Purported shots of Microsoft's touchscreen device revealed

Comments

• Reply 81 of 224
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    1. Looks a good idea. But WinMo or Vista7 will make it a piece of garbage.

2. Did Microsoft want something to be able to say that Apple copied them for a change?!? LOL

3. Vaporware from Microsoft is normal. All the splash about Surface took them nowhere.

4. After Zune, after retail, after Vista7, this is just the latest MS copy of Apple techniques. Trying to recreate the - 'ssshhh, get excited about what we're working on' effect that Apple does so brilliantly (but without having to do anything itself!).

Overall, another good example of how Apple has changed the world.
  • Reply 82 of 224
    Looks great (watched the video) and for design people, this is great, if it's made into a shipping product.

But:

Too big for pocket

Large, no physical keyboard

This is largely why the Newton didn't go anywhere and th Palm Pilot sold by the truck load. Cool tech, the geek in me wants one, but typing is faster than writing and it doesn't fit in my pocket.
  • Reply 83 of 224
    Apple had this idea a long time ago.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4928842683632#

It was called the Knowledge Navigator. Everything is a little larger and clunkier than Ives would design today, but it is a folding computer with two screens in a portable format.
  • Reply 84 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah! Where's your stunning concept video, Apple? Microsoft is winning the concept video war! By this time next year Microsoft's concept videos will be so advance that Apple won't even know what hit them! LOL, Apple! Your concept videos suddenly look outdated and tired.

And just wait till MS integrates what maybe they could do with the new Zune with next gen concept videos and possibly some still shots of what they might have in mind for the Xbox! Game over, man, game over!

I love your posts, man. Pure comedy.

Believe it or not, people on MR are laughing about it, too. And MR is basically a Windows forum.
  • Reply 85 of 224
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I just watched the video over at Neowin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIgNfp-MdI

That is quite possibly the most impressive UI and device I've seen in a long time. I have my doubts if MS could actually pull that off within the next year or so, but I wish them all the luck! It looks fabulous and I love competition!

Looks great but this is probably the current state of development .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=049_U-0C9qU
  • Reply 86 of 224
    i cannot wait for microsoft to produce yet another failed attempt at a tablet device and fail miserably
  • Reply 87 of 224
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadIvan View Post

Thank you for your amusing troll post. It is rare that I get such a good chuckle from these comment boards. Your claims are downright silly, but, as a famous pirate once said, Please understand that I hold you in the highest regard.

prove me wrong wise-guy...

I would hardly call my comments "trolling". Look up the definition of it; ok, i'll do it for you...

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion"

Nothing that i've stated is either off topic or irrelevant to discussion. Merely just making corrections.
  • Reply 88 of 224
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

That is quite possibly the most impressive UI and device I've seen in a long time. I have my doubts if MS could actually pull that off within the next year or so, but I wish them all the luck! It looks fabulous and I love competition!

Wow, that looks absolutely beautiful. I still don't see any need for a tablet, but it's lovely all the same.

I think with the Zune HD, MS have shown they can make a beautiful UI which is leagues ahead of anything Apple can produce. This, if they can pull it off in the real world, is a step beyond that.
  • Reply 89 of 224
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

More smoke.

They can't even fix Windows Mobile, and they've had over two years to do it.

Oh, they can make a great tablet . . . if they outsource it to Apple.

Well, maybe they have let their POS Windows mobile product flounder and have decided to put their efforts towards this?

Got to wonder what a potential price would be. Seems like it would need a rather meaty processor as well.

Kudos to them if this is indeed to be a product within the next 6 months.

Your up Apple.
  • Reply 90 of 224
    Gotta love the Gestapo ss titles they have at ms: Experience Officer.

Yes Officer, at your services officer!

The prototype is ready let's see what the Experience Officer commands! A tad of the usual spanking or maybe the Execution Squad.

Morons.
  • Reply 91 of 224
    Quote:

Yeah, that's incredible. If that makes it to market it could be a game changer.
  • Reply 92 of 224
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Gotta love the Gestapo ss titles they have at ms: Experience Officer.

Yes Officer, at your services officer!

The prototype is ready let's see what the Experience Officer commands! A tad of the usual spanking or maybe the Execution Squad.

Morons.

Maybe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKn1f...eature=related

• Reply 93 of 224
    As a concept, that's exactly what I've always wanted in a portable computer. Where laptops (and my iPhone) have always failed me is the ability to quickly take notes and organize thoughts and data. I personally hate the way people (myself included) have to bury themselves in their laptops in meetings, tapping away and hidden behind their computer screen. That video demonstrates an interface that works like I work (it would be really cool if you could "flick" data to other users, but I'm just dreamin here). If a student were able to do the same thing with e-textbooks - dragging over important information, annotating text, and saving important diagrams - this could be a must-have on campus.

That said, I'm sure msft doesn't know when they can get this to market. Its being leaked because Apple will beat them to the punch and they don't want to be seen as imitating Apple.
  • Reply 94 of 224
    That sort of device is exactly what I was talking about two years ago and more with some industrial designers and cartoonists I know. In design, basically the child of a Nintendo DS and a MacBook Air.

I assumed two very thin vertical screens in a format like the DS, but this mockup makes far more sense to me. Add in a virtual keyboard that can be displayed as the user requires, for those who do not wish to use a stylus to write, and that's pretty much something I'd buy in a heartbeat. Prettyy good ideas about who people use an interface too. Can you imagine Apple's pixel-perfect polish on a "tablet" like this?

That being said, if MS did do something like this, they'll mess is up in some way: bugger up the UI, cheaply made plastics, poor partner relations, bloated and slow OS, etc. But Apple? Hmm. I'd buy one just the way it's shown.
  • Reply 95 of 224
    Am I the only one that realizes that this NonVendorFan always comes in at the beginning, spews a bunch of garbage, then is no where to be found? I swear this is probably the tenth thread I've seen this happen.
  • Reply 96 of 224
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    An animated video is all well and good, a real product is a different story.
  • Reply 97 of 224
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foo2 View Post

i like the split home button that folds in the middle yet has no seam. Amazing technology. Should be here by thanksgiving.

lol...
  • Reply 98 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I like the split home button that folds in the middle yet has no seam. Amazing technology. Should be here by Thanksgiving.

The panel with the home button doesn't fold - there is no crease (it stays where it is during closing). The two screens come together and when it is all closed the part with the home button is hidden inside the spine of the book.
  • Reply 99 of 224
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

That sort of device is exactly what I was talking about two years ago and more with some industrial designers and cartoonists I know. In design, basically the child of a Nintendo DS and a MacBook Air.

I assumed two very thin vertical screens in a format like the DS, but this mockup makes far more sense to me. Add in a virtual keyboard that can be displayed as the user requires, for those who do not wish to use a stylus to write, and that's pretty much something I'd buy in a heartbeat. Prettyy good ideas about who people use an interface too. Can you imagine Apple's pixel-perfect polish on a "tablet" like this?

That being said, if MS did do something like this, they'll mess is up in some way: bugger up the UI, cheaply made plastics, poor partner relations, bloated and slow OS, etc. But Apple? Hmm. I'd buy one just the way it's shown.

Yep and i'd buy a transporter beam as shown in Star Trek too In reality I guess this M$ fantasy video is no more sci-fi than the Apple Navigator Video from all those decade go ... in fact less so since Apple's bit of sci-fi used a lot of voice commands..

As I use Google's app on the iPhone many times a day to search (and it is almost 100% accurate in translating my voice commands) I suspect Apples future vision of voice commands could now be feasible. "Computer, pay my current on line bill to Mercedes and open iTunes and play Dave Matthew's latest album please, oh and check AAPL." "Certainly Dave, oh I have your sister on the line ..."

My bets are still on Apple being the first to bring such a product to market in this area and it will be a paradigm shift I no doubt
  • Reply 100 of 224
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Courier... Codex... Microsoft... Innovation.

http://community.research.microsoft....rch-codex.aspx