Windows 7 tops Vista software sales, lags behind in hardware

Comments

• Reply 61 of 248
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well the Droid received an absolutely stellar review in yesterday's NYTimes by Apple fanboi David Pogue. It appears to beat the iPhone in quite a number of categories.

Here check them out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/te...h/05pogue.html

Thanks for the link. I read where he says you can email while on a call. That sounds like data and voice at the same time. Which is it? Can or can't do both data and voice.
  • Reply 62 of 248
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,948member
    Quote:

Well the Droid received an absolutely stellar review in yesterday's NYTimes by Apple fanboi David Pogue. It appears to beat the iPhone in quite a number of categories.

"But the Droid has its weak spots, and some of them are heartbreaking. The big one is polish and simplicity; the Droid just doesn?t have enough."

Not the only critical comment in the article. "Stellar" is not the word that comes to mind to characterize his take on the Droid. "Pretty good" would be more accurate.
  • Reply 63 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft's heavily hyped Windows 7 debut was a success for the Redmond, Wash., company in terms of boxed software, which saw a 234 percent increase over Vista, though PC hardware sales slowed.

I'll assume that means vs. the first week sales of Vista, or something similar. To know if it's even meaningful, we'd need to know the absolute numbers. Could be impressive, or not so much.
  • Reply 64 of 248
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

"But the Droid has its weak spots, and some of them are heartbreaking. The big one is polish and simplicity; the Droid just doesn’t have enough."

Not the only critical comment in the article. "Stellar" is not the word that comes to mind to characterize his take on the Droid. "Pretty good" would be more accurate.

Not only do you not know the meaning of the phrase "of the decade" but you also obviously need your buddy solpisism's course in reading comprehension.

Did your eyes not see this?

Quote:

"Motorola’s new team faced a spectacularly difficult task and did a spectacularly great job."

If that's not stellar - tell me what is?
  • Reply 65 of 248
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Simply posting links to articles that other people have written or regurgitating the same old Microsoft vs Apple crap just makes you look foolish when you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

My links to articles and sources from around the net vs. your speculation, conjecture, and anecdotal information.

Worked fine so far.

I just posted my personal opinion, laced with speculation, conjecture, and anecdotal information. Exactly what you do. No doubt I'll find common cause with a lot of members around here, but that's beside the point.

So you keep trying to convince all of us that you're not a Windows troll lost on his way to Winsupersite or Neowin, and I'll keep posting those links.

Deal?
  • Reply 66 of 248
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Hmm. Well, actually, it's not exactly an upgrade if it costs less. I think for a lot of manufacturers, it wasn't a matter of trying to make a sale, but rather, trying to compete at lower price ranges.

Guess you missed the quotation marks around "upgrade" (meant as a sarcasm, ok?) ... and I suppose that the thousands of people who bought a machine with Vista on it and then subsequently downgraded to XP did so to what? .... get a refund on Vista to "save money" (more sarcasm}

Quote:

]Don't get me wrong, I see how you can use that to try and convey your point, but everywhere I saw that offered XP past Vista's release did so to save money.

I haven't seen "spin" like that since the old " We're sure that there are WMD's ... we just can't find them" days.

Quote:

There's always a market for yesteryear's greatest.

Don't worry, M$ has got "yesteryear's market" sewn up! (more ... ah forget it ... if you don't recognize it by now, you never will)
  • Reply 67 of 248
    Quote:

Upgrading to Vista was confusing and the price was high for most users but that isn't the case with Windows 7. People with an .edu email can get it for 29.99 and there is always the option to get the OEM verions which is always alot cheaper. Even retail verions are far better then what Vista cost.

If they keep lowering their price .... they will eventually sell it for what it's worth .... sorry extreme ... could not resist.
  • Reply 68 of 248
    Quote:

[...]

He had some good things to say, he had some bad things to say. Stellar, properly used, implies it was all good; it wasn't.

For a definition of "stellar" see: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/stellar

Then, if you can use it correctly in a sentence, we can talk about adding a row to teckstud_knowledge.
  • Reply 69 of 248
    Quote:

Not only do you not know the meaning of the phrase "of the decade" but you also obviously need your buddy solpisism's course in reading comprehension.

Stellar?

Certainly not this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/te...ogue.html?_r=1

Motorola's "Droid has its weak spots, and some of them are heartbreaking. The big one is polish and simplicity; the Droid just doesn’t have enough. Techies may go nuts over its flexibility, but normal people are in for some floundering. Sometimes the keyboard doesn’t light up when it should. Sometimes the screen image doesn’t rotate when it should," David Pogue reports for The New York Times.

"The camera has an LED flash, which helps at close range at night, but the camera itself is balky and slow to focus and fire. You can record videos (at a high 720 by 480 resolution, although they don’t look any sharper) and upload them to YouTube, but you can’t trim the dead air off the ends first [as you can with Apple's iPhone 3GS]," Pogue reports.

"The Droid doesn’t work outside the United States, as the iPhone does (for an added fee). There’s no iTunes-like auto-synching software for the Droid, either, so loading music, photos and videos is a drag-and-drop operation," Pogue reports. "The Droid’s Web browser is good, but slower than the iPhone’s. And you have to zoom in and out by tapping +/- buttons or double-tapping the screen. That is, you can’t control how much to zoom, so you get far less control (and pleasure) than “pinching and spreading” with two fingers on the iPhone and Palm Pre. Ditto with maps and photos."

"The real bummer, though, is the apps. The Android Market may offer 12,000 of them, but the iPhone store has 100,000 — and over all, they seem to be more useful and imaginative," Pogue reports. "Shopping is more awkward on the Droid, too, because you have to do it all on the phone; you can’t use your computer, as you can for the iPhone. There’s not much room for the apps on the Droid, either. Although Verizon includes a 16-gigabyte memory card for your music and photos, apps have to be stored in a 560-megabyte chunk of built-in memory.

Actually, only 256mb is avaiable for apps. Lots of users' average for apps on the iPhone is about 400-600mb, and that's not even close to max, obviously. I guess iDon't have enough apps and iDon't have enough space to store them. Those are some awesome selling points.

As I've said before, when competing with Apple, "good enough" is never enough. The first battle is to kill off enough of Apple's mindhsare to cultivate your own. And very often, that battle is lost even before it's begun. Apple is already ahead of the game against the Droid. Big problem. If your product is not revolutionary out of the gate, it's going to fall victim to Continued iPhone Development(TM).

Here was the interesing part:

The big one is polish and simplicity; the Droid just doesn’t have enough.

That's a huge problem.
  • Reply 70 of 248
    Quote:

"Motorola’s new team faced a spectacularly difficult task and did a spectacularly great job."

And just like a newborn child taking it's "first steps" it might take years to "get it right" .... and I'm sure that you'll be there to point it out to us, except, of course, if they get it wrong.
  • Reply 71 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

My links to articles and sources from around the net vs. your speculation, conjecture, and anecdotal information.

Worked fine so far.

I just posted my personal opinion, laced with speculation, conjecture, and anecdotal information. Exactly what you do. No doubt I'll find common cause with a lot of members around here, but that's beside the point.

So you keep trying to convince all of us that you're not a Windows troll lost on his way to Winsupersite or Neowin, and I'll keep posting those links.

Deal?

As usual your confused. The main problem is you don't use the products you bash. Its not just with Microsoft its with every product made by any other company other then Apple. Its not like I'm the only one that has picked up on it, read other comments in this thread regarding your "informed" opinion.

Posting links written by others is useful in some cases but you use them to try and support your convoluted point of view.

You talk about trolls your one of the biggest trolls on this forum.
  • Reply 72 of 248
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I found this comment from the Pogue review interesting.....

Quote:

Droid is all masculine, all the time. When you slide the screen up to reveal the thumb keyboard, there?s no spring-assisted snap; it drags like a plow through soil. It?s all part of the manly man design concept.

I'm sure that will go over well with all the manly men but what will women think about the design?
  • Reply 73 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

And just like a newborn child taking it's "first steps" it might take years to "get it right" .... and I'm sure that you'll be there to point it out to us, except, of course, if they get wrong.

THe Droid appears to be off to a good start at least in the way of getting alot of coverage and hype. Its hard to say if anything is going to be successful when its only been out a day. Well not even a full day yet.

The slide out keyboard is most likely going to be one of the first hardware issues they need to fix. The keys are too flat the the top row is too close to the edge of the phone.

Only time will tell.
  • Reply 74 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

He had some good things to say, he had some bad things to say. Stellar, properly used, implies it was all good; it wasn't.

For a definition of "stellar" see: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/stellar

Then, if you can use it correctly in a sentence, we can talk about adding a row to teckstud_knowledge.

Only anoymous would use wiki for definitions. Here let me assist you at something a little more reliable:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stellar

Here you will see that stellar actually means outstanding. David Pogue said spectacular which actually trumps outstanding.

Kindly use Merriam -Webster when providing definitions with your homework next time.

JEESH.
  • Reply 75 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I found this comment from the Pogue review interesting.....

I'm sure that will go over well with all the manly men but what will women think about the design?

Forget the women - what about the girly mon?
  • Reply 76 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Stellar?

Here was the interesing part:

The big one is polish and simplicity; the Droid just doesn’t have enough.

That's a huge problem.

Not really- Here's the real problem:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/te...h/05pogue.html

Since Verizon seems to want a Droid-iPhone faceoff, here it is: the Droid wins on phone network, customizability, GPS navigation, speaker, physical keyboard, removable battery and openness (free operating system, mostly uncensored app store).

Funny- no mention of FLASH.
  • Reply 77 of 248
    Quote:

Only anoymous would use wiki for definitions. Here let me assist you at something a little more reliable:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stellar

Here you will see that stellar actually means outstanding. David Pogue said spectacular which actually trumps outstanding.

Kindly use Merriam -Webster when providing definitions with your homework next time.

JEESH.

Or "exceptional; wonderful", from the wiki.

Outstanding, spectacular, excpetional, wonderful . . . are all synonyms of "stellar", Teck.

It's a stellar phone, for an Android phone.
  • Reply 78 of 248
    Quote:

You talk about trolls your one of the biggest trolls on this forum.

If you "fish" in your favorite lake ... you're not "trolling" .... but if you go to someone else's "favorite" lake and then proceed to tell them that their lake sucks ..... that's trolling ...... and just plain bad manners to boot.
  • Reply 79 of 248
    Quote:

The overall review does not qualify as "stellar". There are several significant criticisms. You can choose to ignore those, but that doesn't change the reality, it just makes your characterization mistaken.
  • Reply 80 of 248
    Quote:

B]Since Verizon seems to want a Droid-iPhone faceoff, here it is: the Droid wins on phone network, customizability, GPS navigation, speaker, physical keyboard, removable battery and openness (free operating system, mostly uncensored app store). [/B]

And the rest of the comparison...

"The iPhone wins on simplicity, refinement, thinness, design, Web browsing, music/video synching with your computer, accessory ecosystem and quality/quantity of the app store."