Microsoft begins uphill battle against iPod on Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 41 of 152
    There's more than a few reasons not to get a Zune.
  • Reply 42 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin

However, you can bet your sweet patootie that versions 2 and 3 of this will be much nicer, based on actual user feedback.

So don't think that just because this first version is so horrible that Microsoft doesn't know what it's doing. It probably does, long term.

Soooooooooo, with that thought in mind... I guess thats why Hefner put a ugly, unknown chick on his first cover
  • Reply 43 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SoopaDrive

So if the Zune is able to implement WiFi into their MP3 player, is it feasible in the near future for MP3 players to work with WiFi hotspots and stream internet radio stations?

now that would be a sweet feature if they can get the batter life problem fixed when using wifi. Since they make basicly nothing off the the ITMS and just use it as a method of locking cusotmers into the Ipod system, i dont think that they will care if people are listening to free music instead of buying it off iTunes as long as they are buying ipods.
  • Reply 44 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Microsoft Corp., which launches its Zune digital media player and compatible music service on Tuesday, has its work cut out for it.

I seem to remember a lot of dsicussion about the folly of Microsoft entering the gaming console business where Sony was such a dominant force and Nintendo was the close second; now, looking at the success of the Xbox, the Xbox 360, and Xbox Live, and looking back to other ventures such as Internet Browsers (Netscape anyone?), I can only think that anyone who underestimates Microsoft is probably betting too much on a bob-tail nag.
  • Reply 45 of 152
    second paragraph - " Microsoft is bettering that some of the player's unique features"

I'd be willing to bet[ter] you intended to use "MS is betting ".

cheers

nathan (stickler)
  • Reply 46 of 152
    The SMALL print at the bottom: http://www.zune.net/en-us/meetzune/microsoftpoints.htm

[1] The Zune to Zune sharing feature may not be available for all audio files on your device, and works only between Zune devices within wireless range of each other. This feature allows recipients to play full-length sample tracks up to 3 times in 3 days. Recipients cannot re-send music that they have received via the sharing feature.

DID THEY SAY MAY NOT???

I'm still tickled about the ugly chick.....

Yeah, lets f..k this first one up so when we get a good one, people will rush out to buy it!!!
  • Reply 47 of 152
    If this thing doesnt die within the coming year, Ill be really surprised. What a joke of a product.
  • Reply 48 of 152
    Quote:

...This feature allows recipients to play full-length sample tracks up to 3 times in 3 days...

Question: What is a "full-length sample track"?

Wow, cool, at least they don't limit you to partial-length sample tracks???
  • Reply 49 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Java Junky

I seem to remember a lot of dsicussion about the folly of Microsoft entering the gaming console business where Sony was such a dominant force and Nintendo was the close second; now, looking at the success of the Xbox, the Xbox 360, and Xbox Live, and looking back to other ventures such as Internet Browsers (Netscape anyone?), I can only think that anyone who underestimates Microsoft is probably betting too much on a bob-tail nag.

Microsoft doesn't or at least hasn't succeeded in every market they enter. Search is one big example. Also, their share of the mobile phone market remains very small.

The Xbox has a decent portion of the market but it doesn't dominate it in the way they would like and it seems like they are not making money on it either:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6140383.html
  • Reply 50 of 152
    "I'd much rather have an AM radio included..."

I'm holding out for an 8-track...http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...es/1tongue.gif
  • Reply 51 of 152
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yebot

I have never heard or seen anyone listen to the radio with an iPod. I have never heard or seen anyone hear or see anyone think about listening to the radio with an iPod. But of course, I'm only one person.

There is this ...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nMore=MA070G/A

you know why.......interference you can't hear your music in a subway, tunnel, elevator, it's not what the thing. its not personal
  • Reply 52 of 152
    Yeah, I've got lots of my pre-programmed stuff in my iPod. Music and podcasts alike. But I'd like to hear the radio, too. Not so much for music, although the occasional music "show" or dance mix could come in handy. But there's lots of great talk shows to listen to. NPR is usually on FM, with everything from long-form news to hourly news updates, from "Marketplace" to "Car Talk" to "This American Life" to "Left, Right and Center". There's also Tom Leykis or Don Imus or Kevin and Bean or Mark and Brian... And AM, which may be technologically trickier to put in an iPod (I assume, because no one ever offers AM), has the gamut of blathering talk radio yelling at you from all sides of the political spectrum, as well as sportscasts, traffic, and tiny clips of newsbytes.

So I don't understand the concept that radio should be kept out of the iPod. Yeah, I know, it's exactly the opposite of programming specifically what you want -- stuff you've already heard -- onto your iPod. And lots of people only want to hear what they already own. But radio is still full of interesting stuff... and wouldn't it be great to have it integrated into an iPod? Why have to carry two devices? Or wait until you're in the car to hear the radio?

I mean, they have lame little games on iPods. And an address book. Who could possibly argue that having a radio is pointless?

And yes... you can't get radio in a subway. But you can on the street, in a park, at a coffeehouse, wherever. You also can't play your iPod games while you're driving, but you can still listen to your music.

:d
  • Reply 53 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dak splunder

I mean, they have lame little games on iPods.

Actually, some of the games you can buy are surprisingly good. Cubis 2 and Zuma are addictive.
  • Reply 54 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck

Actually, some of the games you can buy are surprisingly good. Cubis 2 and Zuma are addictive.

Indeed. And some radio is surprisingly good too.

Touché.
  • Reply 55 of 152
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Java Junky

XBox is a presense in the market, but I don't think it or the rest of the division has made a profit yet. The PS2 console is still selling quicker than XB360. With web browsers, it took them four versions to get to something that was enough to push out Netscape. Even then, it was a matter of it was good compared to Netscape of the time, and it was included with the computer.

I also think that Apple understands the implications.
  • Reply 56 of 152
    this is what I get:

Listado de directorio denegado

Este directorio virtual no permite listar contenidos.

• Reply 57 of 152
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

I would argue that Creative's offerings are better than MS's and closer to real competition for apple but they lack the online presence, which obviously has been key.

I just want MS to make apple sweat for a while so they offer more to us and then they can drop out of the race like dell.

I believe some of Creative's offerings best Apple. I hoped Apple's settlement with Creative would have also let them license fairplay and the scroll wheel.

Competition is always good.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple pulls a rabbit (i.e. video ipod) out of the hat either tomorrow or Wednesday. 8)
  • Reply 58 of 152
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

The Xbox has a decent portion of the market but it doesn't dominate it in the way they would like and it seems like they are not making money on it either:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6140383.html

Yup. MS fans always like to bring up the Xbox as an example of a Microsoft product 'success', but fact is its only done well in the US (its much weaker in Europe, and you can't hardly give them away in Japan) and has lost BILLIONS of dollars for MS.

The 360? Well, there's nothing competing against it in the next-gen space yet. That changes this week, with the launch of the Playstation 3 and the Wii. Most analysts expect the PS3 to pull ahead of the 360 within a year and have dominant marketshare, just like the PS2 did.

Neither the Xbox or the 360 have been wins for Microsoft, unless you count losing billions of dollars 'a win'. I have my doubts about the Zune breaking the trend. \
  • Reply 59 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution

While most of you deride the fact that MS chose brown as one of the colours for the Zune, you aren't taking into account that it is, in fact, a colour which ranks high on colour forecasts.

"Yeah, yeah", you say. "Brown, bwhahahaha."

Really. People get paid big bucks to figure this stuff out. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Moss Green or an Orange one in the next 6 months - two other colours that are going to be in most designers colour stories over the next year or two.

Microsoft are jumping on well after two other small electronics manufacturers, though: Nokia and Sony Ericsson. (Personally, I think the SE K790/K800 looks great in the 'Allure Brown'.)

I just love it how some people can justify ANYTHING. Take, for example, this effort to justify one of the worst colour choices in industrial design - a BROWN (and not a nice brown either, but rather a baby poo brown) - by saying that the colour is going to be in most 'designers colour stories over the next year or two...' well, that's just fuc*in' great! Excellent.

So, not only are Microsoft apparently only 'testing the waters...' or 'floating a balloon' with this initial Zune, but apparently it's going to be a particularly long lived initial balloon because it'll still be around in time to be a popular colour!?!

You are utterly insane if you honestly believe your own preposterous crap.

Microsoft needs to 'float a balloon' to see if the public likes the idea of an MP3 player? Bullshit. Microsoft's designers are two years ahead of the curve in designing a colour scheme for a lemon that's only designed to last... what? One year? 18 months? Bullshit.

Microsoft decided to get into a highly lucrative market without investing billions in R&D on hardware but rather to copy the eco-system of Apple with cheap hardware that they can discount to hell in the future just so they can kill another market segment? Sounds far more likely to me.

Oh, and they really couldn't give a crap about the colours.
  • Reply 60 of 152
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,540member
    Quote:

Neither of your points, which I agree with, change any aspects of my theory.

They change part of it. MS had little to do with designing it, so your claim that they "created" it is off. And, no doubt, MS would have loved to have unlimited "social" networkimg for the player. But, that was also beyond their control.

They did what they could with it.

I agree that it probably won't succeed because it's just too little. But, it's not something they sat down and designed from the ground up for this. That includes the idea for the store as well. Nothing really new there either.