[CENTER]

This is not the droid your looking for.[/CENTER]

HA! Perfect
  • Reply 62 of 165
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

No I don't, not at all - why would I?

But why do you think 2000 is in the last decade? Do tell us? Won't you? ( foot meet mouth)

The first decade was year 1 to year 10. That is the first 10 year period. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. There was no ?zeroth year?. That means, if you keep counting up today, 1991?2000 is a Gregorian decade and 2001?2010 is another Gregorian decade.
  • Reply 63 of 165
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I may have to do that as well. Going to travel Europe next year for a few months. Iceland is about $1USD to 122 Icelandic Kronur.

Let me know if you find good deal and I will let you know if I find one. Mark your calendar for Jun 25th 2010
  • Reply 64 of 165
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

The first decade was year 1 to year 10. That is the first 10 year period. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. There was no “zeroth year”. That means, if you keep counting up today, 1991—2000 is a Gregorian decade and 2001—2010 is another Gregorian decade.

NO! Really?

2010 begins a new decade on the planet I live on.

Where is the planet Gregor?

Do you chant in Gregorian?

So it's you in that picture that runs around in that brown clothed frock with hood!
  • Reply 65 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Let me know if you find good deal and I will let you know if I find one. Mark your calendar for Jun 25th 2010

Is that Gregorian? He might not understand it otherwise.
  • Reply 66 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

GThen I'm sure you've missed the reports of Android topping the iPhone in marketshare by 2012. The new Android phones have specs to die for and every one that gets bought increases the exposure and userbase. Which means the developers will come en-masse. There's already been a 94% increase in development for Android apps within a month alone!

Once the Android apps reach close to Apple's number, what will Apple have left? Certainly not in specs, as the iPhone has already been passed in technological might. All it's got going for it is the dead-to-nuts simple OS and the apps. Once Android matches in the apps, the only thing left is a choice between the OSs and at that point, I don't think Apple will shine as much as they do now.

I have no doubt that Android-based phones will out number iPhone OS-based phones without a couple years, but what I don?t believe is that the iPhone will crumble because of it. The Mac is a very successful product yet it doesn?t need to have a majority marketshare to still be lucrative and viable. Same goes for the iPhone.

The iPhone has many pluses that an open-source mobile OS can?t compete with, just as the Android has it?s own pros that the iPhone can?t readily compete with. There is plenty of room in this growing market for both mobile OSes. Both will thrive, but Apple will likely be at the top of this market with everything else being compared to it.
  • Reply 67 of 165
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Once the Android apps reach close to Apple's number, what will Apple have left? Certainly not in specs, as the iPhone has already been passed in technological might. All it's got going for it is the dead-to-nuts simple OS and the apps. Once Android matches in the apps, the only thing left is a choice between the OSs and at that point, I don't think Apple will shine as much as they do now.

I hate to say it, but it's people like you that underestimate the competition that causes your product of choice to start falling behind. Blind faith in a product is never good. How many of Apple's iPhone events have gone and passed with them making the screen bigger or even AMOLED (among the many other things iPhone users have on a wish list)?

Really? "Specs"? Do you actually imagine that the average consumer considers a smartphone, then starts asking around about "specs"? Are you picturing people saying to themselves, "You know, I was considering getting an iPhone but I hear that that Droid has, um, I guess, higher resolution screen and camera? Sold!"

I never cease to be amazed at the tunnel vision of geeks. Really, it's astonishing.

As far as "nothing left to the iPhone besides the OS", I guess Apple will stop improving the iPhone at this point and wait for everyone else to finish catching up? And shut down the iTunes ecosystem? And prevent anyone from making any more third party hardware accessories?

I don't doubt Android will do just fine for itself, but talk of the imminent eclipse of the iPhone is absurd.
  • Reply 68 of 165
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

....better be sure you like Verizon and the new DROID....termination fee has been doubled to $350.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10622...s-outrage.html

You better like that phone with Verizon since they are going to rape you to go elsewhere... One thing you can count on with Verizon, they will figure out a way to make you pay.

That termination fee is more than what the phone cost them to subsidize, and it is an obvious ploy to keep people from leaving Verizon once you sign on. If they can not provide good service to keep you they keep you because it will be too much to leave.
  • Reply 69 of 165
    Quote:

I wonder if they use Apple's premium computers?

They might, maybe they pump them up full of juice to cool them off sot hey can run faster
  • Reply 70 of 165
    Quote:

Don't like the slide-out? The soft keyboard has gotten great reviews. Just because the browser doesn't support pinch-zoom doesn't mean you can't read on it (your comment is borderline iPhone-fanboy zealot). The double-tap zooming works just fine from the videos I've seen and it scrolls around much smoother than the iPhone does. The higher resolution screen also helps in making the text sharp.

You are kidding me right? With such a small screen no zoom kills any reading period, even at ultra super duper hd resolution. And so the slide out is a lemon, but no worries there's the one screen one that doesn't even auto correct.

The crux of the matter is that with all that hype from google (no. 1 btw in self aggrandizing and failing to deliver behind ms) this phone is still something that would have been half acceptable three years ago, not something that comes out now after everyone and their brother has got a smart phone out, and it's supposed to bring something to the table. It's a pathetic showcase.
  • Reply 71 of 165
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

I have no doubt that Android-based phones will out number iPhone OS-based phones without a couple years, but what I don?t believe is that the iPhone will crumble because of it. The Mac is a very successful product yet it doesn?t need to have a majority marketshare to still be lucrative and viable. Same goes for the iPhone.

The iPhone has many pluses that an open-source mobile OS can?t compete with, just as the Android has it?s own pros that the iPhone can?t readily compete with. There is plenty of room in this growing market for both mobile OSes. Both will thrive, but Apple will likely be at the top of this market with everything else being compared to it.

Exactly. I don't know why people keep thinking that for one to succeed the other must fail. There is enough place for everyone as long as everyone plays by the rule. Personally I don't like MS because of they abused their power but I really don't want to see them go down. Actually, I am buying a laptop for my father in few days and it is not a Mac it is a Dell with Windows 7. However, I am kind of pissed that I will have to pay $150 extra for the Ultimate version to get multilingual feature, which is why I am getting a PC to begin with. Mac OS still lacks full Arabic localization even though it is the fifth most spoken language in the world
  • Reply 72 of 165
    Quote:

2010 begins a new decade on the planet I live on.

That explains a lot.
  • Reply 73 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Really? "Specs"? Do you actually imagine that the average consumer considers a smartphone, then starts asking around about "specs"? Are you picturing people saying to themselves, "You know, I was considering getting an iPhone but I hear that that Droid has, um, I guess, higher resolution screen and camera? Sold!"

I never cease to be amazed at the tunnel vision of geeks. Really, it's astonishing.

Normal consumers and truly educated “geeks” don’t look at specs. I love how some specs are look at while ignoring others, especially the ones that affect overall performance and usability.

— I don’t care if the display resolution is better if the UI looks unrefined and the layout is abysmal.

— I don’t care if the camera has 80% more pixels if the CMOS and software result is a worse image.

— I don’t care if the CPU is faster, the RAM is higher if the OS and apps don’t work as well.

— I don’t care if the micro-SD card slot can hold more total data if I am limited on my app storage or longterm ability to upgrade my OS (eg: HTC G1).

That is my iDon’t ad.
  • Reply 74 of 165
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Again, if you're in the same space as Apple, your competing product had better be revolutionary. Because just "good enough" is never good enough when competing with Apple.

you're completely delusional and need your head examined.

Verizon can't keep touch pro 2's in stock!
  • Reply 75 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That explains a lot.

We're still waiting on your explanation why you think 2000 is in a prior decade and why Fortune still has another year left to decide CEO of the Decade.

Can't conjure up anything- eh?
  • Reply 76 of 165
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

As far as "nothing left to the iPhone besides the OS", I guess Apple will stop improving the iPhone at this point and wait for everyone else to finish catching up? And shut down the iTunes ecosystem? And prevent anyone from making any more third party hardware accessories?

I don't doubt Android will do just fine for itself, but talk of the imminent eclipse of the iPhone is absurd.

I think his point was that if everyone's always screaming that the iphone has everything they ever wanted, then what's stopping Apple from getting lazy? The 3gs wasn't exactly leaps and bounds over the 3g, but it brought what everyone was complaining that they wanted. What is anyone really voicing a need for these days?

Now as far as saying geeks have tunnel vision, that's really the pot calling the kettle black. Most people around here don't even consider a non-apple-product when there's a counter solution being offered by Apple. You don't need to be a geek to see the potential in things coming from all kinds of different companies. I don't know what you need to be to ignorantly ignore that and just say "Apple's better" without really looking into what you're saying. Case in point: When someone says my phone isn't capable of the same 3d rendering performance as an iphone, I show them XTrakt. In this regard, it boils down to developers simply not paying attention to WM.
  • Reply 77 of 165
    Quote:

We're still waiting on your explanation why you think 2000 is in a prior decade and why Fortune still has another year left to decide CEO of the Decade.

Can't conjure up anything- eh?

Dammit boy! You’ve had it explained by like 3 different people now. The calendar didn’t start on year zero, it started on year one. To say that 2000 started the decade you have to have started CE with year zero.
  • Reply 78 of 165
    Quote:

Dammit boy! Were you raised by orangoutangs with Down Syndrome? You’ve had it explained by like 3 different people now. The calendar didn’t start on year zero, it started on year one. To say that 2000 started the decade you have to have started CE with year zero.

Watch your mouth.

Moderators- is this derogatory name calling really acceptable at AI?

solipsism-You're the only spewiing out Gregorian explanations on here as if we care.

Did you write to Fortune yet and tell them they made a mistake in thinking this decade ends 12/31/09?????
  • Reply 79 of 165
    Quote:

Still? Apple has only been in the market for 2 years and they are right on the heels of RiM in unit sales despite the excessive BOGO offers.But more importantly, they have already surpassed them in profit. In fact, Apple?s iPhone reportedly accounted for 32% of all profit from all phones worldwide for the first half of 2009. How you can?t see this as impressive is dumbfounding.

PS: Nokia is still number one and will continue to be number one in unit sales for awhile even with their falling marketshare.

That isn?t for all phones, just the ones that are overly subsidized. I wouldn?t be surprised to see other carries follow suit. The cheapest way to buy a new 3GS in the US is to get a 2-year contract with AT&T and then cancel it, paying the $175 early termination fee. Even with the activation fee you are saving quite a bit of money over the unsubsidized price.

The iphone sales are impressive and the iphone itself is impressive however the point was its not the only impressive smartphone and not all other phones are due to fail or fall behind the iphone. Which is of course what Quadra says about everything that isn't made by Apple. No one is denying the success of Apple or the iPhone however that doesn't mean that everything else is doomed to fail.

A 350.00 disconnect/early termination fee is abusive by any standard. Doesn't matter if its not on all phones now or not because once you implement something like that it can easily spread to all phones and then be adopted by other carriers. Regulations are suppose to try and tame this kind of behavior but it continues to get worse.
  • Reply 80 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The iphone sales are impressive and the iphone itself is impressive however the point was its not the only impressive smartphone and not all other phones are due to fail or fall behind the iphone. Which is of course what Quadra says about everything that isn't made by Apple. No one is denying the success of Apple or the iPhone however that doesn't mean that everything else is doomed to fail.

Hmm. I don?t recall him implying "everything else is doomed to fail.? In fact, as I recall he is one of the many posters here that understand that know that Apple?s business model means lower unit sales and that the market can bare multiple products all thriving in their respective market segments.

Quote:

A 350.00 disconnect/early termination fee is abusive by any standard. Doesn't matter if its not on all phones now or not because once you implement something like that it can easily spread to all phones and then be adopted by other carriers. Regulations are suppose to try and tame this kind of behavior but it continues to get worse.

I think it?s excessive, but the substations for these phones are getting excessive, too. Personally, I?d rather buy it outright, but if my data plan is the same regardless it makes no sense. Next year I?ll be outside the country often so I may just go with an unlocked iPhone with a month to month plan.