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

I sense MACchine in this post.

C'mon Gene, the MAC's a bit further out than I am and probbably a whole lot funnier too. LOL

"Think Alike...........
  • Reply 89 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Looks cool, but where is the bluetooth version?! I just ordered a bluetooth mouse for my new mac mini which arrived today. I was a bit miffed when I saw this, but now realise I didn't miss out since there isn't a bluetooth version of this (yet)

And I'd like to see a "Mini Mighty Mouse" for travelers.
  • Reply 90 of 239
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dak splunder

In FCP, with a normal scrollwheel mouse, if you put the pointer in the timeline and scroll up/down the timeline scrolls left/right. Which is perfect. All horizontal scrolling applications should work the same way (and may).

Yes, Photoshop users scroll all over. And of course there is the spacebar+mouse to move the canvas, but this is a nice way of doing that with just one hand. But then again, any real Photoshop user has one hand on the mouse and one on the keyboard all the time (or one hand on the Wacom pen and one on the keyboard).

But most people use their computer to browse the web and type. Right?

Yes, I know, but i would just like to have one way that I can do it so that I don't constantly have to change habits when going from one program to another.

Like Photoshop's Command +/- control. As they implement this throughout all of their programs, it just becomes more mindless to use, which is just what I like, so that I can concentrate on the work, and not have to remember how it works in the program I've switched to that moment.
  • Reply 91 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by budjens

And I'd like to see a "Mini Mighty Mouse" for travelers.

I think it would be called "Migthy Mouse Mini"
  • Reply 92 of 239
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NVRsayNVR

Jump aboard you PC smucks or forever be left behind!

It's against internet rules to insult someone, and then misspell the insult.
  • Reply 93 of 239
    sloanlosloanlo Posts: 13member
    Quote:

Originally posted by davey-nb

I use my bluetooth mouse about 4 feet from my mac.

Does anyone know how long the usb cord is on Apple corded mice?

Since I ordered the bluetooth set with my iMac I don't have a corded version!

Thanks!

The corded mouse is really short ?_Maybe 2 and a half feet. This is because it is meant to plug into the keyboard, not the computer (if you look at a windows mouse it's mega long).
  • Reply 94 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

It's against internet rules to insult someone, and then misspell the insult.

You can always get an extention.
  • Reply 95 of 239
    ejpejpejpejp Posts: 17member
    How long until apple authorized retailers get this? (Obviously you won't know exactly, but if you know on average how long it takes for them to get new products like this) I live a little far from a retail store so trying out at an authorized reseller is my only chance to try it out.
  • Reply 96 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

Here is what the thing looks like. It's very light. I'm going to take it for a spin right now:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1216

Best,

Kasper

Does the mighty mouse have the same size/dimensions as the normal mouse?

Cheers Daniel
  • Reply 97 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by dahacouk

Does the mighty mouse have the same size/dimensions as the normal mouse?

Cheers Daniel

It looks the same. Apple did a lot of work on the Pro mouse after all of the well deserved complaints about the round one.

By the way Kasper, what happened to your spin "right now"?
  • Reply 98 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Wanna bet?

Instead, we're going to see the "It should be the default!" whining.

Oh wait, it just started...

Damm, your correct
  • Reply 99 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Wanna bet?

Instead, we're going to see the "It should be the default!" whining.

Oh wait, it just started...

Damm, your correct

Well, of course it should be the default. The charge hasn't been for Apple to sell a two-button scrollwheel mouse, it was to include it standard with the Mac. Apple's been selling third-party mice for years. So what if this one has the Apple name on it. This needs to be the Apple mouse that comes with the Apple computer so that Macs have two-button mice with scrollwheels.

Yeeesh.

• Reply 100 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

...i'm just not that jazzed about replacing my batteries in my mouse every once in a while, especially when it's working fine one second, then, without warning, it stops, or sputters, then dies. better hope you have a wired mouse in a drawer, or spare batteries...

Hey! I've got to pull you up on this. And anybody else out there that doesn't use rechargeable AA batteries. If you don't then YOU SHOULD USE RECHARGEABLE AA BATTERIES. There is just no excuse not to. DON'T USE NORMAL (ONE USE) BATTERIES.

I have been using rechargeable AA's for years in my digital camera, minidisk, various torches, home phone, guitar, wireless mouse and keyboard. I've never had any problems, I always keep a spare set in the charger.

I have AA's dating back to 700 mAh - and that's a good few years ago - and they are still providing me with power. AA rechargeables are now up to 2600 mAh and that's a lot of capacity. Read what Steve has to say. And here's a good FAQ.

Don't use one-use alkaline or Li-ion AA's - stick to rechargeables - best to use NiMH (for AA size) - and SAVE YOURSELF HARD CASH and REDUCE TOXIC WASTE in the process - or vice versa. Sorry for shouting but this is such a no brainer...

So, there's no need for a dock for wireless version of mighty mouse. Just hope they use AA's so's I can whack in my rechargeables! ;-)

Cheers Daniel