Purported shots of Microsoft's touchscreen device revealed

Comments

• Reply 121 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Am I the only one that realizes that this NonVendorFan always comes in at the beginning, spews a bunch of garbage, then is no where to be found? I swear this is probably the tenth thread I've seen this happen.

No, you are not the only one.
  • Reply 122 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

why should he be wary? does this device look remotely interesting to anyone and appealing to the eyes, as the iphone?

when videos like these of prototypes surface, one has to remember that microsoft is after all...a company that SELLS...(crap)...their CEO is a sales person...

Yes......yes it does! Hello?

Microsoft is a crap company that can't innovate no argument here. Or at least, it doesn't innovate.....at first. Over a stretch of time though, they are able to analyze the competition and copy to the point where they do finally come out with a competing product.

Do you think they actually need to wait for Apple to embarass them with an uber tablet and take another two years to figure out what to do like with the iphone?

They are taking the hard lessons the iphone has taught them and applying that to the creation of their tablet. They're not waiting for anybody because Microsoft needs to step up their game considerably if they want to stay in the the mobile business. Because if they do not.....they're eventually gonna be OUT OF BUSINESS!
  • Reply 123 of 224
    The YouTube video shows something that is quite nice in concept. Whether it will work as shown, who knows.

Two observations: (i) There is no reason that Apple could not do everything shown there, exploiting features in Expose, Dashboard etc. (ii) Apple's product will probably be positioned as a personal multimedia + phone + reader device, while MSFT's looks like it will cater to office folks.
  • Reply 124 of 224
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Let me add again, I'm glad that there are even videos and pictures of this thing out there. Apple won't even dangle a friggin' table scrap in front of us with the upcoming tablet (if they're even doing one at all).

And I also like the fact that it has multi-touch AND pen input for writing. An onscreen keyboard is all well in good, but being able to actually write notes and write out URLs with a pen is a big plus to me.

PLEASE, PLEASE Microsoft, MAKE THIS THING!

Apple doesn't dangle 'table scraps' because if the did, MS would steal the idea.

In additional, this thing doesn't "have multi-touch AND pen input"... it doesn't exist! This is a market wet dream, not a product.

Its also called FUD, which is the only innovation MS has ever excelled at.
  • Reply 125 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

... The product looks amazing, would like to see the real thing.

The "real thing" is that six inch thick monstrosity in the video, the picture you posted is a concept mock-up.

In other words the "real thing" doesn't exist here, this thingie is one step away from vapourware.

My guess would be that someone at Microsoft actually got a look at what Apple is doing and it scared them so much that they wanted to hit the interwebs first with this so as to not seem like weak copyists when this thing finally comes to market in about 2012.

It also makes them look like they innovate too (they don't), and like they are players (they aren't), and all that other great stuff that vapourware can do for a company.
  • Reply 126 of 224
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

I've got an iBone & can't wait until my contract is up. I'm not the only one, I'm sure of that.

Let's see...

Spewage from 'fruit' hating troll who was stupid enough to buy a device he hates, or consistent customer satisfaction surveys in the high 90th percentile.

Hmmmm... which to believe.
  • Reply 127 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Apple doesn't dangle 'table scraps' because if the did, MS would steal the idea.

In additional, this thing doesn't "have multi-touch AND pen input"... it doesn't exist! This is a market wet dream, not a product.

So many hostile people around here...

• Reply 128 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

As Steve Ballmer has said, "It doesn't appeal to business customers because it doesn't have a keyboard, which makes it not a very good email machine"

Good catch. Add to this, the current thinking that Microsoft may be seeking to get out of hardware entirely, and what is left over? A lot of wishful thinking that Microsoft will completely reinvent itself as a company and start pulling rabbits out of its hat. If wishes were fishes.
  • Reply 129 of 224
    I really like the concept...

The best I've seen in a while from Microsoft... way much better than their Origami concept...

But seriously Microsoft...

Fix your OS kernel... cuz, a the same pace you're till now... no matter what awesome or cool concept... your freaking OS will ruin it all....

Why?

Cuz, your OS just take too much computing power to do something even close to coolness...

So, better have a "Humongous" batter like 12 or 18 cells to be able to sustain all day (8 real hours)... of work....
  • Reply 130 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

More so because, at this point, they don't even have a 'concept' as far as anyone knows/has seen.

Say what you will, but whatever the MacPod is/does, there's little chance that it will be anywhere near this advanced, given the somewhat lethargic development of their current products (iPhone/Touch, OSX, MacBook, and the like).

Heck, they only just saw fit to finally put a radio in an iPod, and even then only the Nano got one...

As was pointed out earlier Apple published their concept video a few years ago - 1987!!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...6719096&hl=en#
  • Reply 131 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Yes......yes it does! Hello?

Microsoft is a crap company that can't innovate no argument here. Or at least, it doesn't innovate.....at first. Over a stretch of time though, they are able to analyze the competition and copy to the point where they do finally come out with a competing product.

Do you think they actually need to wait for Apple to embarass them with an uber tablet and take another two years to figure out what to do like with the iphone?

They are taking the hard lessons the iphone has taught them and applying that to the creation of their tablet. They're not waiting for anybody because Microsoft needs to step up their game considerably if they want to stay in the the mobile business. Because if they do not.....they're eventually gonna be OUT OF BUSINESS!

Dude you are giving Microsoft way too much credit here.

First, this is a concept idea, not a product. It's vapourware. It's years away from being a product, if ever. Secondly, it's an Apple idea. The product designers make reference to this when they pull up a video and it's the old "Apple Knowledge Navigator" video from 22 years ago that first showcased this very concept (as well as multi-touch.)

Nothing about this concept for a two screen notebook is new, nothing about it hasn't been put forward before in innumerable designs by multiple companies and if anyone has the bragging rights to say they thought of it first, it's Apple.
  • Reply 132 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

Pen Dominated = Fail

Right, 7000 years of pen usage is going to come to a screeching halt because Apple doesn't want you to use one with the iPhone. As far as taking notes goes, I'll bet there isn't an iPhone user in the world who can beat a guy with a pen and a pad of paper. Try drawing an arrow, quickly underline some text, or sketch a diagram in Notes. With all the iPhones I see in meetings, I've never seen anyone actually use it as a note taking device. People still use laptops and legal pads. Heck, I used my laptop and MobileMe to get 90% of my data onto my iPhone right now. Its just faster that way.

The battle for the tablet market will be fought in the classroom and the conference room, and stylus-based computing (writing) is familiar, intuitive, and faster for most people. Apple has yet to roll out the dozens of time saving gestures it has tried to patent (http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/02/a...re-dictionary/), and I think that even if they did, people don't want to learn a bunch of gestures just so they can use their device. I hope Apple sees the value in adding a stylus to their tablet, because I think the real test of these devices will be how well people can keep up in real-world real-time situations with as little effort as possible.
  • Reply 133 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

If Microsoft found a way to put Surface into what everyone in business person carries every day (a planer) Then Apple is screwed. Surface is Windows most advanced OS they've ever displayed and is shipping on larger models.

I thought Google was Apple's biggest threat on every front of Apple's current model.

If Microsoft has brought Surface to desktop it's a new ball game between Microsoft & Google. Both offer Multi-Tasking on both OS and mobile, both offer an open solution for every vendor to build on.

Kind of reminds me of the early 90's.

i What? Oh you mean that piece of fruit that has been goudging users for years and charging 4 times what the product was worth.

I've got an iBone & can't wait until my contract is up. I'm not the only one, I'm sure of that.

You still here? when is your contract up again?
  • Reply 134 of 224
    Looks fantastic although the GUI, icons, fonts, touch responses etc...look suspiciously like Apple and NOT M$ to me.
  • Reply 135 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Looks fantastic although the GUI, icons, fonts, touch responses etc...look suspiciously like Apple and NOT M$ to me.

it's obvious that ms is flooding youtube with fake videos of their "creations"...

their real strategy is to wait until apple releases theirs, then make a crappy copy of it...same old same old...
  • Reply 136 of 224
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Two observations: (i) There is no reason that Apple could not do everything shown there, exploiting features in Expose, Dashboard etc. (ii) Apple's product will probably be positioned as a personal multimedia + phone + reader device, while MSFT's looks like it will cater to office folks.

I never thought of Microsoft as a caterer, but that's as reasonable a guess for the company's future as any. Deli sandwiches delivered by goofballs all named Steve. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Apple is likely well beyond a concept animation. IIRC, Apple invented iPhone, they didn't just buy it like Microsoft did Surface. iPhone was also brought to market sooner and appears to serve millions more customers than Surface. You might say Surface only scratched the surface of the market for touch devices. This Courier or Cotex or whatever may only have a future if it can tell me when my coffee cup, which will sit nicely on it, needs a warmer and it's time to order a sandwich.
  • Reply 137 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Sorry to have to correct you on this point, but it's pretty well established that FUD was originally developed at IBM.
  • Reply 138 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Sorry to have to correct you on this point, but it's pretty well established that FUD was originally developed at IBM.

But perfected by Microsoft.
  • Reply 139 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

But perfected by Microsoft.

Well, I'm not sure they've quite perfected it, but they shouldn't get credit for it as an innovation of theirs.
  • Reply 140 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

... Its being leaked because ...

Yes, and to Carly Simon's tune of Nobody Does It Better ... (leaking)