Apple unveils Intel-based MacBook notebooks

Comments

• Reply 41 of 440
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

It's ?1169 not ?1199

Euro price is including tax remember.

Hmmm. UK it's £749. Take off VAT, that's £637 or $1175 so not that far out from the US price.

This happens with cars too - the Europeans get taxed all to hell, and then complain that US prices are lower. You should be complaining about the taxes, as the untaxed prices are all about the same.

My $40K Volvo costs $100K in Sweden.
  • Reply 42 of 440
    quick question - i would like to display an image in my post. how do i do that? with the [url] tags? sorry i'm asking this here, but it's related to this thread. thank you.
  • Reply 43 of 440
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

This happens with cars too - the Europeans get taxed all to hell, and then complain that US prices are lower. You should be complaining about the taxes, as the untaxed prices are all about the same.

Even after tax differences it's sometimes a different price.

Given the choice of taxes, even Sweden's high taxes, or living in the USA, I'll take taxes every time thanks. :-)
  • Reply 44 of 440
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Well er, Sweden is the highest taxed economy in the world. However I think you need to go there to understand what benefits that can bring.
  • Reply 45 of 440
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

The Black one is going to fly off the shelves. Why pay $200 more? 'Cos its BLACK! Being one of the kool kids? .... priceless.

The new Apple MacBook ads:

I'm black y'all and I'm black y'all and I'm blacker than black and I'm black y'all! I'm bliggity black blacker than black black, I'm blacker than black yo because I'm black and I'm back.
  • Reply 46 of 440
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

Well er, Sweden is the highest taxed economy in the world. However I think you need to go there to understand what benefits that can bring.

I don't disagree - but if you choose to live there, then stop whining about the higher prices. Take ownership of your choice, and just sit back and enjoy the benefits you are getting for your tax money instead of worrying about the low prices we get in the USA. 8)
  • Reply 47 of 440
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by plasmo So when do you people think Merom/Core 2 Duo will become available in a Macbook?[/B]

October 17.
  • Reply 48 of 440
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

It's ?1169 not ?1199

Euro price is including tax remember.

Hmmm. UK it's £749. Take off VAT, that's £637 or $1175 so not that far out from the US price.

Oh that makes sense they never include tax when they are pricing something, but we do in Europe. The price we see is the price we pay. $1,186 in Ireland. Not so bad as I though. A little more, but that's to be expected here I suppose.
  • Reply 49 of 440
    "Back to black" or maybe "Black is beautiful"?

http://konkretdesign.net/pics/blackApples.jpg
  • Reply 50 of 440
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Glossy screen? WTF? Those suck.

Other than that it's okay. I'll take Option 2, the 2.0ghz and 60 gig drive in Black. Oh wait, I can't have that? FUCK YOU APPLE. Separating models by color...dumb.

For $200 more you get 20 gigs and "Black." And only 512 RAM?!

I think I'll wait over the summer and see if they get rid of this stuuuupid glossy screen. This I'm going to use for work a lot. It's gotta be perfect!
  • Reply 51 of 440
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

October 17.

That's pretty specific. Care to share why you pick that date.
  • Reply 52 of 440
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    woo for black!

willl they be in stores now?
  • Reply 53 of 440
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Looks excellent. Waiting for Merom is getting harder every day. With the black model hopes for a 12 in MBP are fading fast. Why no 1.6ghz model for 999? That's my only gripe.

http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/p..._Price_web.pdf

...because there's only a ~$50 difference to go down to 1.6GHz, and a ~$90 to go all the way down to the Core Solo. No Core processor change could shave off $100. The price differentials are probably even less at Apple's volume of buying. I think the price they chose is probably the "sweet spot" in terms of bang for the buck.
  • Reply 54 of 440
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    $1099 is a good value, imho, for the basic model.

beyond that, my comments:

* integrated graphics: expected.

* Glossy screen: will suck outside with the glare.

* 5.2lbs? Its a rock, not suited for school.

* Up to 6 hours battery life, 3.5 hours with wireless on...hmmm, not bad at all, I can deal with that.

* dislike 2x256 so-dimms because they both have to be replaced, but understand that dual channel is needed for integrated graphics.

* black model +$200 with only 20gb, HAHAH, nice move Apple, brilliant marketing!!! These WILL sell like mad. Wait a few months, black will be available on all, heck RED might be available on Friday!!
  • Reply 55 of 440
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/p..._Price_web.pdf

...because there's only a ~$50 difference to go down to 1.6GHz, and a ~$90 to go all the way down to the Core Solo. No Core processor change could shave off $100. The price differentials are probably even less at Apple's volume of buying. I think the price they chose is probably the "sweet spot" in terms of bang for the buck.

I didn't know they were priced so close together. I guess the 1.8ghz is probably in the sweet spot as you mentioned.
  • Reply 56 of 440
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

That's pretty specific. Care to share why you pick that date.

I think Wilco was being just a wee bit sarcastic... And besides, why not pull out a totally random date for a TOTALLY random useless and unanswerable question such as...

"When do you people think Merom/Core 2 Duo will become available in a Macbook?"

Now had Wilco answered 3:57PM then I woulda known FOR SURE that it was sarcastic.

Come on folks lets be just a little realistic with the speculation questions okay!

First and foremost, the freakin dies that stamped out the new black plastic shells for the Mac Books haven't even had a chance to cool down yet! Oh yea, and lets not forget that the Core 2 Duo is still 'in the future' too.

Dave
  • Reply 57 of 440
    I've never been happier to own a 12" PowerBook. Why do people want an ultraportable computer? Guess, go on. That's right, ultraportability:

MacBook

Height: 1.08 inches (2.75 cm)

Width: 12.78 inches (32.5 cm)

Depth: 8.92 inches (22.7 cm)

Weight: 5.2 pounds (2.36 kg)

PowerBook 12"

Height: 1.18 inches (3.0 cm)

Width: 10.9 inches (27.7 cm)

Depth: 8.6 inches (21.9 cm)

Weight: 4.6 pounds (2.1 kg)
  • Reply 58 of 440
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

woo for black!

There's Apple's market.
  • Reply 59 of 440
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    White 2.0 2GB 80GB on the way
  • Reply 60 of 440
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    are they really shipping these bad boys that fast?

im seeing 3-7 business days here.