Intel may launch Merom alongside Conroe

Comments

• Reply 101 of 151
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by pak150

Didn't Apple pull the "edu iMac" from its website because it's only available to schools, not for students? See this appleinsider link. The Christmas buying season may be important, but the upcoming third quarter shouldn't be written off. If the rumor mills are true, Apple doesn't release a new iPod, it's going to need strong computer sales in Q3 to keep the analysts happy.

Yeah, overall in the Edu segment things should tick along nicely with edu iMac and MacBook. In the Retail segment things should tick along nicely with *retail* iMac and filling MacBook demand. Let's not forget the Mac Pro in August and September.

So July-Aug-Sep is looking fine. iPod sales are slipping slightly, so we may see a nice range in released in September that will handle good four months (Sep-Oct-Nov-Dec) of iPod buying with fun and tasty new features.

Apple is looking solid through the end of the year, particularly with completing the Intel transition and *despite* as Apple openly admits, Pro sales being hurt by non-Universal Adobe apps and well, waiting to see what Mac Pros will deliver in terms of heat, performance, cost, Universal app speed, Rosetta app speed, etc.

Side note: It struck me that if Apple was really concerned about Pro sales, when the Mac Pros come out they need to maybe drag out some Rosetta benchmarks showing Adobe CS2 Suite and Macromedia Studio 8 suite doing quite well. So much so that the Pros with budget but holding back (because the PowerMac G5 could seem like a short-term solution in general) can then be confident enough to go for the Mac Pro, "suffer" without native Adobe/ Macromedia for a year at most...
  • Reply 102 of 151
    An updated iPod range with nice new features certainly needs to be released over the next few months, and definitely in time for Christmas buying season. IMHO, the range is getting really stale. It continues to thrive because of it's "de facto" status as THE MP3 player. Look at it's market share holding strong despite all sorts of other companies throwing new and innovative and what not mp3 players into the market. But anyway, a bit off topic so I'll cut it short.
  • Reply 103 of 151
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by pak150

Didn't Apple pull the "edu iMac" from its website because it's only available to schools, not for students?

Yes, I think Apple will definitely keep this policy through to the end of the year at least. The Edu iMac is very attractive to general consumers and would very likely eat into the higher-profit-margin Retail iMac.

I don't know what the scene is like but somehow as well Apple wants to keep the Retail iMac out there and chugging along because it has a decent gaming X1600 graphics card. Keeping the Retail iMac strong and out of the "threat" of the Edu iMac (which has non-gaming-capable integrated graphics) would also keep the Mac gaming scene chugging along, and with Bootcamp, the Retail iMac is excellent in being able to run a lot of the latest and greatest PC games at good and enjoyable visual and gameplay quality.
  • Reply 104 of 151
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by sunilraman

Quote:

Originally posted by pak150

Didn't Apple pull the "edu iMac" from its website because it's only available to schools, not for students? See this appleinsider link. The Christmas buying season may be important, but the upcoming third quarter shouldn't be written off. If the rumor mills are true, Apple doesn't release a new iPod, it's going to need strong computer sales in Q3 to keep the analysts happy.

Let's not forget the Mac Pro in August and September.

Apple is looking solid through the end of the year, particularly with completing the Intel transition and *despite* as Apple openly admits, Pro sales being hurt by non-Universal Adobe apps and well, waiting to see what Mac Pros will deliver in terms of heat, performance, cost, Universal app speed, Rosetta app speed, etc.

Side note: It struck me that if Apple was really concerned about Pro sales, when the Mac Pros come out they need to maybe drag out some Rosetta benchmarks showing Adobe CS2 Suite and Macromedia Studio 8 suite doing quite well. So much so that the Pros with budget but holding back (because the PowerMac G5 could seem like a short-term solution in general) can then be confident enough to go for the Mac Pro, "suffer" without native Adobe/ Macromedia for a year at most...

You may have noticed the way Apple danced around the timing for the pro releases. By the end of the year doesn't say much. I hope it isn't literal.
  • Reply 105 of 151
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

This puts *any* iMac update (probably Conroe IMO) in October for Christmas buying, or something fancy schmancy in January Macworld 2007.

There is also Apple Expo in September. The first G5 iMac was released in this event and I am inclined to believe that the next iMac update will happen at the Expo (it will be then eight months from the release of the Yonah iMac). This also gives plenty of time to the upcoming Mac Pros to enjoy their first role on the scene.
  • Reply 106 of 151
    Sometime between next Tuesday and the Apple Expo in September the iMac should be updated with the Conroe at the very least. The EDU iMac is not be intended to be the "back-to-school" version of the computer. That is intended to be the for the universities and high schools themselves to purchase and put in their computer labs. It was released at the Educators Expo last month because that is the universities buying season. The buying season for the actual students is coming up starting in August, just in time for the Conroe release. Trust me, I'm just out of college and this is the time that everyone goes for new stuff. Parents buy their kids new machines, kids take that student loan check and blow it on stuff other then books. I'll say it again, if Apple doesn't put out a mid-range computer (iMac) with the Conroe chip in it it will lose in all the sales competitions with everyone else (HP, Dell, etc). The bottom of the barrel Mac Pro, if it gets Conroe, wouldn't be enough. This next month we should see new, more powerful iMac and probably an announcment about Merom MBP's so that orders can be taken and then fulfilled right at the begining of the school year (early September). It just makes perfect sense. Then Christmas time you'll see you're updated iPod -- it's a gift after all -- and maybe a more powerful Mac Mini. This strategy would ensure strong sales in the final two quarters of the year for Apple.
  • Reply 107 of 151
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    now with Quad cores news,

i do not mind merom in iMac ... very soon it is going to be Quad core as well ...
  • Reply 108 of 151
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

now with Quad cores news,

i do not mind merom in iMac ... very soon it is going to be Quad core as well ...

If they can't put conroe in the imac due to heat concerns, what makes you think they can get a quad core in it?
  • Reply 109 of 151
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by jdcfsu

"The bottom of the barrel Mac Pro, if it gets Conroe, wouldn't be enough."

Whoa. Students have some high computing standards nowadays. Back in my day....
  • Reply 110 of 151
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by sunilraman

Quote:

...See my post above re: Edu iMac is already out, that's your back-to-school iMac all the way through to end of September. The iMac retail consumer version is very important for Christmas buying season so we might see either a small bump-type update or a full-on Conroe update.

I agree that Sep-Oct-Nov we'd be looking at MacBookPro and MacMini updates. MacBook updates might only round out the late part of the year, Oct-Nov. Since the current model looks solid and is selling strong all through to end of September.

With Intel experiencing problems with low chip demand I think that they would be VERY unhappy with Apple, who has shown considerable growth in market share over the last year, if they were to hold off releasing computers for two or more months with Intel's latest chips. Conroe is due out by the end of the month, and Intel will want Apple to announce a computer using this chip as soon as possible and to start shipping them ASAP as well. Also, Steve has said that they will release new computers when they are ready and not just at trade shows. It certainly will not take Apple 2-3 months for them to prepare computers using the Conroe when most of the leg work is done by Intel (as far as the chip set and motherboard design) and given that Apple has most likely had pre-production chips to start working with for quite a while.
  • Reply 111 of 151
    Quote:

Originally posted by JCG

Also, Steve has said that they will release new computers when they are ready and not just at trade shows. It certainly will not take Apple 2-3 months for them to prepare computers using the Conroe when most of the leg work is done by Intel (as far as the chip set and motherboard design) and given that Apple has most likely had pre-production chips to start working with for quite a while.

Then where are the Mac Pros? Woodcrest was announced last month yet no Mac Pro sightings.
  • Reply 112 of 151
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Then where are the Mac Pros? Woodcrest was announced last month yet no Mac Pro sightings.

Mac Pro is logically waiting for the developers confrence. That is where everyone who will want a Mac Pro will be waiting for one. They get announced at the confrence and get bought up. There isn't a huge Mac Pro competivive market to worry about like the iMac.
  • Reply 113 of 151
    pak150pak150 Posts: 18member
    Quote:

That's assuming that the Mac Pro was finished and only needed the new chip to be released. For all we know it wasn't ready last month.
  • Reply 114 of 151
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdcfsu

Mac Pro is logically waiting for the developers confrence. That is where everyone who will want a Mac Pro will be waiting for one. They get announced at the confrence and get bought up. There isn't a huge Mac Pro competivive market to worry about like the iMac.

Additionaly, the developers conference is a good place to have a dog and pony show and do a little bake-off with rosetta to convince the photoshop pros and what not that they can get by until Adobe gets a UB out.
  • Reply 115 of 151
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:

If they can't put conroe in the imac due to heat concerns, what makes you think they can get a quad core in it?

Quad Core Merom (or next version of Mobile CPU), if can Yonah & merom get Dual Core, why not quad core in the near future?
  • Reply 116 of 151
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

Quad Core Merom (or next version of Mobile CPU), if can Yonah & merom get Dual Core, why not quad core in the near future?

Intel has a very open roadmap into next year. As far as I know, there are non plans for a quad core mobile chip.
  • Reply 117 of 151
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

There is also Apple Expo in September. The first G5 iMac was released in this event and I am inclined to believe that the next iMac update will happen at the Expo (it will be then eight months from the release of the Yonah iMac). This also gives plenty of time to the upcoming Mac Pros to enjoy their first role on the scene.

The iMac G5 was introduced then because IBM didn't have the chips available for Apple to introduce it in June, as planned.

You might remember that Apple discontinued the G4 iMac before June, and the channel supplies had dried up. Apple had NO iMac's to sell until the G5 model finally came out in September, sinking Apple's sales. Apple had to fly a few in to make their pronounced, and delayed September introduction.

That wasn't normal.
  • Reply 118 of 151
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

The iMac G5 was introduced then because IBM didn't have the chips available for Apple to introduce it in June, as planned.

You might remember that Apple discontinued the G4 iMac before June, and the channel supplies had dried up. Apple had NO iMac's to sell until the G5 model finally came out in September, sinking Apple's sales.

Yes, I remember well all that. But whatever the reason, the event was connected to the release of the G5 iMac. And Apple had certain habits about the hardware update cycles. Of course no one can tell if these cycles will remain the same with the Intel transition and many here seem to believe that Apple needs to play catch-up with the Intel CPU advancement tempo and the other big PC players.

Anyway, when and what do you expect for the iMac?
  • Reply 119 of 151
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Yes, I remember well all that. But whatever the reason, the event was connected to the release of the G5 iMac. And Apple had certain habits about the hardware update cycles. Of course no one can tell if these cycles will remain the same with the Intel transition and many here seem to believe that Apple needs to play catch-up with the Intel CPU advancement tempo and the other big PC players.

Anyway, when and what do you expect for the iMac?

I think pretty much what most others expect. But, I also think it's going to be difficult to figure out whether Apple will continue to use a laptop chip, such as Merom, or go to Conroe.

Conroe puts out less heat than the older G5 that Apple was using, though more than Yonah. The case was redesigned for Yonah, but it could be redone for Conroe, if Apple wants the extra oomph.

Without seeing some real tests on Merom, we won't know what the difference in processing power is between them. Merom will start out at a lower speed, and will continue at a lower speed throughout its lifetime, so Conroe will be speedier just because of that.

But, Apple might consider Merom to be fast enough for the purpose. And less power draw means a smaller power supply ? inside the case, rather than in a brick. That might be more important to them. I know that I would prefer not to have a brick.

As to when. well, Intel is pushing the release of Merom forward, as it has done with everything else, and as it is now doing with Cloverton etc.

Time is likely not an issue therefor.

I didn't think we would see a Merom based machines, laptop, or otherwise, until the forth quarter. But, now I'm not so sure.
  • Reply 120 of 151
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I didn't think we would see a Merom based machines, laptop, or otherwise, until the forth quarter. But, now I'm not so sure.

Maybe this will help with your ruminations ..

From Dailytech...

"Furthermore, Otellini confirmed that quad-core isn't the only processor series moved up. The CEO confirmed Merom has been moved up and is already shipping to revenue, as was reported by HKEPC (English) several days ago."