Review roundup: Motorola Droid, Verizon's first Android handset

Comments

• Reply 41 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

....better be sure you like Verizon and the new DROID....termination fee has been doubled to $350.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10622...s-outrage.html

Wow thats beyond abusive.
  • Reply 42 of 165
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The last decade, the last century, in fact.

Where did you go to school?
  • Reply 43 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

True. However, there was an update to the CDMA standard finalized earlier this year which allows for simultaneous voice/data. Even after Verizon rolls out their 4G network, it will exist side-by-side with the CDMA network for the forseable future. So the question is whether Verizon will upgrade their CDMA network to the new standard?

But as of today, Verizon can not support simultaneous voice/data.

However, you should also keep in mind that ATT only supports simultaneous voice/data on their 3G network (from my understanding). And as Verizon clearly and correctly points out in their recent adds, ATT's 3G coverage is very limited. Basically, if you don't live in a big city, you won't have 3G and won't have simultaneous voice/data.

Good thing 90% of us live in a big city. However, EDGE (2.5G) also supports simultaneous Voice/Data. So, this ad is not as clear or correct as one would think.
  • Reply 44 of 165
    Wow a crappy physical keyboard that you can't actually type correctly on and a crappy browser that you can't actually do multi touch zooming on (hahaha, boy will they not be able to read a thing on this device...). Oh what innovative features... after such long time in the making is that the best moto and google can come up with? I would be the first to commend on a good product but this is pathetic.
  • Reply 45 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The Blackberry is still the #1 smartphone and Apple hasn't been able to change that in two years. So I'm not sure where you get no one has been abot to release anything remotely successful, its more successful.

I would say because your company pays for your blackberry, does not mean its successful. Customer Satisfaction and those looking to replace their existing technology with a better product is considered success..

http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobilize/...infoworld_news

BlackBerry leads the iPhone 40 percent to 30 percent, with Palm's WebOS trailing way back at 7 percent market share

so with your logic, in less than two years the Iphone has jumped into a market and gained over a third of the market and will continue, at current rates of growth, that means Iphone will be at 60% in two more years...

"The survey, taken over a week in September, questioned 4,255 consumers about their phones. The smartphone continues to gain ground: Around 39 percent of respondents said they owned one, compared to 32 percent at the same time last year. Looking forward, 36 percent of those surveyed are planning on purchasing an iPhone in the next 90 days, compared to 27 percent for BlackBerry, and a 8 percent for Palm."

"Apple also came out tops with owners of its phone: 74 percent of iPhone users are "very satisfied" with their phones, which ranks as genuine enthusiasm in the cell phone market -- though little surprise, given both the iPhone's recent topping of J.D. Powers's customer satisfaction survey and a stellar satisfaction rating of 99 percent of iPhone 3GS owners from ChangeWave's own survey in August.

None of the other platforms achieve a majority ranking in ChangeWave's September survey; RIM comes in second with 43 percent of BlackBerry users reporting very satisfied, Palm ranks just 33 percent,....Given the competition -- or lack thereof -- in the satisfaction area, is it really a shock that Apple's finally within spitting distance of the Number 1 market share spot?"

So I would call that more than remotely successful.....

And Fortune 500 would agree that Apple is a success, naming Steve Jobs CEO OF THE DECADE.....

In other news...Balhmer will call Fortune 500 a rounding error and will come out with Fortune 1000 and name himself CEO of the CENTURY....
  • Reply 46 of 165
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I've been fairly underwhelmed by the Android devices released so far. I can't wait to give Droid (or whatever the GSM-flavoured version is called) a good play. Android will probably be a very nice OS by version 3.
  • Reply 47 of 165
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

The Blackberry is still the #1 smartphone and Apple hasn't been able to change that in two years. So I'm not sure where you get no one has been abot to release anything remotely successful, its more successful.

Still? Apple has only been in the market for 2 years and they are right on the heels of RiM in unit sales despite the excessive BOGO offers.But more importantly, they have already surpassed them in profit. In fact, Apple’s iPhone reportedly accounted for 32% of all profit from all phones worldwide for the first half of 2009. How you can’t see this as impressive is dumbfounding.

PS: Nokia is still number one and will continue to be number one in unit sales for awhile even with their falling marketshare.

Quote:

Wow thats beyond abusive.

That isn’t for all phones, just the ones that are overly subsidized. I wouldn’t be surprised to see other carries follow suit. The cheapest way to buy a new 3GS in the US is to get a 2-year contract with AT&T and then cancel it, paying the $175 early termination fee. Even with the activation fee you are saving quite a bit of money over the unsubsidized price.
  • Reply 48 of 165
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That isn?t for all phones, just the ones that are overly subsidized. I wouldn?t be surprised to see other carries follow suit. The cheapest way to buy a new 3GS in the US is to get a 2-year contract with AT&T and then cancel it, paying the $175 early termination fee. Even with the activation fee you are saving quite a bit of money over the unsubsidized price.

You will save around $50 doing it that way because if you cancel within 30 days you will have to give back the iPhone. So you will pay for the iPhone, activation fee, two months of service, and cancelation fee ($199+$36+$69+$69+$175 = $548 + tax on the device and two periods of service). However, I am not sure if they will give you back part of the second period fees.
  • Reply 49 of 165
    Quote:

I find this to be a serious problem for the device. I understand the desire for some to have a microSD card slot, but in this era of App Phones 500MB can be an issue.

Google is actively working on a solution for this in an official capacity. I believe the issue (like for the BlackBerries) is a security problem. Someone being able to upload and run a malicious program on a microSD card is what I'm guessing. The fix will probably be released for Flan and subsiquent OSs.

[url]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It'll send the competition back about 2 years. Again.

It's Apple.

As long as Steve Jobs and the current iPhone team exist, the competition will always be at a loss. It might sound simplistic, but it's true. Since 2001, Apple has successively redefined the handheld space. Even *wIth* the existence of Apple handhelds, as an example for others, no one was able to release anything as remotely successful and desirable as what Apple released.

Biggest threat to the competition: the very fact that Apple is a player in this space.

The only thing that can trump an iPhone . . . is the next iPhone. We have another iPod phenomenon here.

Then I'm sure you've missed the reports of Android topping the iPhone in marketshare by 2012. The new Android phones have specs to die for and every one that gets bought increases the exposure and userbase. Which means the developers will come en-masse. There's already been a 94% increase in development for Android apps within a month alone!

Once the Android apps reach close to Apple's number, what will Apple have left? Certainly not in specs, as the iPhone has already been passed in technological might. All it's got going for it is the dead-to-nuts simple OS and the apps. Once Android matches in the apps, the only thing left is a choice between the OSs and at that point, I don't think Apple will shine as much as they do now.

I hate to say it, but it's people like you that underestimate the competition that causes your product of choice to start falling behind. Blind faith in a product is never good. How many of Apple's iPhone events have gone and passed with them making the screen bigger or even AMOLED (among the many other things iPhone users have on a wish list)?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Wow a crappy physical keyboard that you can't actually type correctly on and a crappy browser that you can't actually do multi touch zooming on (hahaha, boy will they not be able to read a thing on this device...). Oh what innovative features... after such long time in the making is that the best moto and google can come up with? I would be the first to commend on a good product but this is pathetic.

Don't like the slide-out? The soft keyboard has gotten great reviews. Just because the browser doesn't support pinch-zoom doesn't mean you can't read on it (your comment is borderline iPhone-fanboy zealot). The double-tap zooming works just fine from the videos I've seen and it scrolls around much smoother than the iPhone does. The higher resolution screen also helps in making the text sharp.
  • Reply 50 of 165
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Good thing 90% of us live in a big city. However, EDGE (2.5G) also supports simultaneous Voice/Data. So, this ad is not as clear or correct as one would think.

Thanks for the clarification about 2.5G supporting simultaneous voice/data. It would be nice if ATT's own coverage maps were more specific. They used to show where each level of coverage was. But even the design of their coverage viewer hints that they know their coverage is a weakness (things like forcing you to select from a list of individual cities before showing you were 3G coverage exists).

BTW: According to goverment stats, 68% of the US population lives in cities of 50,000 or larger. So still a pretty big portion of people without 3G on ATT.
  • Reply 51 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You will save around $50 doing it that way because if you cancel within 30 days you will have to give back the iPhone. So you will pay for the iPhone, activation fee, two months of service, and cancelation fee ($199+$36+$69+$69+$175 = $548 + tax on the device and two periods of service). However, I am not sure if they will give you back part of the second period fees.

Actually, you can. Just tell them you don’t have it anymore. Who are they to question what happened to the phone. I did this last year when i bought several 3Gs to sell. Had a wait longer than expected for the jailbreak and unlock, but I made plenty for my trouble. If AT&T raises the cancelation fees you can blame me. I understand fully that I was abusing the system
  • Reply 52 of 165
    Quote:

I find this to be a serious problem for the device. I understand the desire for some to have a microSD card slot, but in this era of App Phones 500MB can be an issue.

That's a good point.

One of the great additional features for me, although it isn't applicable to everybody, is having the MobileMe server space to store some of my photo's, music etc...just when my iPhone's starting to bust at the seems it's nice to be able to have that ecosystem to shed some of the pounds.
  • Reply 53 of 165
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Actually, you can. Just tell them you don?t have it anymore. Who are they to question what happened to the phone. I did this last year when i bought several 3Gs to sell. Had a wait longer than expected for the jailbreak and unlock, but I made plenty for my trouble. If AT&T raises the cancelation fees you can blame me. I understand fully that I was abusing the system

I've decided to get the next iPhone officially unlocked because I will do a lot of traveling in early 2011. I find waiting for the jailbreak and unlock very inconvenient especially now that you will need to jailbreak again if you restart your iPhone (newer iPhones).
  • Reply 54 of 165
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It'll send the competition back about 2 years. Again.

It's Apple.

As long as Steve Jobs and the current iPhone team exist, the competition will always be at a loss. It might sound simplistic, but it's true. Since 2001, Apple has successively redefined the handheld space. Even *wIth* the existence of Apple handhelds, as an example for others, no one was able to release anything as remotely successful and desirable as what Apple released.

Biggest threat to the competition: the very fact that Apple is a player in this space.

The only thing that can trump an iPhone . . . is the next iPhone. We have another iPod phenomenon here.

First off - I think there's enough smart people at Apple that if (God forbid) Jobs gets sick again and dies, the iphone will continue to evolve and be great.

Secondly - As long as Apple continues to stay exclusively on AT&T, there will be one giant reason not to buy one.

The iphone is great and everything, but why should someone pay $20 extra a month for unlimited "iphone messaging"? It's no different and it's the kind of scammy BS people have to put up with simply because the iphone is so popular or "desirable" as you put it.

At least with Verizon, their excuse of charging you so much a month for a comparable plan is backed by a solid excuse: Their network coverage is far more superior to AT&T's.

The most practical, mainstream thing to get right now is an HTC Hero from Sprint. They don't have the best coverage, but they have excellent data speeds, and at least they don't make excuses to screw you out of more money. Oh, and unlimited mobile to mobile is nice too. On my particular phone, I tether wirelessly for free, and can hit almost 2mb/s at home. That alone makes up for any shitty customer service lol
  • Reply 55 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Where did you go to school?

Oh, I see, you think the new century started in 2000. How quaint.
  • Reply 56 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Don't like the slide-out? The soft keyboard has gotten great reviews. Just because the browser doesn't support pinch-zoom doesn't mean you can't read on it (your comment is borderline iPhone-fanboy zealot). The double-tap zooming works just fine from the videos I've seen and it scrolls around much smoother than the iPhone does. The higher resolution screen also helps in making the text sharp.

that OBVIOUSLY was a troll you were replying to lol. Nobody in the world is dumb enough to think that because a browser's zoom method isn't multi touch oriented, that somehow you won't be able to read the text. It's just not possible for anyone to be so inane.

And the keyboard comment? LOL! Lets see how many words per minute someone on an iphone can type verses someone on a physical keyboard WITHOUT mistakes. Physical keys always trump onscreen. There are downsides to that though, like complication to design and having to manufacture specific phones for specific parts of the world.

AsianBob, this guy was just trying to make apple fanboys look bad by posing as one with borderline retardation.
  • Reply 57 of 165
    Quote:

Actually, you can. Just tell them you don?t have it anymore. Who are they to question what happened to the phone. I did this last year when i bought several 3Gs to sell. Had a wait longer than expected for the jailbreak and unlock, but I made plenty for my trouble. If AT&T raises the cancelation fees you can blame me. I understand fully that I was abusing the system

naughty naughty!

actually, people have been using registry hacks to disable the keyboard on touch pro 1's because the insurance company is replacing them with touch pro 2's right now lol. Scamming aint exactly my thing, but can you blame them when the system is so easy to cheat?
  • Reply 58 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

That's a good point.

One of the great additional features for me, although it isn't applicable to everybody, is having the MobileMe server space to store some of my photo's, music etc...just when my iPhone's starting to bust at the seems it's nice to be able to have that ecosystem to shed some of the pounds.

MM is worth all $69/year, but I do with that I could use it as a USB drive, copy local items from MM to the device or to the MM server, and have that be accessible by any computer I choose if I plug it into the USB.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I've decided to get the next iPhone officially unlocked because I will do a lot of traveling in early 2011. I find waiting for the jailbreak and unlock very inconvenient especially now that you will need to jailbreak again if you restart your iPhone (newer iPhones).

I may have to do that as well. Going to travel Europe next year for a few months. Iceland is about $1USD to 122 Icelandic Kronur.
  • Reply 59 of 165
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Oh, I see, you think the new century started in 2000. How quaint.

No I don't, not at all - why would I?

But why do you think 2000 is in the last decade? Do tell us? Won't you? ( foot meet mouth)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse

The last decade, the last century, in fact.

• Reply 60 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Then I'm sure you've missed the reports of Android topping the iPhone in marketshare by 2012. The new Android phones have specs to die for and every one that gets bought increases the

No, I saw them.

I'm waiting for Christmas so I can get my iTimeMachine, too.

But hey, Android is off to a great start:

256mb available for app storage. No support for installation of apps to SD cards. Most popular iPhone apps (such as games) easily exceed 100mb. So what exactly is going to fit on the Droid? Probably why it has only three panels.

It had better do gaming, and do it as well and easily as the iPhone.

And users had better really, really like the Droid. In fact, they had better have at least 350 reasons to like it.

And that's just a couple of points of limitation for an unreleased, untested device in a market which is continually redefined by Apple.

Again, if you're in the same space as Apple, your competing product had better be revolutionary. Because just "good enough" is never good enough when competing with Apple.