Computer Setup Pictures 2004

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As the dawn of a new year has risen, it's time to start the "2004 Computer Setup" thread.

Here is my "Home Away From Home" setup as of 2 minutes ago.

MDD

?DP 1.25GHZ 2MB L2 Cache

?768MB RAM

?Radeon 9000 64MB

?160GB Seagate HD

?SuperDrive 4x

?ComboDrive 32x

?ViewSonic Professioanl Series P95f

?iSight

?Microsoft Intellimouse Optical (mine)

?Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer (my moms)

?Epson Stylus Color 740i

?FC-116 Hi-FI Stereo Digital Series

Comments

• Reply 1 of 195
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Do you realize how long you're going to have to host this pic?
  • Reply 2 of 195
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    That's why Leonis or Zo or whoever the hell oversees it should roll the "set-up" photos in with their "member photos" thing. A separate page, of course, but a "one stop" gallery that can be updated, say, weekly and that way there isn't another 32-page thread loaded with big-ass JPEGs that no one actually really wants to wade through anyway, just to see set-up pics.

Just a suggestion.

I did a simple iPhoto gallery a while back, but I honestly don't have it in me to keep up with the submissions, spec listings, etc. Someone a little more web-savvy ought to do this. A little 20-per-page thumbnail gallery of however many pages it grows to seems a better solution...

And maybe, for the sake of neatness and roughly consistent file sizes/download times, each photo could be cropped to a certain size/orientation so all the thumbnails sit nicely, then click them to a larger, say, 7x5 full-size version (which is plenty big enough, just to see someone's set up).

And yes, being the first day of 2004...seems like a GREAT time to start it and do it right.

In fact, I don't mind doing it, with a couple of conditions: it gets updated weekly (say, Saturday morning sometime?) so don't bug me if you send it on Monday and its not up immediately...I WORK.

And two: nothing fancy...a simple photo with the AI user's name beneath it. If you want to write about your set-up, list specs, tell stories about it, etc. that cool. Use this thread for that?

I'd just do them in the order I received them, throughout the year: Photo, user's name and if you're sending multiple set-ups (home, work, school, etc.), I'd simply reflect that in parentheses after your user name. AND all photos get cropped to a consistent size/orientation.

If everyone is cool with the above, then e-mail your set-up photos to me and I'll dismantle the old one and start a new one, fresh, today/tomorrow.

It'll be a simple, no frills iPhoto gallery/.mac homepage, as that's all I'm really capable of.

If you get a new computer during the year or whatever, send me that pic and I'll replace your existing pic with it. And I think I'll give murbot his own dedicated page, now that I think about it...

• Reply 3 of 195
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    ok.. but where is AppleAds.com?
  • Reply 4 of 195
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

ok.. but where is AppleAds.com?

I am behind in the launch will have it up in Jan.

Ok I am willing to host and maintain all setups at AppleAds.com with a dedicated area for each person so it would be.

AppleAds.com/setups/whatnameyouwant/

Give me idea's for fields for info ie setup location, date, system specs etc. I have tons of space and bandwidth so I can handle archiving older setups so people can see the setup changes over time.

on your enterance page, I will even give you an area to put up info on you etc. Also on each setup area you can put up a description etc.

When I get home this weekend, I will work on designing the layout and get your guys's input.

So do you want AppleAds.com to be the "Offical Mac Computer Setups Pictures and infromation" website for this and other Mac forums?

I have all the time int he world to work on it, since the advertising pays for the hosting, (Do you mind?)
  • Reply 5 of 195
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Here are mine from last year, not much has changed...except I did clean my desk! The computer active in these shots is my G4 cube, not the Sawtooth. The Sawtooth is being run as a server now until I get a working ethernet card for the 6400 (also pictured in the second shot).

Edit:

Finally fixed the pictures!
  • Reply 6 of 195
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Mine

Powermac G5 dual 2.0 GHZ

20" Cinema Display

Apple iSight camera

Wacom Intuos 6"x8" graphics tablet

Logitech Cordless MX Duo mouse and KB

Logitech Z-680 Speakers

Switched out the printer for an Epson Stylus Photo RX-500

turned your oversized image to a link. keep it to 800x600 MAX please. - murbot
  • Reply 7 of 195
    lainlain Posts: 140member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Mine

I have a similar desk, I am worried that my G5 will crush the glass... U not worried?
  • Reply 8 of 195
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    No, its pretty solid glass.

Sorry about that Murbot.

Keep forgetting.
  • Reply 9 of 195
    Yup
  • Reply 10 of 195
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Just got back to the dorm.

• Reply 11 of 195
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Winter setup, at home (I bring it all back from the dorm):

Monitors and sound:

DP1250, a free Sony P3/750 laptop, and a subwoofer:

Now if only my 13 year old brother would give me 'his' Dual 2 G5, this would be perfect (arh parents...)
  • Reply 12 of 195
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member

Reposting same images from old thread.... I guess I should've just waited a week or so to post in the 2004 thread.
  • Reply 13 of 195
    Why does a 13 year old have his own Dual 2GHz? I had an HP, though.
  • Reply 14 of 195
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

Reposting same images from old thread.... I guess I should've just waited a week or so to post in the 2004 thread.

Now THAT'S what I call a setup!!
  • Reply 15 of 195
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shatteringglass

Why does a 13 year old have his own Dual 2GHz? I had an HP, though.

I guess he needs it to play halo, and that's about it or something...

Though that's nothing, one of his friends (12 yr old) apparantely 'stole' his dad's fully decked out G5, i.e. 8GB RAM, HD Cinema Display, etc (his dad is one of those people who do not bother configuring their computers and tell their 'computer guy' to get the top of the line machine).

Sigh. Life is unfair \
  • Reply 16 of 195
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Mmmm... Taken on a poopy 1.6mp camera:

(Darn.. left the stupid date/time thing turned on in this one. =\\)

- Xidius
  • Reply 17 of 195
    Um.. Here are all the things on my desk with the prices. =P

Headphones - MDR-V700DJ (Sony) - $140

Mice - Apple wireless - Logitech Bluetooth - $70 / $100

Keyboard - Apple wireless - $70

Bluetooth - Dlink - $50

Tablet - Wacom - $99

Speakers - Creatures - $120

iPod - 30GB - $410

iBook - 800mhz G3 cdrw 30gig 640mb - $1100

Laptop stand - Podium Pad (white) - $30

Total : $2189

... ouch ...

- Xidius
  • Reply 18 of 195
    I only bought the mouse so that I have something that matches my new headphones. ^-^

- Xidius
  • Reply 19 of 195
    I had to go searching for this thread... :S

My setup

I think most of it's on there... Standard beige box behind the bedside table (specs in sig). iPod is in its' jacket on the table, and there's 3 more speakers behind where I was when I took the picture, as well as one to the left.
  • Reply 20 of 195
    heres mine

1 Lexmark z32, got it free w/ the mac

2 Sony 17" E200

3 30GB iPod

4 USB Mic

5 60GB FW Drive

6 52x24x52x FW Lacie CD burner

7 USB Game Pad

8 Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

9 A very dusty Lexmark z75 (dosent print, but scans very well

10 Linksys router & DSL modem