Apple introduces iMac with built-in iSight

Comments

• Reply 61 of 138
    $1200 for a 2GB memory upgrade? Apple must be out of their minds... or at least the people who buy it are.
  • Reply 62 of 138
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

fair enough steve. this qualifies as a *great powerpc product* well done, and you came through on that promise. respects.

I will have to eat crow because I agree with your statement. This is a great powerpc product.

I am just pissed because I can't justify the purchase right now.
  • Reply 63 of 138
    Quote:

Originally posted by schmidm77

$1200 for a 2GB memory upgrade? Apple must be out of their minds... or at least the people who buy it are.

Note that the 1.5G option is $200. The cost of a 2GB stick is pretty damn high. On crucial's website it's above $1000. The big question is: Is the built-in 512MB a slot ("not user accessible") or is it soldered onto the motherboard?
  • Reply 64 of 138
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    spline: early indications show it is ONE user-accessible slot

aplnub: i hear ya brother. i was a bit down this afternoon 'coz i was like, i can't afford this at all right now

$200 for 1.5gb is frackin reasonable man...
  • Reply 65 of 138
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Note that the 1.5G option is $200. The cost of a 2GB stick is pretty damn high. On crucial's website it's above $1000. The big question is: Is the built-in 512MB a slot ("not user accessible") or is it soldered onto the motherboard?

judging by the upgrade options, there is only one available slot for memory upgrades.
  • Reply 66 of 138
    I know it wouldn't be the most seemless way to do it, but couldn't you buy the video adapter and run a cable to your tv so you could use front row on something besides the iMac?
  • Reply 67 of 138
    Originally posted by aturner10

I know it wouldn't be the most seemless way to do it, but couldn't you buy the video adapter and run a cable to your tv so you could use front row on something besides the iMac?

wirelessly would be the key here. you have the imacg5 in like the den, or study or something, where you might sometimes chillout/ work/ etc... but then have it wirelessly stream (via airTunesVideo or something) to the big plasma in your living room.

yeah. you could run the cable out of the iMacg5 (video mirroring or display spanning with screen_spanning_doctor hack) but it just doesnt make much sense to have a 20 inch screen near the big 42" hdtv unless you live in very cramped conditions.....

edit: note the imacg5 has only vga or s-video or composite(not component) output with the optional adapter(s?)

so they are not really gearing it for you to hook it up to your big screen tv... not yet anyway.
  • Reply 68 of 138
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nathan22t

what kind of batteries does the remote use?

its not often that i have to change the batteries in TV type remotes, but it does happen

CR 2032 or something.
  • Reply 69 of 138
    Quote:

spline: early indications show it is ONE user-accessible slot

Right. . . The thing is, I want to know if it's in any way possible to swap out the non-user-accessible memory. I have very memory-heavy requirements in a computer, but not really too much as far as CPU requirements. So I would rather have an iMac than a Powermac, but for the time being it seems like I can get a Dual 2.3GHz G5 w/ 2GB of memory and 20" cinema display for the same price as an iMac with 2.5GB.

I want to get a new computer before January, so I can sit tight and see what's the story. Or, for that matter, to see if dual core G5's come out.
  • Reply 70 of 138
    yeah i see your point. i have no further information at this point except if it is a standard 1 512mb built in, 1 accessible slot, it means that built in memory is from our apple experience, probably *impossible* to swap out. but you can prove us wrong
  • Reply 71 of 138
    pixpix Posts: 4member
    Even apple do not offer an upgrade to that memory chip on the store. It seems highly unlikely that it is possible to switch it at all. I suspect it is just chips soldered onto the board by the look of things.
  • Reply 72 of 138
    Quote:

Originally posted by pix

Even apple do not offer an upgrade to that memory chip on the store. It seems highly unlikely that it is possible to switch it at all. I suspect it is just chips soldered onto the board by the look of things.

That's possible, although I'd bet it's not. I have a feeling this whole memory debacle was a marketing move to keep powermac sales up until new powermacs are out. After all, they need to clear the channel.

The rationale: Companies that make memory sticks buy huge quantities of 1: memory chips, 2: memory stick controller ICs. It's cheaper for Apple to put a sub-$1.00 connector on the iMac board somewhere and fill it with an OEM RAM stick than it is to solder RAM onto the board. I bet the stick is on the other side of the board directly beneath the user upgradable slot.
  • Reply 73 of 138
    doesn't the X600 have VIVO, ie H.264 decode acceleration?
  • Reply 74 of 138
    According to hardmac.com the supply channels in Europe are pretty dry so I would say that PMs and PBs will be upgraded as soon as 10.4.3 is ready. Any developers working on it know how it looks for release? My bet (up to 25¢) is on dual cores for both. Freescale and IBM are supposed to be ready now and it would be a great finale for the PPCs at Apple.

As for those that recently bought a iMac, don't feel too bad. I bought mine at 6 AM the day it was announced and paid for the 250 GB HD, the 512 of RAM, Airport, Bluetooth, iSight and Mighty Mouse. You got a better deal than I did, but I'm still in love with it. Just remember that there will be moans from those that buy now when the Mactel version is announced.

At work I have a 23" display attached to my BP and must say that I prefer it to the iMac for hours on the computer each day. It also lets me get a PM one day when I can afford it.

A very good day for Apple yesterday - the competition is going to go nuts.
  • Reply 75 of 138
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    i guess this means steve finally got over his bias against TV and its convergence with PCs.

and the PCI-express update definitely gives some credibility to the TS rumor of new powermacs next week. they can't let the iMac be the monster of the litter for long.
  • Reply 76 of 138
    Quote:

oh F**** ME i just found out that the new iMac g5 is thinner, AND [Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive DualLayer] is now standard

The previous generation had a dual-layer 8X drive as well.

Quote:

CUPERTINO, California?May 3, 2005?Apple today unveiled a new iMac G5 line with faster 2.0 GHz PowerPC G5 processors, built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth wireless connectivity and ... a new 8X SuperDrive with double-layer support...

And as far as I can tell, the new ones are really only thinner at the edges.
  • Reply 77 of 138
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

That's possible, although I'd bet it's not. I have a feeling this whole memory debacle was a marketing move to keep powermac sales up until new powermacs are out. After all, they need to clear the channel.

The rationale: Companies that make memory sticks buy huge quantities of 1: memory chips, 2: memory stick controller ICs. It's cheaper for Apple to put a sub-$1.00 connector on the iMac board somewhere and fill it with an OEM RAM stick than it is to solder RAM onto the board. I bet the stick is on the other side of the board directly beneath the user upgradable slot.

Hmmm, indeed. Maybe we need to wait for kodawarisan to work some of that investigative magic...
  • Reply 78 of 138
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aturner10

wirelessly would be the key here. you have the imacg5 in like the den, or study or something, where you might sometimes chillout/ work/ etc... but then have it wirelessly stream (via airTunesVideo or something) to the big plasma in your living room.

Streaming wireless video from my eMac and iMac downstairs to AirPort Express connected to EyeHome in the living room upstairs has worked nearly flawlessly for almost a year. EyeHome's UI begs for improvement; it's usable enough. And no H.264 support (yet); that's okay for now.

AirTunes works great for streaming audio from different iTunes libraries accessed remotely with my iBook G3.

EyeHome is currently $99 (after $100 rebate) and it's easy finding an Airport Express for less than that. That's an under $200 wireless streaming media option you can buy right now.
  • Reply 79 of 138
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Anyone notice that there's no inbuilt modem?

Anyone on dial-up (there are still a hell of a lot of users on dial-up) have to buy an external Apple 56k modem add-on \

Would it have cost so much to include an internal modem? Space issues or just cost cutting?
  • Reply 80 of 138
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MiMac

Anyone notice that there's no inbuilt modem?

Anyone on dial-up (there are still a hell of a lot of users on dial-up) have to buy an external Apple 56k modem add-on \

Would it have cost so much to include an internal modem? Space issues or just cost cutting?

Most people don't need one - I would rather have the minority pay £35 then the majority have to pay more for a computer for something they don't need! I can understand that it does seem slightly backwards!