Windows 7 tops Vista software sales, lags behind in hardware

Comments

• Reply 41 of 248
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

What is it like (Windows 7)? It must be more intuitive than XP? I've never used Vista so I would be coming from that perspective.

MS could make the coolest OS ever with all kinds of advancements, but if the GUI stays the same then people whine about how nothing changed. when they change the GUI too much people complain that they don't want to learn the new GUI.

Google Desktop is a dog when it indexes your stuff but people love it. MS did the same thing in Vista and people hated it and said Vista was too slow.

7 is OK. snappier than Vista. Same kernel as Vista SP2. XP Mode works great and is nice and fast. for some reason my IE still refuses to update RSS feeds. most of the big changes between XP and Win 7 came between Vista RTM and SP2 when they changed kernels
  • Reply 42 of 248
    Quote:

Microsoft's heavily hyped Windows 7 debut was a success for the Redmond, Wash., company in terms of boxed software, which saw a 234 percent increase over Vista, though PC hardware sales slowed.

I've mentioned it before, Windows 7 is going to do well.

What's going to do even better come the holidays is Windows 7 netbooks.

But!

1: Netbooks are underpowered, as people will soon realize. But they will accept it because netbooks are trendy and cheaper, in this rough economy. Also they have a Xbox or a PS3 for gaming, don't need it on their computers anymore.

2: Windows 7 still requires anti-virus software, which Windows 7 is under this assumption that it will be a more robust OS than XP. Which it is not really when 8 out of 10 recent malware gets through and infects Windows 7. When netbook buyers realize even more performance loss because they are running anti-malware software, they will regret their decision.

So expect a flood of cheap netbook sales for the holidays and dead sales until school starts the end of next summer.

10.2% nationwide unemployment today.

Apple needs to bring some manufacturing back to the US. Most of their hardware is built by machine anyway, but it would create some jobs and good press.

Yes I know about the data center Apple is building.
  • Reply 43 of 248
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

the fact that 29.99 is the same price a snow leopard qualifies this article to be apple insider news?

how about comparing windows 7 with tomato fertilizer for the same price? sounds more appropriate...

First of all, the continuing "saga" of M$ versus Apple, has been, and will be of interest to almost anyone following computer OS development .... or are you just trying to find something, anything to whine and bitch about.

Secondly, this is not the only story on AI ... if you're not interested, just skip it and move on ... simple. Interesting that you choose to bitch about it instead ... why?
  • Reply 44 of 248
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    It's nice to see that MOST people in this thread can appreciate at good product regardless of who makes it.

I moved from the Windows world to the Mac world a few months ago not because Windows sucks, but because I couldn't find a Windows-based machine that offered me the sexy looks and battery life of a 13" MacBook Pro encased in aluminum. I'm still running a copy of Windows 7 RC1 in VirtualBox and have no complaints.

It's a shame that some people, however, have to be so close-minded when it comes to Microsoft.
  • Reply 45 of 248
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    How many of those "sold" boxes of Fista SP3 are actually sitting on shelves at WalMart or Best Buy?
  • Reply 46 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSux View Post

EXACTLY. Other than two very tame commercials with that little girl, Microsoft itself did very little to promote, and definitely did not "hype" Win 7 at all.

People who used Win7 (RC, RTM, whatever) were the ones who hyped the product. That in itself should say something.

I guess that SB appearance on television or those print ads or banner ads on various web sites don't qualify as hype, huh?
  • Reply 47 of 248
    Quote:

Very few PC people upgrade their OS to begin with. They simply buy new computers as PCs are relatively inexpensive compared to Apple's "premium" hardware.

No doubt due to the eventual "slowing down" of windows OS ... no need to go to the trouble of "cleaning out" the machine when you can just park it and get a new one ... brilliant!
  • Reply 48 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Gald I'm not the only one that sees it. You would think Bill Gates ran over his grandmother. In his world everything not Apple is doomed to fail. Its funny yet pathetic at the same time.

Given Apple's achievements over the last decade and how they've changd the face of consumer tech, Apple "fanboism" is more than forgivable. Can you really blame Apple fans for their enthusiasm? It's completely natural to enjoy and get excited about Apple tech. What's not to like??

Macs

OS X

iPods

iPhone.

And all the software to match.

All best in class.

And after 8 years of half-assing its core business MS finally manages to push out Win 7, while simultaneously destroying its Mobile presence (Apple did that for them, though) and making another half-hearted attempt at an MP3 player, a market that Apple chewed up and spat out about 2 years ago.

Why the hell should I have anything good to say about MS, aside from the fact that their existence makes Apple look that much better? If by some strange twist of fate we'd all be on Linux and Apple machines a few years from now, who would really miss them? What have they really contributed to the consumer sector aside from a loss-leading gaming console and a decent version of Windows after 8 years of garbage? More Office bloatware? An array of confusing Live services? Songsmith?

Aside from their utility as a foil for Apple and to prevent Apple from assuming the problems of dominant marketshare, screw 'em. I see nothing redeeming about MS' products. At all.

MS is the ugly friend the cheerleader hangs out with. That's it.
  • Reply 49 of 248
    Quote:

Well that's not true for computer hardware- at all . Where's Blu-ray? Where's quad laptops? Where's hybrid gloss/matte screens? HDMI? etc, etc. Apple computers just got SD slots for godsake! in 2009!

If they have all of their success without following your "advice" imagine how they would do with it. Actually I'd still put my money on SJ .... anyday!
  • Reply 50 of 248
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Now that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
  • Reply 51 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

See, if the fact that Vista wasn't revolutionary enough for XP users to justify the price is what you call a "garbage operating system" then I wonder what all those people who don't buy OSX upgrades call OSX...

I think a "garbage OS" is when hardware manufacturers actually have to "upgrade" to a previous OS to make a sale ... afaik, still a first in modern history ... way to go M$!
  • Reply 52 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft's heavily hyped Windows 7 debut was a success for the Redmond, Wash., company in terms of boxed software, which saw a 234 percent increase over Vista, though PC hardware sales slowed.

I wonder if the heavily hyped Windows 7 was more or less a success then the heavily hyped Motorola Droid going on sale at Verizon stores? I heard on the news where when Verizon stores close Thursday, the staff wouldn't go home but would set up posters, displays, inventory, etc for a few hours and then come back at midnight for the product release... I don't know if this was for every Verizon store in every state, but I considered going to my local store at midnight but valued my sleep instead.

Did anybody go to the midnite bash? If not how about today, out of curiosity, has anyone looked at the Droid and inquire if it will look to be as successful as Microsoft's Windows 7 launch?
  • Reply 53 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Now that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

You've never heard of "the ugly friend of the hot girl"?? Happens all the time. It's pretty well established in the pop-culture consciousness. Here's a brief example:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ly-friend.html
  • Reply 54 of 248
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

You've never heard of "the ugly friend of the hot girl"??

I've heard of it but it makes no sense in this context. I think it is more like MS is the football player who stepped on your eyeglasses.
  • Reply 55 of 248
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I think a "garbage OS" is when hardware manufacturers actually have to "upgrade" to a previous OS to make a sale ... afaik, still a first in modern history ... way to go M$!

Hmm. Well, actually, it's not exactly an upgrade if it costs less. I think for a lot of manufacturers, it wasn't a matter of trying to make a sale, but rather, trying to compete at lower price ranges.

You can get a netbook with ubuntu. Does that point to saving money, or to an overwhelming outcry of Windows?

Don't get me wrong, I see how you can use that to try and convey your point, but everywhere I saw that offered XP past Vista's release did so to save money, just as offering a dual core processor could save money over a quad core.

There's always a market for yesteryear's greatest.
  • Reply 56 of 248
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Very few PC people upgrade their OS to begin with. They simply buy new computers as PCs are relatively inexpensive compared to Apple's "premium" hardware.

Or could it be the price of Micro$oft's "upgrades"? (Windows 7 is really more like a Vista service pack).
  • Reply 57 of 248
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

Given Apple's achievements over the last decade and how they've changd the face of consumer tech, Apple "fanboism" is more than forgivable. Can you really blame Apple fans for their enthusiasm? It's completely natural to enjoy and get excited about Apple tech. What's not to like??

Macs

OS X

iPods

iPhone.

All best in class.

And after 8 years of half-assing its core business MS finally manages to push out Win 7, while simultaneously destroying its Mobile presence (Apple did that for them, though) and making another half-hearted attempt at an MP3 player, a market that Apple chewed up and spat out about 2 years ago.

Why the hell should I have anything good to say about MS, aside from the fact that their existence makes Apple look that much better? If by some strange twist of fate we'd all be on Linux and Apple machines a few years from now, who would really miss them? What have they really contributed to the consumer sector aside from a loss-leading gaming console and a decent version of Windows after 8 years of garbage? More Office bloatware? An array of confusing Live services? Songsmith?

Aside from their utility as a foil for Apple and to prevent Apple from assuming the problems of dominant marketshare, screw 'em. I see nothing redeeming about MS' products. At all.

Well, you're definitely not alone in getting excited over Apple's progress. When I was in highschool, I used to frown when I thought of Apple. It's because of Apple that I ever became interested in computers to begin with. In elementary school, Apple computers were all we would use. But what happened? They really REALLY let us down. It felt as though they were non-existent while MS was putting out crap like Windows Millennium.

Then when they came out with the ipod, and I knew immediately they weren't going down without a fight. At the time, I was still toting around CD's with mp3's burned to them. To have my entire library of mp3s on a device made complete sense. You know what happened after that.

So Apple got hungry! Their laziness went away, and now they are attacking the market with great products. HIZZAH! If Apple can do to MS EXACTLY what MS did to Apple 10 years ago, then someday MS might make the same sort of comeback, and actually make impressive progress.

Now, when you say what's to like about MS, I kinda giggle. It isn't just MS you bash. ANY kind of competition to Apple, you immediately dismiss without much thought.

BTW, they haven't destroyed their mobile presence. Just because you and all your buds own an iphone doesn't mean they don't have a key roll in the business sector. Pretty much everyone I work with has a WM phone.
  • Reply 58 of 248
    Quote:

Macs

OS X

iPods

iPhone.

All best in class.

Keep it up with the stellar comments your doing all the work for me. You need some serious couch time.

If your going to try and give an opinion on something at least use the product. You don't use Windows 7 or Vista or any Microsoft product for that matter so I'm not sure why you even bother commenting on something you know nothing about.

Simply posting links to articles that other people have written or regurgitating the same old Microsoft vs Apple crap just makes you look foolish when you don't have a clue what you are talking about.
  • Reply 59 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Or could it be the price of Micro$oft's "upgrades"? (Windows 7 is really more like a Vista service pack).

Upgrading to Vista was confusing and the price was high for most users but that isn't the case with Windows 7. People with an .edu email can get it for 29.99 and there is always the option to get the OEM verions which is always alot cheaper. Even retail verions are far better then what Vista cost.
  • Reply 60 of 248
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I wonder if the heavily hyped Windows 7 was more or less a success then the heavily hyped Motorola Droid going on sale at Verizon stores? I heard on the news where when Verizon stores close Thursday, the staff wouldn't go home but would set up posters, displays, inventory, etc for a few hours and then come back at midnight for the product release... I don't know if this was for every Verizon store in every state, but I considered going to my local store at midnight but valued my sleep instead.

Did anybody go to the midnite bash? If not how about today, out of curiosity, has anyone looked at the Droid and inquire if it will look to be as successful as Microsoft's Windows 7 launch?

Well the Droid received an absolutely stellar review in yesterday's NYTimes by Apple fanboi David Pogue. It appears to beat the iPhone in quite a number of categories.

Here check them out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/te...h/05pogue.html