Droid arrives on Verizon Nov. 6 with Google Maps Navigation

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Motorola and Verizon hope to slow the momentum of Apple's iPhone with next week's launch of the Motorola Droid phone, which will arrive equipped with a beta version of the new Google Maps Navigation.

The first Android 2.0-equipped smartphone will arrive on the largest wireless carrier in the U.S. next week, Verizon officially announced Wednesday. The news also coincided with the unveiling of Google's free Maps Navigation service, which will be a part of all Android 2.0 devices.

"This is an exciting announcement for Verizon Wireless, as the Droid by Motorola is the first device that we are bringing to market under our ground-breaking strategic partnership with Google," said John Stratton, executive vice president and chief marketing officer for Verizon Wireless. "Droid by Motorola gives customers a lifestyle device with access to more than 12,000 applications that will help them stay in touch, up to date and entertained, using the best 3G network in the country."

The Droid has a 3.7-inch screen with a width of 843 pixels. It is equipped with the Google Android mobile operating system, has a slide-out hardware keyboard, and can multi-task applications. It is the first in a line of Android-based handsets that Verizon hopes will compete with the success of the iPhone, exclusive to rival carrier AT&T.

The hardware is said to be slightly thicker than an iPhone 3GS. Internally, it runs a quick TI OMAP3430 processor. It will cost $199 with a two-year contract.

"We?re proud to work with Verizon Wireless and Google on the first smartphone to feature Android 2.0," said Sanjay Jha, co-chief executive officer of Motorola and chief executive officer of Motorola Mobile Devices. "Droid by Motorola delivers a rich consumer experience with warp-speed Web browsing, a mammoth screen, and Motorola?s expertise in design and voice quality. Combined with Android's open, flexible graphical user interface and the power of Verizon Wireless?' 3G network, Droid is a smartphone that simply doesn?t compromise."

During Apple's quarterly earnings call last week, executive Tim Cook said that he believes the iPhone remains multiple steps ahead of its competitors. Other platforms, he said, are still trying to catch up with the first iPhone launched in 2007.

Motorola has become aggressive in targeting the iPhone with its Droid advertising. A TV spot released last week mimics Apple's advertisements and product names with statements like "iDon't have a real keyboard" and "iDon't run simultaneous apps."

The Google Maps Navigation service, a part of the Droid and Android 2.0, was also unveiled Wednesday. The beta mobile application will offer 3D views, turn-by-turn voice guidance and automatic rerouting.

"Unlike most navigation systems, Google Maps Navigation was built from the ground up to take advantage of your phone's Internet connection," the company said.

The service will allow users to search by voice, offer live traffic updates, and integrates with the Google Maps satellite view and Street View. It also features a special user interface enabled when the hardware is hooked in to a car dock.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 186
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Hmmm...

This is looking like not a bad phone. Personally, it seems to me like the first competitor to come up with a reasonable product to challenge the iPhone. Will it be better? I doubt it. But it's good to see the competition catching up.
  • Reply 2 of 186
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    That Google Maps Navigation App looks wicked cool. Doubt it'll ever come to the Apple App Store though because TomTom and Navigon would pitch a fit over it being free.
  • Reply 3 of 186
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I expect to be bombarded with advertising from all sides during the World Series beginning tonight. Perfect timing for a war.
  • Reply 4 of 186
    I am curious to see if Verizon has really changed it's culture in regards to Naziesque control. It's a decent phone, so we'll see.
  • Reply 5 of 186
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Damn that Google Maps app looks awesome I want! (Maybe as a jailbreak app?) The android is slowly killing WinMo.
  • Reply 6 of 186
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I am curious to see if Verizon has really changed it's culture in regards to Naziesque control. It's a decent phone, so we'll see.

Hey, what works for Apple , works for Verizon. One is the largest music distributor control freak and one is the largest cell phone carrier control freak.
  • Reply 7 of 186
    Droid = Pre Killer, not iPhone Killer.

And, how much of our digital lives are we willing to let Google have access to? If you look to their Maps Nav software for direction to Johnny's Bike Shop, are you willing to be peppered with ads for bicycles, helmets, and gear thru Google's ad services, mapping software, and mail platforms? Don't get me wrong, Google is great and they make some cool products. But folks, they make money by selling ads. Don't kid yourselves, everything else they do is about data mining to sell more ads and get more clicks.
  • Reply 8 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

That Google Maps Navigation App looks wicked cool. Doubt it'll ever come to the Apple App Store though because TomTom and Navigon would pitch a fit over it being free.

From what I've read Apple and Google are in talks to integrate this into iPhone's built-in Maps app. So yeah, it'll probably never come to the App Store.
  • Reply 9 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iTuomas View Post

From what I've read Apple and Google are in talks to integrate this into iPhone's built-in Maps app. So yeah, it'll probably never come to the App Store.

Well, hopefully, Apple will be replacing the built-in Maps app with their own app, shortly.
  • Reply 10 of 186
    I gotta wonder about the marketing sense of taking the HAL eye, and merging it with Terminator and Transformers styles, then using that as the primary iconography for this phone.

Do we really want a phone sold as an evil robot/computer?
  • Reply 11 of 186
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

And, how much of our digital lives are we willing to let Google have access to?

Google already knows all unfortunately. It will soon be bought by homeland security (if not already). If you notice Apple too uses Google Maps and default search for Safari.
  • Reply 12 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Hey, what works for Apple , works for Verizon. One is the largest music distributor control freak and one is the largest cell phone carrier control freak.

And you stopped taking "THE PILLS" way too soon.
  • Reply 13 of 186
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    I want an European GSM version
  • Reply 14 of 186
    First off: Not Apple Related.

I can't wait to try out this device. It sounds really nice, and my husband (yeah, we just got married) has the new every two coming up next month. May just get him this phone if we decide its a good fit for him. But I won't say if I like it or not until I play with it, but it looks impressive.

Did anyone notice that "Droid" was a licensed name from LucasFilm? Lame.
  • Reply 15 of 186
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Another wannabe iPhone look alike. Anybody, who is not a techie, using the Android will find the user interface not as intuitive as the iPhone. It may have more features, but it will take reading the manual. The average person hates to read manuals. The hardware is getting slick, but too thick and the keyboard.

I think the Pre is a much more capable device and the UI was better than the Android. Got a lot of hype like the Android. I am long Apple, was long a small amount of Palm but dumped since I got in a little late. I am going to check out the Droid and see if Moto did any magic. Occasionally Moto does have a bout of creativity like with Razr.
  • Reply 16 of 186
    Ah, look, Google can evidently dig into their pockets and dredge some maps of good precision up. Provided, they're hurt by the rejection of their applications and are well-paid by VZW. "No usage for guidance, no usage for guidance"...
  • Reply 17 of 186
    I was a Cingular/AT&T customer for eight years and dropped them for Verizon. After having the same phone with both carriers I waited two years to come back to AT&T. Why? Because the software on the phone with Verizon was like playing pong on a PS3. I even got out of my contract a month early after shaming them on the features that they kill on their phones. I am a proud user of an iPhone and will not look back. I laugh at the Droid commercials because I already know that the interface will badly altered from what Motorola intended.
  • Reply 18 of 186
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    So far Apple has integrated all of Google Maps functionality into the iPhone's Map app.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

• Reply 19 of 186
    If this is any good, it's more of a Pre killer. Feel bad for all those jumping off the cliff with Sprint and Palm. Though Motorola hasn't exactly been doing great before this.

Interesting and feverish battle in the smartphone sector two and a half years after the iphone introduction. It's about time.
  • Reply 20 of 186
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Ah now we see why Google did not allow third party navigation apps to use Google Maps tiles on the iPhone. They were developing their own navigation system.