Review roundup: Motorola Droid, Verizon's first Android handset

Comments

• Reply 81 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

You are kidding me right? With such a small screen no zoom kills any reading period, even at ultra super duper hd resolution. And so the slide out is a lemon, but no worries there's the one screen one that doesn't even auto correct.

The crux of the matter is that with all that hype from google (no. 1 btw in self aggrandizing and failing to deliver behind ms) this phone is still something that would have been half acceptable three years ago, not something that comes out now after everyone and their brother has got a smart phone out, and it's supposed to bring something to the table. It's a pathetic showcase.

No idea where you're getting this "no auto correct" thing from, but Eclair's build has auto correct and prediction. Especially for all the contacts you're typing.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/and...ighlights.html

The slide-out may be a lemon to you, but thankfully, your word isn't the end-all, be-all for the world. There will be people that like it after using it for a time.

As for the screen resolution, how does a higher pixel density not help? The higher the density, the sharper the text, even for a screen of that size (which isn't actually that small). And from what I've seen, the double-tap zooms in to a nicely balanced level. While the native browser doesn't do pinch-zoom, there's nothing to say that a third-party browser won't either. Multitouch works on Eclair.

The real crux of the matter is that you're just slamming on the Droid because you don't like that there's competition. What is it that Google hasn't "delivered" on? All the features they said would be in Eclair, has shown up on Eclair. Is there room for improvement? Sure, but to say that they haven't delivered is just stupid.

Does Apple offer free turn-by-turn navigation integrated? Does Apple offer universal integrated voice search that searches all your data on the phone and on the internet cloud and works for navigation?

Google has delivered on some real innovation with Eclair (stuff that Apple will want in the future, mind you). To throw your blanket statement out there like that is just sad. Please read up and know the competition before just dismissing it. You're even giving the die-hard Apple fanboys a bad name.
  • Reply 82 of 165
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

No idea where you're getting this "no auto correct" thing from, but Eclair's build has auto correct and prediction. Especially for all the contacts you're typing.

The reviews I?ve read have stated the predictive text and overall use of the virtual keyboard are still not as good as the iPhone?s.

Quote:

The slide-out may be a lemon to you, but thankfully, your word isn't the end-all, be-all for the world.

I?ve also read reviews of the physical keyboard not being as fast as typing with the virtual keyboard because the keys are too flush and don?t give enough tactile feedback when pressed, making it less natural to use than other physical keyboards.
  • Reply 83 of 165
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I wonder what's on tap for iPhone v2010. Any predictions on whether/how Apple will advance the ball?

Because Apple will be using a PA-Semi design for the CPU, I think it'll be faster (duh!) but more importantly, move way ahead of all competitors in battery life.

At this point, I don't think LTE 4G will be included yet in 2010, especially since the design for the 2010 iPhone will be done before the end of this year.
  • Reply 84 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The reviews I?ve read have stated the predictive text and overall use of the virtual keyboard are still not as good as the iPhone?s.

I?ve also read reviews of the physical keyboard not being as fast as typing with the virtual keyboard because the keys are too flush and don?t give enough tactile feedback when pressed, making it less natural to use than other physical keyboards.

Still not as good, maybe. But it's not complete trash, as myapplelove implies. This is a software thing that can be solved with an update (2.1 is already being worked on).

As for the physical keyboard, I'm taking those reviews with a grain of salt until I can get my hands on a Droid for myself and do a bit of typing. There is a bit of subjectivity here. Their thumbs aren't my thumbs, so who knows...

The one thing I have going for me is that I currently have a BB Storm. And you know that typing is on a completely flat screen with feedback. I can type pretty fast in QWERTY mode with it. By the sounds of things, it's roughly the same as the Droid's keyboard, so I guess I'll already be used to the feeling.
  • Reply 85 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

HA! Perfect

Nah, actually it would have been perfect if he hadn't misspelled "you're", the contraction of you are by using the word "your", the possessive in its place. Not that I normally point out spelling and grammar errors, because I am sure there are plenty in my own posts, including this one.
  • Reply 86 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The Blackberry is still the #1 smartphone and Apple hasn't been able to change that in two years. So I'm not sure where you get no one has been abot to release anything remotely successful, its more successful.

Apple owns ~ 80% of the profits in the Smart Phone market. Blackberry is losing in that area.
  • Reply 87 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Apple owns ~ 80% of the profits in the Smart Phone market. Blackberry is losing in that area.

Whoa there! Most places I've read have the iPhone at 32% of the smartphone profits.
  • Reply 88 of 165
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Whoa there! Most places I've read have the iPhone at 32% of the smartphone profits.

Peolple make up stuff on here all the time especially the one (who's name shall not be invoked in vain) who keeps stating that the iPhone will never, ever get a physical camera flash.

Unless they provide a link to ridiculous claims - ignore it.
  • Reply 89 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I just wish somebody would put some real pressure on Apple. It would be interesting to see how the iPhone evolves in response to competion. It's been over 2 years and nobody has come close to dethroning Apple IMO.

Why do you (and many others) say and think this all the time? as if Apple didn't push itself forward without any pressure of competitors... none of them got close to apple, yet it comes out with new developments all the time.

Why are you thinking that any pressure could accelerate it more? I don't think this kind of threat can do good for the company's dev plan.

And none of the competitors tried to compete about the quality, about originality, all of them tries to enter in the battle with low-price issue or copying the features and increasing those with some useless ones

Yeah, this year iPod nano finally got FM radio (that had been whined for a long), wow, so what? I got this feature in my Nokia phone but could hardly ever use it because of the poor quality of reachable channels.

or you want cheap notebooks inclueded blueray with one working hour of battery?

you want a phone that's as slim as iphone but has a real keyboard?

you want firewire in any low-price model of macbook?

you want cardreader that fits in a 4th dimension of the notebook case because by now in 3D it's impossible, if you don't want to reduce the battery or other features.

Do you guys really think that apple does what Intel (and many other tech companies) had been doing for many years when they held new technology back, just to get enough profit after the cost of the developments of the previous ones, with the lack of competitors?

I don't think so.
  • Reply 90 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

NO! Really?

2010 begins a new decade on the planet I live on.

Where is the planet Gregor?

Do you chant in Gregorian?

So it's you in that picture that runs around in that brown clothed frock with hood!

do you have constantly make an asinine comment when someone tries to correct your misinformed obloquies
  • Reply 91 of 165
    Quote:

The article below reads that it’s 32% for all handset vendors worldwide, not just the US nor just for smartphones. However, other sites reissuing the news are specifically stating smartphone market share.
  • Reply 92 of 165
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Peolple make up stuff on here all the time especially the one (who's name shall not be invoked in vain) who keeps stating that the iPhone will never, ever get a physical camera flash.

Unless they provide a link to ridiculous claims - ignore it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

32% of the entire industry. All phones.

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/08/05/...-half-of-2009/
  • Reply 93 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Doubly impressive when you consider the sales slum that has been occuring before the summer iPhone release.
  • Reply 94 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhetoric.assassin View Post

do you have constantly make an asinine comment when someone tries to correct your misinformed obloquies

No- only when someone asinine constantly makes misinformed corrections to my factual comments.
  • Reply 95 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I wonder what's on tap for iPhone v2010. Any predictions on whether/how Apple will advance the ball?

Here is one rumor that looks to feasible?
  • Reply 96 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Doubly impressive when you consider the sales slum that has been occuring before the summer iPhone release.

No- it's totally reasonable when you consider the new iPhone got a better camera with video, and a compass, and speed - all 3 of which were lacking in the prior 2 versions and new buyers were clamoring for.

Not to mention cut and paste & MMS.
  • Reply 97 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Because Apple will be using a PA-Semi design for the CPU, I think it'll be faster (duh!) but more importantly, move way ahead of all competitors in battery life.

At this point, I don't think LTE 4G will be included yet in 2010, especially since the design for the 2010 iPhone will be done before the end of this year.

Forgot to add, once that happens, limited multi-tasking will be enabled for third party apps.
  • Reply 98 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

And that was just the first half of 2009. Wait til they run the same analysis for 3rd qtr.
  • Reply 99 of 165
    Quote:

Forgot to add, once that happens, limited multi-tasking will be enabled for third party apps.

Yes, limited multitasking. While it's impressive that my Storm can have 20+ apps open at the same time, it eats up memory really quickly. From what I've seen, Android lets you have 6 apps open at the same time. I'm not sure if it automatically does a rolling closing (rhymes!) of apps higher than 6.

Most people probably won't have 6 apps open at the same time. 10 is pushing it. Limited multitasking is a good balance between multitasking and making sure there's plenty of memory for those apps.
  • Reply 100 of 165
    Quote:

I think that will happen with iPhone OS v4.0 next summer, and will included with iPhones starting with the 3GS. My reasoning is, the 3GS has a fast enough CPU and enough RAM (256MB) to run many 3rd-app(s) in the background without adversely affecting performance. I think it will need to be setup like the Push Notifications settings, where you select from your list of viable 3rd-party apps to see which one(s) you want to keep running in the background when you press the Home Button. Apple may do this via an API so that no app can be allowed to run in the background unless the developer specifically adds support for it. Once support is added the app will show up in the Backgrounder setting with an on/off toggle switch.