Purported shots of Microsoft's touchscreen device revealed

Comments

• Reply 41 of 224
    If MS is committed to waiting until Apple releases its tablet before theirs sees the light of day, what happens if Apple doesn't do a tablet? No Courier, ever? Might be a good strategy: seed rumors of new devices, let MS sink tons of money into developing counters, then never produce it.
  • Reply 42 of 224
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

Get a life and quit drinking the Kool Aid.

Do some real research and not pull up some random YouTube (Google your competitor) Video.

I'm loving that Google has put push email on my iPhone with Gmail. It takes the wind out of MobileMe's overpriced Apple goudging while they can get it marketing plan.

I think we are starting to see Google come to full steam and they will put out what they want when they want without Apple telling them it isn't good for Apple's business model.

The beginning of the end.

Why are you here? You haven't said anything useful yet. All this ranting about how Apple is screwed.

We know you would like to see that happen. Why don't you go to a PC forum and say it? Have they kicked you off there?
  • Reply 43 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

It's supposed to be ready......now! It's going to debut next year around January at CES. There is no way that Microsoft is going to let Apple steal the show again by releasing another super mobile product.

Microsoft is going to attempt to beat Apple to the punch.

From the Gizmondo article

Quote:

and we've heard that it's in the "late prototype" stage of development.

Again, taking the revolutionary Surface as a guide then it may be 'shown' early next year and available for sale some time in 2011 with a feature set 1/3 of the initial showing which will be a fraction of what is implied in the video.

Again, this is smoke, vaporware, take your pick.
  • Reply 44 of 224
    Quote:

... Surface has rocked since it was in concept and table format.

Put it on a multi surface tablet (planner) and it's nothing short of brilliant.

Do some research on Surface. Apple has nothing that even comes close to comparing with it.

Conceptualized at Microsoft since 2001 with prototypes in subsequent years, Microsoft previewed one in 2007. The May 29, 2007 press release stated, with requisite interspersed qualifiers [emphasis added], "Microsoft is the first major technology company to bring surface computing to market in a commercially ready product. Although there are some companies working on similar technology projects, nobody is doing exactly what we are with Surface." Ultimately (I'm told), they adapted and repackaged the technology developed at NYU's Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences led by Jeff Han (now Perceptive Pixel).
  • Reply 45 of 224
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Yeah. Awesome. Like the Origami video from 3 years ago. Same reaction-- "OOOH, NOW IT'S ON, WATCH OUT APPLE, THIS IS KILLER AWESOME OMG!"

And then Apple went ahead and made a thing that pretty much does what MS was dreaming about, and made it much, much smaller and easier to use. MS continued to make incremental improvements to Windows CE based devices.

I'm actually amazed there's more than a few people that would still bother getting excited about an MS proof of concept video. Although it's pretty funny that the very same people that love to holler about koolaid drinkers and reality distortion fields turn into giggling little girls when MS puts out an animation about an idea that they really for sure might make one day. At least Apple users get enthusiastic about actual products.
  • Reply 46 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

did you not read past the quote you just posted on? Because, Captain Obvious, i said Apple did think of it, in part.

The iphone was the culmination of years of MS messing up the mobile phone market and the PDA industry...mix in a little Apple's old Newton, and you've got the iPhone. like i said, Apple may not be the first to think of everything, but they certainly are the best at designing it.

Thank you for your amusing troll post. It is rare that I get such a good chuckle from these comment boards. Your claims are downright silly, but, as a famous pirate once said, Please understand that I hold you in the highest regard.
  • Reply 47 of 224
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I like the book form factor with the double screens. That would solve one of the worries I had with the (presumed) upcoming Apple one, that of keeping the screen safe.

It also lends itself nicely to having a scratch/work space on one side where things are constantly being dropped/flicked from the other side. That is how I like to work in real life. Of course the double screens might make it a bit pricey.
  • Reply 48 of 224
    NonVendorFan : You are the one who needs to "get a life".
  • Reply 49 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I just watched the video over at Neowin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIgNfp-MdI

.....It looks fabulous and I love competition!

It looks absolutely amazing man. I am so blown away by this. the demo looks niche but i am sure other users (music, marketing, IT, construction, draftsmen) will be catered for as well.

I will be a monkey's uncle if MS actually release this and it is as flawless as this. Go Go Competition. I can't wait to see what happens in the next 12 months.
  • Reply 50 of 224
    Quote:

Get a life and quit drinking the Kool Aid.

Do some real research and not pull up some random YouTube (Google your competitor) Video.

I'm loving that Google has put push email on my iPhone with Gmail. It takes the wind out of MobileMe's overpriced Apple goudging while they can get it marketing plan.

I think we are starting to see Google come to full steam and they will put out what they want when they want without Apple telling them it isn't good for Apple's business model.

The beginning of the end.

I thought you had sold your iPhone?

You will probably leave our existence before Apple comes to end, so accept the fact that Apple like MS is going to be around for a long time in one form or another. What you should wish for is more competition, that will beniefit the consumer in terms of innovation and cost, not for one of the competitor's to die and MS or Google (or another company)drives the prices up due to monoploy like status.

I like Apple, but that's my own personal perference and do not scorn people, who support MS or Google, since you must have your reasons. All I want at the end of the day, is a product that meets majority of my expectations and works (I am a realist).

Apple have been giving us innovation like products, which have majority of features that are essential in my opinion and as added bonus look cool!
  • Reply 51 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

More smoke.

They can't even fix Windows Mobile, and they've had over two years to do it.

Oh, they can make a great tablet . . . if they outsource it to Apple.

i few people posting here are giving google and ms way too much credit. most if not all of google's products and services are not polished nor user friendly. they work but don't leave you with an experience. ms has had windows mobile in some form for over 10 years or so and still hasn't got it right. apple was able to sell more than them in the first 2 releases of the iphone.

i love competition though so i hope the 3 competitors all take the standards higher and we all benefit. i certainly don't want any of them to completely dissipate but it wouldn't hurt for ms to lose some market share to the other 2.
  • Reply 52 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah. Awesome. Like the Origami video from 3 years ago. Same reaction-- "OOOH, NOW IT'S ON, WATCH OUT APPLE, THIS IS KILLER AWESOME OMG!"

And then Apple went ahead and made a thing that pretty much does what MS was dreaming about, and made it much, much smaller and easier to use. MS continued to make incremental improvements to Windows CE based devices.

I'm actually amazed there's more than a few people that would still bother getting excited about an MS proof of concept video. Although it's pretty funny that the very same people that love to holler about koolaid drinkers and reality distortion fields turn into giggling little girls when MS puts out an animation about an idea that they really for sure might make one day. At least Apple users get enthusiastic about actual products.

Good point.
  • Reply 53 of 224
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    A Simply Stunning Concept/Video -

Which of course is far more than we've seen of Apple's 'alleged' MacPad aka iTablet.

Look's like it's Cupertino's Move - We're Waiting....
  • Reply 54 of 224
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Why are you here? You haven't said anything useful yet. All this ranting about how Apple is screwed.

We know you would like to see that happen. Why don't you go to a PC forum and say it? Have they kicked you off there?

He is just bummed because of what the 49ers did to the Seahawks.
  • Reply 55 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

Impressive.

Most impressive.

But the UI almost seems too advanced, you know? It's above and beyond anything I've ever seen.

You mean like how advanced my ZUNE HD GUI/Software looks/functions when compared to my iPod Touch/iTunes?
  • Reply 56 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

From the Gizmondo article

Again, taking the revolutionary Surface as a guide then it may be 'shown' early next year and available for sale some time in 2011 with a feature set 1/3 of the initial showing which will be a fraction of what is implied in the video.

Again, this is smoke, vaporware, take your pick.

This may be vaporware, but it is EXACTLY what I've been thinking about for years - back when tablets first came up. I don't like slates, I like books and this is a real iBook!!!!

Two screens with different functions! Years ago I was thinking one would be color and HD and meant for images/video, while the other would be for touch typing or writing with stylus and possibly eInk.

The best form factor is the paperback book - different sizes - and the video shows great UI elements.

I've ragged on MS and can not imagine buying a Windows machine, but this is the one thing that would cause me great angst - if MS had this and Apple just had a 8 inch iPhone!

I want THIS!!!!! And I know LOTs of computerphobes who would jump at this and leave laptops behind for ever.
  • Reply 57 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

They already have, and have most likely surpassed it, ready for early 2010.

Yes they have, and it's called the VaporPod...
  • Reply 58 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

A Simply Stunning Concept/Video -

Which of course is far more than we've seen of Apple's 'alleged' MacPad aka iTablet.

Look's like it's Cupertino's Move - We're Waiting....

Yeah! Where's your stunning concept video, Apple? Microsoft is winning the concept video war! By this time next year Microsoft's concept videos will be so advance that Apple won't even know what hit them! LOL, Apple! Your concept videos suddenly look outdated and tired.

And just wait till MS integrates what maybe they could do with the new Zune with next gen concept videos and possibly some still shots of what they might have in mind for the Xbox! Game over, man, game over!
  • Reply 59 of 224
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

This may be vaporware, but it is EXACTLY what I've been thinking about for years - back when tablets first came up. I don't like slates, I like books and this is a real iBook!!!!

Two screens with different functions! Years ago I was thinking one would be color and HD and meant for images/video, while the other would be for touch typing or writing with stylus and possibly eInk.

May we expect you to file a patent lawsuit in Marshall, TX ?
  • Reply 60 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Yes they have, and it's called the VaporPod...

Because they have no concept videos!